Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Wheat Loaf posted:

Okay, which Coen brothers movie other than Fargo would also be a good basis for a television series which could use the same setting and explore the same themes?

Hail Caesar! could make a good TV series with each episode being Mannix dealing with a problem at a different production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
True Grit for sure. Just do The Advenures of Rooster Cogburn in the style of Gunsmoke/Rawhide/The Rifleman/etc.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A buddy roadtrip TV show with Anton Chigurh. His partner changes every episode for...reasons.

Scene opens with Anton at a diner. Waitress asks, "coffee or sugar, hon?"

Anton: Call it.

<cue laugh track>

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just got the most delightful vision of Chigurh as the host of a nihilistic morality tale anthology show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

I just got the most delightful vision of Chigurh as the host of a nihilistic morality tale anthology show.

That's essentially what Fargo Season 1 is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All anthologies shows should have Cryptkeeper-like figures, Fargo included.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

A buddy roadtrip TV show with Anton Chigurh. His partner changes every episode for...reasons.

No, his partner would be that motorbike bounty hunter from Raising Arizona.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Skwirl posted:

The Dawn of the Dead remake came out 2 weeks earlier, so depending how late in the run you saw Ladykillers it was probably still in theaters. Of course if your conservative Christian parents were watching it with you, they probably would have taken you out of the theater within the first 20 minutes.

The only other R rated films from that time period I recognise the names of are semi-indy flicks so you probably wouldn't have heard of them at 14 (Dogville and Ned Kelly). Oh Kill Bill 2 came out April 16th, but I wouldn't recommend watching that without seeing the first one.

Tom Hanks must have been the deciding factor for teenage me, I can't imagine what would have drawn me to the movie otherwise. Probably helped convince the parents that a movie couldn't be too bad if it had America's Dad Tom Hanks in it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Klungar posted:

Tom Hanks must have been the deciding factor for teenage me, I can't imagine what would have drawn me to the movie otherwise. Probably helped convince the parents that a movie couldn't be too bad if it had America's Dad Tom Hanks in it.

I mean, I'm pretty sure this moment was in trailers. It very nearly sold me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-edBUcE57kk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just realized for myself that i see fassbender as the daniel day lewis of our time

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
In Bohemian Rhapsody, what song is Freddie recording in a studio after he goes solo?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Okay, which Coen brothers movie other than Fargo would also be a good basis for a television series which could use the same setting and explore the same themes?
This is a cliche answer and I promise I'm not one of those people, but The Big Lebowski would be great for this. Just having The Dude bumble his way through a different Chandleresque mystery each week.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is a cliche answer and I promise I'm not one of those people, but The Big Lebowski would be great for this. Just having The Dude bumble his way through a different Chandleresque mystery each week.

Instead of following The Dude, I picture each episode or season following the mishaps of a different team in the bowling league.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Dude might get old fast. He’s already a walking catch phrase.

Fargo the series is already the best way to make a Coen brothers TV series. Loosely tied to a movie, but in a land that’s both surreal and familiar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Dude might get old fast. He’s already a walking catch phrase.

Fargo the series is already the best way to make a Coen brothers TV series. Loosely tied to a movie, but in a land that’s both surreal and familiar.

I think with the right actor you could get away with it. Like Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother, dude's a walking cliche that also committed probably hundreds of sex crimes over the course of the show and people loved him for ten seasons.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Burn After Reading

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Raising Arizona sitcom. Come on people.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What’s with Paul Giamattis character hating Merlot in Sideways?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sponges posted:

What’s with Paul Giamattis character hating Merlot in Sideways?

He obviously had a bad experience with it (that he remembered clearly, which would be rare for that character)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

syscall girl posted:

He obviously had a bad experience with it (that he remembered clearly, which would be rare for that character)

Maybe. I kinda got the impression that Merlot is viewed as a pleb wine amongst wine afficiandos?

I have no frame of reference for this as I’m a blue collar uncultured slob

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sponges posted:

Maybe. I kinda got the impression that Merlot is viewed as a pleb wine amongst wine afficiandos?

I have no frame of reference for this as I’m a blue collar uncultured slob

Yeah but I mean how so compared to ordering a chardonnay or cabernet, vichy soisse or any other?

I'm in the same cultural boat in that I like merlot simply because of the abv though :devil:

e: could have been a trend at the time or it could have been an attempt to establish one, it probably did for a while, bet it's hard to untangle the two

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but I mean how so compared to ordering a chardonnay or cabernet, vichy soisse or any other?

