Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Quote not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Yeah gently caress that poo poo. Especially in a puzzle game like picross where you pick up techniques the more you do it, and start seeing patterns as you progress into deeper and deeper puzzles. It's one of my favourite puzzle genres and I'm pretty sure I'm halfway decent at it, but I know there's still techniques to learn.

For example, this:

I have no idea what he's talking about. If someone could elaborate on this that'd be fantastic.

On the 5 and 7, even if they overlap completely, it will leave two 1's and a block of 2's because the seven is two longer than the five. If they don't overlap at all, it'll have seven 1's at the end and then five 1s or higher.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

i came out of the womb already knowing all the sick picross strats, despite the game not being invented until well after my birth

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

90's advertising is one thing I think nobody is nostalgic for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ponzicar posted:

No idea what you're talking about

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Earthbound and its "this game stinks" campaign.

I remember some two page spread for 90s jrpgs that was a house with tall grass, newspapers everywhere, and an emaciated dog in the front lawn.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

"Pretty much any puzzle" but certainly not puzzles that require you to be a computer to basically trial and error without actually trying (if you make changes on the board you can have a penalty depending on the app rules or a mess with a pen) hypothetical positions and then verifying down the line if that will work. Or I'm missing something which may well be the case. If anyone cares I'll get one off an iPad app I have that is relatively simple but almost certainly not solvable by that logic.
The end of the sentence you quoted is "that doesn't require X" where X is the rest of your post.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ponzicar posted:

Counter point:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The great picross argument of 2018: not this thread's finest moment

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Morpheus posted:

I have no idea what he's talking about. If someone could elaborate on this that'd be fantastic.

I'm going to spoiler the explanation, because if you're a beginner who's still internalising the basic techniques it might be a little much. Once you can solve most puzzles without any trouble, except the ones they don't seem to have anywhere you can make a start on, come back and take a look.

The rows and columns on the edge of the board are a bit special - if there's a dot somewhere in one of them, you know exactly what clue it belongs to in the other orientation, and you also know exactly where the entire block for that clue will be.

In the example puzzle, there are seven (consecutive) dots in the rightmost column. Each of those dots will also correspond to a dot in the second-from-the-right column, unless the last clue for that row is a 1.

Since the second-from-the-right column only has five dots in it, this tells you that at least two of the dots in the far right column must be in a row where the last clue is a 1.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jabor posted:

I'm going to spoiler the explanation, because if you're a beginner who's still internalising the basic techniques it might be a little much. Once you can solve most puzzles without any trouble, except the ones they don't seem to have anywhere you can make a start on, come back and take a look.

The rows and columns on the edge of the board are a bit special - if there's a dot somewhere in one of them, you know exactly what clue it belongs to in the other orientation, and you also know exactly where the entire block for that clue will be.

In the example puzzle, there are seven (consecutive) dots in the rightmost column. Each of those dots will also correspond to a dot in the second-from-the-right column, unless the last clue for that row is a 1.

Since the second-from-the-right column only has five dots in it, this tells you that at least two of the dots in the far right column must be in a row where the last clue is a 1.

i consider myself pretty deece at picross but drat i have never generalized this rule. good tip!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
im bored and have a couple minutes at oncd to do poo poo at work. what's everyone playing. no anime or clash type games. Probably no puzzles either

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
poo poo wrong thread.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 2, 2018

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Mr Hootington posted:

Game crashed when I got into power armor lol

Which Picross game is that? That's the one I wanna play. The one with power armor.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Probably Templar Battleforce.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
C&C rivals just sent out The Big Beta Survey. If you're playing it and want free gems it took about half an hour to click through. Anyone that's playing and wants to join us hit up 'We shall have RESPECT' and I'll get you into the alliance. It's sort of a ghost town but at least there's plenty of room :unsmith:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
So i am at 83.0% complete in Pixel Puzzle. Nothing but Boss puzzles left so I get one every 4 hours. Just completed my next one and now I am at 83.2%...

