Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hellblazer187 posted:

He said not a huge difference, he didn't say no meaningful difference. Huge is a vague term, but overall he's right that the party has moved left and moved closer together. The most conservative candidate for 2020 is farther left than any other candidate in the last 40 years besides Sanders in 2016.

Yeah. The distinction being drawn, before he responded, was not so much one of policy differences as it was one of rhetorical approach. There's a really clear division in the party right now between people who are making pitches to voters -- Sanders, AOC -- and people making pitches to, well, it sounds like other lobbyists (Booker, Harris). They may all be aiming at similar policy goals but the approaches they're using are very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

He said not a huge difference, he didn't say no meaningful difference. Huge is a vague term, but overall he's right that the party has moved left and moved closer together. The most conservative candidate for 2020 is farther left than any other candidate in the last 40 years besides Sanders in 2016.

He referred to any distinguishing features of the candidates as

Let's follow that link. The only one that isn't a spurious analogy with ethnic strife is:

Wikipedia posted:

In terms of postmodernity, Clive Hazell argues that consumer culture has been seen as predicated on the narcissism of small differences to achieve a superficial sense of one's own uniqueness, an ersatz sense of otherness which is only a mask for an underlying uniformity and sameness.

The differences between the candidates are superficial and ersatz which are only a mask for underlying uniformity and sameness, that was the claim.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Have some wonky skewering of Kamala's LIFT proposal

https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1058030074736336897

lol, this guy is an idiot. Anyone who acts like being fully paid-for is some prerequisite for spending like this doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. The cost of programs is a consideration, and needs to be offset enough to avoid any inflation that could outweigh their benefits, but there is no need to offset every dollar spent.

This Vox article does a better job of articulating the proposal's actual shortcomings, in my opinion (the "must be working" one seems to be the biggest issue, if I'm understanding it correctly) - https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2018/10/19/17995374/kamala-harris-lift-act-basic-income-cash-eitc

edit: Like the Vox article puts it, it is frustratingly close to actually being pretty good

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're a bunch of poli-sci "wonks" trying to wonk up a frankenwonk in a wonkery instead of just asking actual people what they actually want then promising to give it to them

It seems like a lot "wonkery" fundamentally stems from the axiom that government spending must be off-set (because it basically inserts this unnecessary layer of complexity where you must generate revenue equal to any large spending).

Hellblazer187 posted:

LT2012 is a troll about 1/4 of the time. This is not one of those times. Do you really think the difference between Biden and Sanders is wider than the difference between Lieberman and Dean?

In terms of "the net impact on people of the things they support," of course it's wider. Especially when you consider the broader ideological alignment and long-term goals of the politicians in question (in other words, where will Sanders go if he manages to achieve MfA or whatever, and how reliable will he be as an advocate for it).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Or if we are using the 2004 example, Lieberman and Dennis Kucinich.

The huge difference here is that Bernie Sanders is actually a series contender in 2020, while Kucinich never was.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 1, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WampaLord posted:

That was not the claim, the claim was that there was "not a huge difference between the potential candidates"

Look at the post you were quoting and read the actual context.

Joe Lieberman and Dennis Kucinich have huge differences. Debating whether the Iraq War was a great idea or whether we should end all foreign interventions, close down all military bases, and create a Department of Peace are hugely different positions.

Booker, Bernie, Harris, Gillibrand, Biden, and Warren all support a $15 minimum wage. Some of them think we should start at $12 and phase it in over 5 years. Some of them think we should phase it in over 3 years. Some of them think we should phase it in over 7 years. Those are not hugely different positions.

It's the same scenario with almost all of the big issues: Judges, regulations, abortion, climate change, gay rights, marijuana, the drug war, guns, trade, immigration, the environment, etc. They are all on same page. The only significant differences are differences of degrees.

The biggest difference is that every potential candidate except for Biden (so far) has endorsed Medicare for All and Biden has only said that the government should provide healthcare for everyone by expanding Medicaid and Medicare.

