Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

That feeling when you go to the fly shop and buy $100 worth of tying supplies to “save money” on flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

That feeling when you go to the fly shop and buy $100 worth of tying supplies to “save money” on flies.

You got off light if you only spent $100. That is a very deep rabbit hole. It's immensely satisfying to catch a fish on a lure that you made yourself, though!

If it's anything like pouring lead, you can spend as much as you want to, but once you have the basic necessities the costs are can be minimal. The bitch of it is that now that I have all of these different jigs, I'm looking to make soft lures for them so :homebrew:

LingcodKilla posted:

All those fancy lures and he wasn’t using bronzed hooks too. Better to bend straight than to lose them.

Are you talking about something like this? Obviously you're not going to be catching lingcod on a #6 hook, but the bronze material.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah. Mustad bronzed hooks are more wire like and while you have to replace them more often they bust before you lose a lure by typically bending straight. I’ve been living by treble bronzed hooks with one hook cut away in rocky bottom conditions for decades with minimal lure loss. I used one chrome 6 once jig so much I knocked off all the chrome off and it was a battered misshapen lump.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You got off light if you only spent $100

You misunderstand. That was this trip. I decided I needed more materials to tie some frenchies, rainbow warriors, and hippie stompers. Oh, and while I’m here I need some more Antron dubbing for stimulators (I’m working through Charlie Craven’s basic book), and I might as well buy some hackle to do some Adams since that’s next, oh and…

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

You misunderstand. That was this trip. I decided I needed more materials to tie some frenchies, rainbow warriors, and hippie stompers. Oh, and while I’m here I need some more Antron dubbing for stimulators (I’m working through Charlie Craven’s basic book), and I might as well buy some hackle to do some Adams since that’s next, oh and…

:bisonyes: That's what I was expecting. That's the good stuff right there. Have you started keeping an inventory spreadsheet yet?

I would be really into a fly tying / tacklecraft thread. It probably wouldn't move very fast, but it's a fun hobby that you can grow into the more you fish.

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah. Mustad bronzed hooks are more wire like and while you have to replace them more often they bust before you lose a lure by typically bending straight. I’ve been living by treble bronzed hooks with one hook cut away in rocky bottom conditions for decades with minimal lure loss. I used one chrome 6 once jig so much I knocked off all the chrome off and it was a battered misshapen lump.

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to be doing an awful lot more rock fishing next year, between my buddy's new boat and my resolution to stop being a coward about jetties. This is helpful.

Did my line of reasoning about lingcod reeling make sense, while I have your attention? I'm pretty sure that I've identified my issue but I don't want to convince myself of something false. I'm certainly no expert so I am loathe to take my own advice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If I got a hitchhiker I don’t pump at all, in fact I just kinda lift him off the bottom, don’t want him to thrash or open his mouth if he spooks. If it’s on a lure I set the hook and gentle pumps that I don’t ever stop reeling in on.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:bisonyes: That's what I was expecting. That's the good stuff right there. Have you started keeping an inventory spreadsheet yet?

I would be really into a fly tying / tacklecraft thread. It probably wouldn't move very fast, but it's a fun hobby that you can grow into the more you fish.

Sadly I'm in the "Oh man I have a container of completely disorganized poo poo and have no idea how to make it better" phase of fly tying. I'd love to get my dubbing and delicate stuff (hackle, biots, etc) under control, but I also don't have a ton of space since I literally tie off the side of my desk.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I had this drawer going next to the desk where I had just been throwing fly tying materials that I had bought/ordered since about March of this year...

My best friend got married last month, and all the groomsmen were into fly fishing, so we decided to hang out and tie classic salmon fly boutonnieres after fishing all day, and that was gonna be the bachelor party. As I was getting my stuff together to pack up and take over to where we were gonna hang out and tie, I thought I might need some of the stuff from the "misc drawer," so I pulled it all out to organize, and, uhh, there was more than I thought:

We went to North Carolina to fish the Fire's Creek delayed harvest today, and I can in fact post a fish:

It felt so good & was so pretty up there-- I loving love fall!

e: I recommend a toolbox or big tackle box if you need something portable/something to fit under your desk. If you're lucky enough to have a workshop or spare room that hasn't just turned in to your girlfriend's giant walk-in closet, set up a desk with plastic drawers/organizers and a nice tying station. I like to put my dubbing in cheap plastic lure boxes with removable dividers and drill holes in them to make dispensers. The same type of boxes are great for organizing hooks/beads/whatever. Most of my materials are actually in lure boxes like that.

