Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bots swarming that post haaaard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
from my work i've really started to lament the decline and destruction of the traditional pension and with all my heart wish there was some basic "human pension" you got just for being human once a month every month or something

but i dont think wanting that means its reasonable to talk to people early in their career and tell them that they shouldn't contribute to a 401k or something because of capitalists

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

twice burned ice posted:

So are you just not saving for retirement, or...?

Like what do you think people should do with their money to make sure they don't starve once they're no longer able to work?

die, obviously

what hubristic idiot would want to live to old age today

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

luxury handset posted:

you and i both agree it's real dumb to deploy regular troops to the border. i just dont think it's going to turn into a killing spree

We do. The entire situation makes me nervous because of the people running the show. I have no confidence in elected leadership with this. You're probably right nothing is going to happen. I just hope I'm wrong.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

selec posted:

Imagine yourself asking s single parent who works at McDonalds this question. What should they say to you?

The inability for people to build wealth and the issues that is causing in our country does not mean that if you have the ability to build wealth you should squander it because you believe you can somehow maintain ethical consumption in capitalism.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

thegalagakid posted:

We do. The entire situation makes me nervous because of the people running the show. I have no confidence in elected leadership with this. You're probably right nothing is going to happen. I just hope I'm wrong.

my rule of thumb is that the military doesn't want to endorse or get involved with any of trump's idiot schemes to shoot people illegally but they're in a special bind because unlike other portions of the federal government apparatus, the president is technically the guy directly in charge of the military in a way that he isn't for, say, health and human services

so if trump says "throw a parade" or "send soldiers to the border" they have to do it, even if they slow roll and delay and minimize as much as possible the execution of said idiot scheme. but it doesn't mean you're going to put anyone with a rifle within a mile of the border itself

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

tbp posted:

from my work i've really started to lament the decline and destruction of the traditional pension and with all my heart wish there was some basic "human pension" you got just for being human once a month every month or something

but i dont think wanting that means its reasonable to talk to people early in their career and tell them that they shouldn't contribute to a 401k or something because of capitalists

"making my retired life worse to own the capitalists"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't have any for ya sorry, if you think it's a great idea money to dump money into index funds on the assumption that someone else will always be there to pay more for them then you did when you need the money despite vulture capitalists hollowing out the economy and forcing more and more people into poverty, go for it.

You are full of telling people their wasting their time on bad choices but really light on explaining what meaningful options people have.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Those are a lot of rallies. It could be real stressful on his physical and mental health.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Reik posted:

The inability for people to build wealth and the issues that is causing in our country does not mean that if you have the ability to build wealth you should squander it because you believe you can somehow maintain ethical consumption in capitalism.

I do not judge people who don't perceive a meaningful future for themselves in the current state of the world.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I am morbidly fascinated to hear what your investing advice is.

If he’s like the median American he likely had no assets of appreciable value beyond a home and therefore no need to have sophisticated understanding of optimal saving strategies. The truth is the best most Americans can do is keep paying down their mortgage and debt.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

tbp posted:

I have a neighbor who's going to be getting 3 separate pensions and I am very jealous.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Reik posted:

I don't think VitalSigns is arguing that small-scale ownership of equities is bad because it implicates you in capital. I think he's taking the position that the entire financial market is going to implode in one big heightening of contradictions and never recover. You know, the complete collapse of the global market economy. Which, hey, maybe it will, and in which case pretty much anything you do with your puny fiat currency is vanity and you're most likely going to be enslaved by a local warlord anyway.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

selec posted:

I do not judge people who don't perceive a meaningful future for themselves in the current state of the world.

that's a bit different from someone decrying the idea of saving for retirement with all the verve of copy on the back of a 10 gallon plastic bucket of powdered eggs

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

So are you just not saving for retirement, or...?

Like what do you think people should do with their money to make sure they don't starve once they're no longer able to work?

Obviously the government should guarantee that won't happen, but :lol: This is America.

The last thing is what should happen.

I think this idea that 401k's are going to secure your retirement is a myth. Like if markets were perfectly rational, then as an atomized individual sure owning a piece of a company you expect to generate future profits might work, but there's a fallacy of composition here. If everyone is just dumping their money into index funds then prices aren't really a rational expectation of future profits anymore, they just represent a hope that someone else will be along to pay even more for those shares than we did forty years hence. And in the real world CEOs are looting the hell out of their companies and leaving shareholders and workers holding the bag.

