Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The macro system in Siralim 3 is dope as gently caress. I can just hold A and my unicorn barriers my tank, my fast imp forces him to provoke, my caster silences the entire enemy group, my centaur hits everyone that has silence, then my brownie mops up. Its freaking awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The macro system in Siralim 3 is dope as gently caress. I can just hold A and my unicorn barriers my tank, my fast imp forces him to provoke, my caster silences the entire enemy group, my centaur hits everyone that has silence, then my brownie mops up. Its freaking awesome.

Yeah they have done a lot to improve the game and it still considered early access so hopefully will be getting constant updates.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If I don't wanna drop 5bux on Sirilam 2 or 3 is the first one worth checking out?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

precision posted:

If I don't wanna drop 5bux on Sirilam 2 or 3 is the first one worth checking out?

I have heard 1 has most satisfying team building but doesn't have the QoL changes and actual end game. However I never played it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

It's been removeed from the store.

Well, the game isn’t optimized on console, so I’m not hopeful an android port would run better .

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, aside from maybe 10-20 minutes via an emulator, I've never played Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest. I was just listening to an episode of Retronauts where they delved deep into the first two games (actually, I'm at the part where they just started discussing DQ2, and apparently, it's not good?).

Anyway, someone in the podcast mentioned that the mobile ports were quite good. What's everyone's recommendation? Currently, I have enough google play money to probably only get the first one, but if that one is truly not worth it, I'll just save up for another one. I don't mind playing old school rpgs, btw, so it's age shouldn't be a mark against it, at least in terms of recommending it.

Help me get into Dragon Quest (via my phone), goons!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The original DQ you're probably not going to like, straight out. There's very little choice of what to do during most combats of which there will be a lot, and there's not a lot of signposting on what you need to do next. As a historical product it's fantastic, but unless you have an academic interest in old games, you can probably pass.

DQ2 gets a lot of hate, but it's a better experience than 1, there's a clearer path to take between locations and combats are marginally more interesting by virtue of having (eventually) three characters with different focuses. It's still extremely grindy though. As a point of historical interest it's less important than 1 to videogames as a whole, but I feel like it's still important to understanding the history of DQ specifically.

DQ3 is probably the best starting point for a modern player. There's a lot of customization in terms of your party composition and combat should be much more interesting due to this and the fact that you have four people (and this is available right near the beginning) to manage in any given combat. As far as story goes, only the main character sort of 'exists' as a character, but it mostly consists of going from town to town and solving whatever problems that town has on your way to take on the big bad guy.

DQ4 is where we start to see DQ take a turn for being a more generic JRPG in a modern sense. All the party members are characters (like we see in 2) and before the party gathers there are small chapters where you meet each of them and have little adventures that sort of explain who they are, where they come from and why they're involved in the plot. This is probably a good starting point if you'd rather play a game more focused on it's story and do not like having a customizable party with no plot relevance.

After that the DQ series I feel really failed to innovate and while it kept a lot of DQ-ness, it didn't really do anything to be unique in the JRPG genre that it helped to originally define.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Potsticker posted:

The original DQ you're probably not going to like, straight out. There's very little choice of what to do during most combats of which there will be a lot, and there's not a lot of signposting on what you need to do next. As a historical product it's fantastic, but unless you have an academic interest in old games, you can probably pass.

DQ2 gets a lot of hate, but it's a better experience than 1, there's a clearer path to take between locations and combats are marginally more interesting by virtue of having (eventually) three characters with different focuses. It's still extremely grindy though. As a point of historical interest it's less important than 1 to videogames as a whole, but I feel like it's still important to understanding the history of DQ specifically.

DQ3 is probably the best starting point for a modern player. There's a lot of customization in terms of your party composition and combat should be much more interesting due to this and the fact that you have four people (and this is available right near the beginning) to manage in any given combat. As far as story goes, only the main character sort of 'exists' as a character, but it mostly consists of going from town to town and solving whatever problems that town has on your way to take on the big bad guy.

DQ4 is where we start to see DQ take a turn for being a more generic JRPG in a modern sense. All the party members are characters (like we see in 2) and before the party gathers there are small chapters where you meet each of them and have little adventures that sort of explain who they are, where they come from and why they're involved in the plot. This is probably a good starting point if you'd rather play a game more focused on it's story and do not like having a customizable party with no plot relevance.

After that the DQ series I feel really failed to innovate and while it kept a lot of DQ-ness, it didn't really do anything to be unique in the JRPG genre that it helped to originally define.

Thank you very much for this! I think I'll be starting with DQ3 soon.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thank you very much for this! I think I'll be starting with DQ3 soon.

I think this is really a pity, because three loses a lot of its impact without playing the first two. They're miserable slogs from time to time, but as a trilogy, I think they hold up.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It's also a pity that you can't play DQ on mobile without giving money to the series music composer, who is an apologist for Japan's WW2 war crimes :eng99:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's also a pity that you can't play DQ on mobile

Eh, RetroArch works fine as long as you use a controller and not the lovely on-screen controls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DQ2 is actually great and the remake makes it even better, it just has a notoriously bullshit last area

But yeah DQ3 and especially 4 are light years better and own super hard. 5 is the best of the 1-6 run but 6 is no slouch either

Edit: DraStic works amazingly for playing DQ on mobile, even with the touch screen gamepad, it has tons of ways to customize the screen, including adding your own buttons to do things like "fast mode" or "switch screens"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

precision posted:

DQ2 is actually great and the remake makes it even better, it just has a notoriously bullshit last area

But yeah DQ3 and especially 4 are light years better and own super hard. 5 is the best of the 1-6 run but 6 is no slouch either

I really like DQ2 too, but whenever I say that I get a ton of responses about how bad it is. It's just one of those games. that gets labeled as "bad" even though the issues aren't nearly as bad as actual bad games and there are "good" games with similar or worse issues.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Siralim 3 is starting to irritate me. What's the point of team building and setting up combos when nearly every fight has an enemy in it that cuts your mana in half at the start? It just completely torpedoes any setup you made and forces you into spamming attack for 5 minutes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Siralim 3 is starting to irritate me. What's the point of team building and setting up combos when nearly every fight has an enemy in it that cuts your mana in half at the start? It just completely torpedoes any setup you made and forces you into spamming attack for 5 minutes.

