Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Force touch the lock screen and the planet swirls around and stuff.

Dynamic wallpaper is the floating bubble type thing they have as an option. Have the new phones gotten other ones than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

rio posted:

Dynamic wallpaper is the floating bubble type thing they have as an option. Have the new phones gotten other ones than that?

The OLED ones get HDR floating bubbles on a back background that look amazing.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The bubble wallpapers have bothered me since I noticed they were upscaled and sort of blurry.

I guess they have to do that on a live wallpaper cause it'd be impossible to playback smoothly at that resolution without burning up the phone. It could just look so much crisper on this display!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
When I upgraded my SE to the latest version it changed my static picture to dynamic and put it off-center. So changing it back to static just leaves it off-center and I have to re-download the picture again to fix it. Kinda silly. Also the stock wallpapers suck and I am disappointed there haven't really been better ones.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The new version of Shortcuts is a buggy piece of poo poo. My shortcuts that worked perfectly fine are now randomly breaking (“cannot be run in this environment”). I really do mean randomly. I can sit here and trigger it and watch it error out, but then if I try again later it suddenly works. The update made Siri sound like a beep boop robot and ugh.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

TraderStav posted:

Each kid should have their own Apple ID. Works fantastic in my house.

Family Sharing and individual accounts is the only intelligent solution.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why isn't Shortcuts an app that comes with? Seems weird that I had to download it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm waiting for the feature to be able to add shortcuts directly to the activities panel.

My "gently caress the youtube app and also gently caress the youtube website" shortcut works awesome but it's a lot of steps to actually get the video playing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

dissss posted:

Can you explain what you mean here?

Sure.

Displays are so good at this point that many people who would otherwise want an expensive, premium phone, may not want to drop 200 extra bucks on the OLED.

I guess that sounds obvious on its face, but it's not really something that you see much. All of the super-premium Android phones that I'm aware of rock OLED as a standard. Apple is the first to offer a phone that is essentially top-end, but explicitly with an LED panel.

This is a key point about the XR that still confuses people, particularly those who thought that the XR was going to be, or should be, a budget phone.

But in my mind, that misses the point. The XR is a premium phone. It just represents a new fork in the high end, which is phones that retain all or most of the top shelf features but make concessions on the panel specifically. A ton of people can't tell the difference or don't care about something like OLED, but they're still essentially premium-end customers who are willing to buy a premium device.

It's a subtle point, to be sure, but I think it's an important distinction that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 2, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Taima posted:

Sure.

Displays are so good at this point that many people who would otherwise want an expensive, premium phone, may not want to drop 200 extra bucks on the OLED.

I guess that sounds obvious on its face, but it's not really something that you see much. All of the super-premium Android phones that I'm aware of rock OLED as a standard. Apple is the first to offer a phone that is essentially top-end, but explicitly with an LED panel.

This is a key point about the XR that still confuses people, particularly those who thought that the XR was going to be, or should be, a budget phone.

But in my mind, that misses the point. The XR is a premium phone. It just represents a new fork in the high end, which is phones that retain all or most of the top shelf features but make concessions on the panel specifically. A ton of people can't tell the difference or don't care about something like OLED, but they're still essentially premium-end customers who are willing to buy a premium device.

It's a subtle point, to be sure, but I think it's an important distinction that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should.

I just received my new XR yesterday, and maybe it’s because I don’t know what I’m missing via the OLED screen, but this screen looks pretty drat impressive to me. I’m coming from the Nexus 6p, and I know that this is a lesser resolution, but I simply don’t seem to care. Looks fine enough to me, but I understand those who would pay a premium for a better one.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah. I mean don't get it twisted, the XS screen is ludicrously good. Like borderline perfect, really. But you're not going to miss what you haven't seen, and tons of people who HAVE seen it are still going to be like "ok whatever, that's not worth it/ I can't tell" etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Taima posted:

Sure.

The trouble is it is every bit as expensive as the previous high end models anyway - all Apple is doing is charging the same for a compromised product.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dissss posted:

The trouble is it is every bit as expensive as the previous high end models anyway - all Apple is doing is charging the same for a compromised product.

How exactly is it compromised?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Proteus Jones posted:

How exactly is it compromised?

By having a lower quality screen. Same as if the camera was worse, or it had a slower SOC or whatever.

Whether or not that particular compromise is worth it is up to you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Are you talking OLED v. LED or do you mean 8plus DPI v. Xr DPI?

Because other than the screen, no 3D Touch, and the single (still very fast) wide-angle lens, the Xr is identical internally to the XS. I’d say the price differential between the Xr and XS reflects that.

There’s nothing in the Xr that says “budget-tier”.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's also worth noting that Apple takes a bath on OLED due to being forced to source from Samsung

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taima posted:

It's also worth noting that Apple takes a bath on OLED due to being forced to source from Samsung

I thought they had a secondary source now and were 50/50 on orders.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dissss posted:

By having a lower quality screen. Same as if the camera was worse, or it had a slower SOC or whatever.

