Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

literally everything about everything D4 we've seen so far is 100% money grab, we'll see if they double down or backpedal hard next week i suppose

(lol they're doubling down and gonna make insane dosh for it, mark my words)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Imagine confusing a gaming convention where fans have paid hundreds of dollars to be there with a shareholder meeting

the suits are right in that this will make gangbusters in china. i just have no idea why they had to make my boy wyatt go out there to die for it

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow, Blizzard is terrible now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked Legion. That is the end of WOW then for me. rip.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
For the guys who are coming back to the game, WolfCyer made a Back to Basics playlist specifically tailored to get people who stopped playing at the start of RoS or earlier caught back up with the current mechanics and poo poo. Each video covers a different thing that you'll probably be confused about. It should be pretty useful for you.

Here is a link to the playlist, starting at the first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvBGdlEJ7k

Now back to alternating between laughing and :psyboom: over this dumb mobile game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dameius posted:

For the guys who are coming back to the game, WolfCyer made a Back to Basics playlist specifically tailored to get people who stopped playing at the start of RoS or earlier caught back up with the current mechanics and poo poo. Each video covers a different thing that you'll probably be confused about. It should be pretty useful for you.

Here is a link to the playlist, starting at the first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvBGdlEJ7k

Now back to alternating between laughing and :psyboom: over this dumb mobile game.

Well I'll be damned, that's exactly the sort of playlist I was hoping would exist, even with the earlier explanations. Thanks! :cheers:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Well I'll be damned, that's exactly the sort of playlist I was hoping would exist, even with the earlier explanations. Thanks! :cheers:

Yeah no worries, once you feel like you've got a hold of the new mechanics, WC has some good build guides as well. Though depending on which class you end up playing, there will be other streamers that would be a better fit. If you want to just go with the top generalist, Rhykker is the way to go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Aren't you guys ever so slightly overreacting?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

After spending a total of 5 seconds glancing at /r/diablo....

....no.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rinkles posted:

When asked whether there was ever going to be a PC version or now they stumbled for a few seconds before launching the iOS/Android pitch and then concluded with an impassioned yell of "Don't you all have phones?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yes, their apparent cluelessness has been hilarious

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Why are the D3 characters even in this garbage anyway?

Didn't they all show up in D3 because of the falling star? Also the wizard probably isn't even born yet.

Imagine having to close the opening ceremony with a mobile game. Brutal.

No witch doctor on release, but you can unlock him via 2500 HellBux

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

In a vaccuum the mobile thing would be just :nallears:

But the hilarity of how out of touch the Diablo team apparently is with it's own fanbase is stunning and it's a bit laugh-or-cry right now

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It wouldn't be that bad on its own but gamers are incredibly reactionary and extremely entitled, so knowing that and STILL deciding to have it during the keynote was incredibly lol and very stupid

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Rinkles posted:

Blizzard certainly isn't helping things by deleting negative comments off their Diablo Immortal youtube vids. They've been deleting comments for hours lol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As for D3, it finished dwonloading on the Switch so I've been at it about half an hour. On the one hand this is some fuckin comfort food, especially after the complexity of Path of Exile, but

on the other

god drat do you feel like a poo poo tier scrub weakling out of the gate :mad:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm sure it's been stated already in this thread but in case it hasn't, this isn't even a new game. They took an existing NetEase game called Crusaders of Light, and slapped Diablo 3 characters and skills into it.

Don't give me any poo poo about people overreacting or gamers being toxic, this is loving bad.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm sure it's been stated already in this thread but in case it hasn't, this isn't even a new game. They took an existing NetEase game called Crusaders of Light, and slapped Diablo 3 characters and skills into it.

Don't give me any poo poo about people overreacting or gamers being toxic, this is loving bad.

Unfortunately it's good business. I literally don't understand why game developers as a whole haven't jumped ship entirely to making lovely phone games that have a way higher return on investment.

The problem was presenting it as something Diablo fans would give a poo poo about lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lemming posted:

Unfortunately it's good business. I literally don't understand why game developers as a whole haven't jumped ship entirely to making lovely phone games that have a way higher return on investment.

The problem was presenting it as something Diablo fans would give a poo poo about lmao

I think people don’t always want to work on soulless mobile games and game making is still partially a creative endeavor and not a pure profit maximizing algorithm

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Fultz is trying to be better and seems to be motivated by simple human emotions such as competitive will.

:golfclap:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fallom posted:

I think people don’t always want to work on soulless mobile games and game making is still partially a creative endeavor and not a pure profit maximizing algorithm

I totally agree, but like, mobile games make a lot of money

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
They sure do.

I think I spent $80 on Kingdom Hearts Union X.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As time goes on I'm starting to realize what my parents must have felt when I begged them to buy me lovely NES games for $70+.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vakal posted:

As time goes on I'm starting to realize what my parents must have felt when I begged them to buy me lovely NES games for $70+.

turns out mom and dad were right about everything, just not in the way any of us expected or ever wanted :smith:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Literally all they needed to do was say hey we're working on a big thing you might actually want but in the meantime have some garbage.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with them making a mobile game, but the hilarious thing is this was "THE BIG REVEAL" they made everyone wait for probably because they thought people would be excited about it and it backfired spectacularly.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People have been fairly level headed about this, Blizzard seriously positioned themselves for maximum backlash. This is something you announce the day of release, or at an investor's call, or by having netease announce it and say that they made a deal with blizzard for assets. You 100% don't announce it at your fan convention at the end of your opening presentation. They sent out a lead balloon and then tried to light it on fire as it took off. They couldn't of positioned themselves worse with the way this was announced.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

they Peggle 2'd their own loving con lmao

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At least you knew Peggle 2 would be a decent game even though the announcement didn't get anyone on their feet.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
I wonder if anyone is even going to show up for next year's blizzcon. They really shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with them making a mobile game, but the hilarious thing is this was "THE BIG REVEAL" they made everyone wait for probably because they thought people would be excited about it and it backfired spectacularly.

If they had announced almost anything else along side it , like even ‘hey a new set’ for a single class in D3 would have tempered the outrage. But they decided to cap a rather disappointing keynote with a farmed out mobile game for some bizarre reason.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If you want insight into what the people who greenlit this trash heap think like:

https://twitter.com/Futterish/status/1058501206560161793

It goes on for several tweets and it is exactly the sort of thing you expect from someone who brags about their MBA in their twitter bio

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

lol they deleted the Diablo Immortal video and put it back up.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
If only they would delete Diablo Immortal.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

lol they deleted the Diablo Immortal video and put it back up.

Doesn't look like it? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSmAwpVHsA

5.1k to 151k right now

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Lemming posted:

The same reason streamers turn down tens of thousands of dollars an hour to play lovely mobile games. They want to enjoy what they do for a living.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Doesn't look like it? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSmAwpVHsA

5.1k to 151k right now

This is what I get for believing things posted on the internet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

This is what I get for believing things posted on the internet

fwiw they do appear to be deleting comments, shoveling poo poo against the tide

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

why would they even try at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Man that looks way worse than just reposting the video.