Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The first recorded joke in human history is a fart joke from ancient Sumer. I wonder what the first recorded Vulcan joke is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So I figure Data could fart and there could have been a whole episode about Data learning about a social convention.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pakled posted:

The first recorded joke in human history is a fart joke from ancient Sumer. I wonder what the first recorded Vulcan joke is.

Given their history it's probably farting in someone's nerve gas payload.

Himuro posted:

I thought they pretty much made it clear the Klingon Empire was changing and now in decline in DS9? They make a guy who uses alternative methods their emperor. Ezri flat out says to Worf that his old Klingon Empire is gone and you get that stupendous episode where he challenges Gowron to a duel. drat that episode is loving incredible and I love Klingons so much. Which reminds me: B’Ellana Torres is still the worst Klingon! I prefer even Alexander (DS9 incarnation).

Yeah they kinda did but in retrospect I wish something more concrete and devastating had happened. Like maybe the Klingons take such harsh losses from Gowron's reckless over-extension during the Breen offensive that they open themselves up for a Hiroshima-level attack on the homeworld, get completely wrecked culturally as well as militarily and leave a power vacuum for the ascension of the Romulans at the end of the war. Just a complete shuffling of the deck.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 30, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

*Newly resurrected Spock undergoes a rapid barrage of computerized intelligence tests on Vulcan*

what is Kiri-Kintha's first law of metaphysics?

"He who smelt it dealt it."

CORRECT

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pakled posted:

I wonder what the first recorded Vulcan joke is.

Beating someone to death with their own child.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vulcan attempts to diffuse situation: I'm sorry. That was so funny I forgot to laugh.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Sarek's a bit of a sarcastic prick in Discovery which I like, because it shows where Spock got it from. When he basically points out how he's a better parent than Georgiou because his kid brought down her empire I was in shambles.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
computer play fart, wet, sustained, one hundred fifteen decibels

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sarek’s a sarcastic prick from the get-go, Disco is just being faithful to his established character. Every other thing he says to the Tellarite ambassador in Journey to Babel is a savage own and his banter about why he married Amanda is hilariously dickish, especially since she’s right there!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Nothing, if you're forced to build a Starfleet ship using nothing but bone knives and bear skins.

code:
Prophet The Sisko cancels scrub clams, taken by mood. 
Prophet The Sisko has claimed a Craftsdwarf's workshop in Utopia Plantilla. 
Prophet The Sisko has begun a mysterious construction...

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 30, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Angry_Ed posted:

code:

this is peak nerd folks, it's all downhill from here

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Brawnfire posted:

A Vulcan with a sense of humor would be great. They're always the straight man in a buzz-kill way, but I think it can be done in a funny way

That’s Spock.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zesty posted:

That’s Spock.

*Squeezes the sides of your face until you look like a goldfish*

That's not good enough!!!

*Tiny kiss on the nose*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Spock is neither straight nor gay, he is obviously an ace.

The only logical decision.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Spock is neither straight nor gay, he is obviously an ace.

The only logical decision.

That's a different sort of "straight man"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I'd have linked the Enterprise Cold Opens compilation but it looks like youtube now is requiring payment to see it

Looks like youtube was just running an experiment to demand payment on random videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCQRMFl6Wg&t=44s

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Angry_Ed posted:

code:

This makes me way too happy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

A Vulcan with a sense of humor would be great. They're always the straight man in a buzz-kill way, but I think it can be done in a funny way

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I remember in TNG when they said United Earth grew out of the EU. :( I miss TNG.

I legit don't specifically remember this, where's it from?

Powered Descent posted:

I have reconfigured the main deflector into a flatulence emitter, and calibrated it into the upper "silent but deadly" band, captain. Ready to fire.

I don't know about you, but I heard this in (The Orville) Isaac's voice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, say what you will about The Final Frontier, but Luckinbill is so, so, so good in it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

God, say what you will about The Final Frontier, but Luckinbill is so, so, so good in it.

