Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Someone talk me out of getting an aerophone

I just posted pretty much the same post as you last week, and got the Akai EWI for modest money. As someone who has never played any wind instrument beyond the penny whistle it was a pretty cool novelty buy, and the expressive capabilities of wind control are undeniable. However, I did feel some amount of buyer's remorse, and was somewhat relieved when I returned it for my cash back. I'm now in the process of building my own wind controller that better fits my needs and expectations, so my advice is to skip the aerophone, and back my upcoming techno-melodica kickstarter instead :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Teenage engineering support is really great. My PO-33 died somehow, so I contacted them, and had to taking a video plugging in new batteries to show it being completely unresponsive, and they're sending me a new one!

On a similar note, my friend has an OP-Z and I got to play around with it a bit this weekend. It's really really really good. The lack of a screen really doesn't hurt it much; just by learning a couple basics and being familiar with POs, I was able to do quite a bit. It definitely feels like you have the tools to put out some really good full tracks, and can pretty much do everything any of the other POs can do (aside from the KO). I had been looking at eurorack modules, but now I think my next synth-related purchase might be an OPZ.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Anyone know if omnisphere has hardware integration with the Nord Lead 4, or just the Nord Lead 1/2?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Anyone know if omnisphere has hardware integration with the Nord Lead 4, or just the Nord Lead 1/2?

Here's the full list from my instance.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Oldstench posted:

Here's the full list from my instance.

Thanks for this. Im guessing there’s no chance that because it supports earlier versions, it would support later versions even though it’s not listed?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Thanks for this. Im guessing there’s no chance that because it supports earlier versions, it would support later versions even though it’s not listed?

I honestly have no idea. Sorry. You could always email spectrasonics support.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Special shoutout to the 5mm too tall Model D box.

Speakin of the Boog, I’ve been keeping an eye out for news about their SH-101 clone so I can grab one as soon as it’s out so I can finally live out my dreams of playin’ a keytar on stage, which has led to skimming through a bunch of threads on gearslutz & other sites and.....

hooooooly poo poo are there way too many people with an axe to grind against Uli for making cheap (read: actually affordable) clones of vintage synths.

These were the same numbskulls who just a few years earlier would whinge nonstop about how ”Roland really needs to stop making ‘fake’ VAs with the names of their vintage synths and they could totally make a mint if only they’d just make a real analog synth instead of digital cash grabs like the boutique series or the Gaia or Juno-D”.

Then when someone does actually remake the gear they were all clamoring for, they just get real mad at him for his “attempt to cash in on the fame of the originals” and “stealing money from the original creators) instead of making something original and modern instead - conveniently forgetting the Deepmind and Neutron in the process (these same twits also complained for a decade that Dave Smith wasn’t just immediately making reissues of the Prophet 5 as soon as he started DSI). I also notice these same mouthbreathers weren’t shy about lining up to buy X0Xbox kits, back when the original runs were still being assembled.

So much cognitive dissonance :psyduck:

For my part, I’m really looking forward to grabbing the MS-101 and VC-340 plus the 808 and 909 clones when they come out. And the other big ones I’m hoping Behringer clones are a Jupiter 8 clone and maybe an Arp 2600, if for no other reason than the only reason I originally got into eurorack was because it was the cheapest way to get the functionality and capabilities of a 2600... and when the *cheap* way of getting the synth you want involves dropping a few thou on eurocrack, you know the market prices are a bit hosed.

I do have to wonder how much of the nastiness and anger at Behringer is just collectors mad that this is likely to devalue large collections of vintage gear by a lot; the musicians who only care about having an instrument to play should be ecstatic, since this means they will be able to get more synths, for a lot less money. For someone just starting out right now, you can get a whole lotta synth for $1200- a Deepmind 6, a Neutron, and a Boog. I paid $1200 for the first proper synth I ever bought new, and that was for a mid-range rompler in the 90’s, so being able to get not one, but three good-sounding synths for that price, and real-deal analog ones at that (not VAs or romplers) is just fantastic.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
People who complain about that stuff aren't musicians, they're just collectors. No musician would be upset about more affordable instruments getting into the hands of more people as it just means more music to listen to and enjoy. Those people are just the kind of people whose self worth depends on the number of upvotes they get in r/musicbattlestations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yea speculators and wannabe speculators think synths are an investment at best and a store of wealth at worst. Lol.
You’ll see similar :cry: for every elektron release especially the MkIIs, every single euro module revision, etc etc.
I wish that QMMG re-run wasn’t limited, people were dropping twice retail+ on those things.

If your mindset isn’t :retrogames: dunno

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Roland could re-issue identical, part for part versions of the 808/101/etc and these wankers would be moaning that the packing peantuts don’t sound analogue enough.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

So, you know what you did wrong, right?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BeigeJacket posted:

Roland could re-issue identical, part for part versions of the 808/101/etc and these wankers would be moaning that the packing peantuts don’t sound analogue enough.

