Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Man I've been binging TWEWY (handheld) for a couple weeks and now I have no idea what's going on w/ Switch news. I'm assuming Diablo 3 Handheld works well? Reviews seem to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

japtor posted:

How about at the used/refurb eBay price? Looks like $50-60 there for dock and power, or about $40 for the dock by itself (but a good power brick will be about $20 anyway).

There’s cheaper docks but a caveat with them seems to be to use a good/Nintendo power brick for less chance of bricking, and at that point you might as well buy a real used/refurb one for the price.

I have an extra official charger that's just AC to USB C. Will that make any of the cheap docs safe?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

veni veni veni posted:

Goddamn Dark Souls is awkward af to play handheld with those tiny rear end little sticks and buttons

I had the same issue at first and I think it was just muscle memory loving with me. I’m used to it now and it feels great.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The only co-op D3 I played was with friends on PC years ago - is the Switch drop in play with randos good? I assume it’s just gratuitous enemy explodin’ and lootin’ with people dropping in and out as needed?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I thought it was, "The shadow remains cast"?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

I thought it was, "The shadow remains cast"?

It is. I think she’s making a joke on how tough the game is.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I can absolutely imagine Lady Gaga enjoying Bayonetta. It's like, exactly her level of camp.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is a great deal

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1059129375008874496?s=19

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Licarn posted:

I'm not getting Diablo 3 again unless Chris Metzen comes to my house and personally apologises about the story.

I still can't believe that Deckard Cain dies to a loving butterfly demon.

Like what the gently caress

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I had the same issue at first and I think it was just muscle memory loving with me. I’m used to it now and it feels great.

i thought i had finally gotten used to playstation style buttons on a nintendo console but i lost 18 humanity yesterday backstepping into an elevator shaft lol

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

I can absolutely imagine Lady Gaga enjoying Bayonetta. It's like, exactly her level of camp.

I don't need to imagine Lady Gaga enjoying Bayonetta because she already posted that she is, so now its just reality

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

One very small annoyance I have with D3 is the Amiibo Portal scroll. You get one with every new character you make, and it can't be dropped or sold, nor is it expended after use. I don't have any Amiibos and they take up multiple storage slots in my stash. They don't stack like the Gannondorf books.

Covetous Shen is my favorite covetous grandpa.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Waffle! posted:

One very small annoyance I have with D3 is the Amiibo Portal scroll. You get one with every new character you make, and it can't be dropped or sold, nor is it expended after use. I don't have any Amiibos and they take up multiple storage slots in my stash. They don't stack like the Gannondorf books.

Covetous Shen is my favorite covetous grandpa.

Can you make a mule and shove them all into their inventory?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Lemming posted:

Can you make a mule and shove them all into their inventory?

Yeah, but :effort:

I'd just like for them to stack so I have more room for crap.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Man I've been binging TWEWY (handheld) for a couple weeks and now I have no idea what's going on w/ Switch news. I'm assuming Diablo 3 Handheld works well? Reviews seem to agree.

the only complaint I have is goddamn this game seems to EAT the battery at a rate I wasn't used to. Then again I mainly have been playing smaller indie games in handheld mode lately and D3 is more demanding than any of them combined, so it might just be I forgot how large scale games chew through the battery life in just 2 hours or so.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heath posted:

It's legit crazy to me how many people, even in this very thread, have somehow never played a Zelda game until very recently. Like not even from a taste perspective, but how do you play video games for any length of time and not encounter at least one Zelda?
Someone who was, say, 10-15 years old in the late 1980s, living in North America, and had an interest in video games, almost certainly owned or at least played the original Zelda. That's a simple function of Nintendo's pervasiveness in that market, at that time, and Zelda being one of the most unique and notable titles on the system.

After that, though, Nintendo no longer had a monopoly on the console market and (CD-I aside) Zelda games weren't found on other platforms. Even people who owned a SNES didn't necessarily play LttP. Sure, it was a fantastic game, but the SNES was packed with great action adventure/RPG titles since launch. Ocarina, of course, was also fantastic and anyone who owned a N64 and wasn't exclusively into multiplayer GoldenEye probably played that too, but the PSX had a greater share of the market.

Another way to look at the situation is that the Switch has significant appeal among gamers that weren't around in the 80s and haven't previously owned a Nintendo system. That's a great thing for Nintendo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looper posted:

i thought i had finally gotten used to playstation style buttons on a nintendo console but i lost 18 humanity yesterday backstepping into an elevator shaft lol

It's causing something to break in my brain lol. It's like half of my muscle memory expects the PS style buttons from 10 years of playing Souls there, and the other half knows I'm holding a switch and is expecting the reverse confirm/back buttons and it's totally screwing with me.

I'm honestly also half tempted to remap the controls because R1 really isn't comfortable to use all of the time, but I just can't bring myself to do it cause I want normal Souls controls.

It's really not too bad but it's definitely a little awkward to play compared to using a normal controller.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
D3 is great in handheld. I was weary of getting it after the launch disaster and the Wilson days but the game is vastly better now. Adventure mode unlocked right away is a big deal. The Season going on doubles your bounty award too.

I tried playing a Crusader but I just loved monk too much back then and still do.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Am I missing something about Stilt Town in Dead Cells?

Every enemy there has tons of hp, either teleports or has homing attacks, or turns into smaller enemies that teleport.

