Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

since when did dds cross grid bounds

I've honestly never heard of that but bubbles and bombs do so it's likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ChickenWing posted:

Nah, handle it on a node level. Connection pool -> queue manager -> instruction manager -> thread pool for instruction workers -> ( blocking I/O / task workers / whatever the gently caress else needs its own thread ). Realistically, every node is almost certainly being single-proc'd right now. Even if you dispatch moderately expensive operations to their own threads you're still clawing back some cycles. IDK my multiprocessing experience comes from Scala programming which does a lot of synch natively so I can't imagine it's going to have that much of an issue.

tl;dr you need to do some resource allocation/priority fuckery but I guarantee there's something that could be offloaded to a thread pool that would result in a hundred ms clawback

e: and SQL locking is handled by having sane DB fk locks

I don't know man, I am by no means an expert in parallel programming nor inter process communication, but I doubt that it would be that easy.

CCP has already multithreaded some parts of the server, e.g. Brain in the Box. The big problem is the simulation (physics/combat).
The calculations to advance the state of each object of a grid by one tick basically make all the objects of the grid depend on each other. So if you would decouple the objects and throw them into different threads the updated state of the object would need to be communicated to all the other threads on all the other processors. And if objects cross grids the whole context would need to be handed over to the processor handling the new grid. And all of that seamlessly without any noticeable delay and tens of thousands times a second. That seems like a pretty tough problem.

As I said I'm no expert in IPC and maybe this could be manageable with shared memory and really clever design or maybe even some heuristics to reduce accuracy but increase responsiveness. But there are still tons of ways such a system could go wrong. Ultimately CCP most likely can't hire the people with the skills to pull off such a system on a EVE-esque scale and it wouldn't really be the right business decision to take.

Rewriting the whole game basically will mean two possible outcomes:
1. the game didn't change much, so why would it suddenly be a hit and people flock to playing it? It's not that TiDi is the main factor why people don't play EVE.
2. the game changes a lot because CCP has the opportunity to rebuild it in a better way. This means no migration of assets from EVE 1 to EVE 2 which results in most existing players not really coming back and potentially still no new players coming because it's still CCP and it might still suck.
Additionally EVE 2 is going to in development for probably 5 years and be released void of features and full of game breaking bugs.

I don't see anything good coming from a rewrite of EVE's core game and I think CCP will just milk EVE as long as possible and then pull the plug. Maybe then we can have a kickstarter to have a new EVE-like experience. We could call it Space Inhabitant or something cool like that.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Malefitz posted:

As I said I'm no expert in IPC and maybe this could be manageable with shared memory and really clever design or maybe even some heuristics to reduce accuracy but increase responsiveness. But there are still tons of ways such a system could go wrong. Ultimately CCP most likely can't hire the people with the skills to pull off such a system on a EVE-esque scale and it wouldn't really be the right business decision to take.

You don't need to be an IPC expert to think this really hard problem that CCP or many other companies wouldn't be able to solve. Even the overhead of determining whether two entities interact and whether their state computation should be dependent is heavy. And the more objects in space you have, the more overhead in determining what is state dependent (polynomial, in fact). That's why I suggested something like the grid level, but then immediately pointed out that it's not even independent enough because of the way things on different grids can interact.

But chickenwang kind of missed the point. Say you got a brajillion dollars to do this. How do you ensure that, moving forward, you'll get something that looks and behaves the exact same way as the thing before but sped up a bit? Best case, you'll have a bunch of weird issues that arise; worse case, it's a loving trainwreck and nothing works, because moving systems that are synchronous and serial to asynchronous and parallel is really fuckin hard.

Im no expert either, but I spend 80% of my time in asynchronous message passing systems, and generally when you want something to be multithreaded, parallel, asynchronous, you should design it that way from the start.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but what if they disable AFK cloaking or remove local

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Addamere posted:

but what if they disable AFK cloaking or remove local

They can do both at the same time, would give recons a reason to be used with the dscan immunity

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

working mom posted:

I've honestly never heard of that but bubbles and bombs do so it's likely

when did that happen

i mean I'm workin off reaaaaaaaaallllll old info here but I know for an absolute fact smart bombs and dds did not cross grids when I got one, because it was like the third thing we tested

