Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

Has WoW done something new to chase it's players away?

Yes. They released an expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The tank in my last run of Bardam's had the most tank anxiety I've ever seen but they also had all DoW/DoM classes at level 70. How is that possible after playing the game that much? Account buyers are universally oblivious to the trouble they cause so I'm not sure if it's that.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

The tank in my last run of Bardam's had the most tank anxiety I've ever seen but they also had all DoW/DoM classes at level 70. How is that possible after playing the game that much? Account buyers are universally oblivious to the trouble they cause so I'm not sure if it's that.

bardam's mettle hits like a runaway dump truck

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
even when the tank and healers are geared, the first pull in bardam's is some spicy poo poo

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

bardam's mettle hits like a runaway dump truck

Not if you do single pulls the entire dungeon. They were legit worried they would ruin the run because they never tanked this before and started the dungeon by saying "If I screw up tanking too much I'll leave". It was like they started the dungeon with a panic attack in progress.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Ive got everything at 70 and still dont like/not good at healing. Leveling up is easy

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Thundarr posted:

Short answer is that WoW's writing has always been uneven. Quest arcs can be great. Zone arcs can be pretty good. Anything bigger tends to run the gamut of okay to awful. It's a mix of just plain bad writing combined with stereotypical western fantasy tropes that WoW has embraced too long to let go of. And the faction split.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Captain Cappy posted:

Not if you do single pulls the entire dungeon. They were legit worried they would ruin the run because they never tanked this before and started the dungeon by saying "If I screw up tanking too much I'll leave". It was like they started the dungeon with a panic attack in progress.

Some people can't handle the Enmity.
Sometimes it's because they themselves are a big proponent of 'you are a bad tank and thus you are bad and should feel bad' vocalizations/opinions.
Most of the time it's performance anxiety.

apostateCourier posted:

RDM isn't that hard, why is this one so afraid of pushing the buttons that make damage happen? Two casts of verstone, total? What? Only six holys, and no flares? What??

Verholy is better than Verflare in every metric that matters :colbert:

The real crime is only doing six of them. That's like, one opener's worth of Verholy on each boss. Even in crazy WTFDPS Boss Dead in 4 min situations I manage at least 3 per boss!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Argas posted:

Short answer is that WoW's writing has always been uneven. Quest arcs can be great. Zone arcs can be pretty good. Anything bigger tends to run the gamut of okay to awful. It's a mix of just plain bad writing combined with stereotypical western fantasy tropes that WoW has embraced too long to let go of. And the faction split.

Isn't it mostly gameplay grievances, I can't really imagine a scenario where any significant amount of people would decide whether or not to play WoW because of its writing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kanfy posted:

Isn't it mostly gameplay grievances, I can't really imagine a scenario where any significant amount of people would decide whether or not to play WoW because of its writing.

There are definitely gameplay grievances but there's definitely been more than a few goons who've cancelled their subs in part due to the direction of the story. WoW's story has never been a selling point but this is a pretty low point from what I've seen.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I read the bitching thread because I am generally less enamored with ff14 currently and need to be reminded what I left and the 2 major complaints are that gearing is a complete pile of bullshit rng now and that they completely hosed up the levelling experience so even if you wanted to roll alts to escape the gear treadmill it still sucks.

Edit: Unrelated to this, bardaams hosed me up pretty bad when I got to that level range while levelling tanks. Expected to just hang out in 270 shire gear until 56 and was going to roll with my str jewelry until 70 (going back to str on tank gear still a real harebrained change) and I had 2 or 3 instances where I just got completely rocked. Had to craft 54 gear and make some shameful vit accessories.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 2, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Argas posted:

There are definitely gameplay grievances but there's definitely been more than a few goons who've cancelled their subs in part due to the direction of the story. WoW's story has never been a selling point but this is a pretty low point from what I've seen.

Let me rephrase that, there's literally zero chance any legitimately significant amount of people would quit playing WoW because of "bad writing combined with stereotypical western fantasy tropes". FFXIV is much more story-focused and I would not buy that claim even for this game, most people simply don't feel that strongly about their MMO lore. They might complain about it, but only a very small minority would quit altogether because of it.

If people start quitting in droves then something's gone awry in the gameplay aspect, and that's definitely where most of the complaints I've heard about have been aimed at when it comes to WoW's latest expansion. After that people will attach "...and the writing sucks too which is even more a reason to quit", but it'll always be a distant secondary concern.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Hey all, my husband and I have been playing this game pretty reliably each day for about a month now (hit 70, got to 4.3 before diving way into alliance raids). We started with a group of friends that have... well, mostly disappeared. We started on Aether because of those people but now we think we should just restart on Primal. My dilemma is: should we roll new dudes on a road to 60 world or just dive into Excalibur since we are looking for that sense of community? I know you can party cross-world but it really isn't the same, especially for things like hunting and maps. Anyone have any insights and/or suggestions for FCs on Malboro, Famrit, or Brynhildr if we decide to go that route?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mord's post was timed with a few people in the WoW lore thread not liking the direction of future content which is timed with the release of another trailer focusing on a character and their characterization that they feel has gone to poo poo and is going in a direction they do not like.

Perhaps it's a coincidence. I'm not saying there's going to be a general WoW exodus, and even a shift of, say, a dozen people who care about lore in the WoW goon population barely makes a dent.

