Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Soul Calibur 6 gets its Nier Automata crossover before FFXIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

When even honest healing is too much for someone.

quote:

if u do everything correctly i won't let you die

What makes healing fun is when people don't do things correctly and they don't die because you're a good healer.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

Argas posted:

Here’s hoping FFXIV gets a Tekken/Soul Calibur crossover out of that deal with Namco.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Weapon Damage is king.

Is one single point of weapon damage really more important than anything else?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Yes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Think about it this way: You're at level 70, and you've only hit 100 or so. That's a lot of damage each point represents.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gothsheep posted:

For tanks 1 weapon damage is worth about 17 strength which is worth around 120 Crit.

Substats are multipliers (that are divided) upon multiplier (that is also divided) upon addition (AP, which is also divided) to Weapon Damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

At same ilevel any weapon damage increase is worth more than literally any other upgrade.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

RedRaven posted:

Here’s hoping FFXIV gets a Tekken/Soul Calibur crossover out of that deal with Namco.

Yojimbo dumps Hildy and runs off with his true love, Yoshimitsu?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

SonicRulez posted:

Pandemonium Warden's chair would be a neat mount. Am I reading this right that you spawned some of these NMs in FFXI by getting random drops and trading them to NPCs?

There were a lot of NMs that were popped by randomly obtained items. And before you complain about that being bullshit (which it was), the alternative for high level NMs was (for much of the game's life) was random timed spawns, which people would bot to claim. And if one person was botting to claim, that eventually meant everyone trying to claim it would also be botting just to have a chance. The most notorious HNMLS on my old FF11 server would literally not allow anyone to join them unless they agreed to bot for the LS.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

RedRaven posted:

Only if I get the throw a Mishima into Hell's Lid :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
My extremely crude rule of thumb is that 1 weapon damage is equal to about 10 of your main damage stat (STR for tanks and melees, DEX for ranged, INT for casters, MND for healers), or 100 of a substat. The exact stat weights vary from job to job, but a weapon with more damage (and strength) is going to be an upgrade the vast majority of the time. If you're going from a weapon with two excellent substats to one with two useless ones, that might be an exception; the most recent one I can think of was Byakko's Codex, which was probably better than the non-upgraded tomestone one. Spell speed and piety, ew.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Weapon Damage is king, but, and I am only half-joking when I say this, tome weapons are for suckers and tryhards. Tome weapons and their higher WD and later upgradability are only a consideration if you're savage raiding. Anything below, and a primal weapon is totally okay, so you can spend your tomes on other stuff.

This is also a decent point. Tomestone weapons are a pretty big opportunity cost compared to armor or accessories; their biggest target audience is second-class raiders (like me) who need the extra damage boost to get through all of Savage. A lot of more casual players are going to be just as happy getting a crafted or primal weapon and using tomestones to fill in their other gear slots instead.

Unrelatedly, I should learn how to play dragoon halfway-competently sometime. All of my other jobs I'm at least competent (by Duty Finder standards) on, but DRG just eludes me. I blame the overly-long chains. Unfortunate, since it has some awesome fashion options and looks :sicknasty: in general.

and its /vpose is probably the most awesomely smug thing in the game

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 28, 2018

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've never done any of the extreme primals, how difficult are they normally? Would I have much trouble getting the hang of it if I do most the non savage and extreme content regularly? How much do you need to grind a primal to get it's weapon?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Veotax posted:

I've never done any of the extreme primals, how difficult are they normally? Would I have much trouble getting the hang of it if I do most the non savage and extreme content regularly? How much do you need to grind a primal to get it's weapon?

There's no hard and fast rules, it really depends on the primal. I don't always do EX PRimals but Tsuku EX was a really fun dance. If you're fairly comfortable in the other endgame fights I think you should be fine.

At worst you need 10 totems for any of the class weapons if that's all you're in for. PLD divides sword and shield into 7 and 3 respectively.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Argas posted:

God drat shameful is what this is. Also Tekken got the FFXV crossover before XIV did.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Indeed, it's quite glorious.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Oh god, what is that spear? I've got an elezen and I need it. :stwoon:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's the Castrum Abania spear, most of the weapons from there are really good.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karasu Tengu posted:

That's the Castrum Abania spear, most of the weapons from there are really good.

Ah, figured. I still need to get the sword and shield from there for the requisite Pretty Paladin glam. :sparkles:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Veotax posted:

ARR Difficulty: PF will probably not fill unless you unsync it, so it really doesn't matter. Ramuh has an enrage if you don't do his mechanics. Mog, Leviathan, and Ifrit do as well, but Leviathan's can be ignored if you have Level 70 Tanks and apparently you can skip Ifrit's because I was in a party yesterday that did. Never seen that before. :stare:

HW Difficulty: PF will probably not fill unless you unsync it, but some still have a little bite. From hardest to easiest, I found it to be: Sephirot > Nidhogg > Zurvan > Thordan > Sophia > Ravana > Bismarck

SB Difficulty: From hardest to easiest, I found it to be: Shinryu > Suzaku > Tsukuyomi > Byakko >= Susano >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lakshmi

Rathalos' difficulty depends on how well you can dodge/put together a party that can dodge.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

"Something something small dev team"

w/r/t crossover stuff 14 hasent gotten yet

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Suzaku EX is the second easiest primal fight in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not if the tanks keep getting Falcon Punched off the stage and the Healers can't do colors. :smith:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

rhoga posted:

^^^

Me and my grandpa.