I think I did post a warning a good while back about trying to "save money tying flies." You could do if that was your sole intention, but it's not likely. Kinda like picking up hunting to save money at the grocery store. But if you pick up hunting to save money on fly tying materials :waycool:

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 19, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Since we’re into fly tying chat, here’s something I’ve been working on lately.

I’ve been using my Peak rotary vise for a couple years now, and decided I wanted to upgrade the base. Bought a slab of cherry off eBay, and went at it. Borrowed dads drill press to drill out a 3/8” hole to mount the mast, then decided to make a fancy tool holder out of an old antler shed I found a couple years back. It’s still a work in progress, started routering out a waste catcher and some bins for hooks and whatnot this week. Got to finish them, then I’m going to put some spindles down the back to hold thread spools. Pretty happy with it so far.

Wanted to raise the vise some, so I got a brass riser in yesterday, but I haven’t updated my pics yet, waiting to finish the router work and tidy it up before I take more pics.

Also made this nifty bobbin threader from one of the antler tips and some titanium leader wire.

I bought one of these cool wooden chests on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago. Between it and a cheap wood toolbox my dad gifted me, all my stuff is pretty well contained and portable.

I’m big on yarn body flies, especially for nymphs and wet flies. If you haven’t tried it, Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift is freakin’ amazing material. Lots of color variation in the threads, very buggy and organic looking when it’s wet, and gets a very nice translucency in the water, especially in the lighter colors. Oyster, Sunglow, Autumn, and Purple Haze are my favorites. Supposedly the Sand color, when combined with some tan Coptic marker is the closest you can get to original legendary Chadwick’s 477 for making authentic Sawyer Killer Bugs.

Pro tip: keep some cedar blocks or strips in your feather/fur/hackle storage to keep mites away.

If we get a fly tying/tackle craft thread going, would anyone be interested in a material exchange or traveling fly box?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I've never tied a fly in my life and I'm jealous as all gently caress. I want to incorporate functional antlers into my workshop!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Yeah I have no interest in learning how to tie a fly but dammit, I would love to incorporate an antler into my life. Super nice looking man!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
That's a super classy set up, and the antler is dope.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That is a super cool fly tying setup.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I dig the scotch(?) box to keep your feathers and other long materials in. Definitely stealing that idea.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I've never tied a fly in my life and I'm jealous as all gently caress. I want to incorporate functional antlers into my workshop!

Thanks! Spent some time destroying the whole thing with a router yesterday. I’m really not good at routering, apparently. I think I can fix it all with some tedious carving knife and Dremel work, though.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

That's a super classy set up, and the antler is dope.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

That is a super cool fly tying setup.

:tipshat:

Dangerllama posted:

I dig the scotch(?) box to keep your feathers and other long materials in. Definitely stealing that idea.

Zacapa rum, in this case. It works really well, and I keep my flash in there by tucking the end of the zip tie down in the can with the flash on the outside. Handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Cheers on the zacapa 23. I'm having a finger of that right now myself. It's real tasty.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

If we get a fly tying/tackle craft thread going, would anyone be interested in a material exchange or traveling fly box?

Also, I meant to say that while I don't know exactly what either of those things are, yes.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Also, I meant to say that while I don't know exactly what either of those things are, yes.

Materials exchange is just people sending samples of different tying materials you’ve got. Feathers, fur, yarn, what have you. I think usually everybody sends stuff to the flymaster, who then divvys it all up and sends them back out. I’ve yet to participate in one, just missed out on the last two that any of the groups I follow had done.

The traveling fly boxes are fun. I’ve been participating in one through the Appalachian Tenkara Anglers Facebook group that’s been going around for 2-3 years now. Someone starts it off with a box full of flies they tied, and everyone signs up on a group list. Send the box to next person on the list, you take 5 flies and add 6 that you tied, then send it on. The ATA group is now up to like 4 or 5 boxes floating around at any one time. Neat way to pick up some new patterns and try out stuff you haven’t tied before. Address info is handled by the organizer, who messages you when the box is coming your way, and gives you the next address to send it on to when you’re done with it. When it hits the point that there’s a ton of flies, somebody breaks it into two boxes and sends them on. Some of the more proficient tyers (tiers? Tie-ers? Whatever you call people that tie flies) will attach theirs to a business card or a note with their name so you know what comes from where. We also usually post a pic of the flies we take and the ones we add, so you get some idea of where your flies are going.

If there’s some interest, I’ll start a thread and act as flymaster to start with.

Hooplah posted:

Cheers on the zacapa 23. I'm having a finger of that right now myself. It's real tasty.