This pollyannaish idea that markets always go up when you take the long view goes back basically 60 years, ignores plenty of examples of stock markets in some countries just bottoming out and disappearing, and depends on assuming an unprecedented post-war period of economic prosperity will continue forever.

But whatevs I'm just some idiot on a dead hetero comedy forum, all the capitalists tell you to put your money in the market, and they're all rich so they must know what they are talking about.

Jaxyon posted:

You are full of telling people their wasting their time on bad choices but really light on explaining what meaningful options people have.

I don't think individuals have meaningful options in our system, just constrained choices between various bad and worse options

E: I'm going to drop this since it's off-topic, feel free to get the last word in if any of you want, I'd sure love to be convinced there's hope for anything besides working until we drop dead with the carrot of a secure retirement ever dangling just ahead

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 29, 2018

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

my position is the military is a bunch of guys with guns and you shouldnt put them in a defensive position opposing a crowd of people if you dont want those people to die. its impossible to be sure this wont escalate and turn into an "incident"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

One of these is gonna be in my city. I don't think I'll be able to get off work to protest though.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Jaxyon posted:

rare Funko Pops

https://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/p/PopVinyl_PopStarWars/917/HolographicDarthMaul/

Geez, people are insane. I will never understand the appeal of expressionless bigheaded characters riffing on pop culture.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s very telling that Trump isn’t even going to Nevada and Arizona in the final week. GOP is probably seeing terrible numbers there.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Codependent Poster posted:

One of these is gonna be in my city. I don't think I'll be able to get off work to protest though.

Aww, but it's gonna be a party! He was just in Indy though, wonder if it will be elsewhere.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

I think this idea that 401k's are going to secure your retirement is a myth. Like if markets were perfectly rational, then as an atomized individual sure owning a piece of a company you expect to generate future profits might work, but there's a fallacy of composition here. If everyone is just dumping their money into index funds then prices aren't really a rational expectation of future profits anymore, they just represent a hope that someone else will be along to pay even more for those shares than we did forty years hence. And in the real world CEOs are looting the hell out of their companies and leaving shareholders and workers holding the bag.

This pollyannaish idea that markets always go up when you take the long view goes back basically 60 years, ignores plenty of examples of stock markets in some countries just bottoming out and disappearing, and depends on assuming an unprecedented post-war period of economic prosperity will continue forever.

But whatevs I'm just some idiot on a dead hetero comedy forum, all the capitalists tell you to put your money in the market, and they're all rich so they must know what they are talking about.

lmao at like five specific things in this post

Stexils posted:

my position is the military is a bunch of guys with guns and you shouldnt put them in a defensive position opposing a crowd of people if you dont want those people to die. its impossible to be sure this wont escalate and turn into an "incident"

there won't be a crowd of people though. in folks minds they are fearing the idea of armed troops on the other side of a fence from a group of poor migrants. the armed troops probably wont be there, but the group of poor migrants definitely wont be there because migrants generally don't go right up to the us border and attempt to cross it without authorization on broad daylight with a bunch of armed dudes standing around watching them do it

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s very telling that Trump isn’t even going to Nevada and Arizona in the final week. GOP is probably seeing terrible numbers there.

The NV early vote is looking good for Dems but that could mean everything or nothing, so

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think individuals have meaningful options in our system, just constrained choices between various bad and worse options

Please do not take financial advice from VitalSigns.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

This is a strange way to interpret literally all of the evidence in front of your eyes.

I’m basing it off what Shep Smith told the Huffington Post.

”The Washington Post” posted:

Part of the reason might come from Murdoch’s reported push for more news programming at the network. Smith told the HuffPost in 2016 that when Murdoch took over the network, he said: ” ‘I’m a newsman. I want to be the best news organization in America.’ ”

“He wants to hire a lot more journalists, he wants to build us a massive new newsroom, he wants to make more commitments to places like this [studio], to hire reporters to work on beats, just enlarge our news-gathering,” Smith added. “When the biggest boss, who controls everything, comes and says, ‘That’s what I want to do,’ that’s the greatest news I’ve heard in years. And he didn’t mention one thing about our opinion side.”

Of course everything Fox News has done since 2016 suggests Murdoch may have changed his mind, or that he’s very hazy on the definition of “news”.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

luxury handset posted:

my rule of thumb is that the military doesn't want to endorse or get involved with any of trump's idiot schemes to shoot people illegally but they're in a special bind because unlike other portions of the federal government apparatus, the president is technically the guy directly in charge of the military in a way that he isn't for, say, health and human services

so if trump says "throw a parade" or "send soldiers to the border" they have to do it, even if they slow roll and delay and minimize as much as possible the execution of said idiot scheme. but it doesn't mean you're going to put anyone with a rifle within a mile of the border itself

on the plus side, if anyone knows how to plausibly pretend to be working on something while not doing anything, it's IT staff soldiers

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fishing with the fam posted:

Just imagine being this terrified of the world around you. How does she even leave the house.

