Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I tried a local dogfish once. Heard their use to be a fishery around here. Would send them all the way to England for fish and chips.

It's garbage. Used it for crab bait.

That's disappointing about the dogfish. I've been curious myself, and I figured if it was for fish & chips it would at least resemble a flaky whitefish. I always like it when you can make throwaway fish taste good, but sometimes there's no helping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've heard the brits also soak shark meat in milk before cooking to mellow out off flavors. Maybe try that too?

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I've read that only dogfish over 3ft are good for eating, there's some catch and cooks on youtube with varying degrees of success, but the bigger ones usually seem to come out better.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rape Stink posted:

I've read that only dogfish over 3ft are good for eating, there's some catch and cooks on youtube with varying degrees of success, but the bigger ones usually seem to come out better.

..and meanwhile, a dogfish in :canada: looks like this and is equally inedible.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Living the Good Life

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I tried a local dogfish once. Heard their use to be a fishery around here. Would send them all the way to England for fish and chips.

It's garbage. Used it for crab bait.

lol I had a guy work for me once who would pick up bycaught dogfish from the beach and eat them, I wish I was halfway as dedicated to eating fish at all costs as he was

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

woah that’s a whole different kind of dogfish though, I’ve never seen one like that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I did a bit of bait collecting after work last night. It was a pretty hot day for this time of year with storms forecast for the evening, Australian salmon often really fire up before a change in the weather. It wasn't quite as frenetic as I was hoping but I ended up with seven fish in less than 2 hours of fishing which is pretty good, and the storms rolled past either side of me so I didn't even get rained on.

This fish was already having a bad day before I caught it, it looks like a gannet took a swipe at it and removed a decent chunk of flesh.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sockington posted:

BOWFIN MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Where'd you get that one at?
Looks like Shield country.

I've only ever seen one in person, my buddy and I were trying for them out of my canoe and he pulled one up from the depths.

He said it fought like a motherfucker.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Oh that isn’t me at all. I’ve just heard the bowfin referred to as dogfish, so was just jumping in for some fish talk action :coolfish:

I haven’t caught anything in months? :(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sockington posted:

Oh that isn’t me at all. I’ve just heard the bowfin referred to as dogfish, so was just jumping in for some fish talk action :coolfish:

I haven’t caught anything in months? :(

This is the one my buddy caught, out of my canoe.

If you can zoom in on the mouth shot, you can really see the teeth these bitches have, thought the zoom might not work too well off imgur.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It looks like tides are good tomorrow so I'm going to the marina pier. Hopefully I'll have some perch, sand dabs, or octopus to post.

Last night I was watching a video on YouTube of a dude catching crappies. He said "Lookit this rascal!" just about every time he caught a fish and I didn't know how much I love that phrase until now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I got a new PB snapper today, 61cm on a soft plastic. Heaps of fun on the 2-5kg gear and I can't wait to BBQ the fucker in the Weber. I found a school of salmon later in the day and picked off almost a dozen to keep for baits. I also got 3 flathead. The wind was a bastard but maybe that was why the fish were so active - I never seem to do that well on the glassed out days.

And here is my fishing buddy putting plenty of hurt on a piece of reef. I lost interest but I think the reef won

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I haven’t had a big haul day in a while. That looks like tons of fun.

I got my free steel boat on my free steel trailer, and shoved it into the garage. I gave it a quick clean after sitting full of leaves and rain for a few months, and got to puttering around.

Installed some latches. Re-did the braces for the wood tops out of some stainless instead or 2x2” wood to save some space. This let me move the fuel tank a bit more and get fancy with the fuel routing. Then added some holders for the net and my rod that will keep my fat arse on the seat when the action starts.

I also want to take all the fish pictures on that “Welcome Aboard” rubber mat. :3:

She’s come a bit of a ways. I’m only about $100 into the boat and trailer so far, including dump fees for the old fibreglass boat I cut up, and materials for paint.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sockington posted:

I got my free steel boat on my free steel trailer, and shoved it into the garage. I gave it a quick clean after sitting full of leaves and rain for a few months, and got to puttering around.

Installed some latches. Re-did the braces for the wood tops out of some stainless instead or 2x2” wood to save some space. This let me move the fuel tank a bit more and get fancy with the fuel routing. Then added some holders for the net and my rod that will keep my fat arse on the seat when the action starts.

I also want to take all the fish pictures on that “Welcome Aboard” rubber mat. :3:

She’s come a bit of a ways. I’m only about $100 into the boat and trailer so far, including dump fees for the old fibreglass boat I cut up, and materials for paint.

Looks like a great project dude!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Sockington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwXOAZDewuo

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Awesome project.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm looking forward to seeing that thing full of Walters.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’ve been out a couple times with zero shore success, but fixed that just after 5am on Sunday. Fat 19” Walter came home with me.

