Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

KakerMix posted:

I'm spergin' out hard on the inaccuracies of this

A Dyna is not a Hilux is not a Land Cruiser is not a Dodge Ram is not what looks like a Ford F350 :argh:

missed a perfectly good chance to say how you had problems with the technical aspects of it shaking my drat head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nuevo posted:

Is it just me or have the Binky guys been watching a little This Old Tony? :raise:

They name dropped AvE a while back too :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

A Dyna is not a Hilux is not a Land Cruiser is not a Dodge Ram is not what looks like a Ford F350 :argh:

There's definitely some Fords in there (I see at least 3, plus that armored Dodge), for whatever reason. I'll give the FJ and medium-duty Toyota a pass, since it does say "Toyota Trucks" not "Hilux".

Speaking of medium-duty trucks, I ran across a '95 or so Isuzu NPR at a swap meet for $4500. It was one with the Chevy 5.7 Vortec (pre-LS), and a hydraulic dump flat bed. I was sorely tempted to get it to fulfill my pickup/towing/hauling niche. If it had a roll-back, it would have been a done deal.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have learned so much from watching Binky. They're like metal wizards.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Brackets inside the crankcase!

Perfectly machined brackets!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder if any rich people have offered to buy Binky after the lads have had their fun.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
If I buy a mug do I get partial ownership?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Brackets inside the crankcase!

"We've got a flexible shaft enclosed in a housing, to prevent oil fouling, driven by a toothed belt on the crank counterweights"

E:

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I wonder if any rich people have offered to buy Binky after the lads have had their fun.

As long as it doesn't get used for parts like poor Miss Daisy

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 2, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Double post

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

boxen posted:

God they haven't even TALKED about what they're doing to the engine. Is it a turbo? I don't remember. I'd think they have to go NA at this point, just because it doesn't seem like there's room for turbo piping, but I thought they've mentioned turbos in older videos.

I'm guessing they're not going to get crazy with power, since it's supposed to be a road car and doesn't have a cage.

I think I remember them measuring the turbo for clearance towards the start.
And they have cage mountings already in the car. :getin:

dreesemonkey posted:

Project Binky fans will be rewarded with another installment this afternoon. It's another engineering doozy :psyduck:

I sent this exact screencap to my friend yesterday.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Serperoth posted:

I think I remember them measuring the turbo for clearance towards the start.
And they have cage mountings already in the car. :getin:

I sent this exact screencap to my friend yesterday.

God, the best part about that picture is the fact that all that work isn't for something exotic like remote turbo or something, it's just for the alternator and A/C compressor.

I love Roadkill for what it is, but how many times have they just been "welp, don't have time to rig up charging, we're just going to swap batteries every ten miles". The shows are diametrically opposed in how they approach problems, and I love them both for it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really enjoyed watching Binky, but I do wonder if there wasn't an alternate way to do things. Maybe with running the drive across the front and using a custom manifold? Though in "this is a ridiculous solution" terms, I'd have been very tempted to gundrill the camshafts and run concentric shafts through them to drive the accessories. Or make a rearmount turbo system that's really an APU.

KakerMix posted:

Also, they completely missed out the STRAYA oval office tree.

The Door Frame posted:

As long as it doesn't get used for parts like poor Miss Daisy
In fairness, Miss Daisy was built purely for the purpose of knocking out the video, and they already built a better drag car.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
You have to daily one or the other.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Killstick posted:

The longnose, with a V1710.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The top one looks like a Deora but made for desert running instead of beach chilling. The other one is straight up a penis.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

^^^ My dude :hfive:

Gimme that cabover. And then stuff a big boosted V8 in the back. Modern day Deora :allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
the cab over except extremely uniroincally

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Forward Control 4x4s are the poo poo. I'm still annoyed at Suzuki for not building the X-Head.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Maker Of Shoes posted:

the cab over except extremely uniroincally

:hai:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Killstick posted:

I imagine you get in the cab-over in the same manner as boarding a boat, where you climb into the tailgate by a ladder, then climb into the cab through a hatch, where the middle seat would be, and there's four captain's chairs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

please pretend my posting is only 99% bad. :v:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Killstick posted:

The only serious answer to this serious question in the longbed cabover. It looks loving badass.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

boxen posted:

God, the best part about that picture is the fact that all that work isn't for something exotic like remote turbo or something, it's just for the alternator and A/C compressor.

