Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I happened to see At the Gates and Wolves in the Throne Room last night.
At the Gates ruled.

I have one question this thread might be able to help...
one of the guys playing guitar with WITTR looked familiar, He seems to just be touring with them and not full time in the band, is there a reason I would recognize him?
This guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

UFOTacoMan posted:

I happened to see At the Gates and Wolves in the Throne Room last night.
At the Gates ruled.

I have one question this thread might be able to help...
one of the guys playing guitar with WITTR looked familiar, He seems to just be touring with them and not full time in the band, is there a reason I would recognize him?
This guy

According to Metal-Archives their live guitarist is in a band called Sadhaka if that means anything to you. They also added this guy as a full-time member in 2017.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Henchman of Santa posted:

According to Metal-Archives their live guitarist is in a band called Sadhaka if that means anything to you. They also added this guy as a full-time member in 2017.

thanks!

his name is Peregrine Sommerville and I have no reason to recognize him.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a guy named Peregrine is exactly what id expect a WITTR guitarist to be named

(i love WITTR)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
At the Gates were playing on their new Solar guitars and they're just. so. pretty.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Ferret King posted:

At the Gates were playing on their new Solar guitars and they're just. so. pretty.
The Solar double-cutaway models like the ATG (with a really nice-looking matte black) remind me a lot of the Caparison Dellingers, with some of their colorful maple top finishes really reminiscent of higher-end Godins. They look really pretty, but the asking price is pretty expensive for Indonesian-made instruments. I probably wouldn't buy one on a leap of faith without finding a local dealer.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
hey so this is some pretty cool death metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-okvzgsDuXM

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am very much enjoying whatever this is. prog death i guess

https://willsdissolve.bandcamp.com/album/the-heavens-are-not-on-fire

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
High on Fire dropped out of the tour with Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust because Pike needed to have some toes amputated :stonk:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yikes. Wonder if he is diabetic

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
A project manager I used to work with at Time Inc. is really confused that I know his friend Russ, who he knows from coaching kids' football, completely unaware that Russell Allen is a household name in the heavy metal community

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

skasion posted:

Yikes. Wonder if he is diabetic

I hope he isn't lack-toes intolerant :ohdear:

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
The new Moss Upon the Skull is probably the best death metal album this year https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/in-vengeful-reverence

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I hope he isn't lack-toes intolerant :ohdear:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

High on Fire dropped out of the tour with Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust because Pike needed to have some toes amputated :stonk:

He's worried that he might be a lizard person sleeper agent so he's lopping off a toe to see if it regenerates.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Metal & Beer fest 2019 first bands announced https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/10/29/first-wave-of-bands-breweries-announced-for-decibel-metal-beer-fest-philly-2019/

Baroness
Deafheaven
Obituary (Cause of Death set)
Enslaved (Frost set)
Exhorder
Deceased
Rosetta
Tomb Mold
Wake
Heavy Temple
Outer Heaven

so far I'm hyped to see Deceased again most of all

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
wait has exhorder been touring this whole time or what?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

They did a reunion tour earlier this year yeah. I would've seen it but was out of town.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
New Nile album coming out!

Caution, Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/200296799986591/posts/2478865132129735/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh goddddd I am so ready for that. I’ve been waiting for news about it for too long.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ooh i wonder what kind of lovely production they'll have on this one

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
coincidentally Nile bass player was bar tending at the At the Gates show night before last.
It blew my mind years ago finding out that Nile was based out of Greenville South Carolina.

When Slayer played the Orange Peel in Asheville a couple years ago I ran into Karl Sanders from Nile lurking in the back on the way out. That was right before their last album came out. My man can rock the jorts.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Varg posted:

so far I'm hyped to see Deceased again most of all

New album Ghostly White drops tomorrow for Halloween!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ooh i wonder what kind of lovely production they'll have on this one

Latest album sounded alright to me and had some killer riffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzQeHo92Bpo

At the Gates of Sethu was really weird but I think that was intentional. It had really strange vocals on it too. Not a big fan except for a few songs.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
matt pike needs to take the training wheels off if he's going to hack off a part of a digit and go full iommi unless he plans on recording the next sleep album with his feet

UFOTacoMan posted:

coincidentally Nile bass player was bar tending at the At the Gates show night before last.
It blew my mind years ago finding out that Nile was based out of Greenville South Carolina.

wait, y'all ain't from cairo?!