That’s just it: they’re not mad that they don’t sound exactly like the originals, they’re mad that these identical-sounding clones weren’t made by Roland (or Sequential or Arp, etc).
They’re literally mad that the person answering their demands to remake the vintage stuff isn’t the same company that made the originals (yet for some reason I haven’t seen them bitching at Korg for making the Karp Odyssey at a reasonable price). And these same complainers are all over Roland’s dick to get their Minimoog-knockoff.

I honestly think they’re mostly mad that it’s Behringer doing it instead of a ‘prestigious’ brand, because they’ve spent so long turning up their noses at that brand that they can’t bring themselves be happy you don’t have to pay $3000 for a Minimoog anymore.

I have a feeling that if some pricey boutique brand or someone like Yamaha was to make a 100% identical clone of say, a Juno-106 or something similar, these guys would be lining up to fellate whoever made the announcement, as long as it’s not a ‘cheap’ brand.

It’s also worth noting that as a 106 owner, I would be thrilled if someone made a cheap clone (preferably without flaky filter chips like the original). I don’t care if mine lost 2/3 of it’s value overnight, because then I wouldn’t have to worry about losing it due to parts failure or something and being unable to afford a replacement at current prices.

Oldstench posted:

So, you know what you did wrong, right?

If this thread had an RSS feed of all the new synth news I’m looking for, I wouldn’t have to slum it on whatever sites come up on the first page of google results for “Behringer SH-101 release date and price” :colbert:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 31, 2018

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I’m an avowed and known boring DCO hater but honestly whatever subtractive through into a 106 chorus pedal or module...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love DCO's they're accurate, they're not affected by temperature, and they're cheaper. I have a nice little monophonic synth at a fraction of the price it would have cost even 10 years ago. Now good polysynths are within my reach, more of it I say. Don't care about the brand in the slightest.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Another Forum Post Poster Postered posted:

Bitwig Studio 2 8-Track will be free with issue 264 of Computer Music magazine. And the advertising blurb states that there will be a "massive tutorial course". Hopefully this means more tips and tricks for Bitwig in CM moving forward. And of course more users getting in to Bitwig!

I bought Bitwig 2 in the summer sale and absolutely dig it even though I havent got too deep yet. It seems to make sense for me in a way Ableton never did. Might be worth the price of admission for the 8 track. They also used to have a heavily discounted upgrade path from the ver 1 8 track (I assume that the new one will be similar). I dont know how effective all the CV stuff is because I dont own any CV gear.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

HotCanadianChick posted:

That’s just it: they’re not mad that they don’t sound exactly like the originals, they’re mad that these identical-sounding clones weren’t made by Roland (or Sequential or Arp, etc).
They’re literally mad that the person answering their demands to remake the vintage stuff isn’t the same company that made the originals (yet for some reason I haven’t seen them bitching at Korg for making the Karp Odyssey at a reasonable price). And these same complainers are all over Roland’s dick to get their Minimoog-knockoff.

You're forgetting the whole point of complaining about clones and re-issues - to namedrop all the gear they own and claim the new one doesn't sound as good.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

I would love to have an affordable 101 and I hope lots of people start making them but this sounds like a discount volca or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2D4rpiRQns

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
If you have a BSII, get the 2.5 firmware right now. It's like a new synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWYAu3tZn8

kare
Mar 19, 2002

AnnoyBot posted:

If you have a BSII, get the 2.5 firmware right now. It's like a new synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWYAu3tZn8

:bang:

Product registration required, and you need a "Bundle Code" to register it on their website. It appears to be a piece of paper that lets you download Ableton Live Lite?! Waiting for support to give me a new one, but I don't think that will happen until Monday

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I got really excited for the microtuning -- I may have to get one.

So Math fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 3, 2018

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

BeigeJacket posted:

The people who own the originals will say that those sound better (this also happened with the Mini reissue which was as authentic as things could get) and bemoan that their investments have dropped in value.

The people who don’t own the originals hope that the vintage market is going to crash, and then they will pick up the originals for the prices they should’ve bought them for 30 years ago instead of the new reliable units.

All I know is that playing synths is awesome and the more people that can experience that awesomeness, the better. I don’t care how it happens - hardware or software - as long as it happens.

My only gripe with Behringer is that I would be willing to pay more for better sliders on a DeepMind, but the fact that you are getting a high quality effects unit with a synth tacked on for that kind of money is absolutely crazy.

I hope they can make a bit-accurate H3000 as well.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The stringer isn’t coming is it :(

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

My only gripe with Behringer is that I would be willing to pay more for better sliders on a DeepMind

I actually really like the sliders. They have just enough friction/give that makes them feel nice to move around. Yes, there's a little play left to right, but I don't move them that way and they feel pretty solid to me.

