Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Magnus Praeda posted:

I feel like if you're going to drag around a portable junk shop, one of you must absolutely be dressed like this:

I did consider that, yeah. given it's her idea, I wanna see what her follow-through on it will be. She wants to borrow a character from her DnD group, by the name of L'il Bit, who is this odd sort of Happy-Mask-Salesmen-like figure that carries, well, a l'il bit of everything. She wants one or two people manning and pushing the cart and at least a couple people to randomly follow us around and be random patrons, buying potions and stuff off of the cart.

Squarely Circle posted:

That sounds like a really cool and fun idea as long as the cart isn't too awkward to lug around! I'm interested to know how you plan to construct that more than anything else, because I've also thought about making a similar thing to sell merch at cons. A few ideas: pokeball, mushroom powerup, triforce, the one ring... you could just get a black pompom and some googly eyes and make one of the sootballs from Spirited Away :3:
Those are some good ideas to start, yeah!

Considering design for the cart, what she's told me thus far is that she needs to ask the guy who came up with L'il Bit for specifics, but the cart is supposed to essentially be a large chest on a pull-cart, pulled along by a troll. The chest is supposed to be a somewhat-tamed mimic, and so most of the time, you can open the chest just fine, but there's always a chance that it'll try to bite you. Personally, I'm envisioning something shaped a bit like a hot dog cart in overall shape(minus umbrella, obvs), with a chest taking up the wheeled end that'll have one of those trick panels for the top that you can either open to reveal the inside, or open to reveal a panel with a painted mouth and teeth. The cart would be covered in trinkets, baubles, and other oddities.

As for construction, we just came up with this idea yesterday, so I haven't actually done any design work as of yet, but I can absolutely see making something out of cheap plywood and like, a cannibalized bike off Craigslist. The hardest/most expensive part would be the chest, and making that work, I think. Here's a quick doodle of a quick concept outline. The big non-chest box would basically be the display counter, with a door or shelves or the like inside to store more stuff, and all sorts of things dangling off the sides.

For our costumes, again, she wants to ask the OP, but she's envisioning something kinda like Doc Bandam, with different colors and a few extra details here and there. She wants one of us(probably me) to have a very worn and torn uniform and basically be the gofer, running off to get things and coming back singed and bruised after stealing that dragon egg or whatever.

Her overarching plan is to not really sell merch, but to kinda act like semi-magical sand people, and just kinda hussle and barter random junk for trinkets and the like. A couple ideas she's had were things like, making drinkable potions that could be portioned into tiny vials for trade, getting a huge bag of cheap reject D4s and rolling them for people and giving away trinkets for high rolls, and the dice themselves for low rolls("Oh, this dice is very unlucky... You take it. I don't want it anymore."), trading "soul gems"(rock candy) for things or crushing up and "empowering" items with them, and just showing off stuff and being weird and having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steven, the cute goldfish in a glass bubble from The Adventure Zone. Bonus: There's no canon art (podcast) so any recognizable goldfish in a glass bubble will be good enough. http://theadventurezone.wikia.com/wiki/Steven

A small card saying I Aten't Dead Yet? (Terry Pratchett, RIP)

e: Oh. I didn't realize you were actually selling the stuff. In that case, buy cheap plastic goldfish and put them into Christmas ornaments or equivalent.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Oh. I didn't realize you were actually selling the stuff. In that case, buy cheap plastic goldfish and put them into Christmas ornaments or equivalent.

No, we're not selling the actual items, we're just trading and giving away tiny trinkets, like little vials of "potions" or crappy D4s or the like. I don't think we'd actually be able to sell anything without some sort of vendor license or something. The actual stuff wouldn't be for sale or trade.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
As a former longtime EverQuest player, I'd die laughing if I saw a merchant selling monster trash like rat whiskers, bone fragments, bat wings, gnoll eyeballs, and snake fangs.

You could go the Elder Scrolls route and get a bunch of fake jewelry from a capsule vending machine.

Speaking of capsules, Dragon Ball has no shortage of those...

Print the cover to a mock issue of Fornax and see if any Mass Effect cosplayers notice.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If you can find some ornate feathers and paint them in bright colors you could describe them as Phoenix Feathers/Downs/Pins

A golden snitch from Harry Potter might work

A collection of Infinity Stones (must sell as a group) would be good.

Depending on if you are looking at including less "fantasy" a batarang or two might work

A green lantern ring might be cool

The puzzle box from Hellraiser

A mogwai in a cage

An Alien egg

A dragon ball might be pretty good too, and easy to make

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Bone Dust is a classic WoW trash item, or you could make a hearthstone pretty easily.

Overwatch is neat, Mei's hairpin charm, or McCree's belt buckle.

Hollow Knight has a ton of charms.

The Fire Emblem itself, the item/shield, with inset gemstones.

