Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
He didn't moderate jack poo poo, he was calling for leftists to be purged and driven out of the country literally a week ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

The speed that every major media outlet has taken to normalize this is really breathtaking.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And our President just congratulated him. He also sent a thing congratulating Donald Trump on his election as well.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

frajaq posted:

nuke us please

starting by São Paulo

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

quote:

In a TV interview with Câmera Aberta in the 1990s, Bolsonaro said that if he ever became President, he would use this as an opportunity to shut down the National Congress and instigate a military coup himself:

"I have no doubts – I would begin the coup on the very first day! And I am sure that at least 90% of the people would commemorate or give me an ovation. The Congress today is good for nothing, they only vote in favor of the president's projects. If he is the person who makes the decisions, who calls the shots, who laughs at the Congress, then start the coup at once, and let's make this a dictatorship"

brazil rip

THS
Sep 15, 2017

what is the state of the brazilian left outside the workers party

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
From the NYT story

quote:

After the first round of voting, in which Mr. Bolsonaro received just shy of the 50 percent required to win outright, some political analysts expected he would moderate his rhetoric in order to appeal to centrist or undecided voters.

They were wrong.

nail "they were wrong" to the grave of every "political analyst", tia

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

THS posted:

PSOL doubled their share of voters on the congressional party but they are still like 10% of congress and uhh lol about the rest.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

THS posted:

The only party with any representation outside of PT is PSOL, which has about 1/5 the number of members in congress and no governors and like 2 mayors. It has virtually no presence in the major labor unions and suffers from many of the same problems of DSA in the US (outside of maybe Rio, it has a mostly middle class, mostly white, mostly urban membership).

I am uncertain about what is going to happen with it. On one hand, it might grow if PT members decide to leave PT given the anti-PT sentiment. On the other, it might be completely overshadowed by the PT as PT becomes the main opposition party to Bolsonaro.

It's also a somewhat sad history. PSOL had a chance to make real opposition from the left to PT when PT was in power, but Heloisa Helena was their main figure, and she was a pro-life rear end in a top hat who ran a campaign that focused solely on PT's corruption and who would frequently say things like "we don't need new taxes" when the PT tried to make the tax code slightly more progressive. When the base tried to revolt against her she pulled a bunch of shady poo poo and made the party lose a lot of credibility.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i feel bad for you guys, but now youre just like america, so you got that going for you,

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

red sampson posted:

i feel bad for you guys, but now youre just like america, so you got that going for you,

Nah. If anyone proposed a Republican tax code in Brazil, they'd be branded a communist immediately. In Brazil, overall taxes are regressive, the highest bracket on income taxes is ~27% and there is no capital gains dividends tax or taxes on large inheritances.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Oct 29, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

joepinetree posted:

The only party with any representation outside of PT is PSOL, which has about 1/5 the number of members in congress and no governors and like 2 mayors. It has virtually no presence in the major labor unions and suffers from many of the same problems of DSA in the US (outside of maybe Rio, it has a mostly middle class, mostly white, mostly urban membership).

I wouldn't go that far, they have a decent amount of representation on Quilombola and Indigenous movements.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

I wouldn't go that far, they have a decent amount of representation on Quilombola and Indigenous movements.

so Bolsenaro's going to raze the rainforests?

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Victory Position posted:

so Bolsenaro's going to raze the rainforests?

nestle needs that sweet sweet palm oil it claims it doesnt use and steal the water also.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm hearing bad things, beyond Bolsenaro winning, which is horrid enough:

https://twitter.com/castriotar/status/1055836519318122496

Sorry if this is a repost.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

joepinetree posted:

Nah. If anyone proposed a Republican tax code in Brazil, they'd be branded a communist immediately. In Brazil, overall taxes are regressive, the highest bracket on income taxes is ~27% and there is no capital gains tax or taxes on large inheritances.

wait really??? what the gently caress

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

red sampson posted:

Brazil is like America on steroids. Chattel slavery, settler colonial history, and virulently racist white people plus a heavy dose of firearm availability. White Brazilians responded to affirmative action in higher education by donning blackface costumes and taunting black students

statim
Sep 5, 2003
This place is. You have no visceral idea of what its like in these places (institutionally weak, impoverished).