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
bombs are their own entities so they can cross grids, but explosions can't. i remember some grid fuckery with them where you made a new grid, hid your bombers in there, and then have a bait sitting right next to it. people warp in and everyone dies without warning when the bombers launch their poo poo over the grid border. your bombers are completely safe from explosions, and you don't need to stagger bombs quite as much as they don't enter the grid until just before the explosion.

explosions, bubbles, etc can't cross grids though, as far as the game's concerned there's nothing there, literally. bubbles etc are projected off of entities, and no entity means no bubble. i'm 99% sure that can't really change without pretty awful performance repercussions, but maybe someone did some magic since i've played.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
yeah that's more what i thought

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Bubbles do cross grid walls, there was a rnk video when they increased grid size explaining that they would bubble off grid in line with a gate and it'd pull people and allow them to be bombed

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

working mom posted:

Bubbles do cross grid walls, there was a rnk video when they increased grid size explaining that they would bubble off grid in line with a gate and it'd pull people and allow them to be bombed

Another trick was a small bubble 149k behind a gate with a large/t2 large further back, fully encompassing the smaller bubble. You would stop at the edge of the small bubble and be trapped inside the larger one.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

MisterOblivious posted:

Another trick was a small bubble 149k behind a gate with a large/t2 large further back, fully encompassing the smaller bubble. You would stop at the edge of the small bubble and be trapped inside the larger one.

That still works, though the drag range is 500km now.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is there a wormhole squad? I haven't played since Holesquad dissolved and I guess I hate myself because I'm starting to feel the itch to play this dumb game again.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Third Man posted:

Is there a wormhole squad? I haven't played since Holesquad dissolved and I guess I hate myself because I'm starting to feel the itch to play this dumb game again.

Yes there is

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Came back to see how free mode is, and it seemed pretty cool until I found I can't fly my Procurer anymore.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Third Man posted:

Apparently "The Whalers" is a wormhole squad in the sense that they have a wormhole and do hotdrops or something out of it.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

MisterOblivious posted:

This still works, except either do it at like 300km or do it at 100km.

100km means they cant warp to the gate if they burn out

300km means then cant burn to gate is any reasonable amount of time.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

dragonshardz posted:

Apparently "The Whalers" is a wormhole squad in the sense that they have a wormhole and do hotdrops or something out of it.

But do they have the blessing of Mimi

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Before I download the client and reading like two years' worth of patch notes, I shacked up with BOS for like month or so after Holesquad died before just quitting entirely -- is that going to be an issue for rejoining GF? I have no idea what the political situation is like these days...

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
If you're not an un person like myself I think you can just rejoin my dude.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

MaxPowers posted:

If you're not an un person like myself I think you can just rejoin my dude.

Quote for dabs

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FranktheBank posted:

This still works, except either do it at like 300km or do it at 100km.

100km means they cant warp to the gate if they burn out

300km means then cant burn to gate is any reasonable amount of time.

We're talking about different things. With that setup the victim is stopped at the edge of the bubble, like normal. They can nearly immediately warp out the way they came if you don't point them or have a dictor on hand.
When set up properly you could stop people at the edge of a bubble, like normal, but fully encompassed by a larger bubble.

https://i.imgur.com/FBujyfZ.mp4

The two T1 mediums were within 146-148km of the gate and acted like normal stop bubbles. The T2 large was 158km from the gate so the game ignored it until somebody landed. Once somebody landed they were ~40km from the nearest way out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still remember being the first dipshit in Goonfleet to start carrying T2 large bubbles in his carrier on the off chance they'd be useful. Is it still fleet doctrine?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

MisterOblivious posted:

We're talking about different things. With that setup the victim is stopped at the edge of the bubble, like normal. They can nearly immediately warp out the way they came if you don't point them or have a dictor on hand.
When set up properly you could stop people at the edge of a bubble, like normal, but fully encompassed by a larger bubble.

https://i.imgur.com/FBujyfZ.mp4

The two T1 mediums were within 146-148km of the gate and acted like normal stop bubbles. The T2 large was 158km from the gate so the game ignored it until somebody landed. Once somebody landed they were ~40km from the nearest way out.

I know what you are talking about. What I said before still fits. You are operating on the assumption that you will get tackle on things that land, which won't always happen.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still remember being the first dipshit in Goonfleet to start carrying T2 large bubbles in his carrier on the off chance they'd be useful. Is it still fleet doctrine?