Darkest Dungeon has lots of trinkets, Bleed Stone might be the most common and recognizable one in the game.

Sonic Screwdriver.

Lightsaber.

Bag of senzu beans.

Any Zelda masks.

I feel like you could basically do this forever...

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

Thanks for the help on where to start repainting my foam D.va gun!

As you can see it started off pretty cheap looking. I had to sand off a lot of parts even the sights were originally one piece and I had to cut that apart and fill in a few spots.

Even after its base white coat it was starting to look better

After layering light to dark and lots of tape I finally had all the base colors. I hand painted the silver and green for the lights. Then touched up with some black.

After some roughing up and more black paint I finally got the junker gun I was looking for. I think I'm gonna leave out the little decal and eventually make the key out of polymer clay. But all in all I'm pretty happy with this being my first prop repaint... now to figure out how I'm going to get the costume together.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I'm making a super heroine costume with a big ol' monogram belt, as such:

The waistband is elastic and attached to the skirt, so no fastening is necessary, just need to make a big circle "buckle" with the letter D on it. Setting is the 1940s, so I want to keep that in mind, and it's all on stage, so it doesn't need to look good close up at all. Right now I'm thinking just foam covered in fabric with the 'D' painted on, but maybe there is something way cool/obvious that I don't know about?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can I subsitute wicker for ratan wood for internal frame work structure?

Im having a hell of a time finding ratan strips for what I need. My Google-Fu is weak lately.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

The waistband is elastic and attached to the skirt, so no fastening is necessary, just need to make a big circle "buckle" with the letter D on it. Setting is the 1940s, so I want to keep that in mind, and it's all on stage, so it doesn't need to look good close up at all. Right now I'm thinking just foam covered in fabric with the 'D' painted on, but maybe there is something way cool/obvious that I don't know about?

I'm picturing this as a big metal belt buckle, so what I would do is I would make a disk out of sturdy foam, maybe something about 1/4 inch thick. Then I would take thinner craft foam (about 1/8 in thick), cut out the D, and glue it on to the first disk so it's actually raised a little. Or you could just use a few layers of the craft foam, glue a few circles together and then glue the D on top.

Rythe posted:

Can I subsitute wicker for ratan wood for internal frame work structure?

Im having a hell of a time finding ratan strips for what I need. My Google-Fu is weak lately.

Probably. What is the structure and how would the rattan be used in the original construction? How much weight is it going to support?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I substituted wicker for the rattan I was original going to use and it has worked out great. The wicker is very supple, holds its shape well and can be bent without breaking.

I modified my original design for my daughters Giant Blueberry/Willy Wonka Violet costume. I designed the frame since I screwed up starting with the fabric. The fabric came out like a giant tube, I miss measured and didn't even get close to a circle.

I need to bend the wicker into a bit more circle shape but my problem is how do I now cover this in fabric? Im working with a standard non stretch cotton.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If I was doing it, I would add a few more wicker strips for a little more reinforcement. So where you have four vertical pieces I would probably double that to 8, and then add some horizontal pieces halfway up and down between the "equator" and the top/bottom. After that skeleton is in place it might be easier to attach the fabric to it.

I don't know how much fabric you have, but your sphere appears to be shorter than a yard tall, which should mean that your fabric piece (assuming you bought it off of a bolt) could be held in place at one longitude line and wrapped around the whole frame. Then any excess is just trimmed and tucked in to the top and bottom holes.

On the plus side, while basic cotton won't be super stretchy, it will have some give to it. I'd say looser around the frame would probably be better, otherwise it might look a little angular.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I took your advice about adding more supports and im glad I did, over all im very happy with the final product. My daughter freaked out over it too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Nice job. Glad it worked out for you.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Another My Hero Academia costume?

don't mind if i do!

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I'm almost finished building a 400x400x400 3D printer, and one of the things I want to print is a DeadMau5 helmet - the main globe of the head will fit in the build area, so I figure I can custom design mounting points for the hardware I'm planning to use (BT amp + speakers, beat-detection for animation effects, etc).

The block I'm running into is how in the heck do I use Fusion 360 to design in a sphere? I have all the "official" dimensions, and I have a good idea of how to get the angles needed (ie, for an arc, it doesn't go by length of arc, it goes by degrees it covers.), but getting things to play nice is frustrating. Any ideas?

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Hey goons! I'm dipping my toe into cosplay that will actually involve some sewing on my part, and there is a lot that I don't know about fabric.

Basically, I need a fabric stiff enough to make a bowtie like that, but also lightweight enough to make a decent lining for inside the coat, or at least under that little cape/collar bit. I was eyeballing this, but I can't tell if that's going to be that really slippery kind of satin that won't hold any sort of shape. What does "aerial structure" mean?

