Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Well they are sailors, could I maybe chop wood with my ginormous axe for once instead of rocks?

Ho ho man it's gonna blow your fuckin' mind when I tell you about Botanist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Well they are sailors, could I maybe chop wood with my ginormous axe for once instead of rocks?

they tried once but the botanists union pitched a fit

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

World War Mammories posted:

you could pick up the drat rocks

But then I would disappoint the guild master, get kicked out of the guild, and have to learn to tank as a GLD instead. Is that what you want? Me having to pick up PLD?

UHD posted:

they tried once but the botanists union pitched a fit

But the miners are okay with me breaking rocks for a living...

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 29, 2018

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I'm still angry monks got rockbreaker instead of warriors.

Anywho, can anyone link a good crafting guide? I ran out of fights to level.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Anywho, can anyone link a good crafting guide? I ran out of fights to level.

That's the only guide you'll ever need.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Which class is the most engaging healer? And which would be the best for joining an endgame static?

acu
Oct 13, 2014

walruscat posted:

Which class is the most engaging healer? And which would be the best for joining an endgame static?

All 3 have their place although it's currently AST and SCH that tend to be paired up.

If I had to choose one out of the three I'd say SCH is the most interesting one.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

walruscat posted:

AST has the most busy work if that's your thing, but all three have the same chances of joining a static.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
WHM has holy.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
just did a Tam-Tara run with 2 newbie dps and a mentor healer. 3 guesses which one was the complete dumbass that pushed a pretty short dungeon to 40 minutes :suicide:

walruscat posted:

AST has constant oGCD management and vomits buffs. SCH has big plays and crit shields. WHM has Holy.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

pupuru posted:

just did a Tam-Tara run with 2 newbie dps and a mentor healer. 3 guesses which one was the complete dumbass that pushed a pretty short dungeon to 40 minutes :suicide:

was it u? :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Playing not-WHM in dungeons is awful for this reason.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

jokes posted:

Playing not-WHM in dungeons is awful for this reason.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy and assize

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

pupuru posted:

AST has constant oGCD management and vomits buffs. SCH has big plays and crit shields. WHM has Holy.

My buddy an I were running that dungeon, he was AST and I was SMN and he was dpsing and I was healing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tashilicious posted:

Holy and assize

But no OG Miqo'te rear end size

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

But no OG Miqo'te rear end size

the lack of an rear end slider is obscene especially when one of the designers has a thigh-high stocking fetish.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

WHM it is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/HJZ_artemi/status/1043149470781718528

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

walruscat posted:

WHM is the best dungeon healer, just because Holy is so strong even without the micro-stun on it. Scholar's quite good at dungeoneering too, and Astrologian is fine unless you get synced below 52 and lose your AOE and a good chunk of your card management. In which case it's still fine as a healer, just don't expect to be doing tons of damage.

As for Savage, I main Scholar when I'm not getting awkwardly moved to DPS, and I can't imagine playing any other healer, but that's just me. Having so much burst healing, even while on the move, and still being able to throw out mitigation and regens is amazing, though it does have a steep learning curve between Aetherflow management and the sheer number of buttons it has. You won't have too much trouble if you take the time to :gitgud: on any of the three though.

Alternately, just pick a job based off of which one has your favorite glamours and aesthetics.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I really like SCH and the free SMN but I just suck at pre-shielding people so I feel like I'm wasting the class. WHM is more my speed.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

WHM is the best dungeon healer, just because Holy is so strong even without the micro-stun on it. Scholar's quite good at dungeoneering too, and Astrologian is fine unless you get synced below 52 and lose your AOE and a good chunk of your card management. In which case it's still fine as a healer, just don't expect to be doing tons of damage.

As for Savage, I main Scholar when I'm not getting awkwardly moved to DPS, and I can't imagine playing any other healer, but that's just me. Having so much burst healing, even while on the move, and still being able to throw out mitigation and regens is amazing, though it does have a steep learning curve between Aetherflow management and the sheer number of buttons it has. You won't have too much trouble if you take the time to :gitgud: on any of the three though.

Alternately, just pick a job based off of which one has your favorite glamours and aesthetics.

I really, really want to git gud with AST because I love the style, but when things go south I easily start messing up from trying to multitask and deal with the cards :(

Also mispositioning Earthly Star is peak shame because everyone can tell you hosed it up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spuzzz posted:

I really like SCH and the free SMN but I just suck at pre-shielding people so I feel like I'm wasting the class. WHM is more my speed.

It comes with experience and familiarity with the content. It kind of sucks to play WHM, see a tank buster come out, and say, well I hope the tank saved a coolodown because there's nothing I can do about this :shrug:

Yesterday in O11N I had a DRK eat a tank buster with 3 stacks of vulnerability and didn't cast TBN. Dunno what to tell you dude, divine benison isn't saving you there. He turned into a fine red paste and was really confused on why he died. Try not big dick tanking and tank swapping for once in your life.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 29, 2018

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
It should be noted that if your static is going to have a DRK, WHM's relative value kicks up a few notches since benediction and living dead pair really nicely together. It turns LD into a slightly longer hallowed ground, more or less.

I favor WHM simply because if I have any more buttons I tend to start fat fingering things. My experience with AST is that it also guzzles MP and it can actually be really dicey to recover from a bad situation, eg. dying whereas a WHM can pick their MP back up off the floor real fast, same for SCH.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah even if lucid dreaming is down, the next assize or aetherflow isn't that far unless you literally just used it before dying, and you have a bunch of free heals to keep going. On AST, better hope your next card is Ewer :suicide:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

A lot of these "are the classes viable" questions can be answered really simply:

What looks coolest to you?

