Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Shouldn't it be snowing at -1º?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jobson groeth posted:

Shouldn't it be snowing at -1º?

If it's Celsius, no.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We took our baby trick or treating because the whole neighborhood (mostly old people) practically begged us to, people like seeing babies dressed up in cute little costumes and will happily give candy to the parents I guess as like payment for seeing the cute dressed-up baby? Seems fine to me, you'd have to have brain worms or something to get mad over that

e: vvv that's what I thought but tons of people do it, people just love babies in costumes. It's fine

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^^^
Glad everyone had fun! I would also pay a baby tax, I guess.

Haifisch posted:

There's also "daddict". It's somehow even sadder than if they just called parents 'sheeple'.

Actual angry Halloween post from /r/childfree:

Parents bringing babies trick or treating.

Maybe I'm broken, but that's too young. By all means, get them a cute little outfit and take pictures, but going door to door collecting candy?

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 1, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If an adult carrying a baby dressed as a pumpkin knocked on my door and said trick or treat I'd definitely be :wtc:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

our baby was really into just squishing any candy given to him which seems like a reasonable way for them to interact with candy, it gets all gooey and squishy inside the wrapper but they're not strong enough to actually open it so it's great, everyone has fun

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^^^
Was not accusing you of this.

I think it works if it's a neighborhood baby, but don't drive to the rich part of town trying to get the real loot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
t.o.ting w/ a baby is fine wtf. it lets people meet your baby. it socializes your baby.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Beachcomber posted:

^^^^^
Was not accusing you of this.

I think it works if it's a neighborhood baby, but don't drive to the rich part of town trying to get the real loot.

We had a bunch of little ones this year. We are part of the Teal Pumpkin Project, so that may be why. Caravans of cars full of kids pulled up. Hell, we even had little disabled kids come by. I scared a few, which I didn't intend--we go for pirate spooky rather than jump scares terror. They thought I was part of the display until I moved.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Pick posted:

t.o.ting w/ a baby is fine wtf. it lets people meet your baby. it socializes your baby.

Children need to be trained early if you want them to be good humans.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If it's Celsius, no.

Water freezes at 0ºC or does it not count as snow when it's half frozen or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jobson groeth posted:

Water freezes at 0ºC or does it not count as snow when it's half frozen or something?

Short version, weather doesn't work that way. It takes about -10 for reliable snow to fall.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I had a total of 6 trick or treaters this year, so if someone wants to bring a baby by they can have 64 parcels of pretzels, snickers, and nerds.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Interesting one this morning instead of all the boring 20 something nonsense that’s written weirdly:

I [28/F] recently made a great new friend. The problem is that he [26/M] has spent his life living under a rock (strict Jehovah's witness until a year ago), and now he just agrees with everything I say and I feel like I'm the ONLY influence on him. I feel like I'm brainwashing him all over again.

quote:

u/friendispatrickstar
I recently met a guy at a party that I instantly hit it off with. My friend had tried to set us up, and while we immediately clicked, neither of us "felt any spark" so to say, but since that night we have become very close friends. We talk to each other every day. Well within the first few times we hung out I could tell something seemed a little off with him. He was very personable and likeable, but he just seemed very strange (I don't mean that in a bad way, I think he's awesome, he is just *very* different from anyone I've ever met.)

Anyway, we were hanging out one night and I joined a game of HQ trivia on my phone and told him to sit by me and help me answer questions. Well if you've never played the game, it's a "live trivia" app that has 12 questions that start incredible easy and get increasingly harder. Generally, the first 3 questions are stupid easy. Well the first question was (and this is EXACT, I wrote it down in my journal that night because it was so silly to me!):

Q: Who was the 2nd President of the United States?

A1: John Cena

A2: John Adams

A3: John Stamos

He picked John Stamos! I laughed bc I thought he was kidding and he said something along the lines of "I am not smart, I don't know s*** about anything." So after some probing he tells me that he grew up in an incredibly strict Jehovah's Witness household. His dad was somebody special in the cult/church, and he attended a home school program with a bunch of other JW kids taught by "some ditzy lady for the most part." He barely knows basic math. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm bragging, but just to give the whole picture, I'm an engineer who had a full-ride scholarship all the way through university. I'm certainly no genius, but I know some stuff haha.

