Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's weird. Usually Bradford just says "well, you hosed it up! Pack it in, folks" in an incredibly disappointed-in-you tone.

I can't quite recall the specifics, but I remember doing a mission where I found a terminal I was supposed to hack, and immediately some Andromeda fucker rammed through the tile it was on and just destroyed it, failing the mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve had sectopods do the same.

Is there a cosmetic mod for melee weapons? I’ve got a Ranger nicknamed ‘Axeman” whose main hobby is showing the aliens how he got that name, and I’d love to put an axe in his hands for max :black101:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The Alien hunters dlc gives you an axe that you can throw at enemies if you really want the axe action (axtion)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Bakalakadaka posted:

The Alien hunters dlc gives you an axe that you can throw at enemies if you really want the axe action (axtion)

To this day, years later, I still say “I NEED TO AXE YOU A QUESTION’’ every time I throw it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Is there a mod that undoes the Legendary difficulty time inflation? I like the tactical challenge but the doubled campaign length just wears me out towards the end.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
what's even funnier is that your soldiers actually use proper axe throwing form to throw it

it was someone's job to go to one of those trendy axe throwing places and learn this poo poo so they could coach mocap actors on how to throw the axe

this is a wild and amazing world we live in

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Out of the chosen I like your man who mutters “... thought you were the strongest” when the big baddy is chastising them lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

Out of the chosen I like your man who mutters “... thought you were the strongest” when the big baddy is chastising them lol

The Hunter owns, amidst all the "WE'RE GONNA GET YA BLEH BLEH" radio chatter on the Avenger, one of his lines is dunking on the Warlock and psionics in general for being overdramatic chatty lunatics :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the Hunter is warhammer as gently caress. he hates his situation, has no hope of actually winning to the point where he can't even really envision what he'll do if the world ends up as his, but basically keeps plodding forward because what the hell else is he gonna do?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Julian still has the best own in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The hunter is the best chosen and geist is the best faction leader, betos and volkswagen have nothing to say but I’m always happy to see geist pop in and start hamming it up :allears:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Coolguye posted:

the Hunter is warhammer as gently caress. he hates his situation, has no hope of actually winning to the point where he can't even really envision what he'll do if the world ends up as his, but basically keeps plodding forward because what the hell else is he gonna do?

"I should probably start going on about how I'm going to kill you all for the glory of the Elders, but let's be real - I just like to kill things."

"I want to say you're walking into an elaborate trap, but then I'd be lying - I honestly never thought anyone would walk in here voluntarily."

He's great.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The hunter rules and it annoys me that he has the best weapons and makes the most sense to murder first

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want a mod that lets you recruit the Hunter by promising him plenty of cool stuff to shoot at.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

The hunter rules and it annoys me that he has the best weapons and makes the most sense to murder first

I’m not sure about that, having a sword that ignores armor and is guaranteed to hit lets you do some pretty ridiculous things with implacable and bladestorm. If the sword does enough damage to kill then you can park your ranger next to someone with your implacable move, and be guaranteed that they’re dead, basically getting 2 guaranteed kills.

I saw beagle do it once by alerting a crew of 4 aliens by just running into the middle of them from stealth and chopping one, and bladestorm + the following implacable/bladestorm trap meant they nearly all died from that one attack. I used it myself a couple times and it’s just filthy.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

I want a mod that lets you recruit the Hunter by promising him plenty of cool stuff to shoot at.

YES. Or at least an option to make your character LOOK like him. For now, we'll have to settle for a voicepack. In fact, there's one for all three Chosen. Kinda neat.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1300709904
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1351731265
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1423448147

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Digirat posted:

I’m not sure about that, having a sword that ignores armor and is guaranteed to hit lets you do some pretty ridiculous things with implacable and bladestorm. If the sword does enough damage to kill then you can park your ranger next to someone with your implacable move, and be guaranteed that they’re dead, basically getting 2 guaranteed kills.

I saw beagle do it once by alerting a crew of 4 aliens by just running into the middle of them from stealth and chopping one, and bladestorm + the following implacable/bladestorm trap meant they nearly all died from that one attack. I used it myself a couple times and it’s just filthy.

I mean I didn't say the others weren't good but a perma serial dfa sniper is pretty baller

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Bakalakadaka posted:

I mean I didn't say the others weren't good but a perma serial dfa sniper is pretty baller

Darkclaw Pistol + Bluescreens makes fanfire into one hell of a "gently caress off forever sectopod/gatekeeper" button as well

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Warlock's rifle is my favourite of them all because it makes the coolest sound.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Nordick posted:

The Warlock's rifle is my favourite of them all because it makes the coolest sound.

Extremely compelling argument ngl

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nordick posted:

I just wish you got something else special with it because every other Chosen gives you two weapons, even if they are for the same class. A super-psi amp maybe.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

First chosen mission it took me ages to punch a hole through The Lost right at the end. Kept getting comms about how I don’t have much time and was paranoid I’d get a turn counter every time.

