Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Hallelujah I've found an actual exercise that I can easily do anywhere and feel in my actual goddamn abs. Russian twists are awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dum Cumpster posted:

Is konstantinov really dead or do I not get Russian humour?

not a lot of people on Instagram talking about how he was a literal neo-nazi :thunk:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

Is konstantinov really dead or do I not get Russian humour?
Maybe a little bit of both.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 28, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was Malanichev who announced his death, I'm not sure if he would joke about something like this.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

It was Malanichev who announced his death, I'm not sure if he would joke about something like this.
I think it's legit or a really solid prank. There's a big post on r/powerlifting and they usually crackdown on rumors about things like that.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
stabbed to death in a street fight hmmm

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/powerlifting/comments/9s4bwb/konstantin_konstantinovs_has_passed_away/

Right, so I'm reading either a street fight or a heart attack? I think we need some real confirmation here.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Say Nothing posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/powerlifting/comments/9s4bwb/konstantin_konstantinovs_has_passed_away/

Right, so I'm reading either a street fight or a heart attack? I think we need some real confirmation here.

Why not both? Can't lose a street fight if your heart stops before it's over.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Ed Coan was on my flight home. I said hi.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Ed Coan was on my flight home. I said hi.

My gf met him at the SWIS conference

He has meat hooks for hands and is very nice.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

MA-Horus posted:

My gf met him at the SWIS conference

He has meat hooks for hands and is very nice.

Did your gf gently caress him? Do you even have a gf? Did he gently caress you? If so gz, only a salami man could truly appreciate a old powerlifter.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I finally did my last plate milestone friends, well the last of the 1/2/3/4 in specific. It was supposed to be a rest day but I went to the gym anyway to spend some time with my brother and hit 315 on the squat. Surprisingly, it didn't feel heavy at all on my back, the only real tough part is my quads firing out of the hole because that's my weakness. Guess all the ab work and pull ups and poo poo is paying off.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I thought about it some and the truth is, the reason I still don't have a gym membership and do regular barbell training is because I don't care enough about it. It would be nice to have numbers to compare on deadlift, etc. and would be much stronger too, but still am lazy to some degree. I work out regularly, but do so in the most convenient way possible. Good news is doing high volume stuff consistently still pays off in many ways. Bad news is, i'm doing crossfit basically. :gibs:

Do use a 40 kg KB tho, started with a 10 kg, that is progress. Made lots of progress w/r/t weight & body composition. But still, thanks to reading threads like this, the barbell calls.

Perhaps now, I am afraid I will fail to meet my own expectations should the attempt be made.

Welcome to a dark hour of the soul.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Just go do some deadlifts and stuff. I've messed around with bodyweight type stuff before and it's cool but IMO, and this is obviously subjective, nothing feels better than getting a new deadlift/squat/whatever heavy lift PR. I don't even think it's a macho thing because I'm the farthest thing from that, it's just a sort of deep down visceral sort of feeling like you conquered something big, and it doesn't even have to be heavy. Hitting 315 on deadlift felt just as good as when I hit 405. Benching 135 felt just as good as hitting 225.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I "deadlifted" an engine block a while back, not really just lifted it up enough to move it around on it's corner. Felt pretty heavy. But yeah, just gotta do it.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Metanaut posted:

Can you get CBD oil? It's insanely good for stress and other million things.

I've been taking it for few weeks now, feeling really chill all the time, good sleep and all joint pain etc. that has been bothering me lately is complete gone.

I can, it’s legal here. Thanks for the tip - do you have any recommendations on what to look for in a good quality oil/warning signs for stuff that’s going to be useless?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol CBD is snake oil until proven otherwise

doverhog
May 31, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

lol CBD is snake oil until proven otherwise

No it's not, it has lots people who have used it saying it works. The fact it was or is illegal is an explanation for why it's not common to use currently.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

doverhog posted:

No it's not, it has lots people who have used it saying it works. The fact it was or is illegal is an explanation for why it's not common to use currently.

That's not proving it works from a scientific standpoint. Get to pubmed if you wanna answer that question.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sure, but the comparison to what old snake oil was is not accurate either.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Pesmerga posted:

I can, it’s legal here. Thanks for the tip - do you have any recommendations on what to look for in a good quality oil/warning signs for stuff that’s going to be useless?

I'd start with 5 or 10% stuff first. You can't really tell how you're going to react and what dose is good for you, so try a smaller dose and increase or decrease based on your experience. If you get "weaker" stuff like 5%, you can always take a bigger dose if you want a stronger effect.
Taking too much usually just makes you slightly drowsy.