Lol getting drunk on some vichyssoise

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Lol getting drunk on some vichyssoise

Getting drunk the keto way

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Merlot was the preferred wine in the 90s which had growers overplanting, resulting in some poor quality grapes ending up in cheaper bottles. Merlot is a wine you can gently caress around with, blending it with other varietals in an attempt at complexity, or in this case, to try to mask the flavor of really lovely grapes, so it was already developing a bad reputation by the time Sideways came out. The movie just helped solidify a downward trend.

It's crazy, but Sideways actually had a marked effect on not only Merlot sales, but a huge effect on Pinot Noir. Sales of Pinot shot up big after the movie was released and remains one of the most popular wines still. In the industry, they call it The Sideways Effect.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Merlot was the preferred wine in the 90s which had growers overplanting, resulting in some poor quality grapes ending up in cheaper bottles. Merlot is a wine you can gently caress around with, blending it with other varietals in an attempt at complexity, or in this case, to try to mask the flavor of really lovely grapes, so it was already developing a bad reputation by the time Sideways came out. The movie just helped solidify a downward trend.

It's crazy, but Sideways actually had a marked effect on not only Merlot sales, but a huge effect on Pinot Noir. Sales of Pinot shot up big after the movie was released and remains one of the most popular wines still. In the industry, they call it The Sideways Effect.

Which is so odd. Paul Giamattis charecter is portrayed as a broken person throughout the film. Him degrading Merlot is a rininging endoremesnt.

Mofo knows poo poo about Wine

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I actually remember reading that it was a reference to a line that was cut, how he had a strong association or memory of drinking Merlot with his ex. But only that "I'm not drinking Merlot" but remains.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I don't recall how much attention it gets in the movie, but that super special bottle of wine that he's saving for some special occasion or another is a Merlot.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Crumps Brother posted:

I don't recall how much attention it gets in the movie, but that super special bottle of wine that he's saving for some special occasion or another is a Merlot.

I love that fact. The fact that his ex loved Merlot, causing him to abandon the variety violently and forever, yet the most important bottle of wine he has been waiting years for to mature is a Merlot. Then add to that he drinks it out of a paper cup in a fast food joint like a Hobo... It's so god damned sad. But by finally drinking it, he exorcises the demons of his ex, allowing him to be ready and able to really make a clean go of it with Virginia Madsen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
God help you if you worked at a non-upscale restaurant and your house red was a Merlot after that film came out. People eating a 3 dollar slice of pepperoni pizza acting snobbish about the 5 dollar glass of wine.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Skwirl posted:

God help you if you worked at a non-upscale restaurant and your house red was a Merlot after that film came out. People eating a 3 dollar slice of pepperoni pizza acting snobbish about the 5 dollar glass of wine.
oh my god

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Skwirl posted:

Lol that's amazing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Skwirl posted:

This is hilarious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I should say it's not my story. I just used to drink (beer) at a pizza joint.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sorta vague question, but I've been trying to figure this out a long time: is there another site other than IMDB that has comprehensive tagging? I always want to find lists of movies with certain kinds of scenes or themes or characters in them, and the IMDB tagging system is just about the only useful way I've ever seen it done and it's a pain in the rear end for research purposes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sorta vague question, but I've been trying to figure this out a long time: is there another site other than IMDB that has comprehensive tagging? I always want to find lists of movies with certain kinds of scenes or themes or characters in them, and the IMDB tagging system is just about the only useful way I've ever seen it done and it's a pain in the rear end for research purposes.

If you want to search by cars or guns there's the IMCDB or the IMFDB. Don't know about themes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Two subjects I don't give two fucks about. I will however search Boobopedia and Wikifeet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

If you want to search by cars or guns there's the IMCDB or the IMFDB. Don't know about themes.

I've always wondered if there's such a site with songs? I remember searching a few years back but anything I found was far from comprehensive.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

tvtropes :cenobite:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

feedmyleg posted:

I've always wondered if there's such a site with songs? I remember searching a few years back but anything I found was far from comprehensive.

The last couple times I've googled "that song at the end of episode 2 of whatever" I've ended up on sites that seem pretty up to date, at least for recent stuff. I think tunefind is the biggest one(?):

https://www.tunefind.com/movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah, I've been on TV Tropes. It's pretty useful for anime and very little else.