Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i bought a 2080ti

it's p. fast. i can push 144hz in CK2

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

where's that post about the minecraft player whos loaded parents got them 8 grand of computer which was, I think, a 980 Ti SLI and such.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

SRQ posted:

where's that post about the minecraft player whos loaded parents got them 8 grand of computer which was, I think, a 980 Ti SLI and such.

didn't mindcraft used to be super unoptimized and require massive computer to do well?

i've never played it but i want to recall notch being roasted for his bad game a ton before it became top poo poo for kids on every platform

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Not quite, Minecraft un-modded will run fine on anything Core 2 and up.
If you mod it or extend the draw distance yeah it's on loving java so lmbo.

obligatory reminder that Notch moved to the states and bought a giant mansion made for several dozen guests to dodge taxes, lives alone, and whined about how lonely it was on social media.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

abigserve posted:

quotin' to say that I have a 1060 and 1440p 60hz monitor and it's flawless

I'm going to build a new PC soon and I probably won't even upgrade the card just the storage, cpu and memory. then the next upgrade when the 20xx series becomes affordable Ill get a 4k monitor as well

edit; to quantify "flawless" it runs FH4 on high without dipping below 60fps outside of some extremely hectic areas

FallHout 4??

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SRQ posted:

obligatory reminder that Notch moved to the states and bought a giant mansion made for several dozen guests to dodge taxes, lives alone, and whined about how lonely it was on social media.

also he's really into reactionary/white supremacist politics

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

he bought that house out from under Beyoncé and must pay for his crimes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

All the single Notches
All the single Notches

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i have a rtx 2080 and its good with 3440x1440 g-sync

its very very need suiting

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i still have an old CPU so i can't quite do 2560x1440 at 144hz in most FPS tho, but the 2080ti has definitely helped with hoi4 and stuff

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i still have an old CPU so i can't quite do 2560x1440 at 144hz in most FPS tho, but the 2080ti has definitely helped with hoi4 and stuff

i have an i7 3770k with a board and ram sitting around doing nothing, if that'd help

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Skim Milk posted:

what if i told u that video games are for children

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

timshardware posted:

at 4K with DLSS enabled, all of the rendering steps are performed at QHD. It's only the penultimate image that jumps to 4K, right before the menu is overlaid.

Also interesting, when the rendering is finished in QHD, the graphics card applies anti-aliasing just before going into 4K. We don't know the nature of this anti-aliasing step, but we suspect that it's simply TAA for two reasons. First, it's ineffective on the first frame of a new scene, similar to temporal anti-aliasing. Second, DLSS appears to only be compatible with games (or demos for now) that support TAA
lomarf just upscale that poo poo

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what's a dlss

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

dlss nuts

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

SRQ posted:

what's a dlss

it apparently means rendering the whole thing at lower res, using normal temporal aa, then upscaling with a kernel trained from a neural network using your turing cores™, and calling it progress.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:wtc:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it apparently means rendering the whole thing at lower res, using normal temporal aa, then upscaling with a kernel trained from a neural network using your turing cores™, and calling it progress.

it's the other way 'round, but yeah. it first figures out the frame at a higher res and downsamples it, giving a nice anti-aliasing effect

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

news: macOS drivers for 10.14 still not out, and it's been one full point release since release.

thanks applevidia it's both their faults

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

it's the other way 'round, but yeah. it first figures out the frame at a higher res and downsamples it, giving a nice anti-aliasing effect

it might be able to do that too (the 'ss' in the name hopefully refers to 'supersampling' rather than signifying a nazi influence), but i am quite sure the most common usecase will be to replace the now-standard engine (temporal) upsampling "AA"

e.g. the demo nvidia used to show it off was some epic thing that rendered in 1440k and used dlss to upsample to 4k

the weird bit is that it'll be a feature mostly for AAA titles, since the full effect is only achieved by giving nvidia a custom build of the game which renders scenes in various resolutions at the same time (and presumably navigates through various parts of the game automatically), which nvidia then grinds out a specific neural network for. as far as i understand the tools to make the nets are not available for anyone else to work with

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SRQ posted:

news: macOS drivers for 10.14 still not out, and it's been one full point release since release.

