Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wazzit posted:

Yesterday's time spent in Titan post got me wondering about my latest pie charts and stats.

Play more Scorch, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bushmaori posted:

Transformer mech fusion where each player ends up controlling a limb but only the head dude can see

Minor sidenote, but you should check out the previews for the game Override: Mech City Brawl...

Alehkhs posted:

Remember also that EA has a stipulation that means Titanfall 3 will most likely be done in the Frostbite Engine so who knows what that will mean.

Can't wait to punch through some walls with my titan.

Titanfall in Frostbite isn't that big a deal production-wise, because Frostbite's built for first-person shooters to begin with. It's more of a problem with games like Mass Effect, where you're really cramming that circular peg into a square hole because there's no base classes in the engine for silly things like inventory and tracking quests.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Titanfall in Frostbite isn't that big a deal production-wise, because Frostbite's built for first-person shooters to begin with. It's more of a problem with games like Mass Effect, where you're really cramming that circular peg into a square hole because there's no base classes in the engine for silly things like inventory and tracking quests.

I actually like Frostbite, I play enough Battlefield. But, Titanfall 2's engine is way cleaner than any Battlefield game I've played, ever.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I know half the fun is cool movement tricks, but air strafing has never been satisfactorily addressed in any Source game and being rid of it for more intentional absurd movement is a boon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Play more Scorch, my dude.

I'm pretty sure Wazzit is the definitive Laser Bro

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd normally tell someone to play more scorch because of the missing fun but Wazzit is like Lord Laser and his gifs are amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Playing Scorch for so long (especially vanilla nerfed Scorch) taught me hella zoning skills and environmental awareness that translates beautifully to playing Northstar.

Seriously, Northstar is basically Scorch's smoking hot British robo-wife.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Titanfall 2 campaign in GDQ tomorrow https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule/24

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's a pretty good idea but a game like Titanfall with a TTK being so low would be massively annoying when you die seconds within the match and have to keep finding new ones.

Limited number of respawns, maybe? There's no reason that you have to have only one life. Start pilots of with nothing but a pistol and knife, make 'em scrounge for guns.

I think Battle Royale as a gamemode could work for Titanfall, but not as the only one.

As for Titanfall in Frostbite...yeah, I don't see it being as much of an issue as cramming the RPG playstyle into the engine. It worked pretty well as the engine for the Mirror's Edge presequel.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I just want Hardpoint to have npcs again. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

As for Titanfall in Frostbite...yeah, I don't see it being as much of an issue as cramming the RPG playstyle into the engine. It worked pretty well as the engine for the Mirror's Edge presequel.

You know...I'll give you that. MEC was loving gorgeous, and the freerunning was technical, flexible, and really fun.

The only thing that gives me pause is how Source allows all sorts of weapon physics to operate, like Grav Star explosions generating thrust or curving EPG shots, etc

I know there are other examples.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They did a great job transforming the source engine because at first I couldn't tell it was (even if only the core engine). My biggest fear if we get to see a Titanfall 3 under Frostbite is getting stuck in animations or geometry. All recent battlefield games are plagued of "getting stuck in vaulting and if you spam jump you end proning". It took them like a year to make that your soldier just ignored small rocks in BF4 because you'd be running around and suddenly get stuck because there was a 4" brick on your way while on Titanfall, a game about movility, avoids all that kind of jank.

To clarify, this is coming from someone that has well over 2000 hours on Battlefield games since Bad Company 2. I love the engine but it has some jank that they never get to fix.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 27, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Argas posted:

Yeah I'm sure there'll be no issues making Titanfall with the Frostbite engine.

loving :dice: can't even get Frostbite working properly, I'm sure a team working with an engine they've never touched will do just fine. I think employees at Visceral commented on having to use Frostbite for Dead Space 3 or something and it being a poo poo show.

Not that I mind, Frostbite is gorgeous and Titanfall would be incredible on it, but I can see it causing problems for them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Titanfall 2 is the best FPS ever made.

There. I said it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I got really into Ion once I saw from this thread how awesome it was to laser kill ejecting pilots with it, but then they tweaked Ion slightly in a patch and it felt like they made it way harder to do that :( My xbox skills are not good enough to easily nail that :cry:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

MrBond posted:

I got really into Ion once I saw from this thread how awesome it was to laser kill ejecting pilots with it, but then they tweaked Ion slightly in a patch and it felt like they made it way harder to do that :( My xbox skills are not good enough to easily nail that :cry:
The big secret is gauging the peak of the ejection. That point where they slow down, and just before they start falling again is the best time to try and hit 'em. Just take the animation of the actual laser before it fires into account.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I just hope for Titanfall 3 they'll make shields work like in 1 again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I just hope for Titanfall 3 they'll make shields work like in 1 again

Why?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just prefer shields that recharge on their own, makes Titans have more survivability

Also I'd rebalance anti Titan weaponry for pilots, with Shields being more prominent, most anti Titan weapons would either;

Be good against Shields, but mediocre against their actual health(Charge Laser would be a good example of this in this system)

Be good against Armor, but mediocre against Shields(Archer is an example of this)

And some weapons while only average in damage output wouldn't be particularly hampered by either Armor or Shields(that magnetic grenade launcher)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Out of nostalgia I put the PC version back on and yeah it's still real good and it's easy to get games as long as you make sure to search through all modes. I'd say the PC playerbase is actually still pretty healthy in that it's got a good mix of ancient pros on their twentieth regen and average joes like me. It's still got some nice features like the grunts to help you contribute to the scoreboard even if other players are a bit above your level, and the pilot skills help even the playing field a bit. Coming from Destiny 2's PVP it's cool and obvious to me now how the game encourages you to get into the air and stay there, movement on the ground just flat-out feels not just slower but actually worse than jumping/wallrunning/sliding.

