Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

The idea of having some kind of grendel-esque beast mode that your species can trigger in order to flip cars and own fools is pretty awesome, but it seems like this would tend to make your culture exhaustively formal and polite instead of what anyone would call 'orky'.

Now that's a fun direction to take that idea.

Orcs, constantly walking on eggshells around each other because they know at any second one of them could end up saying the wrong thing and it would be the Christmas Jamboree Massacre all over again.

Maybe they'd even get along better with non-Orcs most of the time since they know that you can be a little more loose and friendly with a human since they won't try to rip your arm off and beat you to death with it if you accidentally interrupt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nessus posted:

The idea of having some kind of grendel-esque beast mode that your species can trigger in order to flip cars and own fools is pretty awesome, but it seems like this would tend to make your culture exhaustively formal and polite instead of what anyone would call 'orky'.

"Oh, Ambassador, you're in for a treat. This is the ancient customary way Orcs resolve disputes. Notice the careful use of 'I' statements and the meticulously maintained open body language!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Warcraft is a dead franchise from a dead company after this day of infamy why bother speak about it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if I'm not mistaken, the whole "orcs drinking demon blood was why they turned to fierce and murdery (and why their skin turned green)" wasn't established in the lore until after Warcraft 2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

Let's not forget that they also decided to make the screaming blood thirsty rage a normal, natural Orcish trait and not a Demon induced thing. It turns out that Warcraft orcs really are just biologically more inclined to go into berserk killing sprees and enact horrific brutality on others.

As the Orcs have doubled as an African/Jewish metaphor for some time, this is Unfortunate.

Nessus posted:

The thing that got very uncomfortable with the orcs was the whole thing where Garrosh went full orc hitler and kicked out everyone who wasn't sufficiently orcky from Orgrimmar, including the Tauren and the Trolls.

But the goblins got to stay because they're greedy war profiteers... and had green skin.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

Warcraft is a dead franchise from a dead company after this day of infamy why bother speak about it.

I guess that's on me for bringing up the Orc thing again, but in my defense I like talking about Orcs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Quixote posted:

I guess that's on me for bringing up the Orc thing again, but in my defense I like talking about Orcs.

Yeah technically the post-WC2 orcs ended up resembling a D&D treatment as far as the demon blood just them into Evil Just Because, but your original point that if we conceived of pre-WC3 orcs as wanting to invade Azeroth because they had depleted Draenor/Outland of all of its resources, that would have been a decent angle for facilitating conflict.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This is drifting a little far from TG industry chat :ssh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Warhammer Orks are the best Orks. Turns out one of the least problematic ways to show them is to go back to the well of them being artificially engineered super-soldiers.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Interestingly, aren't Goblinoids basically the invading and taking over type once they gather up into a Host? I'd need to read the chapter again, but I think it was in Volo's where it specifically said they try to avoid razing and salting the earth and in fact urge those that live in conquered lands to do as they once did... with the added detriment of providing supplies to the Host, oh and having their temples of worship burned down but as someone else said nothing any worse than a human has ever done!

I've always liked Goblinoids as an enemy, and especially Hobgoblins which are described as incredibly civil by nature... But brutal when they try to kill you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ronwayne posted:

This the sort of thing that calls for a computer adaptation so, you know, you don't have to deal with someone having to be the slaver side. Or some kind of thing where the slavers are a monolithic entity the players have to work against together, pandemic style.

Yes, it's called Freedom: The Underground Railroad.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I know he's not popular around here, but i thought James Raggi had an interesting take on the orc problem. He said don't use them if they are going just going to be humanoid monsters, just use humans. Not even exotic fantastical humans, just make them french or something, because monsters should be special and unless you're playing true murder-hobos players shouldn't be indiscriminately slaughtering people. Essentially he got really tired of the stupid "Does your paladin kill all these orc babies? Orcs are EEEVIL after all." he said next time that argument comes up replace the orcs with Native Americans and see how less stab happy your players get, and if someone still gets super jazzed about killing them then you have learned something important about that player and whether or not you still want to game with them.

I actually really like orcs, but I like them as bland and generic as possible, so I can slather my own ideas on them when I play as one. I also like the Ravenloft 3rd ed. idea where orcs don't exist and are replaced with calibans, who are just people who were exposed to too much magic before they were born and came out looking different, twisted limbs, asymmetrical features, bristly skin, or tusklike teeth. They fill the orc as an outsider niche, and can look like pretty much whatever you want them to. I remember one supplement had a character who was born a humanoid tiger, so I was kinda surprised they never caught on, years of reading RPG stuff on the internet led me to believe a lot of people really want to play cat-people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kurieg posted:

Hoooo boy, time to explain World of Warcraft orcs to people. This will be fun.

So.

Orcs were shamanistic ancestor worshippers from Draenor, divided up into a few different tribes, warred against some belligerent ogre tribes but were perfectly willing to let the Draenei crash (both literally and figuratively) on their planet. Then the demons who were chasing the Draenei were like. "Hrm, well we do need an army to gently caress up Azeroth, why not kill two birds with one stone?" And ended up finding an Orc who was willing to listen to them, teach him all the demon worshipping warlock stuff and got him to convince the rest of the orcs to drink demon blood. Which corrupted them and enslaved them to the will of the demons. The orcs, high off demon juice, slaughtered the Draenei, and made a portal out of their bones to travel to Azeroth and gently caress poo poo up there. They were marginally successful, but eventually were beaten back and cut off from their homeland, which subsequently exploded. Absent of a re-up of demon blood they lost their demonic bloodlust. To sum the entirety of Warcraft 3: One of the Orcs (Grom) drank some more demon blood, killed a lot of poo poo, was cleansed of the blood, realized how big he had hosed up, and killed the demon that had enslaved him. Thus freeing all orcs of his taint forever. And they rediscovered their shamanistic roots.

Later Grom's son Garrosh was found, and was told about how his dad was a great hero who had saved his people. He took all the wrong lessons from this and decided that "Killing a lot of poo poo" meant "you are a hero". In one of the stupidest moves in a long line of stupid moves, he was made leader of the horde, and genocided his way across half a continent and drank the blood of an old god before he was stopped and put on trial for his crimes. He escaped from this trial with the help of a time travelling dragon and escaped into an alternate past Draenor that wasn't blown up.

On this alternate Draenor he applied all his lessons of "Killing everything is the best way to be an orc" and whipped up the other orc tribes into a frenzied war machine, then brought them back to Azeroth to try and take back the Horde by force. He was beaten back, then killed, and in his absence the demons showed up and corrupted the alternate orcs.

All of this to explain why they're Games Workshop's orks, only legally distinct because Blizzard didn't get to use the IP.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

All of this to explain why they're Games Workshop's orks, only legally distinct because Blizzard didn't get to use the IP.

I'd take Orks any given day of the week over whatever the hell that word salad of a plot was. I never really played any 40K but I had a friend who was into it and I remember reading a quote from the Ork handbook when I was flipping through it that basically said that in the horrible universe of chaos and constant war the Orks were probably the only people who were really happy and having a good time because they were pretty much doing what they were born to do and loving it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bob Quixote posted:

I'd take Orks any given day of the week over whatever the hell that word salad of a plot was. I never really played any 40K but I had a friend who was into it and I remember reading a quote from the Ork handbook when I was flipping through it that basically said that in the horrible universe of chaos and constant war the Orks were probably the only people who were really happy and having a good time because they were pretty much doing what they were born to do and loving it.

Orks when done in the original style also neatly sidestep most of the racial implications because rather than being "savage" stereotypes, they're ridiculously exaggerated British football hooligans.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also 40k orks are resistant to the Intense Seriousness that afflicted the line after 2nd edition, so they still had rules like "painting your trukk red makes it go faster. because orks that's why gently caress you" at least into 5th edition (the last one I actively played).

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 4, 2018

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

That Old Tree posted:

Also 40k orks are resistant to the Intense Seriousness that afflicted the line after 2nd edition, so they still had rules like "painting your trukk red makes it go faster. because orks that's why gently caress you" at least into 5th edition (the last one I actively played).

They still do!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orks of Thar, best orks.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Thar Ork. Thar castle.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

grassy gnoll posted:

Thar Ork. Thar castle.

Why are you talking like that?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Thanks, Orks. Thorks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bob Quixote posted:

Also Tyranids.

For some values of “happy”.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also Tyranids.

For some all values of “happy” "hungry".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bob Quixote posted:

"The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Bob Quixote posted:

Now that's a fun direction to take that idea.

Orcs, constantly walking on eggshells around each other because they know at any second one of them could end up saying the wrong thing and it would be the Christmas Jamboree Massacre all over again.

Maybe they'd even get along better with non-Orcs most of the time since they know that you can be a little more loose and friendly with a human since they won't try to rip your arm off and beat you to death with it if you accidentally interrupt them.

David Weber had something like that in his War God series (which was based on his homebrew D&D game). The orc equivalents, the hradani, have a real bad berserker rage problem. The less they like someone, the more formal and polite they get as a defense against going into their rage (or accidentally provoking the other hradani).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JackMann posted:

David Weber had something like that in his War God series (which was based on his homebrew D&D game). The orc equivalents, the hradani, have a real bad berserker rage problem. The less they like someone, the more formal and polite they get as a defense against going into their rage (or accidentally provoking the other hradani).

Sounds like Australians. Be very wary when they're being polite to you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:unsmith:

quote:

Play a game and honor Greg Stafford next weekend!
Next weekend on November 10th, Greg Stafford's family is holding a memorial celebration of his life in Berkeley CA. For the many, many gamers around the world who would love to attend but can't, or would like to commemorate and honor Greg's life and achievements, here's a way you can:

*Play one of Greg's games, or a game he influenced (that scope is **wide**).
*Or play any game - as Greg said in his last public speech at the 2018 ENnies, the gaming industry only exists because of your enthusiasm and support. We at Chaosium recognize that countless RPG fans are fans (including us!) because of Greg Stafford and what he achieved.
Feel free to share an image of your game on social media or at BRP Central, with the hashtag #WeAreAllUs.

*Show the "Greg Rune" (aka the Sartar Rune) in your post - copy and print the image here, or from Redbubble (all "Greg Rune" merchandise is currently available at cost, with no artist margin).

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hell yeah, I am vindicated as hell with regards to John Wick Publishing. RiP.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hell yeah, I am vindicated as hell with regards to John Wick Publishing. RiP.
Yeah that's a heck of an update.

"Hey so I laid everyone off, which was very painful for me. Also here's the progress on Secret Societies!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Can you share with the rest of the class, or provide links?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JOHN WICK posted:

After reviewing the company finances in August, I discovered JWP was not making enough to sustain its current work force. And so, in the ugliest and hardest day of my life, I had to lay off all the JWP employees.

What this means is the 7th Sea lines are going to slow down. I cannot maintain the release schedule we promised before GenCon. That doesn’t mean books aren’t going to happen, it just means they’re going to be slower than expected.

Hey folks, it's time for the November update. 

First, let's talk about the next Secret Societies chapter!

Secret Societies!

Here's the link for Močiutės Skara. The most benevolent of the Secret Societies.

New Adventure!

Also, I have a new adventure up: Who Killed Lord Wójcek? It's a reskin of an old adventure I wrote that fit 7th Sea perfectly. You can get it on both Drivethru and JWP.com.

Schedule Update

I’ve been talking to various companies about partnering with JWP to continue printing 7th Sea as well as expanding it into territories JWP couldn’t. We tried doing board games (twice) and both times failed. Another company, with a stronger reputation for making board games, could make War of the Cross fly in a way I couldn’t. That’s why I’ve been talking to other publishers about partnering up to fulfill our 7th Sea obligations.

For both Secret Societies and the Map Pack, I anticipate a Feb-May release. This may be sooner depending on a lot of factors. As soon as those projects are done, I can let you know where everything else stands. I'll have a better idea of the entire release schedule once negotiations are done with our potential publishing partners.

If you have any questions, ping me. I'll do my best to answer them.

2018 has been an awful year for everyone, myself included. Let's hope for a better 2019.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
a) gently caress John Wick.

b) this is what happens when you give away your entire loving product line to all your KS backers.

What a colossal loving mismanaged shitshow run by a colossal loving idiot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"hi guys I laid off my entire staff and production's going to slow to a trickle so HeRE's WhAt'S In The PiPELiNe!"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I assume they were banking on Khatai making 7th Sea level money, or people caring (twice!) about a bland board game nobody asked an rpg company to do.

Transmedia is poison. I wonder how much got spent on the pitch trailer for a 7th Sea movie or whatever.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welp grandma just dropped dead, but on the bright side, Janice from accounting brought in doughnuts. Bazinga, today's lookin' up! :dance:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think it'd be doing better if the game was actually any good.

Right now, because it's not, the only people getting the new books are the people who kickstarted it. It's not expanding its audience.

I get that he was trying for something more narrative, but (a) he's not good at it, and (b) it's completely the wrong system for people who were hoping for - basically - a cleaned-up version of 7th Sea 1e.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's a shame, because the setting writing was consistently top notch.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I assume they were banking on Khatai making 7th Sea level money, or people caring (twice!) about a bland board game nobody asked an rpg company to do.

Transmedia is poison. I wonder how much got spent on the pitch trailer for a 7th Sea movie or whatever.

There was also the failed video game kickstarter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah I was interested in Khitai until I saw that he was basically keeping the same system.

But yes, transmedia is a very mid-aughts kind of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

It's a shame, because the setting writing was consistently top notch.

The books were extremely beautiful, no doubt. I liked the writing a lot until I realized that the only reason I was enjoying it was that I was very familiar with all the first edition books. There is so much about the world that just stays unsaid, even with books covering every major region lightly.

I will say I loved the new Crescent Empire book. One of my favorite rpg reads in recent years, though the Assassins Creed magic was very eye rollingly bad.