Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Enticing people to vote with beer is a venerable political tactic.

I can't find it but there's a great historical print of a guy passing out bottles of beer in front of a voting hall in upper canada in the 19th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arivia posted:

Why wouldn’t it be? Campaigns advertise on online services all the time, and beer pricing is something the government does control somewhat. It’s very well done targeted advertising.

On an xbox, the video game console for children. But yeah, it's just an surgeon advertising about beer, not a beer ad.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

On an xbox, the video game console for children. But yeah, it's just an surgeon advertising about beer, not a beer ad.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I probably shouldn't be surprised by that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

Reminder that 42% of Ontarians did not bother to vote. 42% of people looked at Doug Ford and said, meh I could take him or leave him whatever

People stayed home because they didn't think the other choices were meaningfully any better. They were wrong of course, but given our media landscape it's understandable how people would arrive at that conclusion

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That seems like one of those tasks satan would eternally assign an especially bad journalist. All you get to do 24 hours a day is read stuff like this and write fact checks that nobody cares about.

https://twitter.com/dixieleec/status/1057736413515415552

Surveillance and asset freezing is literally the point of the banking system, go to tax havens and bitcoin like we've always been saying

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Reminder that 42% of Ontarians did not bother to vote. 42% of people looked at Doug Ford and said, meh I could take him or leave him whatever

hard to imagine why, what with thrilling choices like

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also lol that trudeau is conservative as hell and they treat him like he's communist hitler

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

also lol that trudeau is conservative as hell and they treat him like he's communist hitler

they saw how well it worked with obama, might as well ride that technology-fueled vitriol bubble for all it's worth

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
both the right and the left wish he was that left-wing

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tighclops posted:

People stayed home because they didn't think the other choices were meaningfully any better. They were wrong of course, but given our media landscape it's understandable how people would arrive at that conclusion

Yinlock posted:

hard to imagine why, what with thrilling choices like

Please dont make excuses for people too lazy to take 20 mins out their day once every 4 years

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The NDP might actually win if they ran on a platform of loudly shaking guys like the Fords upside down by their ankles so that all the money falls out and into the crowds below

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
so is this a bad time to move from NB to Ontario?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tighclops posted:

The NDP might actually win if they ran on a platform of anything at all

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Please dont make excuses for people too lazy to take 20 mins out their day once every 4 years

why bother when 90% of the time the other guy fucks them over just as much

fun fact: if you want people to vote, you need to give them a reason to. and no "the other guy is a nazi" is not good enough as has been proven over and over

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Nov 3, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

runupon cracker posted:

so is this a bad time to move from NB to Ontario?

it's never a bad time to leave new brunswick

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

why bother when 90% of the time the other guy fucks them over just as much

fun fact: if you want people to vote, you need to give them a reason to. and no "the other guy is a nazi" is not good enough as has been proven over and over

So many people just plain don't believe there are nazis doing poo poo these days it's unbelievable, there's this attitude that they're just bad guys from movies and video games and not a real threat even if they're aware of how awful Trump is etc

I wonder how real poo poo will get when the real estate bubble pops, like if people will wise up fast or just flail around blaming minorities and such

who am I loving kidding

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tighclops posted:

So many people just plain don't believe there are nazis doing poo poo these days it's unbelievable, there's this attitude that they're just bad guys from movies and video games and not a real threat even if they're aware of how awful Trump is etc

this belief is also why nazis can get away with the "oh so u call everyone u disagree with a nazi???" argument so much

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol when generations grow up believing that "critical thinking" entails taking the middle ground between any two points, even if it's between literal fascism and a deteriorating status quo, it just owns so much I can't eve n descri

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just thinking back to 2016 when certain CanPol posters were very concerned about devaluing the term Nazi by using it to describe every brand of fascist and racial nationalist

simpler times, simpler times

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tighclops posted:

lol when generations grow up believing that "critical thinking" entails taking the middle ground between any two points, even if it's between literal fascism and a deteriorating status quo, it just owns so much I can't eve n descri

everyone grows up hearing about the ~shades of grey~ morality non-stop that's considered reasonable and adult

except oops it turns out that good and evil actually exist and are extremely simple

eat poo poo, philosophy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
what are you talking about there's exactly no difference between good and bad things

excuse me while I clean my two car garage

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tighclops posted:

what are you talking about there's exactly no difference between good and bad things

excuse me while I clean my two car garage

ah, your cottage then

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Yinlock posted:

ah, your cottage then

do you mean cabin

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'll have you know its a summer home

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Ill vote for whoever promises to push doug ford into an open manhole so that he's stuck there flailing forever

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I've gotta say, I don't have a news story handy but I skimmed one earlier today and having "being white is okay" posters investigated as a hate crime strikes me as quite the propaganda coup for whoever put them up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's literally their whole purpose, so yeah.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A bit of google says it's a year-old 4chan thing.

Took a while, then.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I've seen them around hear last year too, as far as I can tell people just ignored them before, because that's about all you can do.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

James Baud posted:

A bit of google says it's a year-old 4chan thing.

Took a while, then.

No, they did it this year too. Harjit took the bait

https://twitter.com/HarjitSajjan/status/1058540518098067459

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Best course of action is just to tear them down. Be careful though because there have been cases of there being razor blades on the back of them.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

littleorv posted:

Best course of action is just to tear them down. Be careful though because there have been cases of there being razor blades on the back of them.

safer to just tape antifa posters over them

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In light of the Globe and Mail announcing a hike in their online subscription price today, I'd just like to remind everyone that whenever you call in to cancel your subscription because "it's too expensive" that they'll give you something like six months for half price, which is (now) nearly $90 for the five minutes the call takes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh wow at the sea of nazis

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Someone posted this 2 year old article on Twitter re: how the media portrayed the rise of Mussolini and Hitler

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-journalists-covered-rise-mussolini-hitler-180961407/#rVlDxUPVqPr687tQ.01

quote:

Acknowledging that the new “Fascisti movement” was a bit “rough in its methods,” papers ranging from the New York Tribune to the Cleveland Plain Dealer to the Chicago Tribune credited it with saving Italy from the far left and revitalizing its economy.

quote:

But the main way that the press defanged Hitler was by portraying him as something of a joke. 

We're terrible at learning lessons from history :(

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm not sure if that's entirely true - no far left means no need for fascists to save us from them, right?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think you'll find that any liberal leader, like Justin Trudeau, serves nicely as a far left figurehead.

Everyone else is just some degree of left from ol Justin

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dangerous far left dudes such as [anyone] post about radical ideas such as [any social program common outside Communist China or the USA].

Someone make the boomer/nazi meme generator for big profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Someone posted this 2 year old article on Twitter re: how the media portrayed the rise of Mussolini and Hitler

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-journalists-covered-rise-mussolini-hitler-180961407/#rVlDxUPVqPr687tQ.01

The same thing is playing out now in Brazil with their new idiot President. He was basically a clown until he suddenly got a huge groundswell of power.