Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
"Thousands of videos filmed by attendees at heavy metal
concerts [8] highlight a collective phenomenon consisting
of 101–102 participants commonly referred to as a mosh
pit. In traditional mosh pits, the participants (moshers)
move randomly, colliding with one another in an undirected
fashion (Fig. 2(a); see Supplemental Material for
video metadata [9]). Mosh pits can form spontaneously
or at the suggestion of the performing band, but in both
cases, no micromanagement of individual actions is generally
involved. Qualitatively, this phenomenon resembles
the kinetics of gaseous particles, even though moshers
are self-propelled agents that experience dissipative
collisions and exist at a much higher density than most
gaseous systems. To explore this analogy quantitatively,
we watched over 102 videos containing footage of mosh
pits on YouTube.com, obtained six that were filmed from a
suitably high position to provide a clear view of the crowd,
corrected for perspective distortions [10] as well as camera
instability, and used particle image velocimetry (PIV)
analysis [11] to measure the two-dimensional (2D) velocity
field on an interpolated grid [Fig. 2(b)]."

Silverberg, J.L., Bierbaum, M., Sethna, J.P., & Cohen, I. Collective Motion of Humans in Mosh and Circle Pits at Heavy Metal Concerts. Physical Review Letters PRL 110, 228701. 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

"Thousands of videos filmed by attendees at heavy metal
concerts [8] highlight a collective phenomenon consisting
of 101–102 participants commonly referred to as a mosh
pit. In traditional mosh pits, the participants (moshers)
move randomly, colliding with one another in an undirected
fashion (Fig. 2(a); see Supplemental Material for
video metadata [9]). Mosh pits can form spontaneously
or at the suggestion of the performing band, but in both
cases, no micromanagement of individual actions is generally
involved. Qualitatively, this phenomenon resembles
gaseous systems. To explore this analogy quantitatively,
we watched over 102 videos containing footage of mosh
pits on YouTube.com, obtained six that were filmed from a
suitably high position to provide a clear view of the crowd,
corrected for perspective distortions [10] as well as camera
instability, and used particle image velocimetry (PIV)
analysis [11] to measure the two-dimensional (2D) velocity
field on an interpolated grid [Fig. 2(b)]."

Silverberg, J.L., Bierbaum, M., Sethna, J.P., & Cohen, I. Collective Motion of Humans in Mosh and Circle Pits at Heavy Metal Concerts. Physical Review Letters PRL 110, 228701. 2013

lmao

e: oh you fixed the "101-102 participants" and "over 102 videos" thing. still super good

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Well this is my favorite image ever, now:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Loving the vector field figure.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Metal Thread #110228701 - 10² videos containing footage of mosh pits on YouTube.com

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
MetalThread 101-102 We used PIV analysis

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Good chance I'm seeing Arsis this weekend. Ten bands on the bill, so I'm hoping for a decent spread between good and terrible.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Minto Took posted:

Good chance I'm seeing Arsis this weekend. Ten bands on the bill, so I'm hoping for a decent spread between good and terrible.

That's between 5 and 7 too many bands

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Minto Took posted:

about to go see them tonight. actually extremely hyped for visitant, the singles have been excellent so far

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Qualitatively, this phenomenon resembles
gaseous systems.

I'm the loving nerd that made this observation to every science teacher I had from middle school on.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Metal Thread - Higher Density than Most Gaseous Systems

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
The new Arsis album leaked and it's the first one I've really liked since A Celebration of Guilt, all the albums after that one were disappointing to me, but this one slays again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnm8hHyLoLc

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

More like Arse-is

(disclaimers: I didn't listen to this song; I have never listened to Arsis; I never will; do what thou wilt)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Behemoth tonight. :black101:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Well, I guess I will do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoYIBEZEfw

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Minto Took posted:

James Malone from Arsis has street cred. He's one of the few metal heads I've seen wearing both a Morbid Angel and a Sisters of Mercy shirt before. Two important worlds combined for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I saw this thread's favorite band, Ghost, on Tuesday night. T'was an enjoyable time.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
never heard of 'em, must be some real underground poo poo

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
less dumb poo poo, more death metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nl_L_DCxhg

e: something a little different too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCYm_DL9vM

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 1, 2018

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i'm 34. I turned 14 in 1998. I had Pantera and Slipknot stickers on my rear windshield. I will never fully escape nu metal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i'm 34. I turned 14 in 1998. I had Pantera and Slipknot stickers on my rear windshield. I will never fully escape nu metal.

