Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

anthonypants posted:

Portland, Oregon, Measure 26-201, Clean Energy Community Benefits Initiative (November 2018): Yes
- Giant retailers (tbh they should just say "Nike" and "Intel") get to pay a surcharge on gross revenue earned in Portland to pay for "clean renewable energy projects" and "job training". Probably won't pass.

Would this actually affect Intel? Nike has stores in Portland, but as far as I know all of Intel's facilities are outside of Portland proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cowtown posted:

Would this actually affect Intel? Nike has stores in Portland, but as far as I know all of Intel's facilities are outside of Portland proper.

Yeah I think it's more Walmart, Target, Freddy Krogers, etc...

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1057663148377997314

quote:

Washington state Rep. Matt Shea acknowledged Wednesday he had distributed a four-page manifesto titled “Biblical Basis for War,” which describes the Christian God as a “warrior,” details the composition and strategies of a “Holy Army” and condemns abortion and same-sex marriage.

The document is organized in 14 sections with multiple tiers of bullet points and a smattering of biblical citations. Under one heading, “Rules of War,” it makes a chilling prescription for enemies who flout “biblical law.” It states, “If they do not yield – kill all males.”

After the document was leaked online Tuesday, the Spokane Valley Republican insisted he was not promoting violence and that the message had been taken out of context.

[...]

In the video, Shea also compalains about a recently published Rolling Stone profile that characterizes him as an extremist, argues that the United States is “a Christian nation” and asserts that his detractors are part of a so-called “counter state” made up of “Marxists” and “Islamists.” He dismisses criticism as nothing more than “smears and slander and innuendo and implication.”

He also delves into the philosophy known as “just war theory,” which has been endorsed by many mainstream Christians.

[...]

Knezovich echoed that, noting in his email that Shea visited right-wing activists during their armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Eastern Oregon in 2016.

“The goal of these groups has always been to create a white homeland consisting of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington,” Knezovich wrote. “The ideas presented in the (biblical war) document are how these groups intend to seize control, by force, should there be a governmental collapse or civil war.”

The real fun is the third page:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hits share-ia button.

Edit: it's a lot more fun substituting the word "Tyrannosaurus" for "Tyranny"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

seiferguy posted:

I've only seen fair enforcement on the light rail once, and of course he went after the minorities.

I was fare checked nearly every day riding the sounder train up from Auburn. They checked every single persons ticket/card in the car.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I see squads of those stupid goons (namaste) daily at the RapidRide stop a block from my house. One of these days when I have the time (and free time off) I'm gonna ride that line all day with a pocket full of singles to pay fares as they find evaders.

I'll probably never have the time to do it but a person can dream.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I see squads of those stupid goons (namaste) daily at the RapidRide stop a block from my house. One of these days when I have the time (and free time off) I'm gonna ride that line all day with a pocket full of singles to pay fares as they find evaders.

This is a sweet post

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

You could buy a bunch of transfer tickets and when you see them hassling the person you could interject with an "excuse me, i think I saw you drop this transfer slip when you got on?"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The county next to mine just passed a thing banning any fees for opting out of smart meter installation from Pacific Power. Mine is moving that way as well. Anywhere else having such severe wailing and gnashing of teeth over the things or are they just rolling them out here in particular right now?

Personally I have one and I think they're great but I don't like letting a utility with a monopoly dictate to people about equipment on their own house so I'm pretty OK with PP having to eat their bullshit punitive fees. All the :tinfoil: about RADIATION is just stupid, though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They installed mine this summer and I don't notice anything other than my bill being more consistent.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Being able to pull up usage stats down to the hourly level is pretty great. I can actually calculate how much various activities/devices cost me without buying a kill-a-watt or whatever.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Javid posted:

All the :tinfoil: about RADIATION is just stupid, though.

Oregon.txt

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Javid posted:

The county next to mine just passed a thing banning any fees for opting out of smart meter installation from Pacific Power. Mine is moving that way as well. Anywhere else having such severe wailing and gnashing of teeth over the things or are they just rolling them out here in particular right now?

Personally I have one and I think they're great but I don't like letting a utility with a monopoly dictate to people about equipment on their own house so I'm pretty OK with PP having to eat their bullshit punitive fees. All the :tinfoil: about RADIATION is just stupid, though.

I've had a couple breathless posts on my community fb group about it in Seattle. Most recently someone was asking if it could be why her wi-fi sucks lately but we had a couple previous posts about RADIATION with links straight to naturalnews.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I've had a couple breathless posts on my community fb group about it in Seattle. Most recently someone was asking if it could be why her wi-fi sucks lately but we had a couple previous posts about RADIATION with links straight to naturalnews.

