Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, Big Mouth is good. Doesn’t mean everybody has to like it. But it’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

It's not a masterpiece or anything but decently entertaining.

Though I am slightly embarrassed at how funny I find Ricky. There's just something about his voicework that just tickles me. The voices are pretty good in general, David Thewlis needs to do more voice acting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5YeOc0N6Ao

Well this trailer doesn't go where you expect it to

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Macaluso posted:

oh i get it

"da skies"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Macaluso posted:

does that count as body horror?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I would be totally underwelmed for this except the origin is a short film called 'Pigeon Impossible' by a guy named Lucas Martell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEjUAnPc2VA

Lucas graduated from music school but at some point decided he was gonna make a short animated film and spent 5 years learning everything required to do it by himself. And now it's getting adapted as a feature film. That kind of singular vision and work ethic, even if it's about something silly like a spy vs a pigeon, is impressive. Glad he's been successful.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ccs posted:

I would be totally underwelmed for this except the origin is a short film called 'Pigeon Impossible' by a guy named Lucas Martell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEjUAnPc2VA

Lucas graduated from music school but at some point decided he was gonna make a short animated film and spent 5 years learning everything required to do it by himself. And now it's getting adapted as a feature film. That kind of singular vision and work ethic, even if it's about something silly like a spy vs a pigeon, is impressive. Glad he's been successful.

This is pretty drat cool.

Also, Tom Holland, Will Smith...I'm ready for this. It may not be the best animated movie of 2019 but it looks fun and that's pretty much how I felt about Rio 1 and 2 so yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ccs posted:

They should have led with that, a bad pun would get me on your side way quicker than "an animated film about a spy WAIT GOTCHA he's a stupid-looking bird now!"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"pigeon impossible" would probably breach copyright, which is as strong an argument as any against copyright

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Macaluso posted:

Oh look, another animated movie with a POC protagonist that gets transformed into a cute animal so movie-goers don't have to be vaguely uncomfortable about watching a not-white protagonist, but the company still gets credit for being so progressive. whoop whoop. Let's just put it in the pile with Princess and the Frog and Mother Bear and Emperor's New Groove.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh look, another animated movie with a POC protagonist that gets transformed into a cute animal so movie-goers don't have to be vaguely uncomfortable about watching a not-white protagonist, but the company still gets credit for being so progressive. whoop whoop. Let's just put it in the pile with Princess and the Frog and Mother Bear and Emperor's New Groove.

oh no!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

uh what

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Look, I've noticed a trend in Disney (actually I think it was pointed out somewhere in this thread that this happens) so seeing the same exact thing happen again bothers me.

e: also the movie I was thinking about was Brother Bear not Mother Bear. Whatever.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

ishikabibble posted:

So the Netflix animated comedy "Big Mouth" came up in conversation and I had to look up images from the show to prove a point about how godawful repulsive it looks and uh

...So is it actually good?? Or are reviewers just weirdly into shows about children talking about how they'd like to gently caress.

I think the AV club has a rule against rating anything lower than a B+.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

paradoxGentleman posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking, but couldn't articulate what was bothering me while watching the trailer. "Man, I really would rather have watched the movie without the twist, it seems a little... unpleasant." Yeah, that specific scenario does seem to happen quite a lot. Also he should at least be a black pigeon but that's just aesthetic coherence rather than anything problematic. Also also, his lips being so high and close to his nose kinda grosses me out, but that's just character design I guess.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

I think the AV club has a rule against rating anything lower than a B+.

Really? I've seen so many Cs and Ds from them, and they have a ridiculous rule about never awarding A+s. But I haven't read them in a few years so maybe they've become soft in the meantime.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Big Mouth may be ugly. It's also gross at times. But it is good. The second season especially.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm not sure David Spade could be any whiter if he tried.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The pigeon thing is a huge disappointment. The spy fantasy has always been cartoonish, and realizing it in CGI without jokes and gags like Despicable Me works fantastically. The spy action part of the trailer would have been great for a full hour.

pigeon part feels like they feel like CGI is for kids and they cannot sell this without funny animals. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels a little cheated with seeing action scenes that are that good and then getting at last second that it's probably all we'll see of them in the movie.

Doubt that they turned him into a pigeon because he's black. It's cgi Will Smith, he sells movies. Hell, my first thought was "Is this a Men In Black reboot or something".

Whatever, glad the guy gets to make his dream... pigeon... movie. But I don't want to watch a pigeon movie, I want to watch spy movie.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I agree, Double 0 Smith is better than pigeon shenanigans.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 2, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ishikabibble posted:

So the Netflix animated comedy "Big Mouth" came up in conversation and I had to look up images from the show to prove a point about how godawful repulsive it looks and uh

...So is it actually good?? Or are reviewers just weirdly into shows about children talking about how they'd like to gently caress.

Big Mouth does what it's trying to do well, and that is to be an adult gross out comedy with progressive themes. It's not for everybody, but it you're into that kind of stuff then you should probably check it out.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I understand what, you're getting at, but it seems a little unfair to lump Emperor's new groove in there. Yes, Kuzco is turned into a llama, but Pacha stays human the entire time and is just as much of a POC protagonist as Kuzco, which is to say "ambiguously brown and from a fantasy kingdom that vaguely resembles both Peru and the Aztec empire".

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 4, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Look, I've noticed a trend in Disney (actually I think it was pointed out somewhere in this thread that this happens) so seeing the same exact thing happen again bothers me.

e: also the movie I was thinking about was Brother Bear not Mother Bear. Whatever.