You can sit there and farm kills from lost until the game crashes. The narrative treats it as though something will happen if you wait but it never ramps up or anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dr. Stab posted:

You can sit there and farm kills from lost until the game crashes. The narrative treats it as though something will happen if you wait but it never ramps up or anything.

Oh, that is an idea. Lost Escalation, where every Lost spawn is always bigger than the last. Eventually there will just be so many you won't be able to keep up even with Between the Eyes unless everyone is using pistols and never misses.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh, that is an idea. Lost Escalation, where every Lost spawn is always bigger than the last. Eventually there will just be so many you won't be able to keep up even with Between the Eyes unless everyone is using pistols and never misses.

Except you can handle an unlimited number of lost by standing on top of a ladder so they don't have a path to you.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of Axeman, he random'd into short shorts and no shirt, just body armor, boots, and a helmet. I like how he rolls :getin:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ravenfood posted:

I just wish you got something else special with it because every other Chosen gives you two weapons, even if they are for the same class. A super-psi amp maybe.

Psi is so overpowered at it's final tear, I am not sure what a super psi amp could even offer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

Psi is so overpowered at it's final tear, I am not sure what a super psi amp could even offer.

literally mind controlling avatars with a 100% hit rate

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lowen SoDium posted:

maybe cause something like Soulfire to chain like Mind Scorch?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dr. Stab posted:

Except you can handle an unlimited number of lost by standing on top of a ladder so they don't have a path to you.

You know I legit forgot about that because it hasn't been relevant to me in a long while.

I know there's at least one mod that adds an upgraded Lost the poisons the area around it when it gets shot, and another that explodes. Imagine A Better Lost mod adding Lost mutations and variations. A version that can fly, a version that carries a gun from the old world, a super mutant behemoth from Fallout 4...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

You know I legit forgot about that because it hasn't been relevant to me in a long while.

I know there's at least one mod that adds an upgraded Lost the poisons the area around it when it gets shot, and another that explodes. Imagine A Better Lost mod adding Lost mutations and variations. A version that can fly, a version that carries a gun from the old world, a super mutant behemoth from Fallout 4...

The Brute from World War L is big and bulky and poisons the area around it, and is tougher than even the vanilla Brutes. The Vanilla Brutes got repurposed into Howlers in that mod, which, if left alive, howl to bring the next swarm quicker, like an explosion without the actual explosion.

A Better ADVENT adds the Boomers, which have less health, a tiny bit of armor, and straight-up explode like a frag grenade when they die.

I'm pretty sure at least one of those two allows Dashers to climb walls.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

As a new player to xcom 2, should I start with the base game or dive right into war of the chosen?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Hard to say. It's easy to say dive right in, but the game can and will throw a lot at you all at once.

If you're confident that you can handle it all at once, then dive right in.

But if you're at all unsure, then ease yourself in by starting with the base game. Figure that out, then add in all the new stuff from War of the Chosen. We were told constantly before release that WotC was going to be an enormous expansion. We were not lied to.

And since WotC comes with the Legacy Pack for now, I'll say hold off on the Resistance Archive campaigns in the Legacy menu until after you've played through the game once. XCOM2 is a difficult game, like most XCOM's, and those Legacy campaigns assume you know what you're doing already. Plus, kinda spoilers for alien types, as despite taking place before XCOM2, they didn't add any new enemy types or bring back old enemies from Enemy Unknown/Within.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 31, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean I played ufo enemy unknown as well as xcom enemy unknown years ago, but I haven't played anything of xcom 2 nor any dlc for xcom 1. .

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

You'll be fine. Jump in.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Can I come back to the Pratal Mox rescue if I'm not ready rn? I'm hoping!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well finally lost my first soldier because I assumed severing the link to a priest would kill the lancer too but not only did it not but the Priest became immune lol

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve had sectopods do the same.

Is there a cosmetic mod for melee weapons? I’ve got a Ranger nicknamed ‘Axeman” whose main hobby is showing the aliens how he got that name, and I’d love to put an axe in his hands for max :black101:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1123258145

Also if you use the alien hunters axe, I highly suggest this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1215333362

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There are honestly a NUMBER of mods for various melee weapons, some cosmetic, some with unique stats.

I remain fond of the Ripjacks for Rangers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pretty sure this rear end in a top hat tried to rob me in Fallout 4 once

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

Well finally lost my first soldier because I assumed severing the link to a priest would kill the lancer too but not only did it not but the Priest became immune lol

Well you did assume correctly, it's just that the priests have Sustain so they tend to go into stasis and survive with 1hp instead of dying outright. But when they do die while mind linked then the holy warrior goes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah Sustain is loving annoying when it triggers on Priests, which is just about all the goddamn time.