Was thinking about grabbing Black Ops 4 but may not even bother now.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Titanfall 2 is the best FPS ever made.

There. I said it.

You know what, it’s true.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I just prefer shields that recharge on their own, makes Titans have more survivability

Also I'd rebalance anti Titan weaponry for pilots, with Shields being more prominent, most anti Titan weapons would either;

Be good against Shields, but mediocre against their actual health(Charge Laser would be a good example of this in this system)

Be good against Armor, but mediocre against Shields(Archer is an example of this)

And some weapons while only average in damage output wouldn't be particularly hampered by either Armor or Shields(that magnetic grenade launcher)

Honestly this just leads to people not actually ever getting inside their titans, but just leaving them on follow mode all the time. The devs acknowledged this fact and deliberately changed the system for a reason, because it's more fun in TF2 and promotes map knowledge, zoning, and team play with titan team combos.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Today’s the two year anniversary, so play a match or two today. Do it for BT

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Watching the speedrun on GDQ had me all nostalgic about multiplayer again. I don't own the game anymore but I did take a screenshot of my stats when I hit G10 and "retired". Legion was my favorite Titan, and was at least past G10 as well.

Edit: Apparently my Devotion was G22 lmbo

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 28, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's funny to me because it took like one gen of playing Legion for him to permanently mark my Most Kills/Most efficient boxes on the stat screen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ularg posted:

It's funny to me because it took like one gen of playing Legion for him to permanently mark my Most Kills/Most efficient boxes on the stat screen.

Pretty sure that's for everyone because that stat is rigged.

Haha, my loving R97 is G45 :monocle:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ularg posted:

Legion is(was?) too loving good. None of the other Titans could win in a 1v1 against a skilled pilot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly this just leads to people not actually ever getting inside their titans, but just leaving them on follow mode all the time. The devs acknowledged this fact and deliberately changed the system for a reason, because it's more fun in TF2 and promotes map knowledge, zoning, and team play with titan team combos.

How does Titans having rechargeable shields lead to that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

How does Titans having rechargeable shields lead to that?

Data on their end demonstrated that people for the most part didn't pilot their titans in TF1, but rather left them on auto. When your titan takes permanent damage the motivation is to use it more consciously and strategically. Many streamers have commented on this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Data on their end demonstrated that people for the most part didn't pilot their titans in TF1, but rather left them on auto. When your titan takes permanent damage the motivation is to use it more consciously and strategically. Many streamers have commented on this.

Maybe have the shields only recharge while being piloted then

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I could maybe get down with that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I could maybe get down with that

It even matches with established auto Titan behavior, since they aren't as effective as a piloted one

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Then what's the motivation to not just hop in long enough for a charge? Imo the battery system in TF2 is pretty perfect. It offers all sorts of opportunity to look out for your team, be greedy, be ballsy, get revenge etc.... It's really good. I never played TF1, but recharging shields sounds boring.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
> Spawn in Titan
> Exit Titan
> Use Battery
> Enter Titan without hitting the ground

If no one has the muscle memory of this down I don't believe you really "Played" Titanfall 2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Then what's the motivation to not just hop in long enough for a charge? Imo the battery system in TF2 is pretty perfect. It offers all sorts of opportunity to look out for your team, be greedy, be ballsy, get revenge etc.... It's really good. I never played TF1, but recharging shields sounds boring.

Obviously there would be a delay of some sort

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ularg posted:

> Spawn in Titan
> Exit Titan
> Use Battery

If no one has the muscle memory of this down I don't believe you really "Played" Titanfall 2.

Honestly I prefer to summon the titan on foot, then activate the battery after it lands then hop in, feels less likely for something to go horribly wrong

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I prefer to summon the titan on foot, then activate the battery after it lands then hop in, feels less likely for something to go horribly wrong

If I have a chance to summon a titan while I'm already spawned it that means I haven't pushed the enemy teams poo poo in enough.

I tend to just go ham in pilot mode until I die then switch to Titan mode for the rest of the game when the other team starts getting them. Being a lone titan that isn't a ronin kinda sucks. So I usually use my titan only to fight other titans (it sounds dumb and obvious, I know, I just don't specifically try to farm pilot kills with an early drop)

I'm usually just in such a flow that I don't remember to use my titan until I have to stop, which is usually death.

But when I doooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGlKgf9rt48

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ularg posted:

If I have a chance to summon a titan while I'm already spawned it that means I haven't pushed the enemy teams poo poo in enough.

I tend to just go ham in pilot mode until I die then switch to Titan mode for the rest of the game when the other team starts getting them. Being a lone titan that isn't a ronin kinda sucks. So I usually use my titan only to fight other titans (it sounds dumb and obvious, I know, I just don't specifically try to farm pilot kills with an early drop)

I'm usually just in such a flow that I don't remember to use my titan until I have to stop, which is usually death.

But when I doooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGlKgf9rt48

I usually get in my Titan as soon as possible because while I'm decent as a pilot, I'm much better in a Titan, plus by the time enemy Titans start showing up, if I'm without one it doesn't take very long to get another one, especially since I almost always use that ability that increases how much meter you get for hitting with anti Titan weaponry

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ularg posted:

> Spawn in Titan
> Exit Titan
> Use Battery

Hell yeah. For the longest time I would eat sleep and breath that match opener, with Phase Embark for kicks. Agreed that spawning in titan is rule numero uno.

I recently had to change things up. This game loses its fun when you get too used to one weapon/kit/titan and forget all the other fun tricks. Holo Pilot + C4 + Holopilot Nova is the most fun I've had in this game in a long rear end time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

holopilot is fun it’s lame it took so long for it to get where it’s at