That one particular enemy is super awful. Stick some Mana on your artifacts so you can cast your spells even at 50%, bring a Lich Priest or Imp Hexer so you have 0 mana cost spells (Murder of Crows/Shellburst), or keep a spell gem around that costs health instead of mana. The challenge of the game is supposed to be the unfolding table of enemies to which you must constantly adapt your team. The fact that you can't just one shot every encounter from turn one is intentional. It was a huge problem in Siralim 2 that you'd just get a fast team with AoE spells and kill everything before they got a turn. Don't forget you can add traits to artifacts with the enchanter to double dip on powers.

Also, get your rep to level 3 with Erebyss, she gives you the Heart of Darkness, which causes enemies under half your level to flee and die instantly when you touch them. Then go back to the gods whose realms fall in that range and farm them for rep to unlock things like spell gem crafting (Zonte) or just a pile of perk points. Also Zonte's realms always have 5 spell gem fragments so each clear guarantees a new gem.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Can someone explain macros a little for siralim 3 please?

I tried making one just to attack lowest health, and/or lowest max hp first, just basic attack, but it always says no target no matter how I phrase it.

The default attack command seems to just target creature positions in an order.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I tried making one just to attack lowest health, and/or lowest max hp first, just basic attack, but it always says no target no matter how I phrase it.

If any enemy has lowest health, attack that creature.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Having never played any Siralim, which one should I start with?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Aethernet posted:

Having never played any Siralim, which one should I start with?

I would say 3. Each game is basically just an improvement on the last one rather than a real sequel.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

If any enemy has lowest health, attack that creature.

Yeah that works 0-3 times and then says, the macro did not match any criteria.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Make sure you actually select a marco to a monster before a fight. It took me a while to realize that part.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah that works 0-3 times and then says, the macro did not match any criteria.

Add a second line that's like "if this creature has >10% HP, attack random creature", so if the first one doesn't trigger, he will just attack something.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
OSRS/ Old Schools RuneScape just hit the play store!!

On mobile so no links to post.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EzEight posted:

OSRS/ Old Schools RuneScape just hit the play store!!

On mobile so no links to post.

It's been out for a bit, maybe in early access? You have to pay a :10bux: sub for it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Add a second line that's like "if this creature has >10% HP, attack random creature", so if the first one doesn't trigger, he will just attack something.
I've done one;
Any enemy lowest max hp, attack
Any enemy lowest hp, attack
Any enemy >10% hp, attack
And it still fails to find targets.
I've given up until it's patched or I can use one of ya'lls

This seems like the simplest, duh macro to make too..
It fails when there are 2 enemies one hurt and one lower max hp as well, I don't get it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I feel so fuckin' old that "Old School Runescape" isn't old enough for me.

I don't want none of them 3D graphics goddamnit :corsair:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I've done one;

It fails when there are 2 enemies one hurt and one lower max hp as well, I don't get it

I never have any problems with macros, I dunno man.

My main attacker is a centaur chaser with Aimed Shot, so his macro has him attack the highest HP enemy after one of my casters applies silence to everyone.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

explosivo posted:

I feel so fuckin' old that "Old School Runescape" isn't old enough for me.

I don't want none of them 3D graphics goddamnit :corsair:

https://www.achaea.com/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Holy poo poo, I forgot about Achaea. I haven't played that since before Shallam fell.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

It's been out for a bit, maybe in early access? You have to pay a :10bux: sub for it.

This one is the official release, got in for free and uh mobile would be good for skill grinding but for general game play I'll stick with desktop.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

I've done one;

I wish there was a "if all of the above rules fail, do this"-option for macroes. Mine mostly run fine, but tend to break if a creature gets silenced or whatever the "you can't attack"-debuff was.

Also wish there was a way to make buffs just pop up all at once or just skip the buffing text lines; I run a team that buffs itself constantly and even with turbo mode on, all the buffing takes a while.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
help me i'm addicted to holedown

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Montalvo posted:

help me i'm addicted to holedown

Dig up?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Got any suggestions for Android games I can play for a couple of minutes an hour? I'm thinking of the crew minigames from Star Trek Online, where you assign crewmembers to various missions and check in on them later to see how they did. Anything with a similar "set it up, then come back later to see how you did" format would be of interest!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I still can't believe that in 2018 people are hype for RuneScape.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

im the right age range to remember Runescape fondly but i just never liked it

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Pocket City recently got updated to have a larger map option for those who found the original maps to be too constraining.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm hitting the point in picross where I just don't know what to do beyond wait ten minutes for a hint. Someone teach me your ways

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can do a tile in the 6-3 vertical column but other than that good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Len posted:

I'm hitting the point in picross where I just don't know what to do beyond wait ten minutes for a hint. Someone teach me your ways

Start with the 6/3 vertical, then move to the far right 7 vertical. The 6/3 gives you one pip, then puts that 7 into the bottom ten squares