I have had the Deepmind 12 for about a month now, and it's slowly revealing its secrets to me and the more I play with it, the more it makes me want to use it. It has really sparked a creativity in me that I haven't really had before. I love, love, love my Deepmind 12.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Startyde posted:

The stringer isn’t coming is it :(

VC340 you mean? Amazona got a unit to review and demo, but the tape on the back suggests that it's still a prototype/early rev?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

VC340 you mean? Amazona got a unit to review and demo, but the tape on the back suggests that it's still a prototype/early rev?

Oh phew, can’t wait :sparkles:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Packed my synths in for the move and wow, it's actually kinda nice to have all this room on my desk. Think I gotta find a new storage/usability solution here. Seriously thinking about piling the synths themselves on a secondary desk, controlling everything with the Beatstep Pro and Keystep, and installing some hardcore swivel arms where I can swing those two out of the way when I don't need them.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Mistayke posted:

I actually really like the sliders. They have just enough friction/give that makes them feel nice to move around. Yes, there's a little play left to right, but I don't move them that way and they feel pretty solid to me.

I have had the Deepmind 12 for about a month now, and it's slowly revealing its secrets to me and the more I play with it, the more it makes me want to use it. It has really sparked a creativity in me that I haven't really had before. I love, love, love my Deepmind 12.

I love my DM12 too. I just wish that you could pipe sounds through it because it’s got such a massive effects section

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

I would love to have an affordable 101 and I hope lots of people start making them but this sounds like a discount volca or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2D4rpiRQns

20 minutes of the same short, boring pattern like that would make anything sound less than impressive. Reverb would have helped a lot, as well. I think it is promising, and I like how closely they modeled after the original.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Fors Yard posted:

20 minutes of the same short, boring pattern like that would make anything sound less than impressive. Reverb would have helped a lot, as well. I think it is promising, and I like how closely they modeled after the original.

But can you wear it as a Keytar?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

64bit_Dophins posted:

But can you wear it as a Keytar?

Yes they are doing the Keytar grip as well.

Honestly, they got the Model D right, I will give them the benefit of the doubt, I believe this will sound just fine once it's finalized.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

toadee posted:

Yes they are doing the Keytar grip as well.

Honestly, they got the Model D right, I will give them the benefit of the doubt, I believe this will sound just fine once it's finalized.

Oh very nice.

I don't understand why the Keytar ever went out of style tbh

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I love my DM12 too. I just wish that you could pipe sounds through it because it’s got such a massive effects section

Have you read the manual

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

snorch posted:

I just posted pretty much the same post as you last week, and got the Akai EWI for modest money. As someone who has never played any wind instrument beyond the penny whistle it was a pretty cool novelty buy, and the expressive capabilities of wind control are undeniable. However, I did feel some amount of buyer's remorse, and was somewhat relieved when I returned it for my cash back. I'm now in the process of building my own wind controller that better fits my needs and expectations, so my advice is to skip the aerophone, and back my upcoming techno-melodica kickstarter instead :getin:

I have been banging on about the need for a MIDI melodica for over a decade now. It seems like such an obvious and fun idea, and it's kinda baffling that there's not one out there. I guess mostly people just use one of those TEC controllers for that sort of thing, but having it all in one little controller with some onboard sounds would be so cool.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

abominable anime posted:

Have you read the manual

Does it say that you can pipe sounds through it? Because I don't see that in the manual and searching "audio in" doesn't lead me anywhere.

content
Feb 13, 2014

e: sold

content fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 13, 2018

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

After looking at yours, I had to poke around. Are people loving stoned out of their minds here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Jup...b5Pvd:rk:6:pf:0

Just going down the rabbit hole a bit, Jesus Christ, the prices for some of these things is completely off the hook insane. I haven't looked at vintage synths, but my God, it's like I should have invested and just put the things in storage for 30 years.

BRAND NEW IN BOX NEVER OPENED! JUPITER 8!! RARE VINTAGE - $39.000.00

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Most of those are fishing expeditions though.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Rifter17 posted:

Does it say that you can pipe sounds through it? Because I don't see that in the manual and searching "audio in" doesn't lead me anywhere.

Yeah if I’m a loving ding dong please tell me pronto

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Trying to figure out how to use my digitone to sequence an external drum machine.

I have the midi track enabled on the right channel but I’m having trouble understanding polyphonic sequencing. From what I understand, it supports eight note midi polyphony per midi track. But the sequencer seems to only let me use one note per step.

How do I add multiple notes to a trigger so for example it plays back a hat and kick on the same step?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I haven't tried using the MIDI part of the Digitone, but look at Page 29 of the Digitone manual. It shows how to input multiple notes for a Trig, and the same process should work for MIDI tracks.