Whether or not that particular compromise is worth it is up to you.

The XR is a replacement for the 8. It's better than what it replaced.
The XS is a replacement for the X. It's better than what it replaced.

It's not "compromised", it's just a different tier. You can buy your way into the premium tier or just buy the regular phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Can't believe Toyota would put out a Corolla, a compromised Lexus sedan.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought they had a secondary source now and were 50/50 on orders.

There were indications of an LG partnership earlier but afaik Samsung produced most or all of the XS panels. If LG can get on Samsung's level in terms of panel quality, then that could change next year.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Can't believe Toyota would put out a Corolla, a compromised Lexus sedan.

That's not a great comparison but ok

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
The XR is this year’s mainstream phone, much like the 8 was last year. The LCD screen in the iPhone has always been of good quality, and the XR doesn’t appear to be any different in that regard. I don’t know why this is being discussed like some incomprehensible weird thing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

An 800$ phone is not mainstream by any reasonable definition

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In Apple world it is.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

In Apple world it is.

a $5,000 watch is mainstream because it’s mainstream in “Omega Watch World”

Got it. Good point. Insightful

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
You can call it the ‘standard’ model if that makes you feel better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Taima posted:

It's $749 and the iPhone is the best selling consumer product in history so uh, it's the textbook definition of mainstream?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Taima posted:

That's not a great comparison but ok

Fair, but the Camry is more than fair.

Taima posted:

Name another product that you use as much, is as vital to your life and is replaced as often with reasonable depreciation as an iPhone.

$800 over what, likely two years at a minimum? At 0% interest?

That's like saying a cup of coffee a day at the gas station is being super bougie.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The rule is that if your aunts or in-laws use a given piece of technology, It Is Mainstream.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
$800 - $1000 every two years (or more) for your primary computing and communication device is a total bargain. Things I will no longer own, likely forever, because I have a smart phone:

- a laptop or PC newer than 5 years old. Complicated spreadsheets aren't great on a smartphone
- a GPS unit for my car
- a nice camera for taking pictures of my kids
- a nice video camera
- a landline telephone
- an external hard drive
- an MP3 player

I'm sure there's more but this is what I could think of in two minutes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

Things I will no longer own, likely forever, because I have a smart phone:

- a laptop or PC newer than 5 years old. Complicated spreadsheets aren't great on a smartphone
- a GPS unit for my car
- a nice camera for taking pictures of my kids
- a nice video camera
- a landline telephone
- an external hard drive
- an MP3 player

I'm sure there's more but this is what I could think of in two minutes.

- what does a newer than 5 year old PC do that your smartphone replaces? if you don't play game or use the PC for workstation-type tasks, you still wouldn't need a modern one, smartphone or not
- ok
- phone cameras are still worse than dedicated still cameras
- phone cameras are still worse than dedicated video cameras
- you don't need a smartphone to replace a landline
- oh gently caress off you are not using your iPhone as a USB storage device for loose files or archival storage or bulk media or what have you, you are not casually tossing your iphone to your buddy to copy over linux ISOs or whatever
- ok

I get that people really need to justify their purchases to themselves and they really like their smartphone and I see nothing wrong with spending however much you drat well please on your pocket computer but - sorry for picking on you you're definitely not the only one online to make the argument - stop trying to say with a straight face that you'd go back to landlines without smartphones or pretending like you carried a dedicated video camera with you pre-2007.

BUT MUH PRIMARY COMPUTING DEVICE is such a tired argument. It's a new class of product, one that people want, sure.

Also don't pretend like the 12 year old using iPhone for Snapchat and 70 year old FaceTiming her granddaughter would instead be buying a dedicated high-end desktop PC for the same purpose.

edit: The argument also hinges on the assumption that miniaturization and compute power increases would continue unabated at pre-smartphone levels indefinitely. In alternate 2018 without smartphones existing, you would not be buying a new point and shoot every 2 years, you'd buy one and keep it for as long as it worked like people did with film cameras since the tech is no longer constantly evolving. You would not be buying a new PMP every 2 years, you'd buy one and keep it for as long as it worked since the tech is no longer constantly evolving. You would not be buying a new home PC for your Internet tasks every 2 years, you'd buy one and keep it for 8+ years as the tech is no longer constantly evolving, etc. *Wanting* the pocketable super-gadget of the 21st century doesn't mean that a financial argument makes much sense, you'd still do all the same stuff within the same budget, just differently.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 3, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also, none of those remaining points require a $800–1000 smartphone. The exact same points were covered by my trusty old SE W880i (which, coincidentally, still offers some substantial benefits over the current crop of smartphones).