It turns out he seriously doesn't know anything about anything. I am NOT saying this as a cutdown, or making fun of him. I know it's not his fault, and he seemed very ashamed of it. I told him it wasn't a big deal, that I'm not Einstein either and we laughed it off.

Well since then (4 months ago), he basically copies everything I do. He likes everything I like. He agrees with my opinions on everything, even though I encourage him to check out things on his own as well and make his own decisions. He told me he can't make decisions for himself. It's really sad!

I have HEAVILY encouraged him to find a therapist (He knows I have one I see weekly!). His anxiety is so bad he straight up refuses. His anxiety is so bad, I'm one of his only friends and thus the ONLY influence on his life. He goes to work, he plays Animal Crossing, and he goes to sleep. Sometimes he comes to my house. That is literally ALL he does. And he is SO likeable and sociable, and if it helps, good looking! He could have tons of friends, but his social anxiety won't allow it.

I feel like I'm brainwashing him just as bad as the JWs did. He likes all the tv shows I like. He likes all of the music I like. He now shares every political opinion I have (this is the one that makes me feel guilty). I am starting to feel more like his "teacher" than his friend, and I feel weird and guilty about it. What should I do in this situation? I want to help my friend, but honestly he needs a therapist and a teacher. I'm just not sure how to be his close friend and not brainwash him. Any insight and advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

TL;DR: Friend basically raised in cult (or in my opinion, WAS raised in a cult), and recently left. Now he is relying on me for information about EVERYTHING! I feel more like his teacher than his friend, and I feel like I am brainwashing him as bad as the cult did.

Also it does sound a little bit like you’re bragging.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Short version, weather doesn't work that way. It takes about -10 for reliable snow to fall.

Kind of cool to know. It's not something that really matters here as it's easier / quicker for me to leave the continent to see snow than it is to find it here.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Am I crazy? Fiance [26/F] believes that calling a man "hot" to his face is not considered flirting. I [27/M] think it oversteps the line.

quote:

u/throwaway3807654
Hey all, I'll make it quick. My fiance and I have a normally great relationship, together four years. I wouldn't ever take her as overly flirtatious with other men. Though she has a bubbly personality that can be misinterpreted as flirty. She's been hit on many times at her last job, but since she wasn't flirting back I never minded, just horny dumb guys.

However we just got into an argument. I don't know what brought it up, but she was talking about a guy at her new work and their conversation, she told him he was hot. Obviously I was taken aback and said that type of language makes me uncomfortable and is over the line. I asked why she would do that. She told me that she can tell men that they are "hot" and that it doesn't count as flirting, it counts as complimenting. She said that if she had touched him and moved her eyes down his body then it would have been considered flirting.

I feel like this oversteps boundaries and is way across the line. Am I loving crazy? If you're going to call somebody "hot" isn't that more than simply a compliment? I've been having a weird feeling in my gut for a while so this kinda doesn't help that feeling. Should I be worried?

tl;dr: Fiance says calling men "hot" to their face isn't flirting or overstepping boundaries. I think otherwise.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Milotic posted:

Am I crazy? Fiance [26/F] believes that calling a man "hot" to his face is not considered flirting. I [27/M] think it oversteps the line.

lol

Beachcomber posted:

I had a total of 6 trick or treaters this year, so if someone wants to bring a baby by they can have 64 parcels of pretzels, snickers, and nerds.

we got enough nerds here, they all outed themselves in the last D&D derail

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
My [27F] fiancé [34M] is $24,000 more in debt than he originally told me.

quote:

u/30kindebt-throwaway
We have been together three years, engaged for six months. The wedding is next year.

