Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Funnily enough I'm watching DS9 for the first time and just watched Take Me Out last night.

I do not give a single solitary poo poo about baseball, i know nothing about its rules or culture

But that episode was a whole lot of fun

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is actually an instruction to the Magmarians not to overheat.

I like the little warning signs in STO

They actually did a better job on exhaling vs inhaling than the real Star Trek.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No smoking?

So vaping is A-OK!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On Vulcan humour, TAS 1x5

Kirk: Well, what do we do now?
Spock: We could always throw Tribbles at them.
Kirk: I thought Vulcans didn't have a sense of humour.
Spock: We don't.
Kirk: *eyebrow raise*

Also, Kirk removing increasingly larger Tribbles from his chair.

ed: giving up when the Tribble is bigger than he is

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 2, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
One of the only episodes of SG-1 I ever saw was a clip show but it was done very well. Robert Picardo had just been sworn to in as president, in his first day in office, and then a military dude comes in and is like "Ok now we need to brief you about aliens. They exist, here's a summary of all our contact with them" followed by a summary of show events with clips. And Picardo reacting like "well holy poo poo".

The other episode I saw was one where the muscle man with the gold forehead thing has to live in the suburbs for some reason and saved the neighborhood from petty crime while winning the hearts of neighborhood moms? Also very fun.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 2, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

This is actually an instruction to the Magmarians not to overheat.

I like the little warning signs in STO

They actually did a better job on exhaling vs inhaling than the real Star Trek.

ESD gets blown up twice in (in-setting) six months in STO, so that would explain why those signs are around.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On Vulcan humour, TAS 1x5

Kirk: Well, what do we do now?
Spock: We could always throw Tribbles at them.
Kirk: I thought Vulcans didn't have a sense of humour.
Spock: We don't.
Kirk: *eyebrow raise*

Also, Kirk removing increasingly larger Tribbles from his chair.

ed: giving up when the Tribble is bigger than he is

That episode is legit great. Like it's a for-real awesome episode.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't trust anyone who willingly skips Take Me Out to the Holosuite. I understand not enjoying baseball. Most baseball fans don't enjoy baseball for 50% of the season, but how could anyone not enjoy just watching the cast flail around trying to play an extinct sport?

Plus, Cowboy Odo West.

I just love how the actors are all playing their characters, and their characters are, in turn, acting out the roles of 'this is how we think baseball players act.' It's delicious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Al Borland Corpse posted:

One of the only episodes of SG-1 I ever saw was a clip show but it was done very well. Robert Picardo had just been sworn to in as president, in his first day in office, and then a military dude comes in and is like "Ok now we need to brief you about aliens. They exist, here's a summary of all our contact with them" followed by a summary of show events with clips. And Picardo reacting like "well holy poo poo".

The other episode I saw was one where the muscle man with the gold forehead thing has to live in the suburbs for some reason and saved the neighborhood from petty crime while winning the hearts of neighborhood moms? Also very fun.

It was William DeVane playing the president, Picardo heads up the International Oversight Advisory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually seems like a lot of TAS episodes end with sick burns from Spock.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually seems like a lot of TAS episodes end with sick burns from Spock.

Spock is downright catty sometimes. Nimoy and Lenard understood that Vulcans control their emotions, they aren't organic robots.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Honestly if you liked that stuff you'll probably dig the show. Yeah it was on for ages so eventually it got lame, but it was cool and good for many years!

Tealc (gold forehead man) is fun, he's the token really strong Worf alien who gets beat up but he also has to learn to be human so he gets some cool episodes and scenes.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

corn in the bible posted:

Honestly if you liked that stuff you'll probably dig the show. Yeah it was on for ages so eventually it got lame, but it was cool and good for many years!

Tealc (gold forehead man) is fun, he's the token really strong Worf alien who gets beat up but he also has to learn to be human so he gets some cool episodes and scenes.

Indeed.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The team behind Teal'c were keenly aware of Worf's failings as a character and this becomes obvious as his badass quotient increases exponentially through the series

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
He took like a basketball or a brick or something and casually chucked it like half a kilometer knocking out some would be purse thief, it ruled

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Funnily enough I'm watching DS9 for the first time and just watched Take Me Out last night.

I do not give a single solitary poo poo about baseball, i know nothing about its rules or culture

But that episode was a whole lot of fun
Most of the characters don't know poo poo about baseball either, which is fun. I love when they're going over the more esoteric rules and are just flummoxed as all hell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He took like a basketball or a brick or something and casually chucked it like half a kilometer knocking out some would be purse thief, it ruled

And then he nails Lois Lane

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

Most of the characters don't know poo poo about baseball either, which is fun. I love when they're going over the more esoteric rules and are just flummoxed as all hell.