An improvement in integration and ease of use has happened, but let's not kid ourselves over what smartphones — irrespective of purchase price — have actually added to the equation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pivo posted:

- what does a newer than 5 year old PC do that your smartphone replaces? if you don't play game or use the PC for workstation-type tasks, you still wouldn't need a modern one, smartphone or not
- ok
- phone cameras are still worse than dedicated still cameras
- phone cameras are still worse than dedicated video cameras
- you don't need a smartphone to replace a landline
- oh gently caress off you are not using your iPhone as a USB storage device for loose files or archival storage or bulk media or what have you, you are not casually tossing your iphone to your buddy to copy over linux ISOs or whatever
- ok

I get that people really need to justify their purchases to themselves and they really like their smartphone and I see nothing wrong with spending however much you drat well please on your pocket computer but - sorry for picking on you you're definitely not the only one online to make the argument - stop trying to say with a straight face that you'd go back to landlines without smartphones or pretending like you carried a dedicated video camera with you pre-2007.

BUT MUH PRIMARY COMPUTING DEVICE is such a tired argument. It's a new class of product, one that people want, sure.

Also don't pretend like the 12 year old using iPhone for Snapchat and 70 year old FaceTiming her granddaughter would instead be buying a dedicated high-end desktop PC for the same purpose.

edit: The argument also hinges on the assumption that miniaturization and compute power increases would continue unabated at pre-smartphone levels indefinitely. In alternate 2018 without smartphones existing, you would not be buying a new point and shoot every 2 years, you'd buy one and keep it for as long as it worked like people did with film cameras since the tech is no longer constantly evolving. You would not be buying a new PMP every 2 years, you'd buy one and keep it for as long as it worked since the tech is no longer constantly evolving. You would not be buying a new home PC for your Internet tasks every 2 years, you'd buy one and keep it for 8+ years as the tech is no longer constantly evolving, etc. *Wanting* the pocketable super-gadget of the 21st century doesn't mean that a financial argument makes much sense, you'd still do all the same stuff within the same budget, just differently.

Well said. I'm always irritated at that argument that is only used to justify spending. Don't delude yourselves, you bought it because it's shiny and flashy.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Why would sourcing the panels from Samsung make a difference? They’re just another supplier, same as for the rest of the parts.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Why would sourcing the panels from Samsung make a difference? They’re just another supplier, same as for the rest of the parts.

No, there is a significant quality difference. OLED panels are not interchangeable commodity parts. Apple invested heavily in LG to spin up more mobile OLED manufacturing but they are having difficulties matching Samsung's quality. They are currently the gold standard for good reason.

Think of the lithography process when manufacturing CPUs and other high performance ICs. Billions of dollars are poured into R&D and there are only a few market leaders. OLED manufacturing is similar in that the process is costly, difficult, proprietary and the ability to execute at a certain price point and level of quality is the main differentiator of manufacturers.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This discussion has weirdly shifted from an “is” to an “ought” argument and some of you are taking people’s spending priorities really personally. It started with whether the XR is aimed at everybody (compared to the XS).

The XR is definitely intended to be the Face ID edge to edge phone for everybody. $800, that’s a lot! you say. Yeah, it sure is. But Apple doesn’t stop selling iPhones after a year (most of the time). The 7 is still on sale. The XR is going to stick around and march down the price points. Like the 5C, it’s taking the place of the premium phone from the previous year, but unlike the 5C it’s not compromised on internals. That means it’ll last longer and be a better deal for longer.

I think smartphone buying habits are changing. I think fewer and fewer people are upgrading on the two year cycle. I think Apple thinks this too which is why they devoted a bunch of stage time at the iPhone event to the environmental lady saying they are trying to let us to use our devices for longer and why they targeted the 6S when developing iOS 12. It’s part of why they are pushing into services. They want you to buy their expensive things, use them for a long time, and pay into their various device ecosystems as a loyal monthly customer. And I think it informs the way they designed the XR.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 3, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

I think Apple thinks this too which is why they devoted a bunch of stage time at the iPhone event to the environmental lady saying they are trying to let us to use our devices for longer and why they targeted the 6S when developing iOS 12. It’s part of why they are pushing into services. They want you to buy their expensive things, use them for a long time, and pay into their various device ecosystems as a loyal monthly customer. And I think it informs the way they designed the XR.

They also introduced the vintage repair program and dropped unit sales from earnings reports going forward which is a pretty clear indicator they expect unit sales to go down as a result of these efforts (combined with the natural maturation of the market I assume).

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Taima posted:

Sure Samsung makes the best quality screens, but that’s a very different statement to the above. I’ve just seen this idea a couple of times but haven’t seen anything to indicate that Samsung’s screen manufacturing division doesn’t have a perfectly normal supplier/purchaser relationship with a major customer.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

Sure Samsung makes the best quality screens, but that’s a very different statement to the above. I’ve just seen this idea a couple of times but haven’t seen anything to indicate that Samsung’s screen manufacturing division doesn’t have a perfectly normal supplier/purchaser relationship with a major customer.
"Hi, we're the only people making the panels everyone is seeing in high-end Androids and being wooed by, you will pay $X"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
“Hi! We do huge volume and have buckets of money and a history of investing in companies to get them up to capacity, which will become your competitors. Want to shave that down a little?”

e: There’s a lot of negotiating power on both sides of that table, is what I’m saying.