Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Lol, the horror of unaffordable property! You can always pocket 200k of equity and go to Pennsylvania or something. That said, glad it’s not here, for the same reasons you are upset.

Weren't you literally just complaining about this? You seem confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey guys!

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/1058823955841114112?s=19

The CHUD Virus is spreading please help

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

it's australia, it spread completely like 150 years ago

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Armed veterans everywhere.

22 a day isn’t winning hard enough.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mr. Nice! posted:

JFC

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

lmao

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Well it was fun living in my house that had the sweet view of the DC skyline while it lasted. Though my landlord said he'd sign a two year lease with me this weekend, maybe I call him tomorrow and push that through now to lock in my rent.

He also said he'd let me vacate with two months notice if my wife and I decide to buy a house in the next couple of years, so he's a cool landlord but fuckkkk paying any more in rent.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

:captainpop:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Welp, guess we'll see you all out in Winchester/Charles Town!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

Are you saying someone working in the DC area should buy a house in PA and commute or that they should quit their job and move to PA and also find a new job there?

Because these are both stupid but for different reasons. I need to know which one you're saying so I can correctly make fun of you.

You realize there are plenty of people that live in Adams and York Counties and commute to Baltimore/DC right

(Being dead serious BTW. Previous coworker had worked at Bechtel and drove to Hagerstown where they had a Vanpool that took then the rest of the way)

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 4, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You realize there are plenty of people that live in Adams and York Counties and commute to Baltimore/DC right

(Being dead serious BTW. Previous coworker had worked at Bechtel and drove to Hagerstown where they had a Vanpool that took then the rest of the way)

The mere concept of driving that entire stretch of 70 and 270 every day makes me want to claw my eyes out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I've known some of these people. They were loving miserable and usually had health problems from sitting in their car for 4.5 hours each day. Like yeah I get that you can have a million acres and a sweet Texas sized house in Chambersburg for what you'd spend on 20 acres and a normal sized house in Frederick, but what's the point if you're never home/too fat to enjoy it?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

psydude posted:

I've known some of these people. They were loving miserable and usually had health problems from sitting in their car for 4.5 hours each day. Like yeah I get that you can have a million acres and a sweet Texas sized house in Chambersburg for what you'd spend on 20 acres and a normal sized house in Frederick, but what's the point if you're never home/too fat to enjoy it?

Completely agree and not advocating. Just saying that its enough of a thing that it shouldn't be taken as some sort of absurdity. To further drive the point home, Franklin County has its own Metropolitan Planning Authority because of the atypical nature of its transit patterns and coordinates with Maryland SHA on projects.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'd assume work from home opportunities would start to be a more common thing as traffic increases except for service jobs, but then again it's not called wage slavery for nothing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd assume work from home opportunities would start to be a more common thing as traffic increases except for service jobs, but then again it's not called wage slavery for nothing.

This might be the thing that pisses me off the most about the hateful cyberpunk future. I've bitched about it before I know that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jbmoorephoto/status/1058503357059514369?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Operation faithful patriot lmfao. Who gets to pick the names?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That sounds like something I'd expect to hear Pence say, so it's probably a round robin in the oval office until Donnie's happy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

This might be the thing that pisses me off the most about the hateful cyberpunk future. I've bitched about it before I know that

Unfortunately, aside from call centers and other stuff, there isn't really a way to make service jobs WFH, so they'd just become automated out of existence.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's either Pence or some other evangelical political appointee. Mattis would call it something like Operation Fine, Whatever, Stop Calling Me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Operation Liver Killer CCCLXXI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Operation Unfaithful Husband is more like it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

Operation Unfaithful Husband is more like it.

I was talking about it purely from Mattis's point of view.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Putting concertina wire along the rio. That’s certainly not going to just turn into free razor wire to go around cartel compounds or just rust and get buried in dunes for 10 years before some kid gets maimed falling into it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

It's either Pence or some other evangelical political appointee. Mattis would call it something like Operation Fine, Whatever, Stop Calling Me.

I remember reading a while back that combat operations are supposed to be two randomly chosen words. Maybe they should start doing that for peacetime operations as well.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Modern day combat operation names are always super patriotic and lame.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

psydude posted:

I remember reading a while back that combat operations are supposed to be two randomly chosen words. Maybe they should start doing that for peacetime operations as well.

Man, Operation Iraqi Freedom sure was lucky they drew those two words for it!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Operation Delta Force 2, as seen on showtime

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Matt Ridgeway's first operation in Korea in 1951 was "Operation Killer" and some people complained. Matt was like, huh, it's what we're gonna do.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

Modern day combat operation names are always super patriotic and lame.

May as well call it "Operation Second Coming" or some other Evangelical apocalyptic bullshit.

Operation Final Judgement?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
In not at all surprising, and still infuriating news out of Georgia

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/414748-kemps-office-opens-investigation-into-georgia-democrats-for-possible

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

BigDave posted:

May as well call it "Operation Second Coming" or some other Evangelical apocalyptic bullshit.

Operation Final Judgement?

They should call it what it is.

Operation Free Applebees
Operation Job Creator
Operation Holy poo poo, You're hosed Now, Habibi
Operation This Money Ain't Gonna Burn Itself
Operation LOL Single Payer
Operation I Don't Believe in Anything, I'm Just Here for the Violence
Operation Fourty Thousand for a Toilet Seat

etc.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Vasudus posted:

They should call it what it is.

Operation I Don't Believe in Anything, I'm Just Here for the Violence

etc.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Operation No-bid Contract

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

not caring here posted:

Operation No-bid Contract

Now now, we've moved on past no-bids. Now we just shape the contract so that only one company has any chances of meeting the RFP requirements and they just so happen to be the one to score the highest!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How is it that Georgia is ground zero for one of the most blatantly, openly corrupt GOP campaigns? The stories coming out of that state are absolutely insane.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

At this point it's basically expected that Republicans will do these kinds of bullshit investigations on their political opponents. Just curious when Strong Daddy's rhetoric pushes them over the edge and they start going for the real deal of politically motivated arrests. They're already pretty far down the path of voter suppression and "our enemies are illegitimate law breakers".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thalantos posted:

Man, Operation Iraqi Freedom sure was lucky they drew those two words for it!

Nah, it was in relation to Odyssey Dawn. People were freaking out about the title implying that the US was going to get into another quagmire in Libya until the Pentagon pointed out it was randomly generated.

I guess in the end it still resulted in a quagmire, but the US only wound up losing Benjamin Ghazi.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/11/atlantic_city_police_officer_sterling_wheaten_cast.html

Feds indicted a NJ cop for falsifying records and putting his K-9 unit on an already subdued suspect, resulting in 200 stitches.

So the police union is holding a fundraising benefit for him. The union president is one of the cops who was present at the scene.

“A few bad apples” is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Fallom posted:

How is it that Georgia is ground zero for one of the most blatantly, openly corrupt GOP campaigns? The stories coming out of that state are absolutely insane.

Because the Republican candidate is also in charge of the election?

It's like putting a KKK wizard in charge of a civil rights committee.