Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

MollyMetroid posted:

what do you think the scare quotes signify

Maybe I should have used a word like 'gritty' or something. 'Realistic' like Game of Thrones, not realistic like Vermeer. Actually, strike that, 'realistic' like Dark Souls, not realistic like anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dark Souls has fantastic art direction, though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dark Souls has fantastic art direction, though.

Yeah but would you call its style realism? I wouldn't. But some people would, and they tend to reproduce gothic artistic exaggeration really badly, in the name of gritty realism. That mushroom monster is absolutely a Vileplume as one of those DS mushroom people, with additional 'vertical mouths are inherently intimidating, right?'

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think whoever designed those was very intentionally going for grotesque.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think whoever designed those was very intentionally going for grotesque.

They succeeded, though I don't know if it's in quite the way you mean.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mugaaz posted:

Play Sword & Sorcery prologue today. Wow, I really love this game. See they have another KS starting on the 5th of November, will probably go all-in on that.

Only of you've played through Gloomhaven first

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

djfooboo posted:

Only of you've played through Gloomhaven first

I did a demo of Gloomhaven, IDK, I didn't get he hype. The card combat was very well executed, it was strategic, but it is so puzzley that it didn't give me a dungeon crawl feel at all. I felt like I was playing a puzzle game and the enemy standees were less immersive than minis. This game felt more like BattleCon than it felt like HeroQuest. Also, the gear in Gloomhaven was a bit sterile for me. I understand it was all newbie gear though, maybe it gets better. Overall, didn't feel all that compelled to play it more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The newbie gear in Gloomhaven is quite plain compared to some of the higher end stuff, although the Minor Stamina Potion you can buy right at the start remains strong forever.

It's puzzle-y but that's the appeal for me (and a lot of people).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/americana-1

Americana has cleared $10k with 3 days left! :toot:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Awesome! Here's hoping Sandy Pug can get paid now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

$2K and change to the next goal, 3 days to go !

e.
And Strata, the Spire expansion, has unlocked the stretch goal for

Strata KS posted:

Can baking overthrow a city? The Ministry are hoping it will. Offering unprecedented access to the rich and powerful citizens of Spire, a popular high-class bakery has been acquired by revolutionary forces, and the player characters are placed at the forefront of a distribution network that sees them placing poisoned petit-fours in the perfumed palaces of politicians.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Awesome! Here's hoping Sandy Pug can get paid now.

We did it, we hit our secret Nems Gets Paid goal ya'll!

I'm not massively hopeful we'll hit the MIA goal, we hit that 48hrs window at noon tomorrow and we just got our last big pledge for the portraits, but stranger things have happened. I'm doing an AMA tomorrow on the livestream at 1 EST if anyone's interested in checking that out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

We did it, we hit our secret Nems Gets Paid goal ya'll!

I'm not massively hopeful we'll hit the MIA goal, we hit that 48hrs window at noon tomorrow and we just got our last big pledge for the portraits, but stranger things have happened. I'm doing an AMA tomorrow on the livestream at 1 EST if anyone's interested in checking that out.

I'm pretty selfish so now that the tokusatsu stretch goal's been hit (at its original pay-the-creators value) I'm perfectly content with things, but here's hoping the last 48 carries you across the final finish line.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Anyone played Street Masters? It is getting a 2nd KS, wondering how it plays.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/street-masters-aftershock/?ref=kicktraq

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mllaneza posted:

$2K and change to the next goal, 3 days to go !

e.
And Strata, the Spire expansion, has unlocked the stretch goal for

Yaaaasssss. That is my jaaaam. I will never get to play it but I will always cherish owning a book about a subversive bakery.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mugaaz posted:

Anyone played Street Masters? It is getting a 2nd KS, wondering how it plays.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/street-masters-aftershock/?ref=kicktraq
I like it a lot and there's an incredible amount of variety/content.
It's a little fiddly with tokens, but not as much as Sentinels of the Multiverse (another game it's compared to). It follows the format of that game which is selecting player decks to fight a villain and stage deck but adds a physical board with a spatial positioning element.

As an aside, the art company they hired for the character design combines and traces other famous characters for several pieces of artwork if you're concerned about that. It doesn't really bother me due to the parody style of the game and the fact that Kickstarter's pretty much the wild west in terms of IP infringement. CMoN Kickstarters always raises a ton of money with celebrity knock-off character stretch goals, too.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 29, 2018

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I like it a lot and there's an incredible amount of variety/content.
It's a little fiddly with tokens, but not as much as Sentinels of the Multiverse (another game it's compared to). It follows the format of that game which is selecting player decks to fight a villain and stage deck but adds a physical board with a spatial positioning element.