I always thought he was very financially responsible, he owns our home, he paid off his car not long after we met, then finished paying his student loans a few months after that. About six months into our relationship he confided that he had six thousand dollars in credit card debt that he was mildly worried about but was paying down. I didn't think much of it as it didn't seem particularly high to me, I will admit I had a somewhat warped view of money at that time. It's been nearly 3 years since then, we have gone on several vacations, dealt with some emergency vet services that cost an arm and a leg, and it turns out he put my engagement ring on credit as well. He has now provided me with full access to statements and online accounts so I can see where the money has been going and it's not entirely frivolous or reckless spending, it's just...negligence in the sense that he hasn't been keeping track of it. He's apparently had automatic payments set to the minimum amount and hasn't been paying attention to the increasing balances. So now we're looking at about $30,000 spread across three cards and only one of them has a 0% interest rate. I've drafted a budget and based on our incomes I believe we can reasonably pay this off within two years without changing our lifestyles *too* too much.

What I am now struggling with is the sheer immaturity and irresponsibility with which he has handled this situation. When I think back to all the expensive dinners I offered to pay for but he insisted -- I know he likes feeling like Big Man Provider -- or the trips we went on that I was hesitant about because I wasn't sure if we could afford it, and he always assured me everything was fine. I had no reason to doubt him. And now I feel blindsided - this morning I did not realize I was saddling myself with $30,000 of debt. I bought flights for a trip to Kenya three days ago and he encouraged me to go on the trip and shared in my excitement when I got a good deal on the flights. Now I think, how could he let me do that? Granted, our finances are still separate right now so it was my own purchase on my own credit card and the cost of the trip doesn't add to the debt figure I am quoting here....but if I had known about this debt, I never would have started planning a trip to Africa. I just don't understand.

I know he feels great shame about this already and is extremely stressed out about it so I don't want to rub salt into an already open wound, and I do tend to be rather confrontational. When I get heated I start to scold instead of discussing things in a positive manner. I'm trying to change the way I communicate when I'm upset, so...

TL;DR: How do I talk to him about the importance of transparency and honesty when it comes to financial matters, or really, in fact, all things in a marriage, without making it seem like I am kicking him when he is already down?

quote:

I suppose why I am not more upset about the spending itself is because I see how selfless it all was. It was thousands of dollars in vet bills to save our new dog after she jumped the fence and was hit by a car. It was expensive gifts for me and trips *I* wanted to go on, and he always insisted on staying in nice places and eating at swanky restaurants. Birthdays, Valentine's Day, Christmas, anniversaries... he always goes ALL out. He'll bring me flowers but not just a simple arrangement from the local shop, it'll be a massive, spectacular display. We've had conversations before where he has admitted that he tries too hard to impress me, which I've told him is silly because he never needed to try to begin with...and now all his selflessness and generosity has landed us in this situation. He didn't know when to stop, and it seems he didn't (perhaps still doesn't) know how to say no to me whenever I suggested we do something...and since I didn't know about the debt, and he never let on about being worried about money except for that one brief conversation three years ago..... honestly, I feel partially responsible. It wasn't my doing but it was all for my benefit.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[Shocking] My GF sisters boyfriend has a crush on her

quote:

I’m [25/M]. I started dating this girl [22/F], it’s only been 3-4 months, but ALOT has happened since then.

She has a sister [18/F] and her sister has a boyfriend [21/M] who have been together for 6 months. When I first met her sister and her sister bf, I thought they were cool, we always hung out and even lived together in one room at one point. My gf and her sisters boyfriend got along pretty well, but sometimes I think it was too much.

Little by little I started noticing something weird about her sisters boyfriend. In the beginning I felt that he was too friendly with my gf, like too close but I always thought “maybe I’m trippin, that’s just how they are, it’s nothing” and left it alone.

Then more weird poo poo happened. Like one night, all 4 of us went out to a bar, he grabbed my gf and started to dance. Nothing wrong with that, but what was weird to me was the way he then started to grab her and dance with her like it was a back in the day basement party. It was weird to me bc she tells me that they’re like a brother and sister. Brothers and sisters don’t dance that way. I ignored that situation and kept it moving.

