Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the easier thing to do with old mines is to just backfill them with wooden walls when you're done with them. anything that has 'overhead mountain' should get a wooden wall if you're not using it.

infestations can't appear if there's no ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can explore from day 1 as long as you have the right people.

Tribals get a bonus to foraging which means a tribal with some plants skill will be able to keep themselves alive indefinitely and bring back food in the process. Once your field is planted send your plant worker off to do a quest or something. A single man caravan will not attract much danger and probably won't get encounters at all most of the time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Started playing a couple days ago - how do you guys handle compare control in a temperate biome? Toggling heaters and coolers every season or temperature event gets old fast but my small base doesn't have quite enough power off a single geyser to leave both running simultaneously. Also not completely sure what temperature bands to be aiming for, right now I'm just leaving the default 21c for rooms and -10c for freezers.

Regarding kill box designs - what makes raiders ignore the side doors? Wouldn't your main entrance also have a door at some point so the entry 'cost' is the same? I definitely had raiders focus on busting through my air conditioners before I starting walling off their exhaust.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

isndl posted:

Regarding kill box designs - what makes raiders ignore the side doors? Wouldn't your main entrance also have a door at some point so the entry 'cost' is the same? I definitely had raiders focus on busting through my air conditioners before I starting walling off their exhaust.

Nope, thats the main thing. You leave your entrance open, Even if all your poo poo is still in sealed rooms inside your base, the open entrance is one less layer of poo poo for them to bust through, so they tend to funnel to it instead.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vasudus posted:

The way the game scales is always amusing.

I'm doing the exact opposite as everyone else right now - I started with 24 high skilled colonists kitted out with high tech biotics and military grade weapons. The idea being that I'm eventually going to plunder the entire world, which is getting increasingly hotter every year - my second winter right now has the average night temperature of around 100f. No friends, everyone that ventures into my territory gets either shredded or captured and experimented on. My mountain fortress is a monument to sin and decadence and raids get to be absolutely comical at this level of wealth. I had a psychic ship crash and 48 mechanoids came stumbling out - I had to destroy that one with artillery. My base defenses are walls of vulcan turrets and shield generators, my disposable army of horribly mutated prisoners keeps things distracted.

Since the world is basically ending as it gets hotter and hotter (until year 4, when it cycles back down) I've made an ark for all sorts of animals and have to have a massive indoor growing op to keep everything sustainable.

Interesting simulation of the last next hundred years on Earth...

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
What can I do to adjust animal spawn type/rate on the fly for a map in progress? Dinosaurs apparently don't spawn in advanced biomes mod's biomes, and there's no obvious patch. Can I edit it in manually or something?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

What can I do to adjust animal spawn type/rate on the fly for a map in progress? Dinosaurs apparently don't spawn in advanced biomes mod's biomes, and there's no obvious patch. Can I edit it in manually or something?

Check the Defs. Each dino in the mod has a tag in its XML like this:
code:
<wildBiomes>
				<AridShrubland>0.01</AridShrubland>
				<TemperateForest>0.01</TemperateForest>
				<TropicalRainforest>0.008</TropicalRainforest>
				<IceSheet>0</IceSheet>
				<BorealForest>0.008</BorealForest>
				<Tundra>0.006</Tundra>
				<Desert>0</Desert>
			</wildBiomes>
All you gotta do is stick the new biome types in there and set the... well, I don't know the context of the number, you'll figure it out. Since I'm pretty sure it runs animal spawners on a clock and it is not defined at worldgen, it should apply just fine.

edit: Rimworld generally has two ways to relate a pair of defs. In this case, either the dinosaur can choose its biomes, or the biomes can choose the dinosaur. The former is preferable in this case because you aren't needing to patch any existing XML to fit your addition, and it means that your addition will fit any edits of those biomes that don't change their defName.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 3, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nope, thats the main thing. You leave your entrance open, Even if all your poo poo is still in sealed rooms inside your base, the open entrance is one less layer of poo poo for them to bust through, so they tend to funnel to it instead.

Can't climate control it while it's wide open though? So you have a U shaped base as a result of leaving doors open, and maybe an extra outer shell layer to inflate the cost from other directions?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

isndl posted:

Can't climate control it while it's wide open though? So you have a U shaped base as a result of leaving doors open, and maybe an extra outer shell layer to inflate the cost from other directions?

Nah, you just don't climate control the corridors.