For tanking I get that paladin probably has more defense options, but gently caress that, I want to murder poo poo with a big rear end sword or axe because it looks cooler to me.

They're pretty okay with balancing classes, this game isn't like WoW where the developers seem to actively loath certain classes and nerf them into oblivion.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Alot of the same questions can also be answered with "Hey don't worry about it. You can level them all in time and they share gear apart from the weapon." :unsmith:

Especially at this point in the expansion with Palace of the Dead / Squadrons before 61, and Heaven on High after.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes, please do HoH so the stupid hairstyle gets cheaper :(

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Spuzzz posted:

You cast succor occasionally and then go back to spamming broil while using eos to do all the actual healing with a couple indoms but not too many because every indom you fire off could have been an energy drain instead.

Preshielding isn’t really what scholar’s strength is anymore. Off-gcd healing and fairy healing is scholar’s thing now. We talk a lot about spreading critlos, but those are unreliable and the cooldown is too long to use them outside of specific mechanics.

Don’t be scared off of scholar because of preshielding.

Also savage healing is just planning out when each healer will use the most powerful parts of their kit (whispering dawn, indom, assize, bene, etc) so that both of you can maximize DPS. There is that whole healer chasing thing for vanity parses, but you’re better of just being efficient with your most powerful stuff to reduce gcd healing. And in dungeons eos can handle probably half of the healing or more, and the rest of it is indoms and lustrates. Scholar really is just a summoner that uses a heal pet instead of a damage pet, and instead of dreadwyrm we cash in on a better ruin.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 29, 2018

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You cast succor occasionally and then go back to spamming broil while using eos to do all the actual healing with a couple indoms but not too many because every indom you fire off could have been an energy drain instead.

Preshielding isn’t really what scholar’s strength is anymore. Off-gcd healing and fairy healing is scholar’s thing now. We talk a lot about spreading critlos, but those are unreliable and the cooldown is too long to use them outside of specific mechanics.

Don’t be scared off of scholar because of preshielding.

Also savage healing is just planning out when each healer will use the most powerful parts of their kit (whispering dawn, indom, assize, bene, etc) so that both of you can maximize DPS. There is that whole healer chasing thing for vanity parses, but you’re better of just being efficient with your most powerful stuff to reduce gcd healing. And in dungeons eos can handle probably half of the healing or more, and the rest of it is indoms and lustrates. Scholar really is just a summoner that uses a heal pet instead of a damage pet, and instead of dreadwyrm we cash in on a better ruin.

My other issue with SCH is ending up in a random raid with 2 SCH, I feel like that's a lot of wasted overlapping shielding.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I'm levelling a white mage for the first time and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm still very early (lv 37) but it's fun to try and manage contributing to DPS while keeping the party alive.
I'm pretty crap at remembering to switch into cleric stance but I'm working on it - so far managed to avoid any serious embarrassments but I'm sure they'll come!

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Spuzzz posted:

My other issue with SCH is ending up in a random raid with 2 SCH, I feel like that's a lot of wasted overlapping shielding.

look at it this way: 2x SCH means double the chances for crit adlo

the mentor WHM stood there and watched me die. Twice. Maybe they were a dev punishing me for wall-to-wall pulls.

Banjo Kaczynski fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 29, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tashilicious posted:

the lack of an rear end slider is obscene especially when one of the designers has a thigh-high stocking fetish.

I'd rather have an rear end slider over like 95% of the skirts coming equipped with stockings.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I'm levelling a white mage for the first time and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm still very early (lv 37) but it's fun to try and manage contributing to DPS while keeping the party alive.
I'm pretty crap at remembering to switch into cleric stance but I'm working on it - so far managed to avoid any serious embarrassments but I'm sure they'll come!

There's no "switching" into Cleric Stance anymore (thankfully), it's just a flat 5% damage buff. It ain't gonna make that big of a difference in normal dungeons.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Leal posted:

I'd rather have an rear end slider over like 95% of the skirts coming equipped with stockings.

We deserve more than just the rear end slider. Where’s my thigh slider so I can show that my cat girl does squats instead of just having a big rear end.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Kanfy posted:

There's no "switching" into Cleric Stance anymore (thankfully), it's just a flat 5% damage buff. It ain't gonna make that big of a difference in normal dungeons.

oh cool, I must have been reading out of date stuff - not something to be overly concerned with then?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

oh cool, I must have been reading out of date stuff - not something to be overly concerned with then?

Cleric Stance is basically DPS Mage FoF, just not as good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Help, I bought my boyfriend Minfilia's outfit and hair and his lala is cuter than ever

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mango Polo posted:

Also mispositioning Earthly Star is peak shame because everyone can tell you hosed it up.

Not a problem, because you can just detonate it early and the evidence of your shame is gone, and also IT'S NOT LIKE ANYBODY EVER STANDS IN IT ANYWAYS THEY GO "OH LOOK THERE'S A GROUND EFFECT I'M GONNA gently caress OFF TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ARENA BECAUSE I DON'T WANT BIG FREE HEALING AFTER HEAVY RAIDWIDE DAMAGE AT ALL AND I'LL BITCH AT THE HEALER WHEN I INEVITABLY DIE"

But maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Doing the 60+ quests for warrior and just ugh

Gorge is the worst