Reminds me of how I was trying to explain the rules of baseball to a friend this year when we went to a ballgame (they had very little familiarity with it) and I had to explain the dropped third strike rule, the rule about it not being a hit by pitch if you were swinging at it, and so on and so forth because almost every esoteric thing that could happen in a ballgame happened in that one game.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And then there was a balk and you went, "Don't worry, I don't know, either."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fortunately the infield fly rule basically never comes up in practice because it's just saying "intentionally failing to catch a ball is the same as catching a ball" but in a really confusing way

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CPColin posted:

And then there was a balk and you went, "Don't worry, I don't know, either."

I'm pretty sure a balk is just a rule for an umpire not liking a team that day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kibayasu posted:

I'm pretty sure a balk is just a rule for an umpire not liking a team that day.

:hmmyes:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

facebook groups can be good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
people who love star trek, make wonderful things.

- cap-janeway

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

people who love star trek, make wonderful things.

- cap-janeway

Mistakes into miracles

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Star Trek spinoff about janeways salamander kids joining the academy

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Along similar lines:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Awwww :3:

so guys, what's the absolute worst book of all the Star Trek novels?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't read enough to answer that but I've read enough to know that's one loving hell of a question. Are you sure you want to do this to yourself Pick? Are you okay?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pick posted:

Awwww :3:

I have read way too many of them, although I started in the late 1990s and I have not read all of them, but the one that I think of is Peter David's 'Before Dishonor'.

So it's a Voyager/TNG book (mostly VOY) where Starfleet finds a dormant Borg cube (this is post-VOY) and sends Admiral Janeway to take a look at it. It was a sequel to an earlier book called Resistance (a TNG novel) where the Ent-E found a new Borg cube and Picard briefly had to become Locutus again or something, it was not good.

The long and short of it is that this Cube reactivates, literally absorbs Janeway into itself (because somehow these Borg have evolved to be able to assimilate by absorbing objects into the Cube), and Janeway becomes a Borg Queen. The rest of the book is Starfleet, Picard, and Seven of Nine trying to stop this new super-advanced Borg, which is finally ended with Janeway dying. Except that Janeway is not dead, her body is gone but her consciousness is rescued by Lady Q (Q's wife or whatever) from oblivion. Janeway gets resurrected down the line when Q's son has to sacrifice himself to stop the entire multiverse from destabilizing and one side-effect of that is Janeway comes back.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

I remember thinking that Mutiny on the Enterprise and Crisis on Centaurus were pretty bad, but I don't remember why. It's been quite some time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

The long and short of it is that this Cube reactivates, literally absorbs Janeway into itself (because somehow these Borg have evolved to be able to assimilate by absorbing objects into the Cube), and Janeway becomes a Borg Queen. The rest of the book is Starfleet, Picard, and Seven of Nine trying to stop this new super-advanced Borg, which is finally ended with Janeway dying. Except that Janeway is not dead, her body is gone but her consciousness is rescued by Lady Q (Q's wife or whatever) from oblivion. Janeway gets resurrected down the line when Q's son has to sacrifice himself to stop the entire multiverse from destabilizing and one side-effect of that is Janeway comes back.

If Lady Q is on your side, why is anything a problem?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It was also part of the post-Nemesis TNG novels where they'd been trying to introduce new characters to fill in the gaps caused by Riker and Troi leaving for their own ship and Data being dead. Except Peter David apparently decided, without consulting with anyone else, that he was going to have all the new characters try and mutiny against Picard because they didn't like the plan he comes up with to stop the Borg.

So all the new characters ended up having to be written out of the series in the next book because they'd all been turned into insubordinate idiots.

Also, the Borg destroy Pluto. And there's a brief scene where a Federation ambassador tries to negotiate with the Borg, announces 'peace in our time', then immediately gets killed, because lol diplomacy is for pussies, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
not pluto!!!!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

not pluto!!!!

Who cares? It's not even a real planet anyway!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Who cares? It's not even a real planet anyway!

Nice avatar/post combo.

What about the TNG/X-Men crossover? (not to be confused with the TOS/X-Men crossover)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Man From Pluto had to be stopped somehow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

While looking over the list of the old Pocket Books TOS novels to find terrible ones, I noticed a few I remembered really liking:

Dreadnought! and its sequel Battlestations!. Remember the TNG episode Lower Decks? It's kind of like that, but in TOS.
Uhura's Song. The gang goes for a lengthy adventure on a planet of cat people.
Vulcan's Glory. An adventure of Captain Pike, Number One and Spock set sometime during the era of The Cage. Written by D.C. Fontana, no less.

Granted, these impressions are from when I was in junior high school, so don't put too much stock in them. (The premise of Uhura's Song in particular makes me worry that it might actually suck and I just had terrible taste.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I only ever read the numbered Pocket books and some of the non-numbered ones and while I’m pretty sure very few of them qualified as good I don’t remember any of them being bad. I guess Shatner-Trek series was probably the worst but if it was “written” by anyone else I’d have probably just read over the Kirk fawning.