:cheers:
I really like housing, and fitting the weird odds-and-ends Square gives us into a coherent space. I'm lucky that Geno and two more friends of ours gave me free rein in their houses, so I get a good amount of space to work with.
This friend told me he wanted something "Cape Cod" for his Mist small house. Google told me that meant light and nautical.

Mist 3, #48 if anyone wants to visit. I don't know if it's Cape Cod, but my friend liked it! The top floor is done, but the bottom floor's progress has been halted while I work on the new Medium plot.
I just bought a small house in Mist recently and now I'm in the process of basically cloning the left side of that room since there's realistically only one way to maximize glorious huge fake windows while blocking off lovely small windows and it's by spamming partitions on that side like you did.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Considering Laksmi, Susano, Byakko, Bismarck, and Ravana are all easier at sync, uh no.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lakshmi, Shiva, Susano, Garuda, Sophia, and Bismark and Byakko are all easier even when done synced. She's only easier than synced Leviathan because you can revive people who get flushed.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FINAL FANTASY XIV: You Can Revive People Who Get Flushed

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Suzaku is really easy if you have a group where enough people:
a) know the patterns and can make the most of uptime
b) have a good enough connection that they can sidestep the clockwise pattern instead of running around.

Otherwise she's not bad but especially in the first week you might find yourself wanting those extra seconds of dps. I'd put SB primals as: Shinryu>> >Tsukuyomi>>Suzaku>Byakko>Susano>>>Lakshmi. Lakshmi is arguably even easier than her normal version aside from having marginally bigger numbers.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
okay time to give this game another try

I asked in discord also, but people where discussing other things:

Should I play on the NA servers with goons while I am EU based? Is latency going to be a thing? And even worse, I guess everyone is doing their thing during NA prime-time?
Are there any recommendations for EU guilds? I feel like playing this game with fun people is atleast half the fun :shobon:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Martin BadClixx posted:

okay time to give this game another try

I asked in discord also, but people where discussing other things:

Should I play on the NA servers with goons while I am EU based? Is latency going to be a thing? And even worse, I guess everyone is doing their thing during NA prime-time?
Are there any recommendations for EU guilds? I feel like playing this game with fun people is atleast half the fun :shobon:

There is an EU Goon FC on Omega. You can get access to it through the Discord

Also you can keep asking question even if people are talking about the possible new classes in 5.0

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Tashilicious posted:

There is an EU Goon FC on Omega. You can get access to it through the Discord

Also you can keep asking question even if people are talking about the possible new classes in 5.0

Thanks

Also I was just reading the OP, should have done that before

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Not an EU goon, but almost all of the old EU goons have moved to the EU servers now since at some point they moved the U.S. servers to somewhere on the west coast and latency went from acceptable to really bad.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

leveled WAR and DRK to 70, love em. currently working on PLD because i'm a tank whore. up to level 63. have questions, because this class seems kinda clunky compared to the other two? here's the general idea what i've been doing so far.

for bosses: open with shield lob/threat combo, circle of scorn. switch to dps stance. do goring blade combo, spam royal authority combo until another goring blade needs to be put on. spirits within and shield swipe whenever they pop up

for trash pulls: shield lob/flash to gather, circle of scorn, spam total eclipse mixed in with an occasional flash to keep up blind and to ease off TP.

that seems to be about it?? aside from popping defensives every now and then. i guess my main point of confusion at the moment is the oath gauge. looking at abilities i've yet to learn, is it true i only get two abilities that interact with the gauge? with sheltron being the only one worth using for MT and intervention for OT? should i be saving sheltron for tank busters/known hard hitting attacks or just dumping it out because the gauge isn't hard to build?

also i'm confused about what divine veil actually does, because of the bit at the end that says "effect ends upon additional HP recovery via healing magic". when should i be using this?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kaubocks posted:

also i'm confused about what divine veil actually does, because of the bit at the end that says "effect ends upon additional HP recovery via healing magic". when should i be using this?

you activate it and it gives you a buff. if you receive a heal while that buff is on you it generates a party-wide barrier and cancels the buff.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

you activate it and it gives you a buff. if you receive a heal while that buff is on you it generates a party-wide barrier and cancels the buff.

:doh:

for some reason since that tooltip was written below everything else i thought it meant the party-wide barrier would be cancelled if you got healed again

i realize now i am a fool

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bit of a random question but is there any type of move Reprisal doesn't work on? I imagine it won't stop damage caused by things that are technically adds, like Tsukuyomi's fans, but does it apply to all boss mechanics they're technically the source of, like meteor circles and stack ups?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Also note that it doesn't give YOU a barrier, only everyone else in your party (so 3/7 people if within range). Use it before big partywide attacks and trigger it with a clemency if you have the downtime and a healer isn't also going to throw up barriers/regens to trigger it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

multijoe posted:

Bit of a random question but is there any type of move Reprisal doesn't work on? I imagine it won't stop damage caused by things that are technically adds, like Tsukuyomi's fans, but does it apply to all boss mechanics they're technically the source of, like meteor circles and stack ups?

It applies to everything that originates from the boss, but there are technically multiple instances of the boss behind the scenes and, especially in older content, debuffs might not be mirrored. Generally it will work on anything with a castbar but beyond that can vary depending on the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Weapon damage is only not better in the very niche case of 1 WD vs 300+ crit as Bard. And even then it probably ends up better.