Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It kinda basically has cartoon talking animal logic when it gets taken a bit too far and all the really weird discrepancies become impossible to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The books were a big part of my childhood, but there's definitely the D&D Fantasy Race problem concerning the "Vermin races" (Outcast of Redwall is my least favorite for this reason)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

The books were a big part of my childhood, but there's definitely the D&D Fantasy Race problem concerning the "Vermin races" (Outcast of Redwall is my least favorite for this reason)

Oh, yeah, I probably kept with them for longer than I should have (I don't think I stopped reading them until I was about 15) because I thought they were good but that's definitely a problem with it. Outcast is strange in retrospect because I feel like Jacques realised it was a problem to have all the "vermin" being uniformly and intrinsically evil and was trying to write a story which addressed it, but the conclusion was very muddled from what I can recall. It wanted to have its cake and eat it.

You know what this link is - first thing I ever read on Something Awful and still funny to me.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, I probably kept with them for longer than I should have (I don't think I stopped reading them until I was about 15) because I thought they were good but that's definitely a problem with it. Outcast is strange in retrospect because I feel like Jacques realised it was a problem to have all the "vermin" being uniformly and intrinsically evil and was trying to write a story which addressed it, but the conclusion was very muddled from what I can recall. It wanted to have its cake and eat it.

You know what this link is - first thing I ever read on Something Awful and still funny to me.

The Spellsinger series did something similar with mice and other vermin being some kind of lower caste doing horrible menial work, so much so that when Jon-Tom even suggested doing such labor he was all but labeled a race traitor.
This was quickly discarded.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I dropped out of the series when I was a kid, are the Redwall books still going to this day or did it end a while back?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The last Redwall novel was published posthumously in 2011.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My sequel fanfic however is still going strong at eight hundred chapters and counting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My sequel fanfic however is still going strong at eight hundred chapters and counting

All of them lavishly describing food, I presume.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

All of them lavishly describing food, I presume.

The last 97 chapters have been spent on the cross-species peace orgy that closes the prologue of the story as Redwall and the vermin unite against their common enemy: capitalism

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did they even have money in Redwall?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There was never a book starring the moles with a necessary accompanying English translation so Redwall was all for nought.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The last 97 chapters have been spent on the cross-species peace orgy that closes the prologue of the story as Redwall and the vermin unite against their common enemy: capitalism
Redwall was not sufficiently Marxist

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's literally like 2 seconds but this animation on Sonic :discourse:

https://twitter.com/tracker_td/status/1056692633458880513?s=21

Wanna see a whole Disney animated Sonic movie :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Inkspot posted:

There was never a book starring the moles with a necessary accompanying English translation so Redwall was all for nought.

And yet they were fairly easy to understand in the cartoon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Outcast straight-up confirms that vermin are inherently predisposed to evil by birth, and the only real ambiguity it leaves is whether his love or fondness for his adoptive mother briefly overcame that at the end of his life.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Outcast straight-up confirms that vermin are inherently predisposed to evil by birth, and the only real ambiguity it leaves is whether his love or fondness for his adoptive mother briefly overcame that at the end of his life.

not helping is the non-vermin children basically get a slap on the wrist for bullying Veil and the rest made it pretty clear he was unwanted at Redwall, which is part of why the ferret escalated into attempting to poison one of the elders - something you see a lot when the abused finally snaps - and Bryony's conclusion after Veil save her is 'welp guess he was evil'

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Outcast straight-up confirms that vermin are inherently predisposed to evil by birth

The science checks out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But mice are vermin?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

They are noble vermin, not like those disease carrying rats :colbert:

Is probably what people have said for millennia

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Aces High posted:

They are noble vermin, not like those disease carrying rats :colbert:

Is probably what people have said for millennia

Not quite millennia -- this is almost directly attributable to Mickey, if I remember correctly.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So has anyone talked about this yet?

https://twitter.com/grinchmovie/status/1055111679246184448?s=21

Never have I heard a more embarrassed rendition. This is like Tyler had to put on a Christmas recital for Grandma and haphazardly came up with this at the last minute with his head hanging down.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So you can make a Gorillaz song without Damon Albarn. You just shouldn't.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Til my dying breath will I insist that the platonic ideal of the Grinch was achieved in 1966 by Chuck Jones and Thurl Ravenscroft.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

Til my dying breath will I insist that the platonic ideal of the Grinch was achieved in 1966 by Chuck Jones and Thurl Ravenscroft.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Btw, Halloween is Grinch Night is shockingly good

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Beachcomber posted:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am so mad at myself for not starting Voltron until tonight.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So I ended up watching that awful Dragonlance and the Autumn Twilight movie - it's hard to believe they made CGI so bad in 2008 that it looks *worse* than Jimmy Neutron, but it was at least entertainingly bad, even if you can't make heads or tails of the plot because the dialogue is so atrocious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

asecondduck posted:

I am so mad at myself for not starting Voltron until tonight.

It’s very good! We have a thread!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bert of the Forest posted:

So has anyone talked about this yet?

https://twitter.com/grinchmovie/status/1055111679246184448?s=21

Never have I heard a more embarrassed rendition. This is like Tyler had to put on a Christmas recital for Grandma and haphazardly came up with this at the last minute with his head hanging down.

Was that Smash Bros leak all viral marketing?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Btw, Halloween is Grinch Night is shockingly good

Thank you for the recommendation. I very much enjoyed this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKLWC93nvAU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh that was really good.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

So the Netflix animated comedy "Big Mouth" came up in conversation and I had to look up images from the show to prove a point about how godawful repulsive it looks and uh

quote:

On Rotten Tomatoes, the series has an approval rating of 100% based on 21 reviews, with the critical consensus reading, "Big Mouth's simplistic animation and scatological humor belie its finely sketched characters and smart, empathetic approach to the messiness of adolescence."

quote:

Rotten Tomatoes gave Season 2 a rating of 100% based on 21 reviews, with the critical consensus reading "Poignantly repulsive, Big Mouth continues to confront the awkwardness of adolescence with foul-mouthed glee and an added layer of maturity."

quote:

Erik Adams from The A.V. Club awarded the second season an 'A-'. Adams praised the cast, especially Thewlis, and the experimentation of this season, commenting that "it’s shown that it deserves to be included in any conversation about TV’s animated greats."

...So is it actually good?? Or are reviewers just weirdly into shows about children talking about how they'd like to gently caress.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I don't know if it got better since, but I watched a few episodes with my roommate when season 1 came out and it was god-awful.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It sucks.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel like a cartoon that intends to make puberty a central theme has basically no choice but to be gross. Puberty is a gross process. I haven't seen this cartoon tho

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given the sad state of affairs of the US sexual ed system (and with the current administration trying to ban the term 'sexual health' and 'comprehensive sex ed'), a show about the good and bad of puberty would be something teenagers need, but it sounds like Bad Mouth is not that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched all of season 1 and enjoyed it. I'm pretty much on board with anything John Mulaney and Nick Kroll do together.
The art style is definitely ugly, but it feels like they designed it to be as unappealing as possible so they could get away with all the nudity and other stuff without the risk of it becoming fetishized.