I have personal experience only from two brands:

- Cibdol, supposedly one of the highest quality oils. Retains fluidity so it's easy to take, no strong taste.
- Zen CBD, seems to work fine. Thick even in room temperature, really strong taste.

Kiki Health is on par with Cibdol from what I've heard.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

doverhog posted:

Sure, but the comparison to what old snake oil was is not accurate either.

It's pretty darn accurate. CBD oil gets called a magic cure all by the likes of that avacodo wolfe guy or whatever pseudoscientific woolooloo scam artist kids are into these days. They claim it'll cure everything from cancer, to diabetes, to gout, to squat butt wink.

That's different than claiming a medicinal use based off citing a scientific journal with a decent impact rating, however.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Everyone can look up CBD and make up their own mind, with the internet. It is fundamentally different from old snake oil just on that basis.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

doverhog posted:

Everyone can look up CBD and make up their own mind, with the internet. It is fundamentally different from old snake oil just on that basis.

You should also do your own research on vaccines and make up your mind about that too.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Just go do some deadlifts and stuff. I've messed around with bodyweight type stuff before and it's cool but IMO, and this is obviously subjective, nothing feels better than getting a new deadlift/squat/whatever heavy lift PR. I don't even think it's a macho thing because I'm the farthest thing from that, it's just a sort of deep down visceral sort of feeling like you conquered something big, and it doesn't even have to be heavy. Hitting 315 on deadlift felt just as good as when I hit 405. Benching 135 felt just as good as hitting 225.

Yeah this is correct

I'm a dork (a swole dork) but the feeling of LIFTING HEAVY THING and using every drat fiber of my being to get that heavy thing off the floor is just so so good

It's like some primal elemental feeling

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

You should also do your own research on vaccines and make up your mind about that too.

Is this a fair comparison? It's not like some ancient phage is going to come roaring back to eradicate your children because you did/didn't try out some CBD oil. Basically different risk/reward scenarios. With CBD what's the worst case? You are out some money? I remember some goon would always get snarky anytime you mentioned using a foam roller in the general ylls thread. Like chill out and let me do my drat thing, even if it's placebo. That said, it is good to be skeptical so I'm not knocking that.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Please limit discussion ITT only to stuff that has been scientifically proven to be beneficial, like dead milk powder laced with artificial sweeteners.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone start a "toning" thread for all the CBD and kettlebell talk

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is this a fair comparison? It's not like some ancient phage is going to come roaring back to eradicate your children because you did/didn't try out some CBD oil. Basically different risk/reward scenarios. With CBD what's the worst case? You are out some money? I remember some goon would always get snarky anytime you mentioned using a foam roller in the general ylls thread. Like chill out and let me do my drat thing, even if it's placebo. That said, it is good to be skeptical so I'm not knocking that.

I'm just knocking on the "do your research" part not CBD oil itself. It's a dangerous path going down that rabbit hole of doom and sorrow.

There's a nice pseudoscience thread in SAL if you wanna really get into the topic of CBD oil.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
so is the beefy russian man dead or not

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I guess the lifting gods really want to tell me something when I can do all benching, rowing and shoulder pressing movements fine. But when I dare try to curl a weight I get a small stabbing pain in the shoulder...
This is one of the weirder specific muscle injuries that I have gotten.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i did my own internet research on the 9/11 terrorist attacks and now i'm pretty sure george bush did it. there are lots of people who say he did

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You know what is scientifically 100% proven to be 100% working? And working better than anything else?

Steroids.

Do Steroids, today

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Yes, the comparison between dead children and some dude rubbing oil their legs and feeling good about it or not is very apt. I've recommended jojoba oil for rubbing into your beard, that probably didn't have medical studies behind it either.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

LordArgh posted:

i did my own internet research on the 9/11 terrorist attacks and now i'm pretty sure george bush did it. there are lots of people who say he did

In fact he did, or is morally responsible for it anyway. So in a way the internet was, and is, right. :coolfish:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm only interested in one type of snake oil, iykwim

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CBD oil is extremely effective for fibromyalgia and other such conditions

doverhog
May 31, 2013

We should talk about whether there is statistical proof about creatine doing anything useful next. Someone page feelix.

*i know there is more proof than for CBD, that's a joke

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

We should talk about whether there is statistical proof about creatine doing anything useful next. Someone page feelix.

*i know there is more proof than for CBD, that's a joke

It's pretty easy to notice the effects if you're lifting weights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

CheesyDog posted:

It's pretty easy to notice the effects if you're lifting weights

Anecdotes are not evidence.