Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I wasn’t alive in the 80s, but I’m sure someone was looking at the boxy Buick Century and wondering where it all went wrong from 60s design ethos.

Arguing about the “soul” of automotive design misses the point that unless you’re driving some high performance vehicle, the business case is always to follow the trend and keep up with regulations. I actually respect Toyota for doing something polarizing with their new Prius design for this reason, it’s actually fairly daring on such a high production car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Nah, it's ugly as gently caress and I give every single one I see a look of disgust in hopes that the owner might peel their eyes off their phone and see me.

x6 sales are like 15 or 20% of x5 sales, lmao it sucks so bad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grakkus posted:

I'm not saying it would be rolled back to the 60s "what are seatbelts" levels, but not every car would have to be a giant, slit-windowed, expensive blob-tank. Which is not to say that they couldn't continue to exist for those who prioritise safety, of course.

Not every current vehicle is like that, even rather workaday cars like a VW Golf. The hugeness and tanklike nature of present cars have to do more with consumer preference than safety regulations, as far as I can tell.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Fitting song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FM6b1cLC84

I'm partial to the gen after that:

Such a pure, honest 90s design. Also, glass headlamp covers that never, ever go cloudy like the plastic poo poo on 99% of today's cars.

I feel like the Legend is the ultimate form of this style

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't actually care about the article, but this opening paragraph made me chuckle.

quote:

As ideas go, this one might not make automotive history, but it's the kind of thing we think about between rounds of office Plinko. Nissan could have executed the most accurate and brilliant car-branding plot in history when it named its sedans. Consider this: After the introduction of its big car, the Maxima, in 1981, a natural next step would have been to call its new small sedan for 1982 the Minima. Without consulting us, Nissan named it the Sentra. Ten years later, when the company trotted out its revised mid-size sedan, it could have completed the trifecta by calling it the Media. Minima, Media, and Maxima are names so easy to remember that even Motor Trend could do it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

opengl128 posted:

I feel like the Legend is the ultimate form of this style

here it is from another angle

The joke is car design committees are incredibly cowardly idiots and will only ever copy other design committees.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 30, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Almost bought a cheap nice 1988 Legend with the V6, but had to pass since my head hit the liner. :(

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009

fknlo posted:

Nah, it's ugly as gently caress and I give every single one I see a look of disgust in hopes that the owner might peel their eyes off their phone and see me.

Years ago I had a chance to meet Chris Bangle. He was giving a seminar on design and marketting. Afterwards I asked him what he personally thought about the X6. He looked slightly embarrassed then he looked up, smiled and said 'it's a monster.'

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

here it is from another angle

The joke is car design committees are incredibly cowardly idiots and will only ever copy other design committees.

Wow it's like all the details are totally different on two entirely different cars. 1/10.

If you're gonna push that story do it right:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
My google-fu is weak and I’m trying to figure out specs of the Audi A3 Quattro sedan. I’m seeing anywhere from 180hp to 220hp, and 200-260ft/lb. Did they use different engines from 2015-2018 and are they different for awd vs. fwd? Is it all the same motor with just different states of tune? Is it the GTI motor?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there a list of car "classes" and which vehicles are in which class? I never know what actually is supposed to be competing against what.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Is there a list of car "classes" and which vehicles are in which class? I never know what actually is supposed to be competing against what.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.shtml

at the bottom left, search by class, it's a good rough sort. Just ignore subcompacts like the Continental GT and compacts like the rolls royce dawn.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Safety standards affect a lot of things on modern cars, from bumper heights, bumper attack angles, headlight placement, bonnet angles and sizes, wingmirror profiles, windscreen angles... The list is truly loving nuts. This is why most cars are similarly shaped and the only real variation you get is the amount of creases your body panels have and how much plastic you have covering fake vents.