It's like the Obama/Clinton healthcare debate in 2008. They had literally the same plan, except Obama said he wouldn't have a mandate, and they just argued over that for 5 months.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 1, 2018

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I feel like many older and middle-aged voters worn down by life and age (and years of propaganda about Reaganomics and St. Milton Friedman) would definitely feel more enthused about concepts like "Medicare for All" when there seems to be a concrete or close-to-concrete plan to implement it.

Maybe it's Dems letting conservatives frame the issue as a distraction from the moral imperative to have a society where people don't die from lack of health care, but I do see some value is being able to say a proposal is not just "pie in the sky" promises that will come with an uncertain price tag.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's like Obama/Clinton healthcare debate in 2008. They had literally the same plan, except Obama said he wouldn't have a mandate, and they just argued over that for 5 months.

A difference that turned out to be critically important for the popularity of the plan and midterm electoral prospects lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

A difference that turned out to be critically important for the popularity of the plan and midterm electoral prospects lol

So... you agree that the substance of the actual plan was not hugely different?

If you want to make an argument that one candidate has a smarter way of selling their policies politically, that's fine. I wouldn't disagree.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So... you agree that the substance of the actual plan was not hugely different?

If you ignore the substantive differences, then you agree the substance was not different?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Booker, Bernie, Harris, Gillibrand, Biden, and Warren all support a $15 minimum wage. Some of them think we should start at $12 and phase it in over 5 years. Some of them think we should phase it in over 3 years. Some of them think we should phase it in over 7 years. Those are not hugely different positions.

It's a huge difference if you're currently making less than $15/hour and want to make that much money as soon as possible, but why would I possibly expect D&D to feel empathy for poor people?

Particularly a Holocaust denying troll like yourself, you loving shitstain.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

They had the same exact plan it's just that Obama lied about one part of it to win.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brony Car posted:

I feel like many older and middle-aged voters worn down by life and age (and years of propaganda about Reaganomics and St. Milton Friedman) would definitely feel more enthused about concepts like "Medicare for All" when there seems to be a concrete or close-to-concrete plan to implement it.

Maybe it's Dems letting conservatives frame the issue as a distraction from the moral imperative to have a society where people don't die from lack of health care, but I do see some value is being able to say a proposal is not just "pie in the sky" promises that will come with an uncertain price tag.

Sure, but there's also a big difference between, say, "universal basic income" on the one hand and "supplementary income for qualifying enrollees" or whatever term we see in Harris's plan.

That's the thing with these plans from Booker and Harris: they don't make immediate, specific, generally-applicable promises that would then have to be fullfilled. "Ok, eighteen years from now your kid, if you have kids, will get some financial help, which may be enough, but might not, if the program survives that long" is just empty bullshit. "Fifteen dollars an hour in your pocket tomorrow" is a specific actionable promise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's been a long time since 2008, but Paul Krugman thought the differences went beyond the mandate (he argues that Clinton's was more progressive in other ways which would make the mandate less hated, and he predicted that Obama would find his plan needed a mandate anyway)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WampaLord posted:

It's a huge difference if you're currently making less than $15/hour and want to make that much money as soon as possible, but why would I possibly expect D&D to feel empathy for poor people?

Particularly a Holocaust denying troll like yourself, you loving shitstain.

I just looked it up to double check and Biden actually supported a $15 minimum wage by 2020 in September 2015.

So, the differences in policy are actually between 3 years for full implementation and 4 1/2 years for full implementation.

Interesting that you cut out the rest of that post and didn't seem to want to address it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sure, but there's also a big difference between, say, "universal basic income" on the one hand and "supplementary income for qualifying enrollees" or whatever term we see in Harris's plan.

That's the thing with these plans from Booker and Harris: they don't make immediate, specific, generally-applicable promises that would then have to be fullfilled. "Ok, eighteen years from now your kid, if you have kids, will get some financial help, which may be enough, but might not, if the program survives that long" is just empty bullshit. "Fifteen dollars an hour in your pocket tomorrow" is a specific actionable promise.

Harris's plan is immediate, it's just too small. It's a million times better than Booker Bux.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

It's been a long time since 2008, but Paul Krugman thought the differences went beyond the mandate (he argues that Clinton's was more progressive in other ways which would make the mandate less hated, and he predicted that Obama would find his plan needed a mandate anyway)

Heh, interesting flashback. I'd argue that the error Krugman was making there is the same one I'm talking about above; the failure to realize that policy needs a sales pitch and a salesman more than it needs a white paper.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Any delay in implementation is effectively an anti-$15 position, because $15 in 2018 won't be $15 in 2023.