I did get a sample of a sort of stiffer, synthetic satin the other day, but it doesn't have the shine I was hoping for. If I can't work out a single fabric type though, I may just use two separate things, and hope the color is close enough.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can just get whatever fabric works best as the liner, and then stiffen or brace it for the bowtie. There are a ton of ways to do that - you can interface it on the interior to hold the shape, you could tack a slim wire to give it structure like you see in some ribbons, possibly even just use some sort of starch for it (there's something people use for hats that I can't remember the name of right now).

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

Ashcans posted:

You can just get whatever fabric works best as the liner, and then stiffen or brace it for the bowtie. There are a ton of ways to do that - you can interface it on the interior to hold the shape, you could tack a slim wire to give it structure like you see in some ribbons, possibly even just use some sort of starch for it (there's something people use for hats that I can't remember the name of right now).

Interfacing isn't a bad idea at all! I'm going to need some for the waistband anyway, I think.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

remember, it's that time of year, so stop, breathe, and remind yourself.

"my halloween costume does not need to be cosplay quality.

i do not need a lace front wig to get drunk and pass out on the pool table."

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I am super happy with the way everything came out this year, I did run out of time and had to buy my Oompa Loompa costume and I need to learn how to apply make-up better. Over all this Halloween is going to be another fun one.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
I'm making great progress on my Destiny 2 Warlock costume, as well as a 3D printed Hard Light auto-rifle. What I can't figure out is how to mount the rifle on my back (like your character does in-game when you're not in a combat zone) to free my hands up when I don't feel like holding it. I need to come up with a solution that won't damage the paint job on the gun, nor cover or alter the costume too much. If I was wearing an outfit with hard torso armor that might give me more options, but it's all textile at the moment.

I've attached a screenshot showing what I want to accomplish on the left, and the outfit I'm creating on the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Patattack posted:

I'm making great progress on my Destiny 2 Warlock costume, as well as a 3D printed Hard Light auto-rifle. What I can't figure out is how to mount the rifle on my back (like your character does in-game when you're not in a combat zone) to free my hands up when I don't feel like holding it. I need to come up with a solution that won't damage the paint job on the gun, nor cover or alter the costume too much. If I was wearing an outfit with hard torso armor that might give me more options, but it's all textile at the moment.

I've attached a screenshot showing what I want to accomplish on the left, and the outfit I'm creating on the right.

Several small magnets. You'll need rare earth ones for something of that weight, but you can stitch them into the lining of the jacket easily enough. What I don't know is how to build them into your rifle since I only use foam and thermoplastics. May take some adjustment of the build.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Several small magnets. You'll need rare earth ones for something of that weight, but you can stitch them into the lining of the jacket easily enough. What I don't know is how to build them into your rifle since I only use foam and thermoplastics. May take some adjustment of the build.

Magnets in the jacket is a pretty good idea, or even a magnet bandolier under the jacket if you don’t want as much disruption to the shape of things

Have you already modeled/printed your rifle? If not, just add a channel that’ll accept a 1/2” length of steel bar, and epoxy that steel in there. Optionally also print another piece to go on top or just paint over it at your leisure.

Actually steel bar is gonna likely be heavier than you need/want
Any strip of magnetic whatever will do, like maybe a thing of steel plumbers tape or the like

Or reverse this whole thing, put magnets in rifle and embed ferromagnetic strip in your jacket

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 31, 2018

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

With very little sewing experience, I am trying... a thing

So I did this for a con that isn't until July, but also this was mostly a test run with whatever fabric I could get at the local warehouse, I'll probably remake this with better fabric for the Con, but I ended up close enough to finishing this for a halloween party last weekend that I finished it. Twitter thread is also my progress log if you want to see a sewing newb fumble his way through a project
https://twitter.com/fishmanpet/status/1056414180016881664

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Laid out with a flu for a week

Finally feeling good enough to like, go back to work, and eat things that aren’t soup

When I realize oh gently caress tomorrow is Halloween

So I run out to Joann and I kill a six pack and get cozy with my sewing machine and my lovely glue gun because I left my good one at a friends house and four hours later we got this bad boy goin

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I need some advice: working on the prop rifle for my Mandalorian costume and I'm having a bit of a block on what to do for the optic-ish looking thing. I'm trying to keep the retrofuturistic look of star wars things. Gonna paint the handgrip to look like wood/bakelite and the rest to be metallic.

Currently it's 7 parts, gonna end up 12 total+hardware to hold it together. Mostly 3d printed, a wood dowel for the barrel. The stock will fold so I can actually get it in a suitcase for cons and to make it more convenient to carry during the convention.

Anyone have good ideas for a sight of some kind? Or suggestions to make it look better?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

L0cke17 posted:

Anyone have good ideas for a sight of some kind? Or suggestions to make it look better?

