Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Helicity posted:

my director wears black socks with sandals, so ive got free reign to dress like a moron

that’s fine, american lunacy is white socks with sandals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

white socks in general is lunacy, make the piece of clothing most likely to get thoroughly dirty hard to get clean (-looking)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tef what kind of bag do you have

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
an issey miyake baobao backpack

https://www.baobaoisseymiyake.com/shop/baobaoisseymiyake/item/view/shop_product_id/168/category_id/95/color_id/611

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that’s a nice bag indeed

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Maximo Roboto posted:

Is Flutter any good for making mobile apps? Only saw YOSPOS making fun of Dart 2

it's good but probably not good enough to use. it's just react in weird not Java and it's gonna get like three users before google stops supporting it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

I dress more smartly than my boss’s boss’s boss, and that still means comfortable jeans and whatever shoes I like (i wear what you’d call waiter shoes because they look nice and feel great and it’s actually quite rare for people to get down on their knees next to me to peer at the label)

sorry you work in an ibmesque hellhole I guess?

not even ibm requires business clothing for developers anymore lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
my work would probably prefer I wore shoes around the office, but I’ve seen plenty of people not bother

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i bet professor falken wrote the WOPR in unreadable lisp

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am currently wearing kenneth cole high top sneakers whilst at work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Helicity posted:

my director wears black socks with sandals, so ive got free reign to dress like a moron

huh you might actually have me, there

i'm not sure what to do if the important people dress like idiots

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

well all their developers are in bangalore so wool suits aren't all that practical anymore, for both price and climate reasons

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

huh you might actually have me, there

i'm not sure what to do if the important people dress like idiots

deloaferize yourself and face to teva

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
wearing jeans to the office because the important decision makers wore jeans was like pulling teeth for the first few days

if socks and sandals are the new ... look....

that may be a bridge too far

at that point shooting up the office seems about equally preferable to appearing in person.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

exactly why even bother with clothes, just work from home and save that $$

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
on my work from home days i wear slippers, and that's it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they're very fashionable slippers, in order to impress the wife :smug:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wearing jeans to the office because the important decision makers wore jeans was like pulling teeth for the first few days

lol

if the decision makers wear jeans they probably dgaf what you wear

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on my work from home days i wear slippers, and that's it

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they're very fashionable slippers, in order to impress the wife :smug:

need somethin to distract her from the wedding tackle huh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

need somethin to distract her from the wedding tackle huh

don't worry that's designer too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

lol

if the decision makers wear jeans they probably dgaf what you wear

that's the joke. they wear designer jeans and judge the fools who don't. there's layers within layers, and rules within rules

zuck spends $5k+ to look like a complete loving toolbag. all that horrible poo poo he wears is designer, and the folks who pay that money will pick you out for failing to do the same

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the whole "game" with clothing is some nonsense awful bullshit

but the only way to win is not to play (i.e. be unemployed)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i miss wearing a cheapo garbage suit every day. it was comfortable and it was 0 effort since there was a dry cleaner inside my office building. and nobody cared how it fit anyway

buy complete poo poo at the lowest possible price, wear it and give no fucks

it was great, in a way

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you could also work someplace where the people above you really don’t give a poo poo

I know it’s impossible for you to conceive but it’s most definitely the case at some places

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

did you pay a thousand bucks for a backpack lul

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's the joke. they wear designer jeans and judge the fools who don't.

i, too, spend most of my days staring at my colleagues' butts to check thje labels

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

carry on then posted:

fun story my dad once told me: a friend of his got hired by ibm back in the old days. about a week in, his colleagues sat him down and very sternly warned him that by acting so 'flamboyant' he was making the whole team look bad. he was wearing a light blue dress shirt.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NihilCredo posted:

fun story my dad once told me: a friend of his got hired by ibm back in the old days. about a week in, his colleagues sat him down and very sternly warned him that by acting so 'flamboyant' he was making the whole team look bad. he was wearing a light blue dress shirt.

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NihilCredo posted:

i had a friend who worked at texas instruments who got similarly called out last year for wearing iirc dark blue instead of black dress pants?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

sadus posted:

exactly why even bother with clothes, just work from home and save that $$

if youre dumb enough to have kids (like i was) going to the office is pretty much a vacation

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

tef you forgot "the configuration syntax for the sound on linux that never works"

lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

you could also work someplace where the people above you really don’t give a poo poo

I know it’s impossible for you to conceive but it’s most definitely the case at some places

even people who openly state they don't give a poo poo often do, even if they are unaware of it. pack mentality is hard to fuckin break, man, it's kind of a fundamental human thing to do

we are essentially monkeys with very highly developed sweat glands

edit: I guess, given the monkey thing, I should be glad that tribal "belonging" is marked by something as silly as clothing, instead of compulsively loving each other and picking bugs out of fur. the clothing thing sucks but it could be worse!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

i, too, spend most of my days staring at my colleagues' butts to check thje labels

they will judge you by the fit

(presumably no one can see the label under a belt)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

brap posted:

did you pay a thousand bucks for a backpack lul

it's a really nice backpack

and a thousand dollars isn't an unreasonable amount to spend on a quality bag

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I should be glad that tribal "belonging" is marked by something as silly as clothing, instead of compulsively loving each other and

clearly u aren't a sales bro lmao

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they will judge you by the fit

... so it’s actually nothing to do with designer branding, and everything to do with buying a size and style that is appropriate to your body, aka comfortable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

... so it’s actually nothing to do with designer branding, and everything to do with buying a size and style that is appropriate to your body, aka comfortable

depends. here in latvia, minimal monthly salary is 500 before tax. no name brand fitted suit is 800.

shoes? cheap if you have baby foot size like 44 or whatever. had i have a need for a matching pair of basic oxfords at 48ee? that’s another 500 custom job, these things physically do not exist within at least an hour worth of airfare

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

edit: I guess, given the monkey thing, I should be glad that tribal "belonging" is marked by something as silly as clothing, instead of compulsively loving each other and picking bugs out of fur. the clothing thing sucks but it could be worse!

something tells me you'd actually be pretty okay with nit-picking as a form of showing group membership :-)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a really nice backpack

and a thousand dollars isn't an unreasonable amount to spend on a quality bag

work paid for almost half of it too hehh

but yeah unsuprisingly it's really nicely made but yeah i spent $$$ on something that looks really nice and people continue to compliment me on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
*starts jacking off to a generic whisky in a fancy box* ah yes