"Oh let's just let inflation eat at it a little longer" is an anti-$15 position, just a subtler more dishonest one

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heh, interesting flashback. I'd argue that the error Krugman was making there is the same one I'm talking about above; the failure to realize that policy needs a sales pitch and a salesman more than it needs a white paper.

Except he was right that Obama would piss people off by flipflopping, and the 2010 election was an important one.

Although his main criticism wasn't "Obama should have a mandate" it was "Obama's subsidies aren't generous enough and he lacks the affordability guarantees to actually get everyone insured, and he will try to patch it by reneging on his no-mandate promise" and that turned out to be 100% correct, PPACA was not affordable, and many people got pissed that they had to choose between paying a penalty or paying out even more to nominally buy insurance that is effectively worthless because they can't afford to use it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hellblazer187 posted:

Harris's plan is immediate, it's just too small. It's a million times better than Booker Bux.

Oh yeah, it's better than Booker's, it's just dinky with too many carveouts. Universal income is the pitch. Not means-tested, employment-tested, too-small programs.

Why do Medicare and Medicaid survive? Because they're broad programs with huge constituencies. The more carveouts there are the more ways there are to attack the programs. It's the opposite of "skin in the game" : you want everybody to have something to lose if the program is cut.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

Any delay in implementation is effectively an anti-$15 position, because $15 in 2018 won't be $15 in 2023.

"Oh let's just let inflation eat at it a little longer" is an anti-$15 position, just a subtler more dishonest one

Your position is that literally nobody is in favor of a $15 minimum wage?

If that is the case, then Bernie is in favor of a $14.26 minimum wage and Biden is in favor of a $14.12 minimum wage.

A 121% increase in real dollars vs. a 114% increase in real dollars compared to current law.

I still don't see how this is fitting into your idea that there are huge differences in these plans. Especially, compared to historical ideological differences.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like most of the party has come to grips with $15/hr minimum wage (though I don't trust them to not water it down once elected, plus the whole "it's effectively lower if phased in over a long time due to inflation" issue), but there is a very big difference between the sort of candidate who isn't willing to openly support MfA in our current political climate and one who is (and also a difference between the sort of candidate who was willing to support that sort of thing years prior, which only applies to Sanders). Even if they reach a point where they might look similar in November of 2018 or whatever, something like an unwillingness to openly support MfA says something about a candidate's ideology and how they're likely to behave in the future as new issues come up. I trust Sanders to keep pushing left if these current goals were accomplished, because he has spent his entire political career doing this. I don't trust any of the other potential nominees to do this, because they only recently moved left on most of these things (and often have some pretty nasty things in their histories, like Biden).

So even if other candidates manage to start supporting the current major planks, there are other important things that need to be accomplished and I don't trust someone as much if they were only very recently willing to support some of the current platform.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I would go as far as to say that it would even be flat-out good if not for the working requirement (or specifically the need to have earned $3000, apparently), which manages to single-handedly gently caress up the entire proposal (I could overlook the other issues with it if not for that, but that's a biiig problem).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 1, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Except he was right that Obama would piss people off by flipflopping, and the 2010 election was an important one.

Although his main criticism wasn't "Obama should have a mandate" it was "Obama's subsidies aren't generous enough and he lacks the affordability guarantees to actually get everyone insured, and he will try to patch it by reneging on his no-mandate promise" and that turned out to be 100% correct, PPACA was not affordable, and many people got pissed that they had to choose between paying a penalty or paying out even more to nominally buy insurance that is effectively worthless because they can't afford to use it.

Sure, but there's wrong about the facts and there's wrong about the frame.

Krugman wasn't wrong about the facts he was analyzing (he rarely if ever is). But he was wrong about the larger frame of "who can win the nomination and then get a health care law passed." Hillary couldn't actually get it done, Obama could.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I agree. Make it universal and claw back the difference with tax increases if you have to. A guy making $100k nets out the same but still gets those checks and supports the program. It's bullshit accounting but smart politics. Seems like a no brainer to me, but you're right they're trying to sell to some weird wonky dork people (us) instead of the real general public.