For example, here is my current colony:

The corridors are all "outside" (though they do have roofs)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

isndl posted:

Walls. You don't air condition your courtyard. But yeah, you should build all of your entrances as airlocks anyway to save your rear end against manhunter packs.

This is what happens when you fail to do so:

It took a solid couple of minutes to kill them all from inside the bunker with that much massed firepower. Thank god animal AI can't figure out impassable terrain that doesn't block weapons fire.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 3, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
of note: a held open door counts as an open space for raiders, so if you want to 'climate control' a corridor with a roaring bonfire to superheat any dumb gently caress that comes in you can just build a door and hold it open.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DrManiac posted:

So when should you start exploring the map? I finally got to the point of my colony is pretty stable when it comes to it's day to day operations (I have food, plenty of power, and the whole thing is walled off besides a kill box on the north entrance.)

I think I'm pretty much out of steel and components which is starting to hamstring what I can make.

I maintain that you shouldn't bother with inconsistent power sources, but if you insist on building windmills, mark their blockable area with growing zones (doesn't matter what you set it to, I used to do cotton or devilstrand once I had it researched; that keeps trees from growing and blocking them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I maintain that you shouldn't bother with inconsistent power sources, but if you insist on building windmills, mark their blockable area with growing zones (doesn't matter what you set it to, I used to do cotton or devilstrand once I had it researched; that keeps trees from growing and blocking them.

You can also use solar panels if you really want to double down on that. TBH I still do because a battery-enhanced Zzzt is a risk I'm willing to take to save consumable resources.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Coolguye posted:

of note: a held open door counts as an open space for raiders, so if you want to 'climate control' a corridor with a roaring bonfire to superheat any dumb gently caress that comes in you can just build a door and hold it open.

This works, usually they will just go through and ignore the door.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Warmachine posted:

Check the Defs. Each dino in the mod has a tag in its XML like this:
code:
<wildBiomes>
				<AridShrubland>0.01</AridShrubland>
				<TemperateForest>0.01</TemperateForest>
				<TropicalRainforest>0.008</TropicalRainforest>
				<IceSheet>0</IceSheet>
				<BorealForest>0.008</BorealForest>
				<Tundra>0.006</Tundra>
				<Desert>0</Desert>
			</wildBiomes>
All you gotta do is stick the new biome types in there and set the... well, I don't know the context of the number, you'll figure it out. Since I'm pretty sure it runs animal spawners on a clock and it is not defined at worldgen, it should apply just fine.

edit: Rimworld generally has two ways to relate a pair of defs. In this case, either the dinosaur can choose its biomes, or the biomes can choose the dinosaur. The former is preferable in this case because you aren't needing to patch any existing XML to fit your addition, and it means that your addition will fit any edits of those biomes that don't change their defName.

Oh cool thanks, I'll give it a shot. Shouldn't be too tough looks like. Also I just sort of assumed it was easily possible based on how you can do with Dwarf Fortress, glad it turned out to be so.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Rimworld is muuuuuuuuuuuuch easier to tinker with than DF.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

DrManiac posted:

So when should you start exploring the map? I finally got to the point of my colony is pretty stable when it comes to it's day to day operations (I have food, plenty of power, and the whole thing is walled off besides a kill box on the north entrance.)

I think I'm pretty much out of steel and components which is starting to hamstring what I can make.

Nice (accidental I assume) skull colony

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Warmachine posted:

You can also use solar panels if you really want to double down on that. TBH I still do because a battery-enhanced Zzzt is a risk I'm willing to take to save consumable resources.

Even then, there will still be empty space since vanilla solar panels are 4x4 and wind turbines make 5x wide lanes, so it's still a good idea to lay down growing zones.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So how do people build their bases generally? I see a lot of screenshot of everything in one superstructure but I've been doing separate buildings. Seems to be more anesthetic or realistic I guess.

I also have no idea what sizes my stockpiles need to be or what the best setup for crafting is. I've made it decently far in this map but we're basically eating rice + insect meat pemmican as fast as I can make it. One of my guys is researching electricity but he's been doing that for loving ages.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 3, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Anesthetic lol

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I also have no idea what sizes my stockpiles need to be or what the best setup for crafting is. I've made it decently far in this map but we're basically eating rice + insect meat pemmican as fast as I can make it. One of my guys is researching electricity but he's been doing that for loving ages.
You can build and use multiple research benches if you can support however many pawns doing research.

isndl
May 2, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Anesthetic lol

It dulls the pain of realizing your loving walls don't line up. :arghfist::saddowns:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Holy poo poo I didn't know multiple pawns could research at once.

