Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1058358148233355264

al-azad posted:

I haven't really played an FE game so what makes it stand out for you beyond like Tactics Ogre? I would say the most interesting implementation I've seen in an SRPG is some game whose name I can't even remember (Sword Queen Something???) where to attack you actually move through enemies so there's a lot more tactical depth than walking up on someone's flank to smack them. The emphasis is on speed and maneuverability which works perfectly for a Game Boy Advance game.
You're thinking of Rondo of Swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nothing can ever be as bad as Gears of Funko Pop and that EPIC ESPORTS MOBILE GAME SHOUTCAST from this year's e3

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bethesda really tries hard to make people hate them sometimes.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've always imagined being a marketing exec is really easy because it apparently doesn't really matter what you do

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just only announce phone games forever

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

also, go ahead and lay SRPG recs down on me I know I haven't played a lot of them

FFT

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

also, go ahead and lay SRPG recs down on me I know I haven't played a lot of them

Master of Monsters, the game that would most directly inspire Battle of Wesnoth. Similar heavy RNG to what wesnoth would do later, but the aesthetic is very strong. great visuals on all the weird monsters you can summon, and great music.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
imo the only srpg you need is the stragtegy battles from suikoden 2. the one where all your hit rates are <30% and enemies' are all >70 because of a math error

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

no

Venuz Patrol posted:

Master of Monsters, the game that would most directly inspire Battle of Wesnoth. Similar heavy RNG to what wesnoth would do later, but the aesthetic is very strong. great visuals on all the weird monsters you can summon, and great music.

I don't know anything about Wesnoth so this doesn't really help me much

Really Pants posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4

I've played VC1 and plan to play 4. It hits two other notes that I forgot to mention in my effortpost: objective-based maps, and unique characters instead of generics

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty ambivalent about piranha plant being a playable character, but does Nintendo think that people like Petey Piranha? DO people like Petey Piranha? I was actually thinking about this a day or so before the announcement, for reasons I can't remember.

Upon people first talking about it, I thought it was Petey piranha and was totally uninterested. Then I watched it and saw it was a literal potted plant and was immediately stoked because it's just such a dumb idea that is perfect for Gamemaster Anthony's Birthday: The Game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What about Vandal Hearts 2, the SRPG where both your units and the enemies move at the same time

I'm sure there are other strategies but I'd leave one unit with their back turned to my foes in a very obvious bait, then move someone to attack the empty spot behind them while they got out of there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Upon people first talking about it, I thought it was Petey piranha and was totally uninterested. Then I watched it and saw it was a literal potted plant and was immediately stoked because it's just such a dumb idea that is perfect for Gamemaster Anthony's Birthday: The Game.

The part in the Direct where they were like "all these other characters from those other games will be in here as spirits trapped in the other universe" made me think about that

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't actually played Tactics Ogre. It has the same basic system as FFT right?

in the way characters move and do actions, but the job systems and such are very different. the remaster on the PSP is an incredible game

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Ogre battle: march of the black queen and ogre battle 64. Mix of pausable real time strategy manuever and then effectively turn based squad on squad combat. I don't think any srpg's have tried it again since the 90's (though a few pc wargames have sorta done similar without rpg mechanics)

Really, I would like to see it done with fewer squads than either of the ogre battle's did but more fine control over squad combat

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
An actual good SRPG I'd recommend would be Soul Nomad, which I think is the last one I finished back when I still had my Ps2 because I never had much patience for the genre.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I will say that most of the reasons you like fire emblem are explicitly things I dislike about FE, they're too deterministic and almost solvable for me, which is why I think about them more as puzzle games, so take this with a grain of salt. but Tactics Ogre is a pretty good place to start, its pretty similar mechanically to FFT (because it was made by the same people) but I honestly prefer TO structurally. the sequel on GBA is pretty good also. any of the Front Missions, but particularly 1 and 3, the battle system isn't too special but it offers a ton of customization for your mechs. there are lots of good games that lean more towards the RPG side but still have tactics combat like Shining Force. I'll spare you the complete list of very good NIS games but Phantom Brave is a really unique game that I like a lot, Soul Nomad is excellent too but plays more like a typical NIS game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wasn't Code name STEAM supposed to be pretty decent

al-azad
May 28, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

in the way characters move and do actions, but the job systems and such are very different. the remaster on the PSP is an incredible game

I really wish every turn based game would implement rewind. Most people are going to quicksave/load, just let me do it naturally you cowards!