Each encounter I have to cheese, just so I don’t take a ton of damage. Seems to go against the whole “speed run type game” thing, that’s why I’m wondering if I’m missing something.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's refreshing that while the rest of the internet is raging about Diablo, this thread is nothing but good things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like Nintendo fans weren't 1% as pissed off about a lovely animal crossing mobile game as blizzard fans were about a bad mobile Diablo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I feel like Nintendo fans weren't 1% as pissed off about a lovely animal crossing mobile game as blizzard fans were about a bad mobile Diablo

animal crossing is a good and wholesome game series with good and wholesome fans

diablo has one of the angriest fanbases of any game, every minute without Diablo 2: The Diablo Twoening is a slap in the face

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Supposedly mario run is pretty good? I haven't played it, but in general i trust handheld nintendo titles

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nintendo warned that there was gonna be an Animal Crossing mobile game well in advance of it's reveal, and were very clear that their mobile games weren't replacing "proper" games on the consoles. In addition, the Direct that revealed it had a big "THIS IS FOR THE MOBILE GAME WE'RE NOT SHOWING ANYTHING ABOUT A NEW CONSOLE ONE" warning on its announcement message.

In comparison, Blizz handled things... a little less gingerly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
but don't get me wrong, the diablo phone game announcement was hilariously out of tune and also bad

I feel so sorry for the dude announcing it, they had to know

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The difference is that AC fans knew they'd eventually get a proper game on console and the mobile game was little more than something to tide people over. The Diablo mobile game is being treated as the sequel to D3.

Your Computer posted:

but don't get me wrong, the diablo phone game announcement was hilariously out of tune and also bad

I feel so sorry for the dude announcing it, they had to know

I'm not convinced they did know considering they responded to booing with "Do you people not have phones?!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ignite Memories posted:

Supposedly mario run is pretty good? I haven't played it, but in general i trust handheld nintendo titles

I think it is better than most of the NSMB games. It does quite a lot with the control and level design for having a simple touch gimmick. It’s worth a playthrough unless you absolutely hate phone games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It was good when it came out, and then it got bad

Really hard to coordinate a group anger when they kind of browbeat a mostly humble inoffensive game into an inexcusable pay-a-thon

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm not convinced they did know considering they responded to booing with "Do you people not have phones?!"
:cripes:

that said, they did warn people to "not expect to much" or something along those lines before blizzcon and they have clarified that they are working on multiple projects. Still, that was... oof.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Target is doing a buy 2 get 1 free sale at the moment on video games, unfortunately they don't offer many Switch titles in this deal. It might be worth it if you have a PS4/XBone as well and can mix and match across platforms.

Looks like this ended yesterday. :sigh:

I'm sure there will be a bunch of black friday sales online at least.

Your Computer posted:

Diablo fans hate Diablo 3 more than anyone else

as someone who never played those old-rear end games, I say Diablo 3 is good and fun

Diablo 3 is fine and they were smart enough to embrace Big Numbers rather than try to keep things balanced down since all that did in D2 was result in a lot of garbage builds/characters.

It's still not as good as Path of Exile.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My phone is too crappy for games like those. Besides I already have a portable Diablo and it owns bones.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 4, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I dunno if I like the skill system in Switch Diablo. It's so much loving faffing, even if all you want to do is make the stars go away.

And it's much better on Master difficulty at least.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

To be fair, Nintendo fans have at least been trained to expect games on mobile hardware, thanks to previous releases like Mario, and their two proprietary gaming platforms being made with portability in mind.

Blizzard, on the other hand, has basically spent thirty years on PC and consoles, their only mobile game is a direct port of a casual PC card game (not a reskinned third-party free-to-play action MMO), and their fans have been clamoring for PC/console releases/remakes for a decade, because they don't give a poo poo about mobile gaming.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 4, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Are there any reviews out for Civ VI yet? I'm tempted to get D3 but I know once Civ comes out my life will be over.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, I just watched just now the video and this was particularly rough.

I am a little disappointed that D3 is 60 bucks, but I will definitely pick it up once it goes down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Your Computer posted:

and they have clarified that they are working on multiple projects.

diablo immortal and diablo 3 switch are probably the "multiple projects"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I dunno if I like the skill system in Switch Diablo. It's so much loving faffing, even if all you want to do is make the stars go away.

And it's much better on Master difficulty at least.

The leveling ends up being a really small part of Diablo 3 so the stars will not be there for long

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got mario (barely touched), celeste (bounced off it hard), zelda, which I loved, dark souls remastered, which is good, octopath, which I've played all c1's and some c2's of. I've already played bayonetta and the world ends with you, loved both of them. The weird gambling lootgrind + clicky click of diablo doesn't appeal to me. What else do people recommend for me? I think VC4 is on switch but I have the ps4 version of that already.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So, I played D3 back at release and again after RoS, but pre-necro. I started a necro for fun to check it out, and I'm having fun throwing corpse arrows at everything. Can someone explain seasons to me? Seasonal characters revert to regular at the end of each right? Is there any reason not to make a seasonal character? Am I missing anything if I do? Or am I totally misunderstanding what seasons are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

redreader posted:

I've got mario (barely touched), celeste (bounced off it hard), zelda, which I loved, dark souls remastered, which is good, octopath, which I've played all c1's and some c2's of. I've already played bayonetta and the world ends with you, loved both of them. The weird gambling lootgrind + clicky click of diablo doesn't appeal to me. What else do people recommend for me? I think VC4 is on switch but I have the ps4 version of that already.

Play Mario since you already own it. It’s one of the best on the system.