Yeah, Mother Bear was about the Scots.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pocahontas and Mulan didn't get turned into animals.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Moana also didn't get turned into an animal.

Lilo either but apparently Hawaii hates Lilo and loves Moana so...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I was hoping that the pigeon aspect is just a gag sequence in the film, with the general premise being Spy Shenanigans with over the top gadgets. But if it turns out the elevator premise is 'Spy turns into bird', then my enthusiasm is deflated.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Whatever, glad the guy gets to make his dream... pigeon... movie. But I don't want to watch a pigeon movie, I want to watch spy movie.

I mean, technically, it's a spy movie that has the main character become a pigeon, since pigeon movies are not a genre, so I imagine there will be spy movie things happening, just being done by a pigeon.

But yeah this does feel more like the premise of an Animaniacs series than it's own movie.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I understand what, you're getting at, but it seems a little unfair to lump Emperor's new groove in there. Yes, Kuzco is turned into a llama, but Pacha stays human the entire time and is just as much of a POC protagonist as Kuzco, which is to say to say "ambiguously brown and from a fantasy kingdom that vaguely resembles both Peru and the Aztec empire".

Alright, fair. Pacha is as much as a protagonist in Emperor's New Groove as Kuzco is. I retract that particular point.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pocahontas and Mulan didn't get turned into animals.
You're right! Pocahontas is terrible whitewashed garbage for completely different reasons.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Moana is what I'd consider a step in the right direction. Same goes for Lilo and Stitch. Although I do wonder why people from Hawaii don't like it.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 3, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hahaha, this is the second avatar that someone buys me out of spite. I wonder how many am I going to accumulate over time?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I mean, technically, it's a spy movie that has the main character become a pigeon, since pigeon movies are not a genre, so I imagine there will be spy movie things happening, just being done by a pigeon.

:colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, I thought it was Japan that hated Lilo. Hawaii too? What reason do they have?

Edit: looking around way more people were upset about Moana than Lilo, I think you might have this backwards.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 3, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I was about to say, I'm pretty sure when this thread mentioned a country, state or territory hating Lilo but loving Stitch, it was Japan. Something about how her lashing out in frustration as a coping mechanism for her parents' deaths isn't being the ideal little girl who should keep it all bottled up (which strikes me as incredibly unhealthy to force upon a kid who recently lost both her parents, but thaaaaaat's different cultures for you), which makes her terrible, or something. Meanwhile, Stitch is hilarious, more Stitch please.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hahaha, this is the second avatar that someone buys me out of spite. I wonder how many am I going to accumulate over time?

Joke's on them because Sleepaway Camp's funny as hell and that particular actress is the best part.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But yeah this does feel more like the premise of an Animaniacs series than it's own movie.

From what I saw in the trailer, the pigeon stuff feels like a waste of a perfectly good Will Smith.

Shadow Hog posted:

I was about to say, I'm pretty sure when this thread mentioned a country, state or territory hating Lilo but loving Stitch, it was Japan. Something about how her lashing out in frustration as a coping mechanism for her parents' deaths isn't being the ideal little girl who should keep it all bottled up (which strikes me as incredibly unhealthy to force upon a kid who recently lost both her parents, but thaaaaaat's different cultures for you), which makes her terrible, or something. Meanwhile, Stitch is hilarious, more Stitch please.

Say what? Japan had their own anime series based on Lilo and Stitch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's not spite, that's just the punishment avatar everyone who failed the October horror challenge received.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cockmaster posted:

Yes, which not only mostly revolves around Stitch, but Lilo is actually just outright replaced with another character(a Japanese girl).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cockmaster posted:

From what I saw in the trailer, the pigeon stuff feels like a waste of a perfectly good Will Smith.

that's the point - Japan loves Stitch, but they don't like Lilo very much.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I finally had a chance to watch that pigeon trailer and I, too, lost interest when the cool spy turned into the pigeon. I wanna watch the cool spy. I don't know what the story would be, but bring back the cool spy. Maybe Army of Darkness him so he can be cool in the Middle Ages, but now he has to learn to deal with this goddamn demon magic nonsense? I don't know. Show me a man stepping seamlessly into a drifting car and ignoring an explosion behind him for 90 minutes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Moana is what I'd consider a step in the right direction. Same goes for Lilo and Stitch. Although I do wonder why people from Hawaii don't like it.

Beachcomber posted:

Wait, I thought it was Japan that hated Lilo. Hawaii too? What reason do they have?

Edit: looking around way more people were upset about Moana than Lilo, I think you might have this backwards.

I remember an article that someone wrote after talking to Polynesian people and Hawaiians right after Moana came out. A lot of them didn't like Lilo and Stitch and said Disney just didn't understand their culture and made Lilo some weirdo and a few were offended by her.

They all preferred Moana to Lilo and Stitch in how it was a love-letter to their culture where as Lilo and Stitch was just "weird girl who just happens to be Hawaiian finds an alien. Hilarity ensues.". Some even seemed really pissed at Disney for Lilo and Stitch.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
A lot of people seem to be upset that Lilo has issues and isn't the 'perfect' little girl. Hell, I remember my sister saying she hated the movie because of how Lilo was acting up
She'd been watching it with her young son so that might've been a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of people have no empathy and will only really discover it when something truly unspeakably horrible happens to them.