Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

So which unlucky goon turns out to be the groom when they get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Blade Runner posted:

Zarug

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Weddings are dumb, destination weddings are turbo dumb. Get a notary and two witnesses, go somewhere beautiful but local, and be done with it.

weddings are actually great, it's just that (done properly) they're about the community around the bride and groom rather than the bride and groom themselves - you're just throwing a big party for all your friends and family

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
weddings are fun. that's my hot take, thankssss

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Receptions are fun, but there's nothing fun about the actual Wedding.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blade Runner posted:

I'm too good for y'all

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh lol that's how I got away with it.

Yeah, I stil had 2 living grandmothers and a grandfather when I got married, and I probably still could have gotten away with it, but my folks paid grief a chunk of it and honestly all these years later I treasure the photos of my grandparents from that day.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I don't really get the point of destination weddings in general, why not just spend that money on your honeymoon?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

For the price of a destination wedding you could stay somewhere gorgeous and be a loving downright hedonist about it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Pick posted:

I'm too good for y'all

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the conversation trying to get some wedding money out of your folks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really get the point of destination weddings in general, why not just spend that money on your honeymoon?

Its a great way if youre a complete coward to avoid inviting people you dont like but dont want to formally state that fact.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Elderbean posted:

For the price of a destination wedding you could stay somewhere gorgeous and be a loving downright hedonist about it.
And your guests could pay for a vacation of their own, too.

Me [24F] with my fiancé [25M] (together 4 years) and his engaged friends [25M, 23F] and their destination wedding. They expect us to pay $3500 to go to their wedding - what??

quote:

So, a little bit of background: My fiancé and I are recently engaged, as are his close friend (let's say John) and his fiancé (let's say Marie). We are planning to get married next year, as are they. John has already asked that my fiancé be in his wedding party. Additionally, John and my fiancé are already committed to being groomsmen in another wedding that is also happening next year. The timing is obviously not ideal, as next year will be very expensive in terms of participating in other people's weddings and planning our own.

The problem: My fiancé recently got an invitation from John and Marie for their wedding. Turns out, they decided to do a destination wedding in Cancun to keep their costs low. That's cool, their choice. However, anyone with a basic understanding of economics can gather that their costs are low because their guests essentially subsidize costs for them. Their wedding planner provided some quotes for us, and cost amounted to $3500 with the wedding block discount and "cheap" flights. From my perspective, if you have a destination wedding, it is 100% fair for your guests to not attend, and you're not allowed to be upset about it. Also, you have to be upfront about costs before asking people to be in your wedding party because the cost is way higher than it would be if they got married closer to home. My fiancé was asked before John even proposed, and of course he said yes, because who would say no?

I cannot justify us spending this insane amount of money, as well as vacation time, on someone else's wedding. And with the specific circumstances, John and Marie are either ignorant to the real cost or they are just being douchey. My fiancé is expected to go, and I will be his wife by then so I feel it's weird if only he goes. John knows that he and my fiancé are already in another wedding party earlier in the year, which incurs cost in itself (bachelor party, tux, etc. - probably at least $500, optimistically). Not to mention our own wedding costs. And the fact that my fiancé only gets 10 days of vacation and cannot spend them on someone else's vacation. We need those days to visit my family who is 2000 miles away, and I will be very hurt if he skips time with my family during the holidays next year, as he has already suggested. He has also suggested using unpaid time off, but with all of these extra costs that makes absolutely zero sense. We also discussed only him going, but that only brings cost down to around $2000 (not even including groomsman costs) because we lose out on some of the discounts (i.e., single occupancy is more expensive per person than double occupancy).

So my question is, how can my fiancé confront John about the money issue? John has made it clear that he expects my fiancé to be there. And John and Marie have showcased their mentality of "people who actually care about us will make the effort to show up," which makes people feel lovely if they can't come. Needless to say, my fiancé is nervous about confronting the issue because he doesn't want to deal with a big fight.

Note: this is not the first time John and Marie have pulled this stunt. For John's last birthday, they made us pony up hundreds of dollars and a weekend to go to some expensive mountain resort. Again, it was expected that we go because we "care" about John. When we brought up the issue, it resulted in a fight, mostly from Marie acting like a child.

I am also upset that my fiancé is prioritizing his friend's entitlement and extravagance over our real lives (i.e., spending time with family, paying student loans, paying off his car, saving for a house, regular bills, etc.). Has anyone else dealt with this issue successfully? Each time I try to discuss it with him, he dismisses my concerns and says we should discuss it later and that I should just not think about it. I'm so stressed and have no idea how to deal with it.