thanks applevidia it's both their faults
dont hold your breath. the pascal drivers took forever. web drivers are like nvidia’s lowest priority, im surprised they keep doing them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

dont hold your breath. the pascal drivers took forever. web drivers are like nvidia’s lowest priority, im surprised they keep doing them

the only market for them are people with cheese grater mac pros, many of which are 10+ years old now, a handful of hackintoshers they can't be seen as officially supporting and the one guy with an egpu plugged into their mbp

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i'm using the nvidia web drivers right now and i don't know what the fuss is about, they seem fine

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The_Franz posted:

the only market for them are people with cheese grater mac pros, many of which are 10+ years old now, a handful of hackintoshers they can't be seen as officially supporting and the one guy with an egpu plugged into their mbp

that's me

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
apparently the top of the line one is an rmafest too

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hackintoshers and egpu people are enough of a combined market that the drivers are worth developing? i guess? i cant imagine more than a couple hundred people are still using cheese grater mac pros except with fancy new graphics cards.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hackintoshers and egpu people are enough of a combined market that the drivers are worth developing? i guess? i cant imagine more than a couple hundred people are still using cheese grater mac pros except with fancy new graphics cards.

i pretty much assume that there is some big customer that has something hacked up in one way or another and asks nvidia to do the drivers, the public release being largely incidental

i also assume that there'll only be drivers for the latest arch when that customer upgrades

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

they maintain freebsd and solaris drivers too, which have an absolutely minuscule user base, so i can't imagine that it takes much persuading for them to support a platform. it's p. obvious that the mac drivers are pretty far down the priority list though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

huh i didnt know that. cyber vermin’s explanation probably makes more sense then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

they maintain freebsd and solaris drivers too, which have an absolutely minuscule user base, so i can't imagine that it takes much persuading for them to support a platform. it's p. obvious that the mac drivers are pretty far down the priority list though.

the freebsd and solaris drivers are just the linux drivers recompiled

the "shim" layer to adapt the unix driver to a specific kernel is only a couple thousand lines of code

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
it also helps their pedigree and reputation as a tech company, not just catering to the 360 proscope crowd and all that entails.

it could also be a failsafe if microsoft just totally loses their marbles and has a serious sour grapes tantrum over the world’s refusal to accept UWP and depreciates Win32/WoW64 causing everyone to install freebsd from a recommendation from some inexplicably famous kid on youtube because it’s what playstations use, so it must be good enough.

i remember marklar(osx x86) builds being based off of Panther, but the stuff that never leaked almost certainly went all the way back to the very first osx build. having the ability to adapt to platform changes at the drop of a hat isn’t completely without value. especially if it’s just a few thousand lines of code.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the linux port of the nvidia driver is an actual money-maker for nvidia for a variety of reasons -- gpu compute, cad/cam, video walls, android, kiosks, etc

as long as the linux port exists and makes money, the solaris and freebsd ports are easy part time projects. a few hours a week for one employee, if that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i seem to remember that they got the first osx86 build working in like a day

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i assume they are maintaining the apple drivers just in case apple ever comes back to the fold

i seem to remember that they got the first osx86 build working in like a day

this is because osx has been explicitly multi-architecture since 1993.

everything around osx at every layer is designed to be easy to recompile for new processor archs, for decades

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yea i assume the arm build is particularly mature

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i just assume they've had an arm build since, like, the first iphone or earlier.

hell i wouldnt be surprised if they secretly had powerpc builds for years after the switch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yea i assume the arm build is particularly mature

what is today known has osx has been ported to a lot of poo poo

x86
m68k
m88k
pa-risc
sparc
arm

i assume other ports were dabbled with in the ugly 68k transition era, but are these are the ports that they publicly talked about

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

everything around osx at every layer is designed to be easy to recompile for new processor archs, for decades
i'm fairly certain osx was up and running on intel day zero, since darwin itself has always had an i686 branch as far as i can remember. considering the size of apple compared to nvidia, the relative amount of effort was probably more or less the same as all of nvidia's unix drivers. both the macos web, and the dead gay varieties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

i'm fairly certain osx was up and running on intel day zero, since darwin itself has always had an i686 branch as far as i can remember. considering the size of apple compared to nvidia, the relative amount of effort was probably more or less the same as all of nvidia's unix drivers. both the macos web, and the dead gay varieties.

rhapsody dr1, a few years before the official "osx," ran on x86

that said, apple claimed their x86 port took about a month. i assume they needed some time to implement missing device drivers in an ancient, unmaintained tree

the original x86 port was in 1993

• Locked thread