I get that this isn't the biggest thing we need to police on the left, but holy crap is it a pervasive problem. You got these folks, you have anti-vaxxers, the anti-fluoridation folks and this poo poo never ends.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

these are all mental health issues

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lmao Boeing is rolling out a new scheme for non-union folks where your monthly health insurance premium scales up as you make more money.

If I wasn't in the union my monthly cost would go up over $200 starting next year.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

I get that this isn't the biggest thing we need to police on the left, but holy crap is it a pervasive problem. You got these folks, you have anti-vaxxers, the anti-fluoridation folks and this poo poo never ends.

The people who're actually, actively angry about those topics are a weird little subgroup that spans the spectrum. It appeals to both the full-hippy bodily autonomy crowd and the Ron Swanson-level no government ever crowd and you get people from anywhere in between. I get the vibe that most people don't give a poo poo what meter is on their house, but the people who show up to the council meetings are the angry ones.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lmao Boeing is rolling out a new scheme for non-union folks where your monthly health insurance premium scales up as you make more money.

If I wasn't in the union my monthly cost would go up over $200 starting next year.

I mean, that’s honestly impressive, I think it’s the most progressive-in-theory-but-also-spectacularly-evil policy I’ve seen.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i mean honestly thats how i know progressive taxation is effective if corporations are willing to use it on their own employees it must be

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

This is like progressive taxation if the curl of a finger on a monkey's paw created it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Lmao drat, I'm glad I'm outta there now. And I've been annoyed with my healthcare policy now...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Contract is up in 2022 so I guess that's when I peace out? This kinda poo poo is typically a bellwether for the contract outcomes.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Allegedly the union negotiated for King County based state workers to get a raise specifically to address the cost of living/working here. Is this what it feels like to have hope before it's inevitably brutally crushed?

I've also gotten at least 3 texts and calls from people cold calling me to stump for Dino Rossi.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Did anyone get this mailer from Susan Hutchison that's basically "I volunteered in my kid's school lunchroom, what has Cantwell ever done?"

Like they're both garbage candidates but come on.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Did anyone get this mailer from Susan Hutchison that's basically "I volunteered in my kid's school lunchroom, what has Cantwell ever done?"

You would never know from Rossi's material that he was a Trump supporting Republican because it talks about nothing but how he loves disabled kids.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thaddius the Large posted:

I mean, that’s honestly impressive, I think it’s the most progressive-in-theory-but-also-spectacularly-evil policy I’ve seen.

Also they bragged about spending $100M on “employee facility upgrades” like new chairs in the cafeterias (think tator tots, not free artisan FB bullshit) and inspirational posters thanks to “the new tax cuts” while spending :siren: $18B :siren: on stock buybacks.

Hooray.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 2, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Susan's husband screwed me out of a promotion so regardless of my feelings for Cantwell I want to make sure Hutchinson loses hard as gently caress.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

How ‘bout that TV spot of her talking about harassment she experienced at one company and how she joined other women there in fighting back?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I voted Steve Hoffman in the senate race, because gently caress Maria Cantwell, and double-gently caress Susan Hutchison.

Cantwell is gonna walk away with that one, though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.koin.com/news/or-wash-residents-receive-voting-report-cards_20171130090026755/870133104

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's not the single most effective way to dissuade me from ever voting for a party again, but it's definitely a solid attempt at the title.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Woooo, now I can be an insufferable teacher’s pet as an adult too!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i cant be bothered to feel sorry for people who don't vote tho.

my fragile non-voting ego has been bruised by this canvass mailer and i demand attention

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

To be clear, I'd get the "excellent" one if they bother mailing them out this far, but also they don't get a loving opinion on how and when I choose to vote no matter if it's good or bad

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Maybe the Dems should work on improving their platform so people actually want to vote for them, or bettering voter access instead of blaming their constituents for low turnout? Just spitballing here.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Anyone who doesn't vote by choice deserves all the bad things they get.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

As we've discussed previously, the voters are to blame not the lovely platform.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Voting for ballot initiatives is still important and no amount of Democratic party shittiness changes that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"Public shaming"? "Bullying"??! loving come on.

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Voting for ballot initiatives is still important and no amount of Democratic party shittiness changes that

Before anyone tries to start the "initiatives are actually terrible and should be abolished because all legislative activity should be done by the elected officials we all agree are 100% dogshit" chat again, it doesn't matter, because if you think initiatives are inherently bad then it's your duty to vote no on every one of them, except for the initiative to abolish initiatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Initiatives are great. I only vote down the stupid ones.