Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DC Murderverse posted:

my house has been without a cat for almost 6 months, which is far too long to go without furry friends so i went out and adopted some very cool cats:

the larger one is Amsterdam and the smaller one is Captain Ahab (the lady at the shelter told me he got his name because when he came in his leg was badly injured and they thought they were going to have to amputate. luckily, he healed very well and still has all his legs.

Ahab took to house life very quickly and is just the friendliest little thing, very cute and charming befitting a young cat. Amsterdam on the other hand went straight from the carrier i brought him home in to hiding behind the water heater. I was kinda worried that he was too stressed out, but as you can see here, the stress evaporated pretty quickly:

I love Amsterdam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Me, after eating a tube of Ritz crackers and then looking at the box:

HOW THE gently caress WAS THAT 540 CALORIES?!

Those things must be like 90% butter

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Nroo posted:

Late response, but I was planning to make the thread again this year and post it on the 1st, but if someone else wanted to make a Noirvember thread then go for it.

Awesome, I look forward to it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zypher posted:

I’m looking for examples of slow motion pass-bys in films (ie: two people walking past each other and staring each other down). I’ve spent an embarrassing amount of time googling and come up with very little to show for it. For the record, the TV Tropes page is mostly unhelpful — almost none of their live action examples are actually two people walking past each other.

However, it did lead to by far the best clip I’ve found so far: the end of Shaolin Soccer, right after the banana peel slip at around 0:35

Any ideas for films to look at for better examples?

The woman in the red dress scene from The Matrix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Me, after eating a tube of Ritz crackers and then looking at the box:

HOW THE gently caress WAS THAT 540 CALORIES?!

Those things must be like 90% butter

Maybe you read the serving size wrong.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I have a weird question about storytelling structure: is there any precedence for a feature film made up of several 10-20 minute chunks about the same characters? I had a really cool idea for a story and I’m more familiar with the structure of movies, and I have a definite start and end point in mind, but for some reason I can only picture the story as a serial.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I have a weird question about storytelling structure: is there any precedence for a feature film made up of several 10-20 minute chunks about the same characters? I had a really cool idea for a story and I’m more familiar with the structure of movies, and I have a definite start and end point in mind, but for some reason I can only picture the story as a serial.

Sounds like a tv show, maybe one of those british ones where a season is only a handful of episodes. Unless you tell it non-chronologically, then you have something like Pulp Fiction or Go.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My girlfriend wants to get a cat and I'm like no cats please

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Skwirl posted:

Sounds like a tv show, maybe one of those british ones where a season is only a handful of episodes. Unless you tell it non-chronologically, then you have something like Pulp Fiction or Go.

End of the loving World was a tv show that was only as long as a movie. Weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My girlfriend wants to get a cat and I'm like no cats please

Monster

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

We don't need two autistic assholes in this apartment

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

We don't need two autistic assholes in this apartment

Cats aren't autistic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

my house has been without a cat for almost 6 months, which is far too long to go without furry friends so i went out and adopted some very cool cats:

the larger one is Amsterdam and the smaller one is Captain Ahab (the lady at the shelter told me he got his name because when he came in his leg was badly injured and they thought they were going to have to amputate. luckily, he healed very well and still has all his legs.

Ahab took to house life very quickly and is just the friendliest little thing, very cute and charming befitting a young cat. Amsterdam on the other hand went straight from the carrier i brought him home in to hiding behind the water heater. I was kinda worried that he was too stressed out, but as you can see here, the stress evaporated pretty quickly:

For whatever reason I've found orange marmies to be the most human-social cats. (They're also all male, apparently.) I have no idea why that would be the case but it's been my experience.

That said, all cattes are good cattes and those cattes are quite good indeed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

For whatever reason I've found orange marmies to be the most human-social cats. (They're also all male, apparently.) I have no idea why that would be the case but it's been my experience.

That said, all cattes are good cattes and those cattes are quite good indeed.

Male cats tend to be more social than female ones, so it might just be a skewed sample size. Torties are all female by the way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe you read the serving size wrong.

Nope. 5 Ritz crackers have 80 calories.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Male cats tend to be more social than female ones

I've owned maybe 5-6 males and 5-6 females and they've all been social.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

YTotD is Werewolves on Wheels, unfortunately in a cropped and censored version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0hC2rK1oTk

"You dudes just don't want to see the reality. That was no accident. It was heavy. Somebody's controlling the vibes."

My favorite film that I saw during a 24 hour horror marathon this past weekend (aside from some classics I had already seen). It's a great instance of characters not realizing they're trapped in the wrong genre, with a biker gang bumbling their way through a satanic cult film when their leader's old lady is abducted for an evil ritual. There's fun eccentric characters with names like Tarot and Movie, lots of interactions that feel more authentic than a typical B-movie, and a nice soundtrack. It's short on werewolves, so go in expecting it to not live up to its title (although at the end a werewolf does indeed drive a motorcycle) and you might be pleasantly surprised like I was. Maybe watching it at 1am helps.

It's available uncut and in much better quality on Shudder so I'd recommend watching it there if you can.

"C'mon Tarot, we're gonna kill us some monks, man."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've owned maybe 5-6 males and 5-6 females and they've all been social.

