Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1058844831252852737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
He's dead now, because of being fired for racism

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

He probably genuinely means that because for a lot of capitalist ghouls there is no difference between life and the workplace

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gently caress you Scott moreison gently caress you so much american import piece of poo poo

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I know it never used to be a thing but I've been out of the loop for a few does anybody still in know if are troops are into this now?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
They're all still too mad about not being allowed to put punisher skulls on their uniforms to notice

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/gritfish/status/1058942485957816321

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

I know nothing about graphic design and this mistake seems like something I'd catch on a first pass.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It makes it look like an "insert state here" template (which it is)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Where in NSW? And where were you working? UNE is pretty international and seems more multicultural than, say, most of New England.

My contract is for 3 years and my fiancé will be doing her PhD at UNE, also for 3 years. So maybe we'll get chased out by the howling mob in 2022. We're pretty frickin' white, though, so we might be able to hide our filthy foreign SJW ways for a little while.

Armidale is great, and UNE is great. I spent 4 years living there, I think something like 20% of employment in Armidale is because of UNE, giving the town a nice progressive vibe. Plus there's a whole lot of international students which helps things. I was involved in Get-up stuff and Australian Youth Climate Coalition stuff while I was there so you will definitely find plenty of other progressive people. Armidale was basically the key hub for organising anti-Barnaby protests back in 2016 so yeah you''ll be 100% fine.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm With ScoMo

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Haha did everybody miss this?

https://twitter.com/Republic_Nauru/status/1055365744223895552?s=19

What us going on in that first picture?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

quote:

Peta Credlin
November 3, 2018 11:00pm
Subscriber only

IF you’d thought that so much of this talk about desperate asylum seekers on Nauru and Manus is just cover for a racket, you’d be right, at least for some of them.

Last week it transpired that 71 of the boat people on Nauru have refused an offer of resettlement in the US. These are people who have been found to be refugees with a “well-founded fear of persecution” in their homeland, and they’ve been on Nauru for five years already.

Yet they’ve knocked back America. If Nauru is the hellhole of rampant, suicide-inducing mental illness that the refugee activists claim, why would 71 boat people refuse to go to the “land of the free”?

These are refugees who supposedly can’t go back home. They’ve been stuck on this supposed prison island for five years (although I’ve been there, and I dispute it’s anything like how it gets described in the media here, mostly by people who’ve never set a foot on the place); yet they say no to the US? For people who are allegedly desperate, they’re incredibly picky about which safe, new, First World country they’ll accept.

There are millions of people languishing in refugee camps, particularly vulnerable women and children, who would grab the chance of life in America — but not these 71.

Apparently, these refugees knocked back the US when they heard they would have to work and would not receive welfare. They’re not even economic migrants; they’re welfare migrants, forum shopping for best taxpayer-funded lifestyle.

And this is precisely why the Morrison government needs to be very careful about giving in to the bleeding-heart lobby and bringing all the boat people with children to Australia. Once they’re here, refugee activists and their lawyers will make it impossible for them to go back to Nauru. Sort out medical issues, of course; allow it to be a backdoor entry ruse, no way!

To date, 46 babies have been born in Nauru and what you don’t want is the unintended consequence of children being used as an immigration bargaining chip, or loaded on to leaky boats in the first place.

Last week we had another glimpse into how courts and tribunals are being manipulated to get around our immigration rules, but it wasn’t for people who’d risked their lives to come to Australia in leaky boats.

Instead, it was confirmed that more than 200 Commonwealth Games athletes and officials (mostly from African countries) have applied for asylum in Australia. Their country thought highly enough of them to send them abroad as sports ambassadors but now they’re saying that they can’t go back because of fear of persecution. And as usual, our system is accommodating them.

After their initial applications were refused, 184 of them are appealing the decision and, like the boat people on Nauru and Manus, they’re largely being sustained by you the taxpayer.

So far $300,000 has been spent on legal aid and $1.3 million keeping them in detention or supporting them in the community. And there’ll be millions and millions more spent, before these cases are dealt with.

Our system is absurdly generous. Yes, we are a decent country where people are given a fair go. But when boat people in Australia’s care knock back America because they can’t go on welfare and Commonwealth Games athletes milk the system to stay in Australia, we are being taken for a ride. At least Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton and Attorney-General Christian Porter have now commissioned ex-High Court judge Ian Callinan to review the administrative appeals system to stop it from being gamed.

The basic problem, though, is that all of our systems are set up to give the bad guy the benefit of the doubt. No one wants Australia to stop being Australian, and to lose that easygoing generosity of spirit and welcome for people who come here to have a go and join the team. But we really must get better at sorting out the sheep from the goats. And it shouldn’t take small armies of taxpayer-funded lawyers to do it.