As an aside, the art company they hired for the character design combines and traces other famous characters for several pieces of artwork if you're concerned about that. It doesn't really bother me due to the parody style of the game and the fact that Kickstarter's pretty much the wild west in terms of IP infringement. CMoN Kickstarters always raises a ton of money with celebrity knock-off character stretch goals, too.

The art looks like homage more than rip off to me, the game seems obviously trying to glorify 80-90s beat-em-ups. I'll admit the distinction can be pure opinion though. I'm leaning towards picking it up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

No, the art they had in the first KS were direct traces of SF/MK/other fighting game franchises with small details changed. You can find comparison shots pretty easily.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I gave them poo poo over it last time but now after seeing how loving stupid the actual Street Fighters Kickstarter went I've pledged all in for this.

At least their miniatures are used for the actual game (and can be painted without extra work).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I gave them poo poo over it last time but now after seeing how loving stupid the actual Street Fighters Kickstarter went I've pledged all in for this.

At least their miniatures are used for the actual game (and can be painted without extra work).
I thought the minis for the SF KS were also used for the game? I mean, the ruleset for the SF minis game is garbage in comparison to what is currently available already, but in the promotional videos they were using the minis.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I am planning on doing a base game pledge at the very least. Looks pretty good and it has gotten good buzz from the solo community for sure.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Tekopo posted:

I thought the minis for the SF KS were also used for the game? I mean, the ruleset for the SF minis game is garbage in comparison to what is currently available already, but in the promotional videos they were using the minis.

They seemed to infer the minis were more of a collector's item than an actual play piece during the interviews. It's been a while; I'd have to go re-read the KS and that requires :effort:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s, uh.. that’s a lot of stuff. :stare:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Affectionate: Cats and Cuddles - It's Treat Time! is an expansion to their base game Affectionate: Cats and Cuddles. This expansion adds new rules to make the game a little more complex. Goal remains the same: collect the most cuddle tokens to be the most affectionate cat!

I really love kitties so I backed this one as soon as I saw it. :3:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Aw. No shipping outside of the States. :(

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I opened the link, my eyes got big, and then started to glaze over as I scrolled down. I then closed the page.

what the gently caress is going on there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Carteret posted:

I opened the link, my eyes got big, and then started to glaze over as I scrolled down. I then closed the page.

The board game equivalent of Too Many Cooks.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Carteret posted:

Definitely one of the most extravagant mini-war-game kickstarters I've ever seen.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

These type of KS are like sweet nectar to me. This thread seems way more on the book side of game KS and less hot about any mini oriented KS. I rarely hear about mini related KS here, even when they are super popular. However, I will hear about every single RPG book KS that is currently funded to the tune of $2,700. This seems to cater to a different crowd. Which is completely fine.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The $424 + shipping for a board game with shoehorned minis crowd

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

alg posted:

The $424 + shipping for a board game with shoehorned minis crowd

There is a larger crowd for this stuff financially than most KS stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Am I allowed to find it amusing that the biggest heaviest boxes of stuff are called "miniature games"?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Things balance out a lot more when you sort by backer number rather than money made, since mini KSes tend to inflate their $$$ value due to larger pledge requirements. That being said, RPGs generally don't make as much, but there are definitely outliers.

The big winners for Kickstarters are gimmicky, dumb card games, and those are definitely tops as far as "high backer count, high profit, low hobbyist engagement" goes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, low quality card stock is cheap.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mugaaz posted:

These type of KS are like sweet nectar to me. This thread seems way more on the book side of game KS and less hot about any mini oriented KS. I rarely hear about mini related KS here, even when they are super popular. However, I will hear about every single RPG book KS that is currently funded to the tune of $2,700. This seems to cater to a different crowd. Which is completely fine.

If more KS had train minis, they would be nectar here. Age of Steam reprint KS coming soon, get hype :stoked:

Also, container with giant jumbo boat minis is amazing and the board game thread was hyped about it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The trains from the Empyreal Spells & Steam kickstarter looked really cool and it's too bad I can't paint worth a drat because I'd totally try to paint those train minis.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, low quality card stock is cheap.

Good thing the higher qualities make for an easy couple of stretch goals. :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's a huge market for people that don't care about rules, but do care about minis and that's it, and my favourite piece of evidence is this and this.

Can anyone guess why the earlier KS didn't fund and the latter one did?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
With miniatures, it's much easier to know what you are getting ahead of time. Assuming the kickstarter delivers what's in the pictures, then you get the figures you wanted. With a card game or rpg, it's much harder to tell if it is going to be something you like unless you can playtest it or get in-depth reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tekopo posted:

There's a huge market for people that don't care about rules, but do care about minis and that's it, and my favourite piece of evidence is this and this.

Can anyone guess why the earlier KS didn't fund and the latter one did?

I think you linked to the same project twice.

Didn't know Soda Pop did their own I Can't Believe It's Not Street Fighter! game.