We used to use bubbles all the time in cap fleets. Blob up and drop bubbles so disconnects would stay on grid, and some control over warp ins.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
drag bubbles are fuckin' dumb poo poo

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kitfox88 posted:

drag bubbles are fuckin' dumb poo poo

Much like your posting.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dragonshardz posted:

Much like your posting.

Drag bubbles have useful purpose

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Addamere posted:

Unlike posting on a dead gay comedy forum, yes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

:psyduck: I've been playing Eve Online on and off for about 6 years now. I don't recall of ever hearing of this until now.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

SugarAddict posted:

:psyduck: I've been playing Eve Online on and off for about 6 years now. I don't recall of ever hearing of this until now.

It's not a particularly well known edge case tbf

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SugarAddict posted:

Heh, not only does it work this way, it's not even the weirdest thing I've seen people do with bubbles. Imagine getting stuck in a bubble that isn't on the same grid as you...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

Much like your posting.

Addamere posted:

dragonshardz posted:

Unlike posting on a dead gay comedy forum, yes.

:justpost:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Kesper North posted:

Heh, not only does it work this way, it's not even the weirdest thing I've seen people do with bubbles. Imagine getting stuck in a bubble that isn't on the same grid as you...

And then having to listen to Kesper make puns about bubbles til you burn 100km to get out

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So I’m probably getting back into this stupidity.

1) Apparently all my poo poo is in the impound lot in lowsec now because we aren’t in Deklein, does CCP take pity on people who were unsubbed for years and had no chance to avoid this scenario? 15% of literally all of my assets is a pretty big deal.

2) Is Delve good for running those scanned-down anomaly sites? I used to make most of my cash running sites I scanned down or that other people found for me in exchange for a cut of the loot.

3) Is there an easy way to get a breakdown of the game changes over time? I suppose reading expansion feature notes would give some of the main points.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Deuce posted:

1) Apparently all my poo poo is in the impound lot in lowsec now because we aren’t in Deklein, does CCP take pity on people who were unsubbed for years and had no chance to avoid this scenario? 15% of literally all of my assets is a pretty big deal.

2) Is Delve good for running those scanned-down anomaly sites? I used to make most of my cash running sites I scanned down or that other people found for me in exchange for a cut of the loot.

3) Is there an easy way to get a breakdown of the game changes over time? I suppose reading expansion feature notes would give some of the main points.

1) no probably not
2) yes
3) not really no, everything changed so significantly since I played in 2018 for all intents and purposes I’m a new bee again

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deuce posted:

When I got back into it a few months ago, I submitted a "stuck" support ticket, and the GMs kindly moved me from Deklein to Delve. I was only able to move in my active ship, so I just stuffed my most expensive ship with as many items as I could fit, and liquidated it on arrival for startup cash.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

3) not really no, everything changed so significantly since I played in 2018 for all intents and purposes I’m a new bee again

This actually sorta keeps me from coming back. I would be a total noob with 136 million SP and a few billion ISK. I guess the lossmails would be hilarious though. I'm also not sure I could get into goons since I got my first taste of goondome in Karmafeet back in 2015 and then joined SA after that since I genuinely liked the people. (Well, most of them.) Then real life poo poo happened (had a kid, wife got cancer) and I had to quit Eve just before Fozzie sov came out.

So much seems different, outposts gone, carriers totally different, T2 capital guns, WTF are Force Axillaries....precursor ships, probably more crap I don't know about.... yeah... it doesn't seem like the same game.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 6, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Antillie posted:

This actually sorta keeps me from coming back. I would be a total noob with 136 million SP and a few billion ISK. I guess the lossmails would be hilarious though. I'm also not sure I could get into goons since I got my first taste of goondome in Karmafeet back in 2015 and then joined SA after that since I genuinely liked the people. (Well, most of them.) Then real life poo poo happened (had a kid, wife got cancer) and I had to quit Eve just before Fozzie sov came out.

So much seems different, outposts gone, carriers totally different, T2 capital guns, WTF are Force Axillaries....precursor ships, probably more crap I don't know about.... yeah... it doesn't seem like the same game.

It seems a lot more different than it is.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

if you can believe it, the posting is much worse than when you left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

So when these halloweenie accelerators expire on the 27th does that just mean you can't consume them anymore, or does it also cut off any that have effects currently on?