Got some more work done on the boat too this weekend. Battery box installed along with some wiring work. Fire extinguisher hard mounted too in a different area than the fuel tank (heh, planning for the worst).

Artisan hand melted bent PVC conduit for my electrical runs.

Saved the old light from fibreglass boat I cut up.

Slowly trudging along. I’ll probably have it ready just in time for the first freeze up :sweatdrop:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Loven’ it

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

WALTER DESTROYER

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I like the navigation lights on an eight foot dinghy.

Take that monster out in the shipping lanes, blow an air horn at a tanker.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I know someone was talking up the Tatula's in this thread, but I don't feel like searching for it to tell them that they were right. Just, wow. It doesn't feel like it has the torque of my Curado (it's a smaller reel so that's to be expected), but it is just a delight to fish. I got the latest model 8.1:1 Tatula SV and paired it the MH 7'5" model of this: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ritual_Angling_R-II_Series_Casting_Rods/descpage-RAGCCR.html

Just like.... so good.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Caught my first flatfish today :toot:

Also ate a striped perch, just to see what they're like

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Think that’s a rainbow surf perch. It’s not very good but the sand dab is prime. You in the puget sound?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yep, I'm in the sound. Surf perch was mushy as I've read other people say. Probably won't be bringing many of those home. I'll probably try targeting the flatfish more. How do I find the big ones?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve been fooling around with plastics the last few times I’ve been out on my kayak trying to catch them over sandy bottom but I’m gonna switch to squid next time. A 12 inch sand dab makes a nice 1/2 meal.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That surf perch is a pretty fish.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Think that’s a rainbow surf perch. It’s not very good but the sand dab is prime. You in the puget sound?

Rainbow surf perch might be a colloquial name; striped surfperch is technically correct, if you want to be a dick about it.

The meat is pretty delicate since they don't really have to do very much work in life. Sharp knives are crucial for good fillets, and they are also good fish to cook whole (baked in parchment with citrus and herbs, for example). Redtail meat is delicate also, but firmer and slightly sweeter than the striped perch. Redtails actually live in the waves instead of just cruising the tides of protective waters for easy meals.

I'd take rockfish over striped perch any day of the week, not that it will be an option for another four months on the coast. It's a shame that the tastier fish isn't the one that gives birth to live young that grow and mature quickly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Rainbow surf perch might be a colloquial name; striped surfperch is technically correct, if you want to be a dick about it.

The meat is pretty delicate since they don't really have to do very much work in life. Sharp knives are crucial for good fillets, and they are also good fish to cook whole (baked in parchment with citrus and herbs, for example). Redtail meat is delicate also, but firmer and slightly sweeter than the striped perch. Redtails actually live in the waves instead of just cruising the tides of protective waters for easy meals.

I'd take rockfish over striped perch any day of the week, not that it will be an option for another four months on the coast. It's a shame that the tastier fish isn't the one that gives birth to live young that grow and mature quickly.

Gah my Santa Cruz roots showing through! We called them rainbows. Barred surf perch the size of dinner plates were fairly common in the surf with rubberlips being the target of choice under the docks.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Anyone get any cool stuff on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I took advantage of the Tackle Warehouse sale and picked up some underspins and some 3.3" fat Keitechs.

I spent a few hours at the bay this morning and caught 7 bass and 2 mackerel. First mackerel was on a big topwater lure, so that was pretty cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Get a lip grip dude! Nice fish!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Get a lip grip dude! Nice fish!

I've been meaning to for bigger/toothier fish, but for those little guys I like the rag. I have it attached to my belt loop with a carabiner. Pop the fish outta the water, lip him with the rag, unhook him, and back in the water nice and fast.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The rag isn’t good for their skin. Mucus loss leads to skin infections. No worries man.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

The rag isn’t good for their skin. Mucus loss leads to skin infections. No worries man.

Yeah man, I feel ya. I worry about that too, so I make sure that I don't grab the whole body with the rag; just the lip. It helps to speed up my release and to protect my fingers, the second you grab them they start thrashing and they have sharp little teeth that shred up your thumb.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Got back out there and caught a real eater-sized sand dab. Extremely tasty, will be targeting them again

Also caught my first tiny little sculpin of some kind. Cabezon, perhaps? Its flesh seemed kinda blue in its mouth

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

Got back out there and caught a real eater-sized sand dab. Extremely tasty, will be targeting them again

Also caught my first tiny little sculpin of some kind. Cabezon, perhaps? Its flesh seemed kinda blue in its mouth

Staghorn.

Cabezons get huge and dont have those bony horns on their side.

They dont taste good. I tried them. Makes good crab bait though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That is an excellent flatfish and I want to eat it.

I'm going surf fishing and razor clamming this weekend and I don't think I could be more excited about it. It's been way too long.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dude you always go on my drill weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Why are they scheduling drills during a clam tide? That's poor planning on their part imo.