It varies from cat to cat, my orange tom is super friendly, his sister was a tortie and a complete bitch who only like him and me. When I lived with people who had two cats of their own, both sisters, they were super friendly. Often it'd be them and my tom curled up on one side of the bed and my tortie on the other by herself.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I saw Werewolves on Wheels on my birthday one year at Sydney’s awesome Cult Cinema but I can’t remember it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ogecebel/status/1056547242151038977

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Favorite response to this story
https://twitter.com/OmarjSakr/status/1057090651857154050

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Truly cats are a spectrum

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

precision posted:

Tiny Furniture is one of the worst movies I've ever seen

don't mind me, just getting a criterion release for my lovely student film. what's that? no, my rich and influential parents had nothing to do with this, why do you ask

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Truly cats are a spectrum

They are. I had to put Spike (affectionately known as the Marketing Cat) to sleep last year, and he basically fell in love with me the minute he saw me when I was first dating my ex. Cherry, a tortie, lives with her and she hates anything and everything that lives and breathes, aside from my ex, but she's old and cranky, probably 18 or 19 years old, so she gets a pass.

When I get a job and my finances in order--please, God, give me something soon--I'll probably go to the humane society and see about adopting a new one. If I cark it I have a neighbor friend who will gladly take it in.

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 30, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I had a weird obamacare death panels experience just now. The government mandated a while ago that every Australian starting november 15th gets their full medical records put in a government accesible database, but you can opt yourself and/or a dependant out. As hosed as that scope already is, it's since come out that hundreds of government contractors can access this database, and despite explicit promises that cops couldn't access it, the police unions have urged their cops to opt out, because they can

It's not super easy to opt out, with the three government recognised forms of ID that I have, I got this

I rememberes to opt out because there was a saintly volounteer at the substance abuse clinic I go to who asked me if I'd like to attend an information meeting they were holding, for obvious reasons, otherwise I would have completely forgotton

There is a deep and sad nihilsm to Australian people and our media, usually portrayed as like a carefreeness, which is obscenely manipulable

E: also, that 1800 number was a dead hyperlink, rather than a clickable phone call

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 30, 2018

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

As an American expat in Australia, i’ll take Australia’s godless nihilism if it means I get free healthcare, cheap meds, gun control, welfare, a high minimum wage, labor laws, and compulsory voting.

If you want a portrayal of the worst of Aussie culture, just watch the original Wake in Fright.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah, I think this is fine.

Some films that come to mind that kinda use this format are some Korine flicks like GUMMO and Mister Lonely, The Square, some Linklaters like Slacker, or something like Synecdoche, NY and Anamolisa.

It's not that weird of a structure. Maybe consider chapter headings or something if it seems too unclear.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

As an American expat in Australia, i’ll take Australia’s godless nihilism if it means I get free healthcare, cheap meds, gun control, welfare, a high minimum wage, labor laws, and compulsory voting.

If you want a portrayal of the worst of Aussie culture, just watch the original Wake in Fright.

It's not a competition, I wouldn't want a Yank's medical records to be a couple keystrokes away from an employer or a cop either, and have to Kafka around to stop them from it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There is an Ozon film called 5x2 that uses that episodic structure.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I mean ... Pulp Fiction

The Signal (2007 one), too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy6Akrt4ePQ

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I think this is fine.

Some films that come to mind that kinda use this format are some Korine flicks like GUMMO and Mister Lonely, The Square, some Linklaters like Slacker, or something like Synecdoche, NY and Anamolisa.

It's not that weird of a structure. Maybe consider chapter headings or something if it seems too unclear.

I’ve been meaning to check out Gummo and Slacker specifically. And I guess the chapter headings thing is pretty common, with Tarantino leaning on it a lot in his later stuff and Clerks (though that seems really noncommittal).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
YTOTD: Johnny Johnny (Milly Rock Remix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wte-0aRjias

precision posted:

Nope. 5 Ritz crackers have 80 calories.

I'm honestly surprised. Like you, I probably thought they were loaded with shortening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’ve been meaning to check out Gummo and Slacker specifically. And I guess the chapter headings thing is pretty common, with Tarantino leaning on it a lot in his later stuff and Clerks (though that seems really noncommittal).

Fair warning: Korine's stuff is often intensely disturbing and it's not for everyone. Gummo, in particular, is a trip and a half.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

I mean ... Pulp Fiction

The Signal (2007 one), too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy6Akrt4ePQ

No, not Pulp Fiction. PF is a series of interweaving strands that form a single narrative, edited in such a way as to be non-linear. It’s not the same as an episodic structure.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Fair warning: Korine's stuff is often intensely disturbing and it's not for everyone. Gummo, in particular, is a trip and a half.

Coffee and Pie is at least familiar with Spring Breakers. But yeah, GUMMO is probably his most disturbing (maybe Trash Humpers, also episodic, is more disturbing in an absurdist way). Just be warned that a "plot" point is that the kids kill feral cats for money, and they do some disturbing things (to fake dead cats).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This thread has some works of brilliance
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872778&perpage=40

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I was feeling like poo poo until I looked at this thread and now I'm cheered the gently caress up!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Budgie Jumping posted:

I was feeling like poo poo until I looked at this thread and now I'm cheered the gently caress up!

My work here is done.

(Good!)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pro click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Coffee And Pie posted:

A lot of Michael Haneke's works are made up of vignettes featuring the same characters at different times and locations, could check out Code Unknown or The Seventh Continent. Holy Motors is a surreal take on that, putting its main character into various situations and shorts within the film.

edit: Four Rooms

• Locked thread