High volume models will invariably be boring, design-by-numbers cars because they have to adhere more stringent standards because they're more numerous on the roads. Cars like the Disco Volante are such small runs that the rules are more lax, it's highly unlikely these will be around too much to annihilate a pedestrian's shins in a crash sending their skull through the windscreen. This is how Lamborghini get away with not actually having what normal people would describe as 'bumpers' and instead just all being body. Basically if you're rich you get more choice because designers are able to go more outrageous and have it actually stand a chance at being built (because gently caress poor people's safety).

Every company has designers that can put out pretty cars but a combination of safety standards, market restriction and the dreaded design committee forcing lovely trends means cars these days are mostly bollocks outside of high end stuff.

The laws mostly don't change based on sales volume. High-volume cars have boring design because they have to appeal to the largest group of people.

Lamborghini doesn't have bumpers because they don't care about reducing repair costs

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also the pedestrian safety standards are specifically to reduce head injuries by mandating space between the engine and hood. Someone getting hit in the shins and hitting their head on the windshield is actually the ideal scenario those laws want. Unfortunately with modern cars with giant front ends, this has become being hit in the pelvis and then run over which is actually worse

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Most cars are similarly shaped because that's what people like, or at least that's what executives think people like.

Designers want their cars to be giant rolling slabs with slit windows. Look at their sketches: that's what their fantasy cars look like. And most car buyers seem to agree with them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Most cars are similarly shaped because that's what people like, or at least that's what executives think people like.

Designers want their cars to be giant rolling slabs with slit windows. Look at their sketches: that's what their fantasy cars look like. And most car buyers seem to agree with them.

The engineers also want shapes that are easy to manufacture and assemble. Preferably so multiple models can be run on the same production line, maintaining similar welding and bolting patterns to minimize disruption.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

beancountera ruin everything

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

The engineers also want shapes that are easy to manufacture and assemble. Preferably so multiple models can be run on the same production line, maintaining similar welding and bolting patterns to minimize disruption.

Still doesn't excuse the fantasy concept cars and sketches that often have lots of very difficult to manufacture shapes while still also being giant slabs with tiny windows.

People think tiny windows and giant wheels look modern and cool. That's what I think. Hell, people used to intentionally modify their cars to have smaller windows and giant wheels.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
shareholders ruin everything

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Modus Man posted:

My google-fu is weak and I’m trying to figure out specs of the Audi A3 Quattro sedan. I’m seeing anywhere from 180hp to 220hp, and 200-260ft/lb. Did they use different engines from 2015-2018 and are they different for awd vs. fwd? Is it all the same motor with just different states of tune? Is it the GTI motor?

FWD gets the 180hp + 7 speed dual clutch auto. Quattro gets 220hp + 6 speed dual clutch auto. I'm not 100% confident, but it should be the same engine in the GTI except with a different tune.

edit: some more googling says the base is the same but parts are swapped out to make it 1.8L or 2.0L...?

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 31, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I've managed to find the 'design bible' that's being pushed for use on an industry-led car design course that my friends have recently graduated from. It basically distills down all the current basic requirements for designing a car for production these days and it's one hell of a read... (this edition is from 2009 so things will have changed) https://catedrad3.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/1933492376_hpoint1.pdf

Just a particular choice bit:

quote:

Looking around at vehicles that are on the road today you'll see a lot of uniformity, which is due mainly to legislation. As you work through this book you'll notice that various regulations are mentioned when they are significant to the design. Features like bumpers, lights and pillars are strictly controlled, so if you're designing a concept that looks dramatically different in these areas, check the appropriate chapter for legislation.

The book is full of standards and requirements for a production car (but nowhere near all of them!), from bonnet leading edge height, to bumper and bumper bar height requirements which affect passenger protection to headlight and rear light height/width/positioning requirements and angles at which they must be able to be seen. It's not incredibly limiting but it certainly makes things more boring and these are just the essential bits, the legislation is nuts in places and none of this has anything to do with pedestrian safety so load that lot on top and you can see why cars now are generally similarly shaped boxes with differing amounts of body creases.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 31, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lamborghini doesn't have bumpers because they don't care about reducing repair costs

While we're talking about repair costs, all these loving body creases can go eat a dick too. Oops, what would be a simple dent to PDR is now unfixable without significant work because it happened to involve one of our six hundred useless body creases!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grakkus posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm not implying that average European driving tests are up to the standard I would have them in my utopian alternate reality, in a lot of countries they are pretty lovely. But there is a correlation between thoroughness of driving tests and frequency of crashes. If the quality of the average driver was high enough, there wouldn't be a need for as overwhelming safety regulations as there are now.