As an opening salvo (when combined with M4A, $15min wage, free Uni, etc) it's a dent in making our society more decent but not enough. This is the kind of thing I was talking about before - if we had 40 years of implementing programs like this instead or insane Reagan/Bush/Trump years and middling Clinton/Obama years, we'd really have somehting resembling a decent country. But because we have had all those insane and/or weak and/or evil people running things for so long we really need bigger changes now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Why don't the dems just make a UBI and call it SS4A? It's the same exact messaging as M4A and it would work for the same reason.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I trust Sanders to keep pushing left if these current goals were accomplished, because he has spent his entire political career doing this. I don't trust any of the other potential nominees to do this, because they only recently moved left on most of these things (and often have some pretty nasty things in their histories, like Biden).

Bingo.

But for some reason (the reason is centrism) a lot of people in this subforum extend far too much benefit of the doubt to people who have just recently come around on those positions.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

Bingo.

But for some reason (the reason is centrism) a lot of people in this subforum extend far too much benefit of the doubt to people who have just recently come around on those positions.

Are there really no younger Bernies in the Dem ranks? Is it basically him and Pow-wow Chow Warren and then just generations of Clintonian triangulators?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your position is that literally nobody is in favor of a $15 minimum wage?
Yes. The proposal should have been adjusted for inflation every year it wasn't adopted since $15 was calculated as a living wage.

If that is the case, then Bernie is in favor of a $14.26 minimum wage and Biden is in favor of a $14.12 minimum wage.

A 121% increase in real dollars vs. a 114% increase in real dollars compared to current law.

I still don't see how this is fitting into your idea that there are huge differences in these plans. Especially, compared to historical ideological differences.

That's not a trivial difference. That's money in people's pockets who need it most.

The larger difference is trust, $15 in three years is already a compromise on a $15 wage in 2016, which is already a compromise of the $21 the wage should be adjusted for inflation and productivity since its high-water mark in 1965. Someone who takes an already-inadequate proposal of $15 in three years and says "let's make it worse for no reason how about four-and-a-half" can't be trusted to even deliver that.

If someone is already saying "let's take this guy's plan, but worse" it's reasonable to be concerned that he's not all that enthusiastic about it, and is less likely to deliver on promises to implement it.

E:

I think that is a legit concern and criticism. But it seems to be selectively applied. Nobody who applies it for certain issues or candidates applies it to the fact that Sanders was anti-immigration, pro-legal immunity for gun manufacturers, had no major opinion on criminal justice reform, supported three strike laws, was pro-NRA (A+ rating), and pro-tariffs until he ran in a Democratic Presidential Primary and Trump proposed tariffs.

Does it impact his trustworthiness that he reversed positions he held for 30+ years over the course of 2 months?

Yes it impacts his trustworthiness on those positions.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 1, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WampaLord posted:

Bingo.

I think that is a legit concern and criticism. But it seems to be selectively applied. Nobody who applies it for certain issues or candidates applies it to the fact that Sanders was anti-immigration, pro-legal immunity for gun manufacturers, had no major opinion on criminal justice reform, supported three strike laws, was pro-NRA (A+ rating), and pro-tariffs until he ran in a Democratic Presidential Primary and Trump proposed tariffs.

Does it impact his trustworthiness that he reversed positions he held for 30+ years over the course of 2 months?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sure, but there's wrong about the facts and there's wrong about the frame.

Krugman wasn't wrong about the facts he was analyzing (he rarely if ever is). But he was wrong about the larger frame of "who can win the nomination and then get a health care law passed." Hillary couldn't actually get it done, Obama could.

That wasn't his argument.

A valid counter-argument to Krugman might be "even if her plan is better, she will lose the election whereas the better salesman will win and actually write policy" sure, but the counter-argument there is "even if that's true, Obama should still be pressured to adopt her more generous subsidy model and stronger affordability guarantees, even if he has to lie about the mandate to win"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Does it matter that he reversed positions he held for 30+ years over the course of 2 months?