So if my math is right I have about 85 more boss puzzles to go at a 4 hour wait so I can maybe do 3 a day maybe 4 if I push it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

syscall girl posted:

"Pretty much any puzzle" but certainly not puzzles that require you to be a computer to basically trial and error without actually trying (if you make changes on the board you can have a penalty depending on the app rules or a mess with a pen) hypothetical positions and then verifying down the line if that will work. Or I'm missing something which may well be the case. If anyone cares I'll get one off an iPad app I have that is relatively simple but almost certainly not solvable by that logic.

Post it. Your probably just missing something. What I find is that if I get stuck I come back later. If that doesn't help then I reset the whole thing and start from scratch. You might have accidentally marked something wrong and that will throw your whole thing off.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blizzard.diablo.immortal

Diablo Immortal, new game from Blizzard. Prereg is open.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I have no idea who this is supposed to be for, but I prereg'd out of morbid curiosity.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

It's from this.

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1058443668766375936?s=19

Partnered with Netease for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know, but I mean I don't get the intended audience here. A nonpausable "massive" ARPG with (from the trailer at least seems to be) a very small amount of characters on screen, a few days after they released a complete Switch port of an actual Diablo game. It's not looking like a commuter-friendly mobile game, so who is it targeted at?

I guess I'm just bitter that after C&C Arena this means yet another Very Old PC Game IP that has been relegated to mobile.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Drone posted:

I know, but I mean I don't get the intended audience here. A nonpausable "massive" ARPG with (from the trailer at least seems to be) a very small amount of characters on screen, a few days after they released a complete Switch port of an actual Diablo game. It's not looking like a commuter-friendly mobile game, so who is it targeted at?

I guess I'm just bitter that after C&C Arena this means yet another Very Old PC Game IP that has been relegated to mobile.

I'm sure Diablo 4 is in the pipe, this just seems like a side project while they grind that out like that Elder Scrolls Blades game Bethesda is doing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Namaer posted:

I'm sure Diablo 4 is in the pipe, this just seems like a side project while they grind that out like that Elder Scrolls Blades game Bethesda is doing.

https://twitter.com/NeinballGamer/status/1058452353601363968

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drat, not compatible with my LG G4. :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 2, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's not compatible with my Nexus 5X. Hopefully it will open up to more devices before launch :)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Drone posted:

D3 in China is huge and relies on microtransactions to make money.

Guess who this game is for?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
My only question is whether it will be a real game, or if it's going to be some gacha bullshit with timers on everything that can be bypassed by a premium currency.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Gatcha for runes and gear with slots most likely

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

As reported in the iOS Games thread, some Chinese company did a lovely knock off of Diablo, and now Blizzard is paying them to resin it to Diablo. They say avoid at all costs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

:psyduck:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

As reported in the iOS Games thread, some Chinese company did a lovely knock off of Diablo, and now Blizzard is paying them to resin it to Diablo. They say avoid at all costs.

Lmao that is some serious through the looking glass poo poo

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone posted in the D3 thread that there will be no skill respecs, and that Blizzard hasn't figured out how loot will work yet.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

You though? Sorry I'm not pro-tier at Picross after only playing a few dozen puzzles I will immediately delete this from my phone and never try these again. :rolleyes:

No judgement here, just confusion. I'm at almost 50% on this game without reaching any puzzles nearly as tricky as this one, so I'm honestly not sure how you would make it this far without knowing about the overlap strategies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Penguin Patrol posted:

No judgement here, just confusion. I'm at almost 50% on this game without reaching any puzzles nearly as tricky as this one, so I'm honestly not sure how you would make it this far without knowing about the overlap strategies.

My puzzle was from about 30% but also like I said in my original post I would just go do other puzzles if I couldn't do a hint.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

God hates figs.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

God hates figs.

:five:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Diablo mobile is probably among the most disappointing news coming out of a Blizzcon. I wouldn't even bother with an action rpg on my tablet, much less on a tiny phone screen, but it will probably do great in Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Maybe it'll play itself like lineage