Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I want Susie and Noelle to get together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

there was a distinct lack of smooching in this game, come to think of it

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Your Computer posted:

there was a distinct lack of smooching in this game, come to think of it

Monster girl smooching.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

also man idk if it's using a keyboard and being rusty, or I'm just rear end, but I'm making slower pogress on jevil than I did sans

Game runs 1.5x as fast in fullscreen mode making fights harder. Try it out in windowed if you aren't in windowed already

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bifauxnen posted:

yay I finally caught up! In all the talk about what's the deal with RK, did no one seriously mention yet that apart from the whole "rules card" thing, he looks like he tried to give himself a cool edgy Kingdom Hearts name? It's like DAARRK SOUL +X

I tried to come up with one to joke about but gave up.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Welp, finally finished it.

uhhhhhh. Yeah.

Time to read some poo poo and learn about all the content I missed

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MagusDraco posted:

Game runs 1.5x as fast in fullscreen mode making fights harder. Try it out in windowed if you aren't in windowed already

Oh. That's why it felt like I couldn't dodge in time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Aren't those characters children?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dias posted:

Oh. That's why it felt like I couldn't dodge in time.

yeah physics/movement of everything is timed to framerate. Windowed it runs between 27 to 30 fps. Fullscreen it runs at 48 fps. Fullscreen with gsync enabled runs at 7-8 fps.

edit: They're teens BotL. Teens go on dates.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why yes, they are.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Underrated: Toriel freaking the frick out about Asriel kissing a girl

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't know why but it amuses the hell out of me that Asriel listens to Five Iron Frenzy.

("Religious ska" CDs under his bed)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
To add to the Kris is depressed and suicidal theory when the coin bosses heal themselves the game says that they know how to properly self-care. There are exceptions but the main usage of that term is for people dealing with depression.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

To add to the Kris is depressed and suicidal theory when the coin bosses heal themselves the game says that they know how to properly self-care. There are exceptions but the main usage of that term is for people dealing with depression.

It also marks a recurring theme because a few of the post-credit enemy blurbs in Undertale use a lot terminology associated with depression and suicide.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Disappointing to hear there's not much done past the demo/Chapter 1, but I'm happy I got to play what was given anyway. It definitely still works on its own, I enjoyed it thoroughly, and I'll gladly buy it the moment the full product eventually comes out.

Definitely bought the OST immediately though. I agree with liking a lot of the individual tracks like Field of Hopes and Dreams, but the one that's digging roots in me after listening to it a bunch at work today is probably Susie's leitmotif because I'm a sucker for both Susie and leitmotifs. It starts out slow and threatening in "Susie" when you first meet her and she seems on the surface as a bully. It appears more upbeat during "Lancer"/"Vs Lancer" to hint towards the two having a lot in common and eventually becoming friends. "I'm Very Bad" is just an bad imitation of "Susie" because Lancer is just playing along and emulating Susie but doesn't have any of the actual threat that comes with it. It becomes full of rage during "Vs Susie" at the thought of the only person she related with betraying her, as well as it eventually turning into more of a sad rage when it comes out that neither of them really want to fight. It plays cautiously during "Card Castle" as a dual purpose of being Lancer's/Spade King's home (full of hostile guards to sneak past) as well as being in relation to Susie toeing the water with learning to ACT instead of FIGHT in order to keep her promise to Lancer. Finally (as far as I've heard, I'm not too good at spotting them everywhere) it shows up during "Chaos King" as part of a leitmotif mix which works as a darker version of "Lancer" to show how he is a real threat compared to Lancer's games, a challenge for Susie to see if she can really follow through with finding a peaceful answer against an enemy that only wants to fight (for Lancer's sake), and a hint towards how the Spade King won't actually go through with a peaceful finish.

On a separate note, any bets on what page the thread becomes as toxic as the original Undertale thread and gets locked? :shittydog:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think teenagers? And to preempt an implied question I think it's okay for people to enjoy possible relationship hints in stories about teen school days, as that is a very common topic of teen school stories.

Dias posted:

I'll add that "undertale but trump is president" to me is more a joking way of saying that it'll explore undertale's themes of positivity, perseverance and non-violence in a world that has made it harder and harder to stick to those feelings since UT was released.

Plus what was said above: if Toby didn't want the themes of Undertale to reflect on this game, well, we wouldn't have used the characters from Undertale.

Yeah, I don't think you need to take "Undertale but Trump" literally, as in Toby Fox bellied up to his writing desk two years ago and started taking an axe to his 'Undertale 2: Friendship Still Great' script. The shift in tone just dovetails well with larger trends over this same timeframe, as does transitioning from childhood to more troubled teenage years.

The Dark Realm adventure being a mini-Undertale that took Susie on an arc while also being suspiciously flat, simplistic and artificial (still fun! just probably more than it seems) also seems like an unavoidable meditation on the previous game, it's just hard to draw out exactly what it's trying to say since this is only Chapter One. Kris having darker issues of their own below the surface that were not addressed by the adventure might be a comment on Undertale not being "enough", in a way.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Cephas posted:

Susie is a magical girl.

Could we delete the whole rest of this thread and just lock it with only this part of this post? Thanks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

The Dark Realm adventure being a mini-Undertale that took Susie on an arc while also being suspiciously flat, simplistic and artificial (still fun! just probably more than it seems) also seems like an unavoidable meditation on the previous game, it's just hard to draw out exactly what it's trying to say since this is only Chapter One. Kris having darker issues of their own below the surface that were not addressed by the adventure might be a comment on Undertale not being "enough", in a way.