It’s freakin’ tasty stuff. Looking forward to coming off call tomorrow so I can enjoy some myself

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 21, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Definite interest, and thanks for volunteering to do the thread. I'm down to contribute about luremaking and the finer points of lead fumes, representing the Rainier beer & storing poo poo in coffee cans contingency.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Shakedown run for the new Keiryu-X pickup. This is probably my new go-to for everything short of the Colorado or Frying Pan.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 21, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I need a trailer for my steel fishing boat, so kept a saved search for “free trailer boat” and this came up on Friday.

I’ve got about three hours in to freeing my trailer from a rotted 22’ boat.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Getting a little closer to done with the tying bench. I discovered that I’m not nearly as good at free-handing a router as I thought I would be. Switched to some old fashioned gouges to rough everything in. Waiting on some other sizes to come in this week to finish it down smoother.

Goddamn, that’s some awful routering. Got to fix this pronto.

There, that’s better. Much harder to carve a smooth bowl than you’d imagine. My wife was suitably unimpressed.

I’ll try and get a thread up this week or this weekend for a traveling fly box and material exchange, if there’s still interest.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'd be down to participate in a tying/traveling fly box thread. How many do we need for this thing to be successful?

Fair warning anything I tie that's not a midge is pretty poo poo.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 23, 2018

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
That fly tying bench is awesome, makes me want to try fly fishing next year.

Caught this 14 incher a few weeks ago -

I have had zero luck since the temperature has dropped here. All my fishing experience before now has just been in the summer, and I have no idea how to approach fall fishing. I'm also stuck shore fishing, so maybe that's making it particularly difficult to reach them right now.

Edit - went out today for a bit, despite it being a high of 41 and chilly rain I managed to get this little guy.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 28, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That is a good looking bass! I know what you mean about the changing weather, though. Do you have any trout streams near you? Targeting coldwater fish might help, especially if you're thinking of getting into fly fishing.

Buddy and I went out on Saturday morning. We tried everything: bait off the bottom and from the top, spoons, spinners, various crankbaits ... feh. Not even a nibble. Neat fog, though.

I need to get off the loving bank, too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I caught 6 of these fuckers on the weekend before giving up in disgust:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

When life gives you skates make fake scallops.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Yikes, how do you even unhook one of those guys?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ROFLburger posted:

I’ve always used bronzed hooks when I’ve caught them and just cut the line close if it can’t be pushed off. It will dissolve in their flesh after a few weeks and they will take less damage than ripping it out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

When life gives you skates make fake scallops.

These aren’t skates, they’re banjo sharks aka fiddler rays and the only remotely edible part is the tail. But even that tastes like poo poo. The wings are just gristle.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ROFLburger posted:

Circle hooks. They don’t have barbs like stingrays so you just flip them over and twist the hook out as it’s usually just in the lip. One got itself gut hooked so I just cut the line.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m always fascinated by your Southern Hemisphere fishery.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m always fascinated by your Southern Hemisphere fishery.

It wasn’t very fascinating on Sunday

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

gay picnic defence posted:

These aren’t skates, they’re banjo sharks aka fiddler rays and the only remotely edible part is the tail. But even that tastes like poo poo. The wings are just gristle.

Have you actually tried it?

Im asking because people tend to go by word of mouth in regards to this type of stuff. I have read a couple of peoples accounts of actually prepping it despite and the common conception and they said it turned out fine.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 31, 2018

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I caught 6 of these fuckers on the weekend before giving up in disgust:

I love the random poo poo the ocean spits.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Have you actually tried it?

Im asking because people tend to go by word of mouth in regards to this type of stuff. I have read a couple of peoples accounts of actually prepping it despite and the common conception and they said it turned out fine.

Yeah, tried one, never again. Good shark bait though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I tried a local dogfish once. Heard their use to be a fishery around here. Would send them all the way to England for fish and chips.

It's garbage. Used it for crab bait.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I tried a local dogfish once. Heard their use to be a fishery around here. Would send them all the way to England for fish and chips.

It's garbage. Used it for crab bait.

Sharks need to be looked after once caught or they taste like poo poo because of the ammonia in their blood. Some (i.e. banjos, swell sharks) will taste crap despite your best efforts, but dogfish are very similar to our gummy sharks and if they are bled, gutted and put on ice within a minute or two of landing they should taste really good.

I find they taste even better once they've been frozen, as they thaw a lot of liquid comes out of the meat and this carries a lot of the ammonia with it. Other people I know will leave them in the fridge overnight to give the liquid a chance to drain out before cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I slaughtered, bled and iced it before cooking that evening. The meat looked good and was nice and firm but the metallic taste was too strong. I may try again with the freezing trick. That’s not something I’ve heard of but it worth a shot.