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I caught them at Quebec deathfest earlier this month. It wasn't that bad!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh goddddd I am so ready for that. I’ve been waiting for news about it for too long.

I saw them with Brian at New England Metal and Hardcore Fest this year and dude has got some pipes.

Gonna be a good one. Can't wait to see who they end up touring with.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm really loving the new Bloodbath album. It's got such a great sound with a heavy bottom end. Great stuff.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Saw this article today: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dissecting-the-bloodthirsty-bliss-of-death-metal/

quote:

In one set of responses, the subjects rated (on a scale of 1 to 7) the emotional effects of the music, using pre-selected terms such as “fear” and “wonder.” In a second step, they described in their own words how death metal made them feel. “With its repetitive, fast-paced tempo, down-tuned instruments and blast beats, it is virtually impossible not to be excited!” one fan wrote. “It sounds like messed-up teenagers making throaty, irritating noises about how bad their lives are,” wrote a non-fan. “It’s annoying.”

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love this kind of thing, thanks for posting it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Imagine hearing CC or Obituary and thinking they're angry rather than having an awesome time

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Imagine hearing CC or Obituary and thinking they're angry rather than having an awesome time

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Imagine thinking that we're angry when we listen to metal. When I saw Suffocation, the emotion I saw on people's faces was pure joy. People were smiling and laughing. Imagine being such an unhappy turd that you can't understand that.

How can you watch a metal band perform and not realize they're having a goddamn blast. Especially bands like Krisiun or Nile who are always expressing their gratitude and love for the fans.

"We are Krisiun and we're gonna play some death metal for you. We're gonna play hard and loud and hopefully you enjoy it, okay?"

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I would like to see further research performed that incorporates the neural activity of regions of the brain when listening to death metal in people who are metal fans and people who dislike metal.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

This new Deceased song is just loving my poo poo up!

https://the-true-deceased.bandcamp.com/track/germ-of-distorted-lore

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also if anyone gives a poo poo I found the paper from that research team on "Listener Expertise Enhances Intelligibility of Vocalizations in Death Metal Music"

http://mp.ucpress.edu/content/35/5/527

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would like to see further research performed that incorporates the neural activity of regions of the brain when listening to death metal in people who are metal fans and people who dislike metal.

Probably the same as if you replace metal with Kenny G. I'm pretty sure my reaction to that is close if not identical to someone who hates metal listening to Cryptopsy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also if anyone gives a poo poo I found the paper from that research team on "Listener Expertise Enhances Intelligibility of Vocalizations in Death Metal Music"

http://mp.ucpress.edu/content/35/5/527

Expert Music Listener would be a pretty good username.

Fenrir posted:

Probably the same as if you replace metal with Kenny G. I'm pretty sure my reaction to that is close if not identical to someone who hates metal listening to Cryptopsy.

Extreme discomfort and full-body cringing? Sounds about right.

I can't picture someone who likes Kenny G getting as excited about a new album as I am about the new Nile, though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fenrir posted:

"In our research [7], we found that violent music can indeed result in highly enjoyable experiences, including feelings of empowerment, joy, peace, and wonder, but only for fans of this music. Fans and non-fans of violent music have subtly different personality characteristics, but strikingly contrasting experiences to this music, implicating an important role of learning in the enjoyment of violent music. Fans may acquire expert knowledge of the acoustic and lyrical attributes of violent music [4], and attend preferentially to attributes that promote psychosocial goals. Such a stimulus-oriented process may be combined with an inward-looking process whereby fans selectively attend to the positive dimensions of their affective states, a process that may be termed Positive Internal-State-Attending. Fans and
non-fans may not only attend to different aspects of the music itself; they may also experience the same affective states in different ways."

Thompson, W.F. & Olsen, K.N. On the enjoyment of violence and aggression in music. Comment on “An integrative review of the enjoyment of sadness associated with music” by Tuomas Eerola et al. Physics Life Reviews 25 (2018) 128-130

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Reading the abstract of that paper:

quote:

four groups of participants (n = 16 per group) were presented with 24 sung words (one per trial), extracted from the popular American Death Metal band Cannibal Corpse.

They picked one of the most intelligible vocalists in all of death metal and one that basically every death metal fan is going to be familiar with. Corpsegrinder enunciates really clearly and he has a huge mouth.

I'd be interested to see what the results would be if you somehow eliminated the familiarity factor, maybe by having a vocalist who isn't in a well-known band and recording individual words for the purpose of the study.