Lol, Bernie has never had an A+ rating from the NRA you loving liar.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

That's not a trivial difference.

I feel like defining "huge differences" down to "14 cents in inflation-adjusted dollars" just means that there is essentially no meaningful distinction between any distinction at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I feel like defining "huge differences" down to "14 cents in inflation-adjusted dollars" just means that there is essentially no meaningful distinction between any distinction at all.

What does that math out to in terms of yearly income for the individual minimum wage worker

when your salary is only 15 grand a year, an extra $500 over the course of the year is lifesaving

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you're going to selectively quote me and ignore the thrust of my argument to respond in bad faith, then gently caress off

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Interesting that you are basing this on data that stops at 1992.

quote:

How the National Rifle Association helped get Bernie Sanders elected

A few days before Election Day in 1990, the National Rifle Association sent a letter to its 12,000 members in Vermont, with an urgent message about the race for the state’s single House seat.

Vote for the socialist, the gun rights group said. It’s important.

“Bernie Sanders is a more honorable choice for Vermont sportsmen than ­Peter Smith,” wrote Wayne LaPierre, who was — and still is — a top official at the national NRA, backing Sanders over the Republican incumbent.

As a candidate in 1990, Sanders won over gun rights groups by promising to oppose one bill they hated — a measure that would establish a waiting period for handgun sales. In Congress, he kept that promise. Vermont voters were treated to endorsement cards giving Sanders an "A+" by the NRA and urging them to vote against Peter Smith. The dynamic served as an early demonstration that, despite his pure-leftist persona, Sanders was at his core a pragmatic politician, calculating that he couldn’t win in rural Vermont without doing something for gun owners.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

If you're going to selectively quote me and ignore the thrust of my argument to respond in bad faith, then gently caress off

That's what you've been doing to him, though. He's an rear end a lot of the time but his point about how much closer the Dem party is now compared to the past is a legit point and you just seem to be picking a fight because you don't like LT.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What does that math out to in terms of yearly income for the individual minimum wage worker

when your salary is only 15 grand a year, an extra $500 over the course of the year is lifesaving

Do you see how this kind of supports my original point?

The fact that we are arguing over how meaningful 14 cents per hour in inflation-adjusted dollars is and not whether the Iraq War is a moral imperative or whether we should ban video games shows that the ideological gap in 2020 is going to be smaller than it has ever been.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Interesting that you are basing this on data that stops at 1992.

Interesting that you're using a one-off from nineteen loving ninety to illustrate what you describe as "positions he held for 30+ years" despite the fact that in every instance since he's consistently rated much, much worse, you disingenuous toad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lt2012 is the last Hillary man on Earth, fighting to the bitter end

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mandatory lesbian posted:

Lt2012 is the last Hillary man on Earth, fighting to the bitter end

I voted Clark in '04, Obama in '08, and Chafee in '16.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

That's what you've been doing to him, though. He's an rear end a lot of the time but his point about how much closer the Dem party is now compared to the past is a legit point and you just seem to be picking a fight because you don't like LT.

I already showed you that wasn't his point.

He fishmeched to that when he couldn't support his original point, so he could strawman everyone who says "actually there are important differences between the candidates" as denying that the Dem party is any more ideologically unified than in the past.

VitalSigns posted:

Hellblazer187 posted:

He referred to any distinguishing features of the candidates as

Let's follow that link. The only one that isn't a spurious analogy with ethnic strife is:

Wikipedia posted:

In terms of postmodernity, Clive Hazell argues that consumer culture has been seen as predicated on the narcissism of small differences to achieve a superficial sense of one's own uniqueness, an ersatz sense of otherness which is only a mask for an underlying uniformity and sameness.

The differences between the candidates are superficial and ersatz which are only a mask for underlying uniformity and sameness, that was the claim.

Not only are you lying about his original claim for god knows what reason, but in the post I responded to he argued it doesn't matter if you let inflation eat away at the living wage for an extra 18 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Whether you want it to happen or not, forcing an immediate minimum wage rise will give employers an excuse to fire people. A delayed introduction helps mitigate that.

How long you wait is up to debate I guess.