TL/DR: Planning own wedding, so is fiancé's friend. Friend expects us to shell out $3500 to see him get married in Cancun because we would "if we really cared". We don't have that kind of money to spend on someone else's wedding. Fiancé trying to cut corners to pay for friend's wedding. How can we confront friend about costs, and how can I confront fiancé about him not thinking about our real lives/needs?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the conversation trying to get some wedding money out of your folks.

I don't ask my parents for money??

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Ya'll are crazy, what kinda person doesn't wanna go on a vacation they can't plan and have no say in location of, and that's all about making someone else happy, and if you make any mistakes you ruin that friendship for life and possibly don't get your money back?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

If your destination wedding is somewhere like Thailand it might end up being cheaper for you. The greater expensive is all on the guests having to get there and find a place to stay. In general destination weddings are for the very wealthy who only know other wealthy folk, or for small weddings where both partners are only bringing their immediate family.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Receptions are fun, but there's nothing fun about the actual Wedding.

You're going to the wrong weddings, if you're not allowed to be holding a drink from the Open Bar during the ceremony then gtfo

Weddings done correctly are just big parties with a break somewhere near the middle for two people to stand up and say how much they love each other and that they're deciding to make that official in a legal sense

ArbitraryC posted:

It's for people who want to have two honeymoons basically.

Getting married on a beach is excellent but don't get all pissy when there are friends or family who can't take a week off of work and fly to wherever for your wedding.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
We got married in the local church, had our reception at the local fancy hotel, and spent our honeymoon going to various theme parks. We didn't do the cake shoving thing because we noticed that people who do end up divorced, primarily because they don't respect each other. No one had to max out credit cards, take out loans, or bankrupt themselves for it.

Somehow, we've been married for 36 years.

Big Dick Energy
Oct 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress can we stop giving this pick oval office attention. bitch needs a good dicking but since no one wants her gnarly twat irl we have to endure her lovely fuckin posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
My immediate family and my boyfriend’s immediate family are scattered all over the country. No matter where we get married, it’s going to be a destination wedding for more people than not, so why not get married in Hawaii? :shrug:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

:chloe:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Big Dick Energy posted:

gently caress can we stop giving this pick oval office attention. bitch needs a good dicking but since no one wants her gnarly twat irl we have to endure her lovely fuckin posts.

Small dick energy

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Pick turns another man insane

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Big Dick Energy posted:

more like big pick energy

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Both times I got married it was at a beach but I've always lived within a 90 minute drive of a beach, so

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One more guy flips his lid at pretty girls lmao

Big Dick Energy
Oct 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Big Dick Energy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 2, 2018

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Whose rereg are you

Big Dick Energy
Oct 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
lowtaxs daughter

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Here in this thread of making fun of brokebrained idiots, alas, we have created one

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Settle down, Cags.

Pick posted:

I'm too good for y'all

That's our word

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

I don't ask my parents for money??

smart move, diminishing the principle reduces the interest piling up

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Depressio111117 posted:

My immediate family and my boyfriend’s immediate family are scattered all over the country. No matter where we get married, it’s going to be a destination wedding for more people than not, so why not get married in Hawaii? :shrug:

You're supposed to strategically locate your wedding such that the distance from each family member is proportional to how much you dislike them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

therobit posted:

OTOH most angry, sex starved shut-ins actually do not murder people.

I realize that, but they're angry and unbalanced at their core. The consequences vary between having to listen to toxic bullshit all the time to actual violence. And the fact that this guy is literally freaking out about his friend meeting a girl means he's closer to the latter than the former

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The only reason I'd ever have a destination wedding would be to ensure that no one would come

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Depressio111117 posted:

Here in this thread of making fun of brokebrained idiots, alas, we have created one

'one' lmao

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
I [32F] Suspect My Best Friend Of Drugging My Husband [35M] Over an Argument

quote:

I'll preface this by saying my husband lives with mental illness. He has been medicated and living a very happy, healthy life for the past 15 years, never misses his medication and it is extremely rare he has any complications and when he does they are minor. However, before he was medicated he'd suffer from hallucinations and violent outbursts. Please don't tell me to flee my husband, I will not. We are a unit for better or worse, I know him, trust him and love him.

