Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Rich people are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cul-de-sac on my street is getting resurfaced, the old surface is very worn, and, uh, slippery, and my car inadvertently did an impromptu donut today when I mashed the gas with traction control completely off - the city ought to be more responsible for these road surfaces!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Cul-de-sac on my street is getting resurfaced, the old surface is very worn, and, uh, slippery, and my car inadvertently did an impromptu donut today when I mashed the gas with traction control completely off - the city ought to be more responsible for these road surfaces!

He did a burnout. :getin:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

:thunk:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Possibly the worst cars ever to wear a "GT" badge?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Kia looks better

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The Kia looks better

It needs to tone down all that tacked on Pepboys poo poo, though. The rear end is fantastic but the front end is a travesty.

Put the Stinger rear half on the BMW front half and now we're talking.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Possibly the worst cars ever to wear a "GT" badge?

yup

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tbf Kia/Hyundai poached Albert Biermann from BMW and made him head of their performance division & Stinger design, so maybe it's not such a surprise they look similar :shrug:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cojawfee posted:

The Kia looks better

Quite a bit better, even.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The Kia needs to lose the chrome bits on the hood & behind the front wheel well. Otherwise great looking car thats just a little too busy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Verily, the BMW version of truck nutz

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hey why are so many of the 640i GTs early trade-ins?

This car looks like it ticks all the boxes for what I need, but then there are like a dozen available used in my neck of the woods with like 2-12k miles.

Is it a bad car?

Well, it makes the Panamera look good.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, it makes the Panamera look good.

Hot take: the designer looked at an Aztek and thought to himself, why yes, I can IMPROVE upon this.

Thusly did the GT squeeze forth from the loins of Munich like a wet Zungenwurst fart that was ill-conceived and worse the second time around.

“But it’s so practical!” You exclaim. Ok sure. Buy a minivan then and don’t endorse styling abominations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
This thread makes me feel poor.

Time to make a Honda thread so I can nerd out with my fellow VTEC plebs.

I miss my e39 :(

On the plus side the old dude that bought my e39 told me that he's going to will it to me when he dies because he knows how much I loved and cared for it. He's 70 and a lifetime smoker so hopefully I'll be getting it back soon enough (as horrible as that is).

Someone is getting VTEC SOHC stickers. I love secret Santas because my family doesn't do gifts anymore.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/1992-bmw-e30-325ic-technic/6741799596.html

This is honestly a great deal if anyone in Atlanta wants to snatch it up.

I don't have enough money or I would :(

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Still finding cool new poo poo on the m2.. I just found a setting on my car that will automatically turn my hi beams on if there are no cars in front of me or coming at me and will auto turn them off! That's pretty nifty!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/1992-bmw-e30-325ic-technic/6741799596.html

This is honestly a great deal if anyone in Atlanta wants to snatch it up.

I don't have enough money or I would :(

but you can get like, 8 540s for that.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

fyallm posted:

Still finding cool new poo poo on the m2.. I just found a setting on my car that will automatically turn my hi beams on if there are no cars in front of me or coming at me and will auto turn them off! That's pretty nifty!

If you've got the adaptive LEDs, get the euro coding done for the full auto high beam experience. It can actually steer the high beams around other traffic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

Makes a world of difference on dark country roads.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

If you've got the adaptive LEDs, get the euro coding done for the full auto high beam experience. It can actually steer the high beams around other traffic:

:monocle:

How has that been an option since 2012 and I'm just now seeing it?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

angryrobots posted:

How has that been an option since 2012 and I'm just now seeing it?

Because it's nominally not available on US market cars and never will be thanks to our DOT regulations that are quite literally stuck in the 60s.

The euro encoding will also enable VLD which will adjust the throw of the low beams based on vehicle speed and ambient lighting.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
With the advances in headlight technology in the past decade, it amazes me there isn't legislation to require manufacturers enable the auto-on function in dark conditions. I see a ton of cars around here driving at night with their headlights off. I only assume its because dashes are LED now, and the LED daytime running lights are juuuuust bright enough to fool you into thinking your lights are on if you're an idiot. A couple weeks ago, I passed an suv driving with their lights off, flashed them a few times and they didn't do anything, and a cop who was a little behind us that I didn't notice lit the guy up pretty much a few seconds after I flashed him.