Building on that: Not only is Undertale not "enough" for Kris, but Kris seems to be deliberately using this Undertale type situation to deliberately avoid dealing his their emotions. They're intentionally taking their soul in and out and letting someone else control them as a form of escapism.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think someone in this thread wanted a picture of Frisk, Chara, and Kris's sprites:

Taken from here: http://nochocolate.tumblr.com/post/179694345904/the-humans

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that all of the sprites have one leg wider than the other because of the outline separating them. The fake create-a-character at the start giving you like 5 leg types and they're all exactly the same with one leg wider had to be like that on purpose, to bug people like me who can't unsee it :allears:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Given the similarities between smile sprites and body color/shapes, as well as how Susie slowly warms up to you over the course of the adventure, my completely and absolutely not wrong theory is that Susie's parents are Alphys and Tsundereplane.

Fite me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Building on that: Not only is Undertale not "enough" for Kris, but Kris seems to be deliberately using this Undertale type situation to deliberately avoid dealing his their emotions. They're intentionally taking their soul in and out and letting someone else control them as a form of escapism.

Games are escapism you say? :thunk:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CJacobs posted:

I like that all of the sprites have one leg wider than the other because of the outline separating them. The fake create-a-character at the start giving you like 5 leg types and they're all exactly the same with one leg wider had to be like that on purpose, to bug people like me who can't unsee it :allears:

I think the one on the very end is different, but only because it's the same thing but reversed.

I'm not sure about that though, I'd have to go back and check.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

I think the one on the very end is different, but only because it's the same thing but reversed.

I'm not sure about that though, I'd have to go back and check.

I remember it being like that as well.

I think someone in this thread wanted a picture of Frisk, Chara, and Kris's sprites:

Taken from here: http://nochocolate.tumblr.com/post/179694345904/the-humans

Note: Kid Asriel's shirt has a bunch of yellow stripes on it, but the overworld sprite only shows two of them. I don't have the color codes though.
This means that's either not a hand-me-down, or Asriel originally had both striped shirts and Chara was sharing his clothes in Undertale.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I spent a shameful amount of time on the leg selector trying to figure out how they were different and I still can't say for sure if they were.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought only the fifth one was.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah they’re all identical except that the last one is flipped horizontally

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

No Wave posted:

I thought only the fifth one was.

The fifth one is flipped horizontally.

e;
Okay since I was slow on that one, I also like the blood type selection was low effort and telegraphed the loudest how the options are pointless.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

The fifth one is flipped horizontally.

What difference does a stance make? The lore implications may run deeper than we can possibly follow...

(also blood type deals are super popular in Japan, so it works there pretty well)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...considering the color choices I'm moving away from my original impression that Kris is the Fallen Child of Deltarune. Seems more likely Kris is the Frisk of Deltarune. There's the age difference at play as well. Asriel and Chara were very similar ages in Undertale so wouldn't Kris be in college too if that was their "role"?
So... what happened to the Fallen Child in Deltarune? Strong implication so far that Kris was with the family before the divorce and there's only two beds, so it can't be that the Fallen Child died resulting in the divorce and then Kris got adopted after. Maybe the two characters are merged into one in this story?

I liked how the blood type question asked you what your favorite one was, not what yours was.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

McFrugal posted:

Note: Kid Asriel's shirt has a bunch of yellow stripes on it, but the overworld sprite only shows two of them. I don't have the color codes though.
This means that's either not a hand-me-down, or Asriel originally had both striped shirts and Chara was sharing his clothes in Undertale.

The overworld and battle sprites for Asriel's shirt both have a different number of stripes, but you're right that neither of them match Kris's shirt.

This, however, does:

So yeah, Kris is wearing a sweater that has Asriel's colors that's styled after the one Asriel was wearing the first time he met the first fallen child.

Symbolism!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my favourite kind of food is pain

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

My blood type is C

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

...considering the color choices I'm moving away from my original impression that Kris is the Fallen Child of Deltarune. Seems more likely Kris is the Frisk of Deltarune. There's the age difference at play as well. Asriel and Chara were very similar ages in Undertale so wouldn't Kris be in college too if that was their "role"?
So... what happened to the Fallen Child in Deltarune? Strong implication so far that Kris was with the family before the divorce and there's only two beds, so it can't be that the Fallen Child died resulting in the divorce and then Kris got adopted after. Maybe the two characters are merged into one in this story?

I liked how the blood type question asked you what your favorite one was, not what yours was.

This isn't Undertale and there's no indication that there was another child.

It's not a divergent timeline Undertale where X event didn't happen, it's a separate universe.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

McFrugal posted:

I don't think it's worth trying to hunt for the Fallen Child of Undertale too specifically in Deltarune - Kris and ther home-life situation seems to be unique, even if it parallels Frisk or Chara in elements. I don't think either of the other kids exists naturally in this world, nor have their personal stories played out here.

The only way I'd expect one of them to pop up is if Toby decides to make good on Chara's genocide promise of moving on to the next world and pops up for people with tainted Undertale saves. Frisk in the True Pacifist route has had their happily ever after ending and doesn't need to get involved here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, for now I'm assuming that Kris is filling the roles of both Chara and Frisk in this particular universe and the genuine articles probably won't be showing up. Time will tell of course.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm sure if you asked Toriel nicely she would pack some breadsticks into your school lunch bag

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Captain Crunch?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nah you ask for a hot curry at an Indian place run by actual Indians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU