Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I have reclused myself from the location of TBF. this is in case I am captured. Currently, only the Fortress commandant knows it's location.

Though it is thought to be in the Tokyo region.

God, what game would I have to play to act out the Tokyo Bay Fortress story?

Seconding the X-com, UFO unknown naturally.
Secure the pacific and the Asian coprosperity sphere.
Finally invade Hawai'i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

simplefish posted:

Is there a Howl's Moving Castle game?

Or yeah this sounds like a good shout:

Red Alert 3 was where they just decided to go totally gonzo with the story and it worked in just the best way possible.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Somehow this game is going to end when the sole survivors of a massed aerial invasion of Tokyo (a single soviet conscript and his trusty war bear) manage to assassinate the emperor. Of course, it turns out that was only an android copy and the real emperor was in a giant robot the whole time.

It'd be wrong to say Red Alert 3 had its moments. It was more of a mosaic of moments strung together with fine cheese.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

My god, do I hate the Stingray.

This is a few points a day!

Another plane lost.

These guys are just no good!

They are outnumbered though!

Oh god, just stop flying!

Things go a little better on the defensive.

Most of these guys of course go after the subchaser.

These guys know where its at however!

It's raining Liberators!

Can we go back to quiet please?

I have doubts.

Not a great month – yeah we killed a carrier, but we lost Wake! We now need 11,000 points to autowin, and that's not going to happen.

Not that Wake was worth all that much!

Aircraft losses spiked a bit this month.

Here are my production rates.

Army losses remain steady.

It's been quality over quantity this month in the ship sinkings.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

what tonnage has the stringray got now?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

1 November 1944

Kamikaze loss: USS Abner Read, a destroyer, in Leyte Gulf.
HMS Whittaker, a frigate, somehow survives a U-boat-torpedo-induced magazine explosion that did the thing. Towed to Belfast and laid up in lieu of repair.
Three ex-Italian ships commandeered by the Germans, torpedo boat TA-20 (ex-Audace) and corvettes Uj-202 (ex-Melpomene) and Uj-208 (ex-Spingarda), run into a British ambush in the Adriatic and are sunk.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You can see the India invasion force marching off to the north west – they have 31,000 supply and need 30,000, so are in very good shape.

Out of nowhere, Hong Kong is bombed!

It's another bad day for their Liberators.

You tried at least!

Out of nowhere we launch an attack from Guam – losses are high from both CAP and flak, but we get two hits in on the Bunker Hill!

I've been trying to get you to attack for months. Where did this sudden zeal come from?

Shame you can't match it will skill.

She's hurt at least!

The Guam air commanders plan must be to use wave after wave of planes to use up their flak ammo!

Enemy forces begin to land at Luganville.

Well that was a brutal day in the air – but with two hits to the deck, I may be able to do damage tomorrow if she sticks around.
Now if you will excuse me, I have a hundred pilots to replace.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The air model seems to depend heavily on “detection level”. If you don’t have search aircraft finding enemy task forces with sufficient fidelity then your planes won’t fly, or if they do it won’t be as coordinated. The game doesn’t really tell you any feedback about this, of course.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It's always the bloody Stingray! She's the only useful sub the Allies have!

Seems like they still have flak ammo lads!

And a CAP.

It only takes one of these guys to get lucky to turn this around though!

So far, just more dead pilots though.

Less flak kills there, maybe we are depleting their ammo!

This makes me feel a bit better at least – it's mutual ineffectiveness!

Why are all my strike craft suddenly doing things?

I would like one to hit something though!

Another day of heavy losses, but I just need to keep whittling them down – the carriers are on the way to try and confirm the kill.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Is there any way you could reassign some of the Charnel House forces to take up defensive positions on likely American landing targets — or to block the Red Army whenever that activates? I’m thinking of positioning them in the Philippines or wherever the next major campaign will be.

Not knowing anything about the game besides reading Let’s Plays for the last however many years I can’t help but think that marching men across the Himalayas is the least effective possible use for them. How long will it take them to arrive in the theatre? Is attrition modeled at all?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

3 November 1944

USS Pintado torpedoes the destroyer Akikaze west of Luzon.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a lot of dead pilots for a trade of a lot of bombs dropped in the pacific ocean instead of on Bunker Hill

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
A massive amount of planes shot down near the Marianas. Seems like a battle they'll have a nickname for.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
If I'm counting this right that's well over a hundred aircraft shot down by the Bunker Hill and her airgroup :stare:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mans posted:

That's a lot of dead pilots for a trade of a lot of bombs dropped in the pacific ocean instead of on Bunker Hill

i mean if the pilots failed to hit things than their loss is no big deal, obviously.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
A joint Imperial Navy/Army operation ending in disaster, this is completely unexpected.

I bet half the losses were red-on-red 'accidents' in the heat of battle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I really hate that they target warships first.

A grand total of 2 planes go after the larger cargo ship!

They can't attack either.

For some reason I have less planes today...

I will find you and I will kill you.

Plane loses are down a bit, as I have no more planes to lose.

Well, I think you learned a lesson about target priority.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMB372NFgl4

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06cNv55jTs

At 00:02 you can see a Japanese ship being blown up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At this rate the Stingray is going to sink TBF.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

4 November 1944

Breaking with precedent a bit today as it is HMS Terrapin that torpedoes the Japanese minesweeper W-5 instead of an American sub. Of course, it happened in the Straits of Malacca.
USAAF aircraft sink the German torpedo boat TA-47 (ex-Italian Lira) under repair at Genoa.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Even at dock the poor little torpedo boats can't catch a break.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I will find you and I will kill you.

Japan to surrender on the deck of the stingray.

Kibayasu posted:

At this rate the Stingray is going to sink TBF.

How big a stencil do you need for that?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

DIE!

At hit! At last!

Take that you bastard!

His plane on fire, this pilot rams into the striken aircraft carrier, thus inventing the Kamikaze attack.

So apparently the game has decided that Kamikaze attacks are a thing now? And has started using them? Just when you think you know the rules.....

If you don't mind, I'm going to hang around and confirm the kill.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
It's funny, I was going to comment yesterday that your attacks would have been more effective and less costly to pilots' lives if you just Kamikaze'd the ships.

Also, don't you have to be losing fairly badly before Kamikazes get activated? Like lose some of your bases close to the home islands? Was Wake enough to trigger that?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
drat. That's, what.. 2-3 bombs into the Essex? And three torpedo hits + a kamikaze. That's going to probably cripple her if she's not gone down. So hopefully she's not goin ganywhere anytime soon and can be hit by another strike and now has no flak or planes left.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

wedgekree posted:

drat. That's, what.. 2-3 bombs into the Essex? And three torpedo hits + a kamikaze. That's going to probably cripple her if she's not gone down. So hopefully she's not goin ganywhere anytime soon and can be hit by another strike and now has no flak or planes left.

Well those two cruisers aren't too shabby of a consolation prize if she already sank.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
You have to designate squadrons specifically as Kamikaze by the normal rules, so I wonder if that really was they "I'm dead anyways, might as well slam into them" thing. Pretty cool the game supports that if true.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It could also be an incredibly obscure bug. This seems like the kind of game that would have a lot of those.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be entirely fair, unless the crashing plane still had its bomb attached it probably wouldn't have done too much damage. Just a single engine plane on its own plus whatever remaining fuel it had onboard simply doesn't have that much penetrative or explosive potential. Unless the only thing this game cares about is if it's a kamikaze hit or not.

On the other hand, the triple torpedo hits will at the very least have crippled the CV's speed, even if they didn't sink her outright.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Well those two cruisers aren't too shabby of a consolation prize if she already sank.

What are the odds on him having enough planes to go after two relatively intact cruisers that are probably goin to be if the carrier goes down fleeing at flank speed?

Also even with a bomb I'm no tsure a single kamikaze is going to do more than annoy an Essex - they're still very big ships with lots of armor.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 6, 2018

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

wedgekree posted:

What are the odds on him having enough planes to go after two relatively intact cruisers that are probably goin to be if the carrier goes down fleeing at flank speed?

Also even with a bomb I'm no tsure a single kamikaze is going to do more than annoy an Essex - they're still very big ships with lots of armor.

Depends on what got hit. USS Franklin was almost lost from one dive bomber. 3 torpedo hits and a kamikaze? I would bet she's done for.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The actual Bunker Hill was hit by two kamikazes. They didnt sink it, but put it out of action for the rest of the war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kamikazes are activated if the Allies own a base within 15 hexes (traced only by sea hexes) of either Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon, and if the date is later than Dec-31-1943.

I'm not sure but maybe Wake Island was enough to activate Kamikazes?

In any case, you're also supposed to convert entire squadrons into Kamikaze-capable squadrons, and you can only convert one squadron per day, and they have to be specifically told to embark on the Kamikaze mission type in order to do carry out these kinds of attacks.

What I'm thinking might have happened is that Kamikazes were activated recently, and the game's code allows for individual Kamikaze attacks if the air combat model produces a plane that decides to do it on the spot as they're crashing or whatever.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Shouldn't the battlefleet be sent out to hunt down that wounded carrier?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kamikazes are activated if the Allies own a base within 15 hexes (traced only by sea hexes) of either Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon, and if the date is later than Dec-31-1943.

In any case, you're also supposed to convert entire squadrons into Kamikaze-capable squadrons, and you can only convert one squadron per day, and they have to be specifically told to embark on the Kamikaze mission type in order to do carry out these kinds of attacks.

What I'm thinking might have happened is that Kamikazes were activated recently, and the game's code allows for individual Kamikaze attacks if the air combat model produces a plane that decides to do it on the spot as they're crashing or whatever.

There's some dot base around the home islands Gray has ignored for the last 8 months now with a level 9 airfield and B-29s spinning up on the runway as we speak.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

It’s quite possible there’s also a date based trigger to what happened here, namely pilots deciding to start suiciding into ships when in positions they’re unable to survive. This will start happening with planes too, where pilots will start ramming into B-29s. This seems to be independent of actual kamikaze squadrons, and will happen with normal fighter squadrons.

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008
The ability to manually create Kamikaze units is limited by the rule regarding the allies owning a base relatively close to certain key points. At any time Individual pilots may attempt to ram a ship or a bomber after taking damage on approach. It'll usually show up in the combat messages as something similar to "Lt. So-and-so decides to give his life for the emperor", and in the case of attacking bombers the plane is just listed as destroyed in the combat summary rather than any mention of Kamikazes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Three long lance torpedoes and a few bombs is enough. Fly back to confirm, but that's a dead carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

5 November 1944

Nachi, which had been damaged in a collision with Mogami while retreating Surigao Strait, succumbs to air attack in Manila Bay.

Comstar posted:

Shouldn't the battlefleet be sent out to hunt down that wounded carrier?

A hunting group centered on the fast Kongos might not be a bad idea for times like this.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Three long lance torpedoes and a few bombs is enough. Fly back to confirm, but that's a dead carrier.

The Long Lance is not an air-dropped torpedo. They're really only on sufficiently modern destroyers and cruisers as far as I recall.