Another time we went out again and right before going in the bar, he decided he wanted to take some pictures. So he gives my gf sister his phone and tells her to take a picture of them. They switch and my gf takes a pic of them two. The weird part was that if you were to compare both pics side by side and I asked you, which one of these two is he in a relationship with, you would pick the one he took with my gf. A picture says a thousand words. While my gf was just taking a picture just to take it, the way he grabbed her and looked at her was basically how me, as her boyfriend would grab her and look at her. She posted that pic but deleted it after I said it was weird and people kept asking her “who’s the lucky guy” . At this moment I was 80% sure that this kid had something for my gf.

As time went on and my gf and I got real serious, his behavior towards me started to change. Every time i would Hug and kiss my gf or show her any affection, I’d feel the hate in his eyes. He’d mention to my gf how things are different now, how she chose me over her “family” (him and her sister). He would make plans to go out to eat but he would make it clear that he just wants them 3 to go. When my gf would say no, he’d get angry.

It got to the point where one night my gf sister and her sister bf came over. Everything was all good. I wasn’t there yet but when I arrived, she mentioned he was being weird towards me. It was like that the rest of the night.

When they left, I finally decided to have that talk with my girlfriend. We had a long talk about that situation and other things. At first she didn’t see things that way I seen them but started to put two and two together. She didn’t want to accept the possibility that her sisters boyfriend could want her. She was not convinced But agreed that she might have unknowingly condoned his actions and that she’ll be a little less friendly.

At this time it was 10am, we still hadn’t slept. Her phone made the notification noise. I looked over at the phone which was next to me, and it read: “Lets gently caress”

At this moment, we’re both in shock. I grabbed the phone and showed her the DM.

It was from her sisters boyfriend.

Her: “maybe that’s them playing around” Me: “you don’t play around like that”

Her: “it could have been my sister writing that” Me: “okay then, if that’s what you think, let’s call. If you’re sister picks up, we pay attention to how she sounds. If she sounds like she’s just waking up, it wasn’t her playing games. But if he picks up, you go along with it, to see how far he’ll go.” Her: “okay”

My GF calls, Her sister answers, in a groggy voice. Like she had just woken up.

GF: “hey what are you doing?” Sister: “I was sleeping what’s up” GF: “Where’s your BF?” Sister: “he’s laying next to me” GF: “look at what he just sent me” Her sister hangs up.

We call back 15 mins later to give them a chance to talk.

When We call back, gf sister answers. In the background, we can hear that they were arguing. A few seconds later, she hangs up and we don’t hear from her again for the rest of the day.

A few days later, they explain that his page got hacked and it was one of his exes that had wrote that. Idk how he managed to make his girlfriend believe that but it must have been tough. My gf believed him, but still had her doubts. I in the other hand, don’t believe it for various reasons.

My gf and I spoke about it things and she said that she’ll keep her distance. Either way I let it go and decided to move on. He would continue to come around but it wasn’t the same.

Few days went by.

Yesterday, I call her to talk and see how her day is going. She picks up, crying. She says she’s at her sisters house. Her sister was being taken by ambulance to the hospital because she couldn’t breathe. I tell her to call me back asap.

Time went by and I call to see what’s going on. She picks up, i ask her what happened. She says she’s home, her sister is doing fine, she’s at the hospital with her parents.

Me: “how come you aren’t at the hospital with her also?” Her: “they wouldn’t let us in the room, only my mom and dad, and I was hungry so we left. Me: “who are you with?” Her: “My sisters boyfriend, I told him to come instead of waiting there. “

At this moment, I am bothered and disappointed. After all that we’ve been through, You’re alone, in a house, with someone that you know I don’t feel comfortable with. That’s what I wanted to say, but did not say it bc I was on speaker.

So we continue to talk while she starts to cook. There comes a point where her phone dies. I give her 8-10mins to call me back. (Takes 2-3mins for her phone to turn on). She doesn’t call, so I call her. No answer. I wait 5 more mins and call again, no answer. I wait longer than 5mins this time and call. She picks up and says her phone died.

Me: “how come you didn’t call back after it died?” (She usually does right away) Her: “I was on the phone with my sister, she’s ready to leave the hospital, now we have to find my parents and her a ride” Me: “oh”

Her sisters boyfriend finds a ride and leaves to pick them up from the hospital. My girlfriend stays and we continue to talk until she goes to shower.