I've said that The Final Frontier is really fun to watch and a movie I like

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Final Frontier is similar to First Contact in that it has very obvious flaws but overall it's still a more solid Star Trek adventure and a better time than basically anything they made after 2001

I have a feeling that if they tried to tackle the same subject matter these days the resultant show would disappear up it's own rear end

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like the part where they're friends and they care about one another and work towards a common goal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I like the part where they're friends and they care about one another and work towards a common goal

Communist

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wish they’d brought up something like Sybok again after V. Of course you’d have small sects on Vulcan that wouldn’t totally adhere to Surak’s purging of emotions, it’s honestly surprising it took until V for someone to think of it. Enterprise tried to explore it in one episode with mixed results, but it feels like such fertile ground for examining Vulcan culture that I’d love to see it brought up again.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

The Final Frontier is similar to First Contact in that it has very obvious flaws but overall it's still a more solid Star Trek adventure and a better time than basically anything they made after 2001

I have a feeling that if they tried to tackle the same subject matter these days the resultant show would disappear up it's own rear end

To be fair, this is inevitable for any subject matter, given the current creative team.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish they’d brought up something like Sybok again after V. Of course you’d have small sects on Vulcan that wouldn’t totally adhere to Surak’s purging of emotions, it’s honestly surprising it took until V for someone to think of it. Enterprise tried to explore it in one episode with mixed results, but it feels like such fertile ground for examining Vulcan culture that I’d love to see it brought up again.

Discovery had that Vulcan "logic extremist" who literally suicide bombed Sarek's ship because he (the extremist) hated humans so much.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress you, Discovery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Discovery had that Vulcan "logic extremist" who literally suicide bombed Sarek's ship because he (the extremist) hated humans so much.

That’s a different issue though. They had a twisted view of logic that demanded Vulcan isolationism. I’m talking about peaceful Vulcans who don’t believe in the suppression of emotions trying to live in Vulcan culture.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

First Contact owns. It's a great movie. As far as I can tell its "flaws" amount to "I don't like the Borg Queen". Comparing it to the cluster gently caress where nothing makes sense Star Trek V is insane (and I don't even mind V)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MikeJF posted:

gently caress you, Discovery.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

First Contact owns. It's a great movie. As far as I can tell its "flaws" amount to "I don't like the Borg Queen". Comparing it to the cluster gently caress where nothing makes sense Star Trek V is insane (and I don't even mind V)

There are a billion plot holes but honestly I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo about or even noticing most of them until Red Letter Media did that video about it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I disagree entirely on your issues with Tuvok, I thought Tim Russ did incredibly well at depicting a Vulcan who was really pissed off most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ8ePckB1Us

Just workin' some stress out.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

To be fair to Tuvok, the "strangle Neelix" program is probably the most popular on the holodeck. I bet Naomi Wildman even booked that program weekly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There are a billion plot holes but honestly I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo about or even noticing most of them until Red Letter Media did that video about it.

When you say plot holes, are you talking about time travel inconsistencies or TNG inconsistencies? It's been a while since I saw the RLM video (I like them and agree on a lot of their stuff) but from what I remember it was mainly "in the TV show Picard and the Borg did this..." and it was super nitpicking

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tom Guycot posted:

To be fair to Tuvok, the "strangle Neelix" program is probably the most popular on the holodeck. I bet Naomi Wildman even booked that program weekly.

Everybody's using the program and then people start talking about it, sharing strangling tips, discussing where the program could give a better experience, chatting about what the program means to them.

Then a rumor starts.

Neelix has been using the program.

Someone looks into it. It's true.

The program is deleted and never spoken of again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I do like the premise of that one voyager episode where they find Tuvok's exciting holonovel about Voyager

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Everybody's using the program and then people start talking about it, sharing strangling tips, discussing where the program could give a better experience, chatting about what the program means to them.

Then a rumor starts.

Neelix has been using the program.

Someone looks into it. It's true.

The program is deleted and never spoken of again.

This is better than any actual episode of Voyager.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

When you say plot holes, are you talking about time travel inconsistencies or TNG inconsistencies? It's been a while since I saw the RLM video (I like them and agree on a lot of their stuff) but from what I remember it was mainly "in the TV show Picard and the Borg did this..." and it was super nitpicking

I guess there is stuff in the review that's sort of obvious to most people (like why the Borg wait until they get right up to Earth to do their time travel, why Picard isn't over his Borg trauma, the critiques about the Borg Queen, etc.). But RLM pointed out a bunch of other little stuff like why is there conveniently a bunch of flesh-eating plasma in a glass tube in engineering, the implausibility of Cochrane building a rocket without anyone knowing about it, how silly it is the Vulcans didn't see the Enterprise, etc.

It's actually pretty hilarious and pretty spot on, I really get a kick out of the observations. But I definitely take it as roasting the film for comedy's sake, not as a persuasive list of reasons that the movie actually sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a convenient pipe of deadly halon right over my head IRL and this is just a server room, Cochrane converted an existing Titan rocket (and the backstory had it as a real research project to start with before WW3 killed everyone and he finished it alone), and with the time gap and tech progression I could believe the Enterprise could fly up and scratch their name in the hull and still keep the Vulcans from seeing them.