McGiggins posted:

Anesthetic lol

Phone posting my bad.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's a grouped thing.

Also, I really wish the errors could be more useful in the debug log.

Added a bunch of mods, none of which affect world gen and now cannot world gen due to being unable to load module classes or something?. :psyduck:

More investigation is required.

Edit: it appears the alien framework mod is currently broken, as that's what was causing issues in pawn generation, which caused world gen to fail as pawns are generated as part of that.

RIP android start wherein I enslaved every single living thing I saw.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 3, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

McGiggins posted:

Yeah, it's a grouped thing.

Also, I really wish the errors could be more useful in the debug log.

Added a bunch of mods, none of which affect world gen and now cannot world gen due to being unable to load module classes or something?. :psyduck:

More investigation is required.

Edit: it appears the alien framework mod is currently broken, as that's what was causing issues in pawn generation, which caused world gen to fail as pawns are generated as part of that.

RIP android start wherein I enslaved every single living thing I saw.

I'm running a 1.0 game with the alien framework and androids just fine. I stopped playing 10 minutes ago.

Are you sure your stuff is up to date? Do you use steam workshop?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like to use that planning mod that gives you like six different color planning boxes to build out the majority of my base before the pods even land. Soon as the world spawns I hit pause and plan it out. Usually works out ok, unless the mountain I was planning on building in turns out to be like six tiles of rock and then a huge open expanse :argh:

Things I absolutely make sure I plan out: living quarters, rec room, kitchen + freezer, general storage, workshop, growing areas, hospital. Everything else I can add in later, though lately I've been planning my entire base out.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

I'm running a 1.0 game with the alien framework and androids just fine. I stopped playing 10 minutes ago.

Are you sure your stuff is up to date? Do you use steam workshop?

Yes and yes. The last couple of comments on the workshop page, allwithin the last few days seem to be having the same issue as well.

Testing bears it put. With the mod enabled, no worldgen due to pawn generation errors, without, no issues.

I can't see any mods I've added recently that would mess with pawn settings in anyway, so... :shrug:

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 3, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Is there a good mod (or just way to) outfit my dudes for a raid ie:

Raid alarm goes off, I can make everyone go change their outfits to armor etc then go to their spots on the Defensive positions mod?

Just not sure if I have to individually manage gear for each person before going out to defend or not. Seems tedious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That Works posted:

Is there a good mod (or just way to) outfit my dudes for a raid ie:

Raid alarm goes off, I can make everyone go change their outfits to armor etc then go to their spots on the Defensive positions mod?

Just not sure if I have to individually manage gear for each person before going out to defend or not. Seems tedious.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316142788 and https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541460369 paired together are exactly what you want.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I think the best you can do without mods is individually assign each colonist to a soldier clothing layout, draft/undraft them to get them to change clothing, and set their allowed area to stay inside the outfit area until everyone is prepped.

There's a lot of weird in-congruence in the UI where mass assigning behavior is really easy for some types of behaviors and it's a lot of tedious clicking for other types of behaviors.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vanilla content and balance is perfectly fine and rad for a playthrough but gently caress me if I can live without all the various UI mods and AI tweaks anymore.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I found the dumbest exploit.

Caravan speed is the average of all human/animals in the caravan.

Rabbits are very fast, can graze, and breed rapidly. This makes them ideal caravan additions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is entirely consistent with rimworld logic because if you saw a couple of humans wandering along with a swarm of rabbits surrounding them, would you attack them?

Bear in mind the insane lethality of swarm tactics in rimworld.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

OwlFancier posted:

That is entirely consistent with rimworld logic because if you saw a couple of humans wandering along with a swarm of rabbits surrounding them, would you attack them?
No, but I wouldn't expect them to move extra fast

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

ShadowHawk posted:

Clearly they're surfing over the rabbit avalanche.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cefte posted:

Clearly they're surfing over the rabbit avalanche.

This, however, IS consistent with Rimworld logic.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I love that exploit. It's why I like the horses and giddy up mods. With everyone on a horse, you can get up to 64 movement points on the world screen.

On a good road, anyway.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm also using the alien races mod with a half dozen races and android and everything works fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

That's just because they're swaggering through the wilderness behind a wall of rabbit flesh while normal caravans have to be cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

OwlFancier posted:

Bear in mind the insane lethality of swarm tactics in rimworld.

I still remember losing my very first colony to a swarm (of like 7) squirrels that bit my colonists to death 1 by 1