Cars are still one of the leading causes of death and serious injuries for 20-40 year olds (also the planet) so imo it's reasonable to have both. Some people can easily pass a stringent test but won't be so responsible when they aren't being watched.

You might accept the risk of driving a more dangerous car, but the people around you might not, and they are also at risk if you ( or someone less responsible) gently caress up.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 31, 2018

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/TTAC/status/1058040757767073793

400,000 Subaru engines need their valve springs replaced.

That's bad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FBS posted:

That's bad.

lmao holy gently caress

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grakkus posted:

I'm not saying it would be rolled back to the 60s "what are seatbelts" levels, but not every car would have to be a giant, slit-windowed, expensive blob-tank. Which is not to say that they couldn't continue to exist for those who prioritise safety, of course.

you're more than welcome to drive a ragingly less safe car today

it just can't be brand new

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FBS posted:

That's bad.

Cost reduction engineering coming back to bite hard

That's a whole lot of labor to replace some overall very cheap parts

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
love to be a subaru tech right about now

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FBS posted:

That's bad.

It's not that bad

Spark plugs are a 7 hour engine out job, just change the valve springs while you're in there.

Also, at least they're copping to it and not just letting them rot into the ground at 100k like mazda

And another thing, watch Subaru/Toyota Canada pretend it's not a real issue and just let owners eat it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Insert comment about Consumer Reports, Toyota, Subaru, reliability, etc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just glad I have a 2015 and don't have to worry about it. I think my parents' Crosstrek is in the affected list though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol add that to the list of Subaru issues, the fanbois will keep buying them tho.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's still amazing to me that in the minds of non-car-guy common folk Subaru is mentioned in the same breath as Honda and Toyota (non-86 models) as bullet-proof cars. And the used market for them is bananas as well.

Subarus are the fiddly European cars of Japan, but without the pretense of luxury.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Subaru interiors feel cheap as hell too like their 40k vehicles feel just as bad inside as their 25k vehicles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To be fair, as far as I know this is the very first issue to hit the BRZ/GT86. They've been pretty much drama free and bulletproof otherwise.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bull3964 posted:

They've been pretty much drama free

Yeah the lack of power has been a real complaint :haw:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wasn't there an issue with the original ones? I can't remember what it was off the top of my head but the fuel pump or something making a lot of noise?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

bull3964 posted:

To be fair, as far as I know this is the very first issue to hit the BRZ/GT86. They've been pretty much drama free and bulletproof otherwise.

They went through several iterations of high pressure fuel pumps before finding one that didn't sound like a drat cricket orgy in one of every six cars

Basically no reliability issues. Autotrans also occasionally generated excessive vibration upon lockup below a certain engine speed. HVAC has a bit higher tendency to clog its drain, resulting in what can only honesty be referred to as 'the swampass effect' if you left it on recirc forever.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
What are all of these other Subaru reliability issues people are talking about? They are top 5 in the consumer reports reliability list. That's far above any domestic brand, including Ford, which people around here seem to love for some reason. I honestly don't get the Subaru hate and haven't really heard of any significant reliability issues outside of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Saddamnit posted:

What are all of these other Subaru reliability issues people are talking about? They are top 5 in the consumer reports reliability list. That's far above any domestic brand, including Ford, which people around here seem to love for some reason. I honestly don't get the Subaru hate and haven't really heard of any significant reliability issues outside of this thread.

They had/have a major head gasket issue with some of their engines. Possibly another big issue ( I want to say piston ring issues), but I’m not a Subaru guy and I’m not sure. Im sure someone from AI will post all the details