She calls back and her sister is there along with her boyfriend. We talk about the situation, and I patiently wait for them to leave so I can talk to my gf about how I felt bothered that she was there alone with him.

When they finally leave, I express myself to her and tell her how I felt. From that point forward, a 4 hour argument commences.

She says that I have no right to feel the way I felt. That’s her “brother in law”. And that there was nothing at all wrong with him being alone with her.

I tell her, that I do have the right to feel bothered. It might be your brother in law but things changed when you received that text message from him. I feel disappointed bc you said you would keep your distance. Being alone in a house with him is not keeping your distance.

I’d like to know what you guys think. Am I overreacting? Or do i have a point.

Am I the only one that thinks it’s weird? What would you do in my shoes?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
fuckin' lmao

[Nsfw] Is my[26f] husband [29m] being unfair?

quote:

Tl,dr:Is my husband being unfair by wanting a three some with me and another women but saying that is totally unaceptable to have one with another male?

We have been married for 3 years and he has mentioned a lot of times that he would like to have a three some with another female, which is something I totally disagree with. I said, as a way to make him forget that, that I will accept if he accepts that we do it first with another men but he claims that it is not the same . that it is normal and acceptable for him to have sex with other women but is totally out of question the part of me being with another man.

Is he being reasonable?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

It's funny because you'd think someone teaching economics would understand that private entities will absolutely take advantage of every chance they can to profit at anyone and everyone else's expense and yet the textbooks are all written like the guiding hand of capitalism works out best for everyone involved.

"But if they raid the candy bucket now, there won't be anymore candy, logical entities would never behave like this even if it meant a short term gain"

Nah the professor is a genius. They are illustrating that the cops true purpose is protecting capitalists

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 1, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Judge threw out prenup and is requiring me to pay alimony [Texas]

quote:

I am very angry with my lawyer and the judge right now and I want to know how to fix this.

My ex wife and I signed a prenup when we got married. It stipulated that if we divorced, my ex would forfeit the right to alimony, child support, and 30% of the marital property (leaving her with 20% for a 50-50 split, still plenty to live on). This is because I entered the marriage with considerably more money and made a considerably higher salary (I am in a white collar position, she is a teacher).

I thought dividing assets for the divorce would be fairly cut and dry due to the prenup, but she got a lawyer, so I got one too. Her lawyer argued that the prenup, which we BOTH signed, was unfair and illegal. The judge threw it out after my lawyer barely argued for it. He completely dropped the ball and basically just rolled over and took it.

The judge awarded her 50% of everything except the assets I had prior to divorce, PLUS child support, PLUS alimony. It's like the prenup, a document we BOTH signed and agreed to, was completely ignored. I don't even understand what the point was since the prenup was supposed to protect me and the money I have worked hard to earn.

I would like to know what legal recourse I have against my lawyer and the judge, since they completely disregarded the contract that my ex and I agreed on prior to marriage. I would not have gotten married had I known that such document that were intended to protect me just meant nothing. Can I sue my ex for the extra property based on what the prenup said? Can I go after my lawyer or the judge or at least report them somewhere?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Lone Badger posted:

I wonder why she divorced him, he seems so nice.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Bluntly unfair contracts are illegal and the prenup should've been drafted by a lawyer, not just written in crayon on the back of a napkin by this loving brain genius

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

The Lone Badger posted:

Why even bother getting married if are going to start out planing on failure? The whole point of marriage is you merging your life and resources with someone else, legally. They could have stayed common law and lived together. Of course, being white collar he had to show off, and what would the neighbors think if they weren't married!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Shnag posted:

Why even bother getting married if are going to start out planing on failure? The whole point of marriage is you merging your life and resources with someone else, legally. They could have stayed common law and lived together. Of course, being white collar he had to show off, and what would the neighbors think if they weren't married!

