Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Is there a newer patreon RSS feed? The one I have plugged into my player cuts out at the 90s for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Is there a newer patreon RSS feed? The one I have plugged into my player cuts out at the 90s for whatever reason.

The last newsletter was sent out on September 18. Is that the one you're using now?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Seems fitting that an always sunny place has bad weather when John is around.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It really doesn't get said enough that think tanks don't have peer review and are intellectually worthless.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Kind of being contrarian here but another way to think of the think tank worthlessness is that they have very biased peers and overly aggressive peer review.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

pangstrom posted:

Kind of being contrarian here but another way to think of the think tank worthlessness is that they have very biased peers and overly aggressive peer review.

Having an editorial line doesn't really count as "peer review." Only the opinions of the people at the top count, they're not seeking review from the entire field of the think tank world.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm just pointing out that you can make a good argument that people working off the grid without sufficient oversight is almost the opposite of what is wrong with think tanks.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Half of me wants them to do an episode about the whole Kashoggi debacle, but the other half fears there's not much that can be done with it other than just going "Crazy, huh? This is where we're at."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i think that their analysis was pretty solid in the last ep. pointing out his connections and that Qatar backs wapo , etc.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Brown Moses just got hit with a Full Mark Ames:

quote:

Some of the best known Syria regime-change hustlers and “experts”—Eliot Higgins of Bellingcat and the Saudi-funded Atlantic Council; Charles Lister of the Saudi-funded Middle East Institute, former CNN “Syria expert” and Atlantic Council fellow Michael Weiss, all major figures promoting today’s RussiaGate hysteria—together helped transform the @ShamiWitness account from a cretinous troll into a credible “ISIS expert”.

http://exiledonline.com/shamiwitness-when-bellingcat-neocons-collaborated-with-the-most-influential-isis-propagandist-on-twitter/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rofl

quote:

Higgins began his “open source intelligence” career under a misleading avatar — “BrownMoses” — as if Higgins, a doughy pinkish Midlands gamer, was some kind of swarthy Middle Easterner whose friends’ and relatives’ lives were at stake.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

loving hell, I didn't realise my grand deception started so early.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

loving hell, I didn't realise my grand deception started so early.

Namesearching in 16 minutes, huh Elliot?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You jacked off to ISIS execution vids.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I didn't realise your mom was called Isis.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Does the Atlantic Council know you kissed his mother with that mouth?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It really puts things into perspective when a luminary of the NGO industrial complex is an SA goon who scans the boards for any mention of his name to defend himself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you can't convince me that this isn't a simulation at this point

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It really puts things into perspective when a luminary of the NGO industrial complex is an SA goon who scans the boards for any mention of his name to defend himself.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

once you get those google alert push notifications going it's like your interns never have to log off

coathat
May 21, 2007

The coward mods won’t even probate him for boosting an isis recruiter

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brown Moses posted:

Don't say mom, you're not a Yank just because you're on their payroll.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

im liking the handful of salty comments on the patreon because they're getting too political

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

StashAugustine posted:

im liking the handful of salty comments on the patreon because they're getting too political

whoa, the war nerd got political talking about... military dictatorships

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
not surprising, brazil's a big country and people are invested in its elections unlike all the non-political things they talk about like china's treatment of the ughyr and uh Syria

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Brown Moses posted:

"actually I jacked off to your mom getting killed"
is a galaxy brain comeback

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

"actually I jacked off to your mom getting killed"
is a galaxy brain comeback

They can never -not- give themselves away, can they?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Btw the guest mentioned that there's a theory evangelical missionaries were encouraged to chip away at liberation theology, does anyone have a good source on that?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Btw the guest mentioned that there's a theory evangelical missionaries were encouraged to chip away at liberation theology, does anyone have a good source on that?

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but as a brazilian? Local evangelical churches (which went from like 8% of the population to over 30% in a couple of decades) -abhor- liberation theology. And local folk religions like candomble. It's mostly a minor talking point now since they have much juicier targets (the left, gays, public education) as it becomes a proper power in Brazil.

I remember it coming up in some of their sermons in the 90s when they were more focused on fighting the catholic church directly. Since then, they have mostly gone full culture war and just trusted that conservative cahtolics and people who like their religion active will migrate to them naturally, and they have mostly been right about it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It'd be interesting to compare the spread of evangelicalism in the Christian countries of the global South to the spread of Wahabism/Salafism in Muslim countries. Both movements have US backers, and seem to have targeted domestic progressive political and religious movements as their main enemies.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I wonder what their respective budgets are like. The saudis have oil money and their mosques are everywhere but there's still a lot of dough floating around evangelical circles.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/november/where-evangelicals-donate-most-ecfa-ministry-giving-tuesday.html

quote:

Giving continues to rise for many categories of ministry, according to new research released today by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA).

An analysis of the finances of more than 1,800 of its accredited members found a 2.2 percent rise in cash contributions from 2015 to 2016 (the latest year available). This group also saw a 3.6 percent rise in non-cash giving, which includes income such as government grants or real estate.

That adds up to $16.2 billion of giving—$12.6 billion in cash and $3.6 billion in non-cash—to evangelical ministries in 2016.

However they only show year-over-year changes to different spending categories, not absolute amounts.

I wonder how much central coordination there is among evangelical groups and how it compares to Wahhabi/Salafist groups? My gut feel is that it's more distributed but there's still probably lots of informal coordination through conferences and other organizations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spime Wrangler posted:

I wonder what their respective budgets are like. The saudis have oil money and their mosques are everywhere but there's still a lot of dough floating around evangelical circles.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/november/where-evangelicals-donate-most-ecfa-ministry-giving-tuesday.html

However they only show year-over-year changes to different spending categories, not absolute amounts.

I wonder how much central coordination there is among evangelical groups and how it compares to Wahhabi/Salafist groups? My gut feel is that it's more distributed but there's still probably lots of informal coordination through conferences and other organizations.

Having easier access to capital in the "Christian" world means a lot of these guys are heavily invested into resource operations in the third world. The 700 Club guy had African mines and was personal friends with Mobutu Sese Seko.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

good point, then the actual missions just have to be the peace corps out winning hearts and minds and spreading the good word

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ames talks a bit about his latest article at the end of the latest episode about Nasser.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the war nerd Iliad is fuckin incredible, I love how ridiculous it gets and the liberties Dolan takes with describing things

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Ames talks a bit about his latest article at the end of the latest episode about Nasser.

Still not even the most infamous goon in the world.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Atrocious Joe posted:

It'd be interesting to compare the spread of evangelicalism in the Christian countries of the global South to the spread of Wahabism/Salafism in Muslim countries. Both movements have US backers, and seem to have targeted domestic progressive political and religious movements as their main enemies.

Fundamentalist religious sects and organized crime groups seem to be the two forms of non-state actor that the United States have relied on the most consistently in situations where they needed an out-of-the-box anti-communist movement.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can't wait for evangelical mujahadin to blow up the empire state or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Helsing posted:

Fundamentalist religious sects and organized crime groups seem to be the two forms of non-state actor that the United States have relied on the most consistently in situations where they needed an out-of-the-box anti-communist movement.

Instant preexisting grievance, just add C4.