But yea, really cool headlight stuff if you can get Euro coding. That youtube video was neat-o.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I live in Chicago and commute out to the suburbs everyday and I usually see a handful of people without their headlights on. It's usually on the interstate where there are enough cars around that you might not notice you don't have your own lights on but it's a huge hazard because anyone in front of them and changing lanes cannot see them at all in their mirrors.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, I'm in and around Houston and the light pollution definitely has something to do with it too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

With the advances in headlight technology in the past decade, it amazes me there isn't legislation to require manufacturers enable the auto-on function in dark conditions. I see a ton of cars around here driving at night with their headlights off. I only assume its because dashes are LED now, and the LED daytime running lights are juuuuust bright enough to fool you into thinking your lights are on if you're an idiot. A couple weeks ago, I passed an suv driving with their lights off, flashed them a few times and they didn't do anything, and a cop who was a little behind us that I didn't notice lit the guy up pretty much a few seconds after I flashed him.

But yea, really cool headlight stuff if you can get Euro coding. That youtube video was neat-o.

I love the fact that Volvo decided to do the right thing and always have the rear lights on even if you are only on the DRL setting. I'm so tired of seeing VW Golfs with no rear lights on in rainy weather.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

holy loving poo poo this is amazing... How do i get the euro coding done????

EDIT: Also how do I make it so my mirrors fold in when I lock my car?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 7, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fyallm posted:

holy loving poo poo this is amazing

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

540i Update!

OOPS!

That explains some things, also probably 100% my fault :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that the trans pump? Ouch

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that the trans pump? Ouch

Yep, the plan is either get a pump off ebay for get a whole trans from a local part yard.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

fyallm posted:

holy loving poo poo this is amazing... How do i get the euro coding done????

There are guys who will do it for a fee, or you can grab a laptop, esys cable, and the :filez: to DIY.

fyallm posted:

EDIT: Also how do I make it so my mirrors fold in when I lock my car?

Coding also let you set this, choose how many blinks you get when you flick you blinker instead of hold it, keep the radio on until you open the door, relax MDM to let you have a little more slip angle before it shuts you down, etc, etc.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Euro MDM on M cars is well worth the price/effort of the coding.

My sister's boyfriend had his A7 get totalled by some guy running a red light - he's picked up a 2015 750i to replace it;
Anyone know if you can buy the interior trim all in one package/not on eBay? The PO selected a pretty hideous wood trim option and no one is a fan so far but if it's a huge collecting job to get all the other pieces/used or whatever, he'll probably skip it.

Also - can you turn the traction control completely off-OFF? Or is it the standard in many cars where it's just tuned down a bit?

polygon_monkey
Nov 28, 2000

I'm Quadro-spazzed
on a life-glug.

Tuff Ghost posted:

Here are some pics of my 2019 440i xDrive. Love this thing.

https://imgur.com/a/25PgyTO

Hey fellow Mineral Grey F36 owner. Here’s my 435d in the hills of Scotland:

https://m.imgur.com/a/zOQW7WN

polygon_monkey fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 8, 2018

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

There are guys who will do it for a fee, or you can grab a laptop, esys cable, and the :filez: to DIY.

Coding also let you set this, choose how many blinks you get when you flick you blinker instead of hold it, keep the radio on until you open the door, relax MDM to let you have a little more slip angle before it shuts you down, etc, etc.

Humm, I guess I need to search for the guys who will do it for a fee near me. There isn't a way to fold in my mirrors without the cable? There isn't a setting in the menu some where?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Is a Bitchin Dragula a 7 series?

Because I'm looking at those.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Not a whole lot of 7-series action goes on in this thread. But if you're talking about an '01 e38 740i M-Sport, then yeah, that'd be a bitchin dragula.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

fyallm posted:

Humm, I guess I need to search for the guys who will do it for a fee near me. There isn't a way to fold in my mirrors without the cable? There isn't a setting in the menu some where?

You can do it manually with the button on the door, but If you want the fold/unfold to happen automatically with the locks, you need to code it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Is a Bitchin Dragula a 7 series?

Because I'm looking at those.

M760i or GTFO, doctor FASTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

M760i or GTFO, doctor FASTER.

I was only searching locally, so I definitely didn't see any of those $140K monsters.

I don't even have a space in the garage to park this car so I don't think I'm going to be spending a hundred and sixty large on a car (with tax).