Right now, our court system has immigration appeals listed right out until 2021. It’s not good that people won’t have their cases heard for three years; but it’s even worse that immigration applicants don’t mind, because they’re looked after by the taxpayer in the meantime, and have opportunities to get married, have children and otherwise make it harder and harder for them to be sent back.

If it’s time to clear the offshore processing centres, it’s also time to change the definition of who can claim asylum and who is a refugee. At the very least, if you’ve come here under false pretences, or if you’ve skipped through several countries before landing in Australia, you’re not an asylum seeker and you can’t be a refugee; you’re a would-be economic migrant and should be sent straight back home. It is fair enough to want to live here, who wouldn’t? But apply like thousands of other people do and come through the front door.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just a normal picture taken from inside a car of unaware children playing, nothing creepy here.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Before we jump the gun on asylum seekers, have we considered being soulless fuckheads?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Didn't read it past the already retracted (lol) lie about people refusing to take the us offer. Taking asylum in the us is sounding a bit like fleeing nazi Germany to the safety of Austria these days though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What the gently caress they're shooting peep shots from a car lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
After melting down about Ross Cameron, Andrew bolt posted this:

quote:

NOTE: I was planning to make an announcement soon about my career. Given this post - and the wilful misreporting about Sky - I should make absolutely clear that my plans were made and discussed with many relevant people BEFORE Ross was sacked. What has happened and what I will do are unrelated.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/in-defence-of-sacked-ross-cameron/news-story/13fda6fc2b2f868e5510a7717111dacd

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Seriously what is up with that picture and it's shadow tree?

https://twitter.com/hypnoyouellie/status/1055708239688421376?s=19

https://twitter.com/hypnoyouellie/status/947643487427600384?s=19

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

gently caress he's gonna run for parliament

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
This talking point of 'Detention camps are good, look at all the mental health services refugees have access to' is breaking new ground in stupidity.

I guess ''Australia treats Indigenous people well, look at all the money we spend on their health services' is not that different.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha my son and I doing research on the best religion for him.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This talking point of 'Detention camps are good, look at all the mental health services refugees have access to' is breaking new ground in stupidity.

I guess ''Australia treats Indigenous people well, look at all the money we spend on their health services' is not that different.

They've got it so good look how much we pay to torture them

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks like a bad use of the lasso tool in Photoshop
Ah Queensland. Probably tries to filter out the fluoride in their water.

hambeet posted:

Not for the Liberal Party, he's been kicked out of it. That leaves One Nation, KAP or Independent.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Of course she’s from Brisbane.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That hypnoyouellie account is wild

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

hambeet posted:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Probably tried to photoshop tinted windows out of the creepshot.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

You Am I posted:

Jokes on you. Some parts of QLD don't have fluoride in the water

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Jokes on you. Some parts of QLD don't have fluoride in the water

Queenslander’s bones aren’t strong

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Bolt in the Senate under a Labor government would be funny.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Looks like a bad use of the lasso tool in Photoshop

Not for the Liberal Party, he's been kicked out of it. That leaves One Nation, KAP or Independent.

Yeah I would have said independent, but what about the Bernardi party?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

https://www.conservatives.org.au/stand_up_australia

quote:

All sporting codes, clubs and civic groups when playing the anthem should announce - as a mark of respect for our flag, nation and forebears - particularly the ANZACs and our soldiers - a request that Australians stand for the playing of the anthem.

Divisive Muslim-Australian and boxer Anthony Mundine sought to promote his bout with working class Australian boxing success story Jeff Horn using divisive identity politics. Mundine said Horn had got to where he was due to 'white privilege' and that Mundine would not stand for the Australian national anthem at their bout, saying it was a 'white supremacy' song. Our Facebook polldemonstrated that Australians strongly disagree and believe Australians should stand for the national anthem.

The Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet protocols for playing the anthem are deficient, merely saying it is 'customary to stand'. There is no positive expectation or direction from the PM's office that Australians should be asked to stand out of respect.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I see Australian conservatives have adopted the American right tactic of conflating the anthem with support for the military.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/australian/status/1059003391479767040
lol

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 4, 2018

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
https://twitter.com/peter_fitz/status/1058890565075447814?s=21

The president of the Young Liberals.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
gently caress standing for the anthem, what a stupid "you're with us or against us" test

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

This is incorrect. They share a surname but they aren’t related to each other.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh. drat you, twitter person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Let's all pause for a bellylaugh at the comedian Rowan Dean:

quote:

Cameron: So I wanted to ask my co-host Rowan, is China a strategic threat to Australia?

Rowan Dean: Of course it is.

Ross Cameron: What evidence do you rely upon?

Rowan Dean: Because it is not a democracy, it is a totalitarian dictatorship, therefore by definition, absolute power will corrupt somewhere down the line - maybe it already has -any democracy must approach a non-democracy with caution. You’d be silly not to...

:roflolmao:

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 4, 2018