Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, but in that example, the ultimate problem is what they're saying, not the way they're saying it. If someone goes "god, what about all those Muslim terrorists" and someone slides in to go "#NOTALLMUSLIMS", then they would in fact be perfectly justified in doing so.

Personally, I think the comic is bad and the blog post is quite a stretch to avoid saying "oops, sorry", but I'm sure there's a better place to discuss it in detail than here. Regardless, it's definitely a term with some baggage - and why bother with it when "fishmeching" describes basically the same thing but without the problematic origins?

fishmeching is more missing the forest for the trees

just super insistent about being technically correct about the situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, but in that example, the ultimate problem is what they're saying, not the way they're saying it. If someone goes "god, what about all those Muslim terrorists" and someone slides in to go "#NOTALLMUSLIMS", then they would in fact be perfectly justified in doing so.

Personally, I think the comic is bad and the blog post is quite a stretch to avoid saying "oops, sorry", but I'm sure there's a better place to discuss it in detail than here. Regardless, it's definitely a term with some baggage - and why bother with it when "fishmeching" describes basically the same thing but without the problematic origins?

I don't actually necessarily disagree, when I first read the comic I sympathized with the sealion as well because sealions are cute while the humans are coded as snobby upper class people. I am loling at fishmeching as a replacement though.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
My reading of the comic is the humans are entitled assholes who don't want to examine their biases, and the sealion is definitely a jerk, but there is no online equivalent of breaking into someone's house and pestering them about their biases while they are trying to eat breakfast, so this should have never caught on as a term.
edit:
Maybe I missed a layer, and the sealion is actually an invited guest in every panel, but is just being a jerk about it? Stop inviting the jerk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twodot posted:

My reading of the comic is the humans are entitled assholes who don't want to examine their biases, and the sealion is definitely a jerk, but there is no online equivalent of breaking into someone's house and pestering them about their biases while they are trying to eat breakfast, so this should have never caught on as a term.
edit:
Maybe I missed a layer, and the sealion is actually an invited guest in every panel, but is just being a jerk about it? Stop inviting the jerk.

The sea lion isn't invited.

I think originally it was just a comic about people who, while technically correct, never let poo poo go and hound you from discussion to discussion forever, basically missing the "look, if I've stopped arguing you can assume you won the debate" part of online discussion etiquette.

Then the term caught on and it kinda grew beyond the comic.

Best Wondermark is Parades, though

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Condiv posted:

wait, there's actually people cheering for someone to die at the hand of fascist death squads in the trump thread?

If there's one thing I've learned from the Revolutions podcast, it's that the comfortable centrists/middle class will 100% of the time align with the right wing/reactionaries.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems like Hillary plans to run for President again.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/413572-hillary-clinton-leaves-door-open-for-2020-run-id-like-to-be-president

Hillary Clinton leaves door open for 2020 run: 'I'd like to be president'

Former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton during an event over the weekend left the door open to a possible 2020 run, saying that even though she doesn't want to run, "I'd like to be president."

Clinton's comments come as speculation has increased over whether she will launch another bid after the midterm elections.

"Do you want to run again?" Recode’s Kara Swisher asked during a Friday night Q&A with Clinton.

"No," Clinton replied quickly, sparking laughter from the audience. But when Swisher pressed her further, she added: "I’d like to be president."

Clinton went on to say that "there’s going to be so much work to be done" after a Democrat "hopefully" wins the next presidential election.

"The work would be work that I feel very well prepared for having been in the Senate for eight years, having been a diplomat in the State Department," she said, listing off the qualifications that she often touted during her previous run.

She added that she's not going to think about a possible run until after the upcoming midterm elections.

Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, announced this month that they will be embarking on a 13-city tour over the next year, hosting discussions about current events and politics across the country.

Clinton in September released a few afterward for her campaign memoir, "What Happened," criticizing the Trump administration’s policies and expressing concern that the nation’s democracy is “in crisis.”

She has stepped up her presence in the national spotlight, appearing in media interviews with greater frequency to criticize the GOP and President Trump.

Longtime Clinton aide Philippe Reines in a Politico profile earlier this month said there is a "not zero" chance that the former Secretary of State will run against Trump.

"It’s curious why Hillary Clinton’s name isn’t in the mix—either conversationally or in formal polling—as a 2020 candidate," Reines told Politico. "She’s younger than Donald Trump by a year. She's younger than Joe Biden by four years. Is it that she’s run before? This would be Bernie Sanders's second time, and Biden’s third time. Is it lack of support? She had 65 million people vote for her."

When Politico asked if she's running, Reines said, "It’s somewhere between highly unlikely and zero, but it’s not zero."

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its a comic about insulting people, then not wanting to own up to it because talking to 'their kind' is beneath you, then getting mad because the sealions are getting uppity and won't drop the really very minor insult and just let you enjoy your breakfast in peace

I forget how this relates to Democratic politics but it probably involves hissing at a black activist who shows up at your expensive fund raiser asking about the Crime Bill

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i cannot believe that hillary clinton has the gall to run again after she published that petulant whiny book about how everyone failed her in 2016

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Condiv posted:

last time i tried to participate in the trump thread someone gifted me a nazi avatar for suggesting that maybe, just maybe, we should reflect on our leadership when it became obvious that a bunch of immigration atrocities happened under obama. you see, that stuff got dragged out into the open because of the poo poo trump was pulling, and because everyone kept mistaking photos of obama era detention facilities and practices as the stuff trump was doing. of course, the trump thread posters insisted that there could be no discussion of what obama did cause we had to push back against trump right now and stop him, and afterwards we could take inventory of what happened under the democratic administration of 2008-2016.

Could've sworn that was uspol.

I remember it because it happened while you were yelling at me for not hating joe manchin in the correct fashion. :shrug:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Condiv posted:

i cannot believe that hillary clinton has the gall to run again after she published that petulant whiny book about how everyone failed her in 2016
Entitlement is a hell of a drug.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

She's had over a decade at this point, has she figured out a reason she wants to run for yet?

Also the way the press is talking about the Brazilian election is very concerning and shows how the New York Times and WSJ will go when a Republican decides to go open fascism. Any faith in the Forth Estate is severely misplaced.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 29, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

come the gently caress on.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1056561476838641664

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Obama so doesn't give a gently caress about pretending anymore.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
So that would put Obama quite a bit to the right of this mythical compassionate conservative on the issue of mistreating immigrants?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

SURELY he's not talking about the compassionate conservatives of the early 2000's who cause hundreds of thousands of deaths for no loving reason, right?

E: Read this post with a lethal dose of sarcasm please.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Part of the reason Democrats have been lackluster in attacking literal concentration camps and stealing children is almost certainly to make sure Obama's legacy isn't talked about. I'm not sure if that quote is Obama memory holing his own actions to avoid the guilt or just being intentionally dishonest.

The Obama's sure spend a lot of time defending these supposedly good Republicans that don't actually appear anywhere for some reason.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Radish posted:

Part of the reason Democrats have been lackluster in attacking literal concentration camps and stealing children is almost certainly to make sure Obama's legacy isn't talked about. I'm not sure if that quote is Obama memory holing his own actions to avoid the guilt or just being intentionally dishonest.

The Obama's sure spend a lot of time defending these supposedly good Republicans that don't actually appear anywhere for some reason.

No, but you see, Obama would only put unaccompanied minors in cages and solitary confinement! An argument I have actually read on these here forums.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If Hillary wants to be involved in government again, she should run for the Senate again. Take Chuck Schumer's seat away from him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FuturePastNow posted:

If Hillary wants to be involved in government again, she should run for the Senate again. Take Chuck Schumer's seat away from him.

I dunno if they can find as easy a layup as she barely made last time though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

No, but you see, Obama would only put unaccompanied minors in cages and solitary confinement! An argument I have actually read on these here forums.

Um, EXCUSE ME, but have you considered that the people hurt by Republicans who aren't also hurt by Democrats are important and matter?!

*gives no fucks about the other 95% of people who are harmed under both political parties*

(if I had to pinpoint the single biggest flaw in the worldview of these folks, it's that they seem to believe that most harm/suffering is caused by Republicans; the vast majority of people who are suffering under both political parties are basically just written off)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 29, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

Obama was pretty terrible for immigrants but we pretend it was better because he was less overt about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Radish posted:

Even before Obama, the Dems were reluctant to stand up for immigrant rights. Plenty of them were willing to put their names on anti-immigrant legislation during the Bush and Clinton administrations.

The thing is that a fair number of Dems are perfectly fine with roving deportation squads kidnapping Hispanic children and sending them to random locations in Central America. They Broke The Law, after all. It's an opportunity to shore up their "law and order" credentials on people who can't vote anyway by cracking down on illegal immigration, while slightly expanding foreign worker quotas and asylum levels to show that they like legal immigrants (and provide an ample cheap workforce for corporations).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hey sexpig, while you’re here, did you see what I said in polititoons? You didn’t respond so I just wanted to make sure.

It’s also now part of the official rules thread so that there’s no confusion.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Even before Obama, the Dems were reluctant to stand up for immigrant rights. Plenty of them were willing to put their names on anti-immigrant legislation during the Bush and Clinton administrations.

The thing is that a fair number of Dems are perfectly fine with roving deportation squads kidnapping Hispanic children and sending them to random locations in Central America. They Broke The Law, after all. It's an opportunity to shore up their "law and order" credentials on people who can't vote anyway by cracking down on illegal immigration, while slightly expanding foreign worker quotas and asylum levels to show that they like legal immigrants (and provide an ample cheap workforce for corporations).

A reminder that the only reason "dreamers" are a thing is because in 1996 Bill Clinton signed, with bipartisan support, a bill that made it impossible for undocumented immigrants to ever legalize their status without leaving the country. The 1996 law makes it so that anyone caught undocumented within the US is barred from even applying for a visa for 3 years if they were here less than a year, and 10 years if they were here longer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frightening Knight posted:

Hey sexpig, while you’re here, did you see what I said in polititoons? You didn’t respond so I just wanted to make sure.

It’s also now part of the official rules thread so that there’s no confusion.

oh, yea, sorry bout that, figured I was clearly being sarcastic with it but yea I get it and should stop using that stuff even as a jackoff joke.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sexpig by night posted:

oh, yea, sorry bout that, figured I was clearly being sarcastic with it but yea I get it and should stop using that stuff even as a jackoff joke.

Oh I’m not mad at you, I just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn’t singling you out. :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's all good!

joepinetree posted:

A reminder that the only reason "dreamers" are a thing is because in 1996 Bill Clinton signed, with bipartisan support, a bill that made it impossible for undocumented immigrants to ever legalize their status without leaving the country. The 1996 law makes it so that anyone caught undocumented within the US is barred from even applying for a visa for 3 years if they were here less than a year, and 10 years if they were here longer.

Dreamer poo poo rules because it was really one of the first examples of modern neoliberalism failing as Clinton pushed for a 'solution' that would 'protect' immigrants by basically giving them a feel good coat of paint on 'welcome to legal slavery you filthy immigrants' and it was still attacked as evil dems conspiring against Real America to basically give anyone who comes in a voter card and welfare check.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:stare: as much as i find him a contrarian rear end, i do hope he and his family are safe. Brazil is loving scary right now.

Dude hasn't slowed down at all, I'm genuinely concerned he's going to get murdered. He's exactly the kind of outspoken absolutist that fascists kill.

https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/1056952595615506435

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea you can critique a lot about Glenn and I've called him a smug dick too, but you can't deny he's genuinely motivated by a search for a truth and is willing to put his neck out there doing it.

Stay safe, contrarian ghost :ohdear:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Could've sworn that was uspol.

I remember it because it happened while you were yelling at me for not hating joe manchin in the correct fashion. :shrug:

No, someone from the trump thread bought me a second nazi av after the above incident cause I guess they were just that angry about what I posted

Oh wow obama, thanks for illustrating my point so well. As I said in the trump thread, it’s important to discuss our leaders pulling vile poo poo while the topic is fresh cause there will be no impetus to discuss it later. People will either say “that’s old news let the past be the past” or dems will try to pretend it never happened and the centrists will go along with that.

All the people saying “we have to pay attention exclusively to what trump’s doing or he wins” were just trying to bury the issue in much the same way Obama’s trying to right now

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 29, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glenn's husband is also in government so he's a higher visibility target then most. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Glenn's husband is also in government so he's a higher visibility target then most. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

bad, this dude has outright said Brazil needs to purge the reds and poo poo. Like, we'll see if he actually DOES but he's already at least made it clear he has no problems with targeting fellow politicians too.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Bolsonaro himself has directly threatened Greenwald over twitter prior to the election, one of them is going to wind up dead.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think somebody already mentioned this elsewhere, but Obama is literally :thunk:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There actually are a couple of compassionate conservatives, they are a minuscule percentage of conservatives as a whole that hold no positions of power in the party. Nobody cares about them and they will never matter in politics.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hey lightningknight, does idiot fall under the new rule?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There actually are a couple of compassionate conservatives, they are a minuscule percentage of conservatives as a whole that hold no positions of power in the party. Nobody cares about them and they will never matter in politics.

they're called democrats, hence this thread

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

Hey lightningknight, does idiot fall under the new rule?

Hm. Probably not because it’s such common vernacular. I don’t disagree with the spirit of the idea that it is but I’m going to pick my battles.

We all know the primary offensive word that rule was created for.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There is no such thing as a compassionate conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

He is an openly gay member of PSOL, so almost certainly a target. The question is how willing Bolsonaro is willing to go a couple with such a high international profile.

• Locked thread