Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

google is now requiring android manufacturers to offer security updates for two years from release. i'm sure this won't quietly be forgotten when no one actually bothers with it like last time they tried this
are they still doing the thing where they say they're pushing security updates but they aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

in sarnsung's case, you can tell you're getting updates if your phone slows down

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
project treble is totally going to fix all of this and won’t be immediately hacked around by vendors

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

in sarnsung's case, you can tell you're getting updates if your phone slows down

italy literally just fined them 5 million euros for pushing an update that sucked lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

project treble is totally going to fix all of this and won’t be immediately hacked around by vendors

it's called project treble because the third time's the charm, right? please? c'mon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
android 666: treble trouble

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Endless Mike posted:

italy literally just fined them 5 million euros for pushing an update that sucked lmao

whoa looks like they also fined apple over their botched PR/tech rollout for the iphone battery problems. both of these fines kick rear end

also project treble is not mandatory, samsung have said they aren't going to use it

and the new requirement for security updates on phones that sell 100k+ is... something, at least. it looks fairly toothless though, even for phones that fall under it: the first year of security updates are required to be released quarterly over the calendar year, but the second year of updates don't appear to have a mandated schedule, just "the manufacturer will provide them" or something like that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

whoa looks like they also fined apple over their botched PR/tech rollout for the iphone battery problems. both of these fines kick rear end

this sounds like a great way to stop European devices from ever getting updates again.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Management posted:

this sounds like a great way to stop European devices from ever getting updates again.

lmao dude you'd apologize for slavery if stebe suggested it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lmao dude you'd apologize for slavery if stebe suggested it

Steve has been dead for a long time and my endorsement of slavery has nothing to do with him

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Management posted:

Steve has been dead for a long time and my endorsement of slavery has nothing to do with him

I appreciate your radical honesty.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's literal loving pocket change, it does not "kick rear end"

what would kick rear end is the full and immediate seizure of all apple's assets within their jurisdiction (and subsequent redistribution to the poor, with the bulk of the payments being made to members of oppressed groups) and a formal indictment of all of the company's top leadership

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

why yes, that sounds like a reasonable plan that would totally work, and is totally in line with punishment for a botched PR campaign

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

google is now requiring android manufacturers to offer security updates for two years from release. i'm sure this won't quietly be forgotten when no one actually bothers with it like last time they tried this

wow. one full iPhone cycle

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

how many times has google done the "no, this time we are serious about forcing oems and carriers to provide updates or at the very least security updates, really we are" dance. four? five? more?

is it more or less than the number of times theyve promised that is totally going to be the year that we get serious about making and selling hardware?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it’ll happen around the time they figure out how to make a ui animate as smoothly as apple

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

it's literal loving pocket change, it does not "kick rear end"

what would kick rear end is the full and immediate seizure of all apple's assets within their jurisdiction (and subsequent redistribution to the poor, with the bulk of the payments being made to members of oppressed groups) and a formal indictment of all of the company's top leadership

italy couldn't even bring themselves to throw the book at a convicted kidnapper that was dumb enough to revisit the eu with an active arrest warrant against her, there's no way they're ever going to get around to this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you went back to italy?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i was held up in customs for 3 days until I agreed to upgrade to project oil cause it took that long for my phone to boil off the butter's water

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

President Beep posted:

android 666: treble trouble

ahem

the trouble with trebles

:tipshat:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, i concede to that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but i'm all about the bass

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

why yes, that sounds like a reasonable plan that would totally work, and is totally in line with punishment for a botched PR campaign

you are a republican.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
turns out andy rubin sucks????? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/technology/google-sexual-harassment-andy-rubin.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

having andy rubin's dick in your mouth is a worse experience than running his operating system on your phone.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Friend of mine had his Nexus 5X die finally after touting its lifespan. Made a reservation (?) at Best Buy for a Moto some poo poo that’s $250. iPhone 7 at $449 is too expensive.

but since he knew the nexus would break , he’s now only faced with the simple task of alternating the phone between the freezer and oven like a digiorno to try and recover some sort of token that’s on it .

I don’t have a copy of the DSM V handy - what’s this affliction called again ?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Partycat posted:

rubin brin syndrome

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Partycat posted:

Friend of mine had his Nexus 5X die finally after touting its lifespan. Made a reservation (?) at Best Buy for a Moto some poo poo that’s $250. iPhone 7 at $449 is too expensive.

but since he knew the nexus would break , he’s now only faced with the simple task of alternating the phone between the freezer and oven like a digiorno to try and recover some sort of token that’s on it .

lol what kind of fuckin' rube keeps the only copy of important data on a loving smartphone anything

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i saw the "yeah you can chuck it in the freezer and maybe get it to boot long enough to hack it into disabling the high-performance cores" poo poo online and immediately went "lol gently caress that, i can just wait"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
holy lol the verge just gave a 3 to the red hydrogen gimmick phone, that's like a negative number from anybody else

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/18027782/red-hydrogen-one-review-all-hype

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

holy lol the verge just gave a 3 to the red hydrogen gimmick phone, that's like a negative number from anybody else

this is the kind of android I respect

a high concept and totally garbage phone by a company that probably shouldn't make more phones

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol literally a 3ds (with headache-inducing lenticular screen) but as a lovely $1300 phone

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it has a weird rugged grippy exterior for when you're KICKING rear end and TAKING A BARF BECAUSE THE SCREEN INDUCES NAUSEA

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you should definitely trust google with your iot security

https://twitter.com/jgamblin/status/1056309872659185665

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

red's tacky rear end industrial design made so much more sense to me when I learned the founder used to be ceo of oakley

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lmao

quote:

RED has spent the last year building up expectations around this “holographic” screen. It’s only shown the phone to a small number of people — including director J.J. Abrams, who supposedly said the phone was “ground-breaking, barrier-smashing, bar-raising, and badass.”

nearly forgot about all that hack style endorsement :allears:

lol just lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its still a feature that most people don't use but nintendo got the stereoscopic thing right with the new 3ds where it has the eye tracking thinger

it just works

its still silly, but it works

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

red's tacky rear end industrial design made so much more sense to me when I learned the founder used to be ceo of oakley

I hate their stupid logo. It looks like something you'd see on a toy camera from the dollar store

What's kerning precious

e: also, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it's a big shiny red circle :jerkbag:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 29, 2018

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

oh lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I hate their stupid logo. It looks like something you'd see on a toy camera from the dollar store

What's kerning precious

limited edition pickup truck rear end logo