I love Roadkill for what it is, but how many times have they just been "welp, don't have time to rig up charging, we're just going to swap batteries every ten miles". The shows are diametrically opposed in how they approach problems, and I love them both for it.

I love Binky because there is just no compromise. The negative half connector to plug the connector into on when the flip front is off? That's pro-level work. That's the kind of thing you see on weapons mounts and FLIR turrets and (other) things that are incredibly well-built, well-designed, and where money is not one of the top five motivating factors. Actual welded tabs that mate up with connector halves, all factory-like. Welded cable tie brackets instead of sticky-backs. All just gloriously intricate attention to detail that makes this a car that is easy to fix and maintain later.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

All just gloriously intricate attention to detail that makes this a car that is easy to fix and maintain later.

You never have to maintain a car that isn't done being built
taps_temple.jpg

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I really enjoyed watching Binky, but I do wonder if there wasn't an alternate way to do things. Maybe with running the drive across the front and using a custom manifold? Though in "this is a ridiculous solution" terms, I'd have been very tempted to gundrill the camshafts and run concentric shafts through them to drive the accessories. Or make a rearmount turbo system that's really an APU.

Also, they completely missed out the STRAYA oval office tree.

In fairness, Miss Daisy was built purely for the purpose of knocking out the video, and they already built a better drag car.

Miss Daisy is one of my dream cars though, and as much as she was just built for novelty, it sucks to know that she was just parted out in the end

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

Miss Daisy is one of my dream cars though, and as much as she was just built for novelty, it sucks to know that she was just parted out in the end

Okay no, Miss Daisy was NOT parted out. The engine was returned back to the owner but the car itself resides with a MCM fan who is working remotoring Miss Daisy and making it 100% street legat

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay no, Miss Daisy was NOT parted out. The engine was returned back to the owner but the car itself resides with a MCM fan who is working remotoring Miss Daisy and making it 100% street legat

Thank God, the keep talking about using parts from Miss Daisy and it broke my heart

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Modus Man posted:

The only serious answer to this serious question in the longbed cabover. It looks loving badass.

It has the feel of a future soldier esque program from Turkey or Indonesia. It's really cool. Any truck that doesn't look like a big boy twuck is a win in my book of trucks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Killstick posted:

Latter.

Look at the size of that crumple zone.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Modus Man posted:

It's like one of those really weird soviet trucks

11/10 would drive the silverado moon truck everyday

VV
how would that even work
Two diesel v12s in tandem?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 3, 2018

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The second one only if every inch of the engine bay was full of engine.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Nuevo posted:

Is it just me or have the Binky guys been watching a little This Old Tony? :raise:

And the Skid Factory Boys...

I think the main reason they hoiked the motor out of Miss Daisy for other purposes was that it was a legitimately terrifying car. I cant even begin to imagine how much of a handful 300kw is on 50yr old volkswagen suspension...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

how would that even work

Vee Seventeen Ten.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

VV
how would that even work

Dozens of single cylinder motorbike engines. Total output rated in liters of oil leaked per hour.

E: please tell me the driver of that perches in front of the engine and peers out through the bars of the grill

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wasabi the J posted:

I imagine you get in the cab-over in the same manner as boarding a boat, where you climb into the tailgate by a ladder, then climb into the cab through a hatch, where the middle seat would be, and there's four captain's chairs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

It's like one of those really weird soviet trucks

11/10 would drive the silverado moon truck everyday

VV
how would that even work

Dual L83s mounted transversely to drive the front wheels, two more longitudinally for the rears.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

The other one is straight up a penis.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dreesemonkey posted:

Project Binky fans will be rewarded with another installment this afternoon. It's another engineering doozy :psyduck:

I only had time to watch binky now and holy poo poo. This photo becomes way more impressive in context when you realize they had to fabricate all this to mount the alternator and AC compressor, with the latter causing a lot of extra work and them just refusing to drop such a useless accessory to make their lives easier.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mobby_6kl posted:

I only had time to watch binky now and holy poo poo. This photo becomes way more impressive in context when you realize they had to fabricate all this to mount the alternator and AC compressor, with the latter causing a lot of extra work and them just refusing to drop such a useless accessory to make their lives easier.

You can pry air conditioning from my cold, lifeless hands.

Yes I know they’re in England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Aircon is still useful here, it's not essential, but it's nice to have.