But the timing for it is there.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Oh god no. :gonk:

The playerbase is bad enough as-is!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Primpin, why not just pay to server transfer your current characters? I like FFXIV a lot, but I’d never want to do everything over again on a fresh character.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Hey all, my husband and I have been playing this game pretty reliably each day for about a month now (hit 70, got to 4.3 before diving way into alliance raids). We started with a group of friends that have... well, mostly disappeared. We started on Aether because of those people but now we think we should just restart on Primal. My dilemma is: should we roll new dudes on a road to 60 world or just dive into Excalibur since we are looking for that sense of community? I know you can party cross-world but it really isn't the same, especially for things like hunting and maps. Anyone have any insights and/or suggestions for FCs on Malboro, Famrit, or Brynhildr if we decide to go that route?

Transfer to Excal - more people than you can shake a stick at and a guild for all types of players.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

Primpin, why not just pay to server transfer your current characters? I like FFXIV a lot, but I’d never want to do everything over again on a fresh character.

Hmm, I guess I misread that you can't transfer from an Aether world to a Primal world? Well, that makes it an easier decision for us then.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Whoops, double post. Quote =/= edit. :)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kanfy posted:

If people start quitting in droves then something's gone awry in the gameplay aspect, and that's definitely where most of the complaints I've heard about have been aimed at when it comes to WoW's latest expansion. After that people will attach "...and the writing sucks too which is even more a reason to quit", but it'll always be a distant secondary concern.

I quit WoW because of the story.

Admittedly it was more of a 'oh look another straw to put on the camel's bac- OH MY GOD HOW MANY STRAWS HAVE I BEEN PUTTING ON THIS POOR THING OVER ALL THESE YEARS!?' sort of deal. All of the small little annoyances added up until I just couldn't get invested anymore.

Lore is important for long-term investment. I'm invested in FFXIV's lore, ergo I still play the game :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Captain Cappy posted:

Did you get partnered with me?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Thundarr posted:

the payoff to the sylvanas being warchief over the past 2 expansions is basically garrosh 2.0

and from what i understand theyre gonna have arthas’ sister who is now a undead light zombie and looks like a human with glowy eyes replace her... and anduin essentially lets that happen because he’s gonna be indirectly in charge of the horde now too somehow.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

They released an expansion

edit: this is what i get for not making sure i was on the last page

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Are there other MMOs with a good story like FF14?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

No.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ither posted:

Maybe the secret world, maybe. I didn't play much of it but I remember liking the writing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The Secret World's dialogue and characterization are top tier. Gameplay and graphics felt a bit rough.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ither posted:

The Old Republic, maybe, but that while going interesting places sometimes it's never quite on the level of KotOR2 in part because of the simplified dialogue choices can be distracting

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I thought Secret World got shut down, but I guess it just went F2P, huh.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Doomhammer posted:

Actually I think you were right on both counts-- it got shut down then was brought back to be F2P

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CYBEReris posted:

The Old Republic, maybe, but that while going interesting places sometimes it's never quite on the level of KotOR2 in part because of the simplified dialogue choices can be distracting

Some of the swtor class stories (agent, some of warrior) are genuinely quite good. The rest of the story, class and otherwise, I would rate as “good for an mmo” but not as good as most normal rpgs (and certainly much worse than a book or a film)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Doomhammer posted:

It went free to play, then they launched a version with a refined combat system. So there's two versions of it now, the refined combat system one is slowly getting new content.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Both TSW and TOR are good choices (not great choices but pretty much all you're getting) for story driven mmo's.

I do recommend you grab a buddy and duo them. I also recommend TSW more then TOR.

TSW: Go Illuminati or Templars. The Dragon try to be weird for the sake of weird and its more endearing on a second run through.
TOR: Go Imperial Agent (either alignment) or Light sided Sith Warrior (also be a woman, it makes for a happier feeling with the other women in your team :3:) for a good time.
The first if you want a spy story set in a universe with loving space wizards ruining everything.
The latter if you want a sort of "good cop in a bad empire" mixed with constantly suprising people with your convictions and restraint while also heaping scorn on others.

The rest of the classes are fine stories but they lack just that bit extra that Agent and light sided warrior gets.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I quit WoW because of the story.

Admittedly it was more of a 'oh look another straw to put on the camel's bac- OH MY GOD HOW MANY STRAWS HAVE I BEEN PUTTING ON THIS POOR THING OVER ALL THESE YEARS!?' sort of deal. All of the small little annoyances added up until I just couldn't get invested anymore.

Lore is important for long-term investment. I'm invested in FFXIV's lore, ergo I still play the game :colbert:

The point he’s making is you are in a vanishingly small minority of players, and he’s right. BFA sucks because they refuse to do basic solutions to problems they solved in the first expansion. RNG with no sanity checks in the form of currency gear and no decent crafted gear, plus a limited roll armor piece with some sadistic design choices is why people are stopping playing BFA, not the story. The story is pretty standard for Warcraft in general, and if you think this is a step down then you have some thick rear end rose tinted glasses that hid all the dragon rape.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
On the flipside, at least you'll be able to slam your head into the brick wall that is WoW Classic eventually.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm going to finish this loving Midan caster glam if it's the last thing I do, god drat it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I'm going to finish this loving Midan caster glam if it's the last thing I do, god drat it.

Use Party Finder, not Duty Finder.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Use Party Finder, not Duty Finder.

You don't pay his sub.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

faptown posted:

You don't pay his sub.

I'm a they, not a he. :eng101:

Also there's nobody in the party finder doing Alexander, and I'm okay with sitting in a queue and watching videos while waiting for it to pop (which it finally did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thyrork posted:

The first if you want a spy story set in a universe with loving space wizards ruining everything.

It's a great story because it's from the POV of the middle-management military/bureaucracy of a society whose founding government principle is "the elite ruling class should be a bunch of evil wizards who stab each other in the back constantly". Now I want to reinstall