Truly the worst years to be a teenager.

I was 21 in 1998 so my "formative years" bands were Nirvana, Megadeth, and White Zombie. In some ways I got lucky. In others unlucky because the one band of those three that is still active is horrible at it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can’t hate on Slipknot at all, it just feels wrong considering how important they were to me when that self titled album got into my hands when I was 9 or 10.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can’t hate on Slipknot at all, it just feels wrong considering how important they were to me when that self titled album got into my hands when I was 9 or 10.

yep, i still remember the day Iowa released, i went and bought it from best buy, put it in my car, and the into played and i was like "oh god no" and literally as i pulled out of the lot the riff to people = poo poo started and i had this giant smile on my face the rest of the day.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I was all hype on that 90's nu metal poo poo and anything closely related but I never got into Slipknot. Not then and not now, seen them a couple of times but they just don't do anything to me. I like Wait and Bleed sort of tho

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Being older means I’ll probably die sooner but at least I was old enough to hate nu metal from the beginning :rip:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm so glad I connected more with skatepunk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Slipknot is a band I don't care for but appreciate in some ways because they were a gateway band who were gracious enough to acknowledge their influences publicly and frequently. They also appealed to some really hosed up kids who in a way that might seem shallow to us, but meant the world to a 15 year old somewhere who probably got called "fag" as often as he did his actual name. Maybe once he felt like he belonged, once he found other Slipknot fans. Same reason I can't totally hate juggalos, the source material seems crap to me, but it has probably stopped a few good but confused people from committing suicide. Every generation has stuff like this, you can either get with it or don't, but being the guy who loudly has to let others know your disdain for it doesn't make you a tastemaker par excellence, it makes you an rear end in a top hat.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 1, 2018

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah, I can't hate nu-metal because Limp Bizkit and Korn were my gateway to metal and then my buddy loaned me the black album in high school and I was hooked. Plus metal in general has meant a lot to kids who didn't feel like they belonged anywhere else and that is extremely important for anyone, but especially for a teenage kid who doesn't feel like he matters to anyone else. You matter to your metal brothers and sisters, you have a community that understands what it's like to feel like an outcast. It sounds corny, but metal changed my life for the better.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah, I can't hate nu-metal because Limp Bizkit and Korn were my gateway to metal and then my buddy loaned me the black album in high school and I was hooked. Plus metal in general has meant a lot to kids who didn't feel like they belonged anywhere else and that is extremely important for anyone, but especially for a teenage kid who doesn't feel like he matters to anyone else. You matter to your metal brothers and sisters, you have a community that understands what it's like to feel like an outcast. It sounds corny, but metal changed my life for the better.

Same 100% and honestly even at 28 it’s just as important to me in a certain way.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Follow The LeadeR was a critical album of my teenage years and one of my best friends had a Slipknot jumpsuit. I never dyed my hair back then and kinda regret it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I was cool in school and hosed and also didnt like nu-metal so there

my gateway was Avenged Sevenfold's WTF after being in to Maiden and Metallica, so I was in fact not cool

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 1, 2018

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Say what you will about black metal stage names, but when you dub yourselves with names like Synyster Gates, Zacky Vengeance, or Johnny loving Christ, your band sucks.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that first slipknot demo was interesting in a "what if mr bungle were a bunch of midwestern dullards with no talent" kind of way

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

MateFeedKillRepeat was a product of it's environment.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was 16 in 1998 and I grew up on a healthy diet of Nirvana, White Zombie, Metallica and Alice in Chains. I missed the Slipknot bus (I like a couple of their songs) but I was totally into Korn, the Deftones and I even listened to a Limp Bizkit song or two. Oh and I would drive around blaring Kid Rock as loud as I could. :(

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Around The Fur is a stone cold classic.

Related: listening to Astro-Creep 2000 right now.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Chongo Mondongo and his Deaf Tonies are extremely good, ya

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Minto Took posted:

Holds up way better than it should

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Minto Took posted:

MateFeedKillRepeat was a product of it's environment.

I just watched sergeant D aka PunkRockMBA do a breakdown of how slipknot got so big and a lot of it was incredibly smart marketing on their part and their target audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Minto Took posted:

Around The Fur is a stone cold classic.

Everything up to and including White Pony is good, don't get me wrong. And White Zombie is great, though Rob Zombie has always been kind of hit or miss for me. In retrospect, Astrocreep is pretty brutally heavy for something that saw regular airplay.