So yeah I don't know if I would be in love with Fire Emblem because it seems more strategy than tactics. Even though you're moving single units one by one, a big part I look for in the genre is the importance of like terrain and moving around a 3D map. Tactics Ogre takes this to the extreme where seemingly innocuous things like the terrain you're standing on influences magic, but even in FFT I love manipulating the turn tracker. "How cute, you're casting fire on me, I'll just walk in between your healer and share the damage."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

cheetah7071 posted:

Front Mission 1, 3 or 4
Yggdra Union
Gungnir

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fire Emblem is cool and good cause it's more like a board game imo

Valkyria chronicle 1 is insanely good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's also the Overlord games if you want something real-time, but they're not at all like Fire Emblem or FFT. They're more like a mix of Pikmin and Fable.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 3, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are SRPGs a Japan-only phenomenon?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

cheetah7071 posted:

- Jagged Alliance 2 (get version 4870 of the 1.13 fanpatch, the devs went full retard after that one)
- Silent Storm
- X-Com '94
- X-Com '12

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

nah, although the western interpretation is more heavily RPGish. a lot of SRPGs come from tabletop games, things like fallout and the recent shadowruns with turn based combat and maneuvering I'd call SRPGs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Those feel very different to me

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I think I’ve played every NIS SRPG since Disgaea 1 but Phantom Brave was the only one I beat. Probably because the leveling exploits are more intuitive.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I really like Makai Kingdom, but probably largely due to it being a huge mess

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Most western approaches are more Advance Wars and less fire emblem, i.e. de-emphasizing rpg mechanics in favor of more pure strategy (apart from those imported from tabletop like space hulk)

I'm pretty sure ds advance wars outsold ds fire emblem in the west, while the reverse was true in japan.

That said there's still several with actual rpg mechanics, like fantasy general, jagged alliance, xcom, and silent storm

Myriarch fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 3, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Those feel very different to me
they're distant cousins for sure. but there are japanese games like Arc the Lad (and kind of Shining Force but less so) that just play like regular JRPGs up until the point you get into battle and then go into full grid based strategy mode, which IMO is very similar to what those western games do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Master of Magic was really good iirc

Most of the Heroes of Might and Magic games are also super good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

like no one was calling the SSI gold box games "SRPGs" at the time because they just played like tabletop D&D, it was nothing special, but pool of radiance and the buck rogers games and stuff totally fall in line with SRPGs spiritually IMO

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
Oh goodness how could anyone forget Heroes of Might and Magic, especially III, which is quite literally the best game ever made by anyone ever.

Darn it precision I type too slow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i have never played a homm game nor do i know what they are

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You like Valkyrie Profile 2, right? Did you ever try Covenant of the Plume?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I really wish every turn based game would implement rewind. Most people are going to quicksave/load, just let me do it naturally you cowards!

So yeah I don't know if I would be in love with Fire Emblem because it seems more strategy than tactics. Even though you're moving single units one by one, a big part I look for in the genre is the importance of like terrain and moving around a 3D map. Tactics Ogre takes this to the extreme where seemingly innocuous things like the terrain you're standing on influences magic, but even in FFT I love manipulating the turn tracker. "How cute, you're casting fire on me, I'll just walk in between your healer and share the damage."

I would actually say FE leans almost exclusively on tactics, not strategy. My favorite maps all emphasize within-map strategy (as opposed to between map strategy that you'd get with things like skill trees or whatever) but the meat of the game is turn by turn tactics because the correct strategic move is usually obvious. You're rarely at a loss for what your short term goal is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Phantasium posted:

You like Valkyrie Profile 2, right? Did you ever try Covenant of the Plume?

Yeah and I like it a ton

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played HOMM after King's Bounty and preferred the latter.

If you're including those types of games I thought the Expeditions games were pretty good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

like no one was calling the SSI gold box games "SRPGs" at the time because they just played like tabletop D&D, it was nothing special, but pool of radiance and the buck rogers games and stuff totally fall in line with SRPGs spiritually IMO

Yeah and those hold up surprisingly well though they're pretty anemic w/r/t class and spell options

The Dragonlance ones are the best

Heroes of MM 3 is the best but man I played the poo poo out of the game boy color port of 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In the tabletop world there's a distinct difference between strategy and tactics. Tactics is smaller scale, usually individual units, with a focus on terrain and individual details. XCOM and Jagged Alliance would be tactical games. Strategic level games are on a larger scale where the focus is more on logistics and formation involving a number of diverse units that typically represent a larger unit like a squad or battalion e.g. Advance Wars and Daisenryaku. Then you get hybrids like Ring of Red which is a strategy game but battles are played out at a tactical scale where movement and unit composition becomes important.

There are a lot of Western tactical games that blend RPG elements, but the strategy RPG really is more of a phenomena in Japan. Maybe it's because Western games were influenced heavily by wargames like Squad Leader which carried on into Laser Squad/XCOM.

• Locked thread