I'm not sure if I'm more pissed of about the left or the right
-(Rant about PT people waving the red flag like its 1917, OPTICS you idiots)

-Insert something about basic education levels and long term consequences there of. When did mandatory HS education occur happen in teh US, when did it occur here. No quick solutions, hold the center but that's not happening, no one likes hearing their economy is hosed fo the next two generations, that is only if mechanization of basic unskilled jobs does not ,sklfjsofj3oj!@~#~#!@$E, protectionist idiots ! eL:AKJ#

Welp, we will all muddle through. Positive thinking

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Brazil is like America on steroids. Chattel slavery, settler colonial history, and virulently racist white people plus a heavy dose of firearm availability. White Brazilians responded to affirmative action in higher education by donning blackface costumes and taunting black students

Someone correctly said it's what the Confederacy would be like if it survived to this age.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I am sorry the cia hosed you guys up alot in the 1970s i didnt think it would stick

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

babypolis posted:

Actually, I hosed up in the translation. There are capital gains taxes for foreigners, and capital gains are taxed as regular income for locals. Dividends aren't taxed.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Oct 29, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

brazilian gun ownership is expensive and new licenses are highly restricted lately, and carrying one outside your home is also highly restricted

"high firearm availabiility" isn't wrong, but it's more in the sense of Mexico than USA

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

brazilian gun ownership is expensive and new licenses are highly restricted lately, and carrying one outside your home is also highly restricted

"high firearm availabiility" isn't wrong, but it's more in the sense of Mexico than USA

*spins bowtie*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

babypolis posted:

remember this classic image

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SKULL.GIF posted:

shooting a twelve year old girl in the head is like getting your mail in the morning in brazil.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SKULL.GIF posted:

pff, they've got brick walls on most of the buildings, what do you mean they're poor

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

normally i'd say that leaving your country on account of the right taking power is cowardly and you're better off fighting them on their own turf, but i'll make an exception for brazil. plutonis and every other brazilian goon, get the gently caress out when/if you can

i dm'd the person on instagram from brazil who shared those fascist barbie memes that i shared itt, saying newark has a large portuguese speaking population (not just brazilian). she says she's gonna think about it, but tonight she's just gonna cry

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

normally i'd say that leaving your country on account of the right taking power is cowardly and you're better off fighting them on their own turf, but i'll make an exception for brazil. plutonis and every other brazilian goon, get the gently caress out when/if you can

i dm'd the person on instagram from brazil who shared those fascist barbie memes that i shared itt, saying newark has a large portuguese speaking population (not just brazilian). she says she's gonna think about it, but tonight she's just gonna cry

most of the twitch people banned me for asking if they had any shame

statim
Sep 5, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

From my perspective this is actually one of the more hosed up things I've realized.
If these farmer/colonial/ people who are agricultural peons had legit access to a something with firepower, the local gauchos might be a tad more careful.
Never thought I'd actually agree with the 2nd amendment absolutist types, but this place.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

red sampson posted:

most of the twitch people banned me for asking if they had any shame
i'd ask how high the percentage of high-profile brazilian twitch streamers is, but it's probably "way too loving high"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

statim posted:

From my perspective this is actually one of the more hosed up things I've realized.
If these farmer/colonial/ people who are agricultural peons had legit access to a something with firepower, the local gauchos might be a tad more careful.
Never thought I'd actually agree with the 2nd amendment absolutist types, but this place.

A lot of people are going to be looking for protection from narcos.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A lot of people are going to be looking for protection from narcos.
considering bolsonaro's fascist law-and-order views, that's probably not gonna end well

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
how about a goon project, lets set up the brazilian version of https://www.areyousorryyet.com/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I look forward to "FARC II: Brazilian Bugaloo"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
People sharing this image:

Hopefully this election leads to a similar surge in activism as it did in the US.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I don't know where you'll go, but Brazil seems to be in a "you should leave" state.

Sorry rainforest. Sorry indigenous tribes. Sorry future. As an american, I know I caused this somehow

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

joepinetree posted:

People sharing this image:

Hopefully this election leads to a similar surge in activism as it did in the US.

loss edits are getting weird

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Grondoth posted:

I don't know where you'll go, but Brazil seems to be in a "you should leave" state.

Sorry rainforest. Sorry indigenous tribes. Sorry future. As an american, I know I caused this somehow

well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is true for a lot of latin americans living in the United States. A peruvian friend of mine is an extreme Obama loving normie dem, but supported fujimori against humala
from a few pages back, but my friend is originally from peru and he's a bit more to the left as a dem and wants people to run in areas that have been shunned by the state and national party, such as upstate new york. he also loved that fujimori slaughtered a bunch of commies in his native country

this is also something that happens with filipino-americans who support democrats here but love them some duterte