Search airsoft optics. They're pretty cheap and look ok.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Alternately, if you want inspiration for modeling your own sight, most of the weapons and related bits were old WWI/II equipment. Like the Sherman tank sight on Han's DL-44. Would be a good place to start.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
x-posting from the Ghostbusters thread...

I've wanted to open a box like this for most of my life and now it is finally here. :shobon: Gonna be lots of fun putting it together.

Here's a link if you are interested. :shepspends:

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 21, 2018

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I've heard bad things about that company and shipping products on time (if at all). How many years ago did you order that kit?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
lol, yeah. I was so excited to get it I forgot to mention the wait.

I ordered on February, 7th.

...of 2017.

I'd check their page for shipping estimates every once and while, they blew at least 3 deadlines that they posted. The frustrating part was being on their mailing list and getting emails every week about the exciting new licenses they got and the new products that were in stock and ready to ship, just knowing that my proton pack was getting pushed to the back burner over and over. On the plus side, when I ordered it was $350 cheaper than the price now, so they must have really underestimated the materials/labor that went into it.

Spirit Halloween has made made some much cheaper GB stuff, but it shows in the quality.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Got back some better photos of Zidane, I'm so happy Chez Photo really captured the movement of my tail!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

deoju posted:

x-posting from the Ghostbusters thread...

I've wanted to open a box like this for most of my life and now it is finally here. :shobon: Gonna be lots of fun putting it together.

Here's a link if you are interested. :shepspends:

There's a drat Ghostbusters thread? I spent 3 desperate months building a pack for my son for Halloween, and now I find out :D
Might as welll post some pics (click for big):

It's at 70% scale and a weird mishmash of wood, lasercut styrene, 3D printed parts and plumbing :D Also has 3 Arduinos and a 20W amplifier.
I got sick the week before Halloween, so finish is a bit rough, and a lot of the bits and pieces did't make it on.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

L0cke17 posted:

I need some advice: working on the prop rifle for my Mandalorian costume and I'm having a bit of a block on what to do for the optic-ish looking thing. I'm trying to keep the retrofuturistic look of star wars things. Gonna paint the handgrip to look like wood/bakelite and the rest to be metallic.

Currently it's 7 parts, gonna end up 12 total+hardware to hold it together. Mostly 3d printed, a wood dowel for the barrel. The stock will fold so I can actually get it in a suitcase for cons and to make it more convenient to carry during the convention.

Half a pair of binoculars is the sight off quite a lot of background SW props and usually has a relatively unique feel compared to the average boring standard gunsight.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Can someone recommend a pair of scissors or shears on amazon that's not going to lose its edge and or come loose at the center in an instant?

Needs to be general use, not just fabric.

Edit: and possibly a sharpening tool.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 17, 2018

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Deviant posted:

Can someone recommend a pair of scissors or shears on amazon that's not going to lose its edge and or come loose at the center in an instant?

Needs to be general use, not just fabric.

Edit: and possibly a sharpening tool.

Dunno what specifically you're trying to cut, but here's my kit that's handled any fabric, foam, leather, or vinyl I've thrown at it.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Amplify-Mixed-Media-Shears/dp/B00DRIWZC8/
https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-5023-Multi-Purpose-Craft-Knife/dp/B0007734UO/
https://www.amazon.com/5003-Ratchet-Lock-Heavy-Duty-Utility-Knife/dp/B0006SJAR0/
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-01-005875-Titanium-Softgrip-Comfort/dp/B0055740UO/

I sharpen frequently:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WALUV6/

And for super straight edges:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCT7VMC/

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Alright so I’m trying to do an impossible costume—

It’s a glowing orb with some limbs just kind of floating around it.

For the most part, simple enough. Make a mask, make a neck piece, make some foam armor for my limbs, wear a black zentai. No big deal.

But I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to do that central orb. My current plan is to do a packing tape duplicate of a small yoga ball that’s about the size of my torso and just wear the front half as like a sandwich board? But I’m not sure how well that’s going to work out so I’m open to suggestions.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sockser posted:

For the most part, simple enough. Make a mask, make a neck piece, make some foam armor for my limbs, wear a black zentai. No big deal.

But I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to do that central orb. My current plan is to do a packing tape duplicate of a small yoga ball that’s about the size of my torso and just wear the front half as like a sandwich board? But I’m not sure how well that’s going to work out so I’m open to suggestions.

A cover for a security camera might work.

https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Dome...ty+camera+cover

They come in smaller sizes

*edit* OH! cenral orb.

Those big plastic christmas balls might work.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sockser posted:

Have you thought of doing it more as a puppet than a costume? Like this: https://www.starwars.com/news/most-impressive-fans-darren-mosers-towering-and-brilliant-k-2so-cosplay

It would allow you to make something that has pretty clearly non-human proportions and structure without needing to worry about how to integrate it with a human form.