Because God will curse you and all your generations if you cohabitate, duh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

but think of all the money he saved by not hiring a lawyer to look it over

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

Bluntly unfair contracts are illegal and the prenup should've been drafted by a lawyer, not just written in crayon on the back of a napkin by this loving brain genius

I'm fairly sure you can't even forfeit the right to child support as a spouse, right? It's for the child, not you, it's not actually within your right to waive it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

I wonder if had the dumb OP (and it is confirmed in comments he was the one who wrote it himself) had not included child support in there if he could have gotten away with it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

I'm fairly sure you can't even forfeit the right to child support as a spouse, right? It's for the child, not you, it's not actually within your right to waive it.

IANAL but I thought it was p common knowledge you explicitly couldn't do that with a prenup.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's hilarious. "PLUS Prenup!" Because paying to raise the children you voluntarily sired is such a burden. And oh yea that's right, your wife-to-be had any legal leverage to insist that the yet-conceived children are to not receive an upbringing.

Nevermind that two lawyers and a judge all just agreed that the paper has no legal merit, let's go strait back into that very same legal system to demand that it does!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I mean the best possible outcome is the guy blows thousands of dollars on dumbshit legal advice that gets him nothing but further financial loss tbh. Smdh if Redditors aren't encouraging him to go further down this rabbit hole of dipshittery.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

I wonder if had the dumb OP (and it is confirmed in comments he was the one who wrote it himself) had not included child support in there if he could have gotten away with it.

No. You absolutely can't include child support in a prenup, but the basic issue with this is that it's an unfair and unenforceable contract. Libertarian retards that don't understand the nature of coercion can't really get this part, but the nature of inherent duress and lack of knowledge means that many contracts are (and absolutely should be) invalid despite the person signing their name to it.

A contract that says you must pay 100,000,000 dollars if you divorce me will get tossed in the loving trash, signed or not.

e: Tangential, but this is also the issue with those dumbshit "consent contracts" that originally were just from dumb assholes making fun of the concept of affirmative consent but I think have actually gained traction among dumber libertarians; it's a completely unenforceable and worthless contract that a judge will dump into the trash if any accusation actually comes up.

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 1, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also I thought alimony was p rare in 2018, I'm surprised it was awarded when it does sound like the ex wife has a full time reasonable job.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Prenups only really make sense if you have some massive estate or something tied to inheritance that you don't want considered in your marriage arrangement.

Otherwise just, you know, don't get married.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

Also I thought alimony was p rare in 2018, I'm surprised it was awarded when it does sound like the ex wife has a full time reasonable job.

It depends on the state, but alimony can be awarded in a situation where there's a large income discrepancy, which there seems to be here.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Trying to weasel your way out of child support makes you a piece of poo poo, but the fact he brags how rich he is really takes how disgusting he is to a whole new level. His freaking child that he brought into the world, and he is doing all he can to tell the kid to go gently caress themselves, all while having more then enough resources to help them. How can you in the same breath look down on your SO about how much they make, and also expect them to foot the bill for your child? Why even have a child if you have a literal plan you wrote your self in which you would gently caress them over?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Shnag posted:

Trying to weasel your way out of child support makes you a piece of poo poo, but the fact he brags how rich he is really takes how disgusting he is to a whole new level. His freaking child that he brought into the world, and he is doing all he can to tell the kid to go gently caress themselves, all while having more then enough resources to help them. How can you in the same breath look down on your SO about how much they make, and also expect them to foot the bill for your child? Why even have a child if you have a literal plan you wrote your self in which you would gently caress them over?

The simple answer is that he's garbage. The more complex answer is that he only really cares about reproduction in the abstract. He wants kids because he's desperate to be manly despite being an overweight dude with a white collar job, men have kids, etc. He couldn't give less of a gently caress about what actually happens to the things.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah absolutely can't say no child support in a pre nup lol.

In FL alimony is a thing depending on the length of the marriage. A long term marriage has a presumption of permanent alimony. It's been a long time since I worked as a divorce lawyer but lol do I remember some dudes getting mad about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah absolutely can't say no child support in a pre nup lol.

Seeing as the child support bit is absurdly invalid does that toss the whole agreement out if there's no severability clause?