I’m terrified of the world around me because it seems to be full of monsters devoid of empathy willing to fall in line of strongmen who promise them the chance to bully and hurt anyone they deem “different”. Different strokes, huh?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stexils posted:

1) as has been mentioned, there probably won't be much of a crowd
2) at this time it looks like they won't be in a defensive position opposing a crowd of people, they'll be posted various places doing various logistical things and maybe watching the border with drones and helicopters so they can tell an adult if they see migrants

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

selec posted:

Imagine yourself asking s single parent who works at McDonalds this question. What should they say to you?

There’s nothing wrong with not knowing how to invest unless you were giving investing advice thirty minutes ago

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phobic Nest posted:

https://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/p/PopVinyl_PopStarWars/917/HolographicDarthMaul/

Geez, people are insane. I will never understand the appeal of expressionless bigheaded characters riffing on pop culture.

If you know anyone who works in retail where they carry them, just bring up the subject of Funko collectors and you'll get to learn just how creatively that person can swear!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

selec posted:

"Uh sir, this is a McDonalds".

Holy poo poo this is the first time i've used this unironically.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The 401(k) thing is gonna get to a stress test point as the boomers start retire en-masse and we’re seeing what happens when people start cashing out.

Something tells me we’ll see the stock market in general start to flame out as desperate brokerage firms run to Millenials and the next generation entering the workforce, screaming “you had better invest 25% of your paycheck or you’ll die hungry!” like they’re pushing people to put in 15% now. Every time that it gets “good”, nervous boomers cash out resulting in another transfer of wealth from the young to the old.

I’m investing in a 401(k) but every year I start to question more if I’ll ever see a goddamned red cent from it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

selec posted:

"Buddy, they don't even let ME gently caress Grimace"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ripoff posted:

The 401(k) thing is gonna get to a stress test point as the boomers start retire en-masse and we’re seeing what happens when people start cashing out.

Something tells me we’ll see the stock market in general start to flame out as desperate brokerage firms run to Millenials and the next generation entering the workforce, screaming “you had better invest 25% of your paycheck or you’ll die hungry!” like they’re pushing people to put in 15% now. Every time that it gets “good”, nervous boomers cash out resulting in another transfer of wealth from the young to the old.

I’m investing in a 401(k) but every year I start to wonder if I’ll ever see a goddamned red cent from it.

It's not like their money is going to disappear. The only way you won't see anything from your 401(k) is if society collapses.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Tacier posted:

If the market keeps diving he won't shy away from talking about it, but will seamlessly shift from taking credit for it to blaming it on something the democrats did.

I've already heard this from wingnut type conservatives. "The market is dropping because they think Democrats will get elected"

It's heads I win, tails you lose, always and forever. It's just sad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tacier posted:

I’m basing it off what Shep Smith told the Huffington Post.

Of course everything Fox News has done since 2016 suggests Murdoch may have changed his mind, or that he’s very hazy on the definition of “news”.

I mean, just because Shep Smith has enough of a conscious to not want to advance the horrific fear mongering and propaganda of his network doesn't mean that he hasn't figured out how to delude himself on why, no really, we're a real news network.

Its like the Never Trumpers saying they don't want to leave the Republican party because they want to save it from the people who have stolen it. Delusion is a hell of a thing, even when its not just done deliverately to rationalize bad stuff.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

E: I'm going to drop this since it's off-topic, feel free to get the last word in if any of you want, I'd sure love to be convinced there's hope for anything besides working until we drop dead with the carrot of a secure retirement ever dangling just ahead

A bad option is to have your money in the market, the worse option is to not.

You just contradicted a whole bunch of your posts.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

This thread is as clueless about investing as Trump is about everything though, jfc

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Texas, either. Funny that he's not going back down to shore up support for Cruz. Could mean anything at this point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

paternity suitor posted:

This thread is as clueless about investing as Trump is about everything though, jfc

yeah almost as if having everybody base their retirement possibilities on investment was a bad move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Not agreeing with vital signs but I’m finding it harder and harder to believe that 401ks and the like aren’t different than bitcoins given the apparent disconnect between the stock market and what I see every day.

• Locked thread