My husband and my closest friend who I'll call Sara have been at odds for the past few weeks due to an argument caused by her breaking a laptop he had lent her and me taking his side. Despite this, we invited Sara over for a Halloween party with our close friends we were having a few days ago as I wanted to keep the peace and get things back to normal. The night was going well until my husband overheard Sara telling a mutual friend that she had made a fair amount of money selling items online and followed her into the kitchen to privately ask her if that meant she could replace his laptop. Sara got upset that he'd ask her at the party which led to both of them raising their voices, and I intervened.

This led to a blow-up with Sara yelling at both myself and my husband, accusing him of driving a wedge between the two of us (incredibly untrue, she did that herself) and calling my husband greedy and all sorts of names. My husband told her to leave our home, and excused himself from the room to calm down and interact with our other friends. Sara and I had a brief argument where she called me a bad friend for not sticking up for her, at which point I also asked her to leave and joined everyone else.

Sara left a few minutes later and everything was great. My husband went back into the kitchen to get his mug and within minutes he started becoming increasingly agitated, sweating and dealing with visual hallucinations similar to how his mental health episodes used to manifest. We excused ourselves to our bedroom to talk and he became incredibly distressed and ordered me to leave. I did, and minutes later he tore the door off the bedroom and came downstairs screaming at everyone and throwing things. My husband is normally very strong man, and when he deals with these outbursts he becomes unnaturally strong, it took all our male friends to subdue him and calm him down.

Our friends have been incredibly understanding. They stayed with us until he regained his composure and have been in touch 24/7 since. All of them have said how incredibly out of character this was for him. Again, he has never, ever missed his medication, never drinks alcohol or takes drugs and has not had an incident like this in a very long time. The reason I suspect Sara is that she uses hallucinogenic drugs in her personal life, was the only one left unattended with his mug in the kitchen after their argument and has been radio silent since this event, she hasn't answered mutual friends either. Sara also knew of his mental illness and made several comments to me that night about how he was "crazy". I believe this was an attempt by her to get me to distrust my husband. Once again, this is incredibly out of character for him, he is not careless at all.

My husband is once again functioning as he should, but he is incredibly depressed. He has called off of work and stays in bed apologizing to me, he feels like he has personally failed as a partner and all his hard work over the years is for nothing. He keeps telling me he'd understand if I left him. How do I convince my husband I love him and believe him, and that I'm not going anywhere? It kills me to see him like this, what can I do to make him feel valued, loved and assure him that he is still every bit the man I have loved and I don't fear or resent him? How can I encourage him to go to a doctor to see if Sara did this, and how do I thank our friends for supporting my husband and I?

TL;DR strongly suspect jilted friend drugged my husband to trigger his mental illness. Husband is inconsolable and I need to know how to support him.

Edit I'm also not alone in my assumption. The vast majority of mutual friends between Sara, my husband and I share my suspicions.

Hm yeah your friend managed to have a small amount of drugs on her that just happen to kick in in 10 minutes after drinking and exactly mirror a breakdown by your husband.

:thinkface:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

La Brea Carpet posted:

I [32F] Suspect My Best Friend Of Drugging My Husband [35M] Over an Argument

Hm yeah your friend managed to have a small amount of drugs on her that just happen to kick in in 10 minutes after drinking and exactly mirror a breakdown by your husband.

:thinkface:

Yeah because she planned the whole thing because she’s in love with the OP, it’s gonna be a great movie in ten years after Sara kills them both and makes them into chairs

BloodRed posted:

Pick turns another man insane

Let’s be fair, it’s 2018, women can have big dick energy too

bell jar posted:

more like big pick energy

:hmmyes:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ftr this said "get raped", because this poster here is allll class

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Blade Runner posted:

Alright guy your kid is creepy as poo poo

yeah I dunno kid is probably normal. Especially the last thing, kid prob just saw mom watch a scary movie and then get scared irl so she does that to help. If it went down like that I'd be really pleased with my kid. The doll thing, I'd just be like "eh maybe you could just give them to somebody else? You know they can just move out?" The walking around in the dark thing I dunno we would need like actual details.

Fuckin leaping to exorcism is bad news gently caress that poo poo. Burn like sage or something or if you're a real out there weirdo talk to your goddamn kid and have some sort of rapport with your child so you can understand their mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Mom is by definition a moron if she thinks a baptism accomplishes anything in terms of behavior modification

She’s still probably smarter than to think ‘Big Dick Energy’ would be a good username or to post ‘get raped’ online