Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Time to end this discussion as this is not the place to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Your avatar is depressingly appropriate for ending this conversation

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good episode tonight. I’m glad Oliver took the time to focus on our hosed-up relationship with Saudi Arabia.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Guys... Was it just me, or did John look legitimately nervous during his whole Saudi Arabia spiel? I don't want anything to happen to him. :ohdear:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lol at the pig

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lol at the pig

Yeah, no idea what he was on about Armstrong.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
This episode had the most epic deadpan deliveries of "cool" ever.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, no idea what he was on about Armstrong.

Isn't it wrong anyway? For some reason I've always thought Aldrin planted the flag because Armstrong had the camera.

Not that Trump being wrong about something would be a surprise in any way, but still

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Right tried to make a big deal that there was no money shot of the flag on the moon in that Armstrong biopic that came out. It's a typical culture war non-controversy controversy.

John Oliver didn't mention one bit about the Saudis I found a little bit chilling, which was they might have had a hand at getting Rex Tillerson sacked. (To be fair, this piece is a bit speculative, and Tillerson obviously had a shaky relationship with Trump to begin with.)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

webmeister posted:

Isn't it wrong anyway? For some reason I've always thought Aldrin planted the flag because Armstrong had the camera.

Not that Trump being wrong about something would be a surprise in any way, but still

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure there actually was a quite a lot of Neiling going on during the moon landing. :haw:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Perestroika posted:

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure there actually was a quite a lot of Neiling going on during the moon landing. :haw:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you monster.

I love it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Echo Chamber posted:

The Right tried to make a big deal that there was no money shot of the flag on the moon in that Armstrong biopic that came out. It's a typical culture war non-controversy controversy.

Not that I disagree that it’s a nonissue but did the director even mention why they didn’t include it? I mean yeah it is really easy to read as jingoistic but it’s also a really iconic image of the event.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jingoistic may be too harsh of a word as to why it wasn't included. But yeah, the director wanted to emphasize the accomplishment for mankind to echo Armstrong's words. Focusing on the flag undercuts that a bit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think the point was the right wanted a nationalistic movie that went "U-S-A!" and they were actually trying to make an apolitical film and make it about "a giant leap for mankind". So naturally people saw that as a political statement.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Perestroika posted:

That's such a John Oliver joke that I'm honestly surprised they didn't do it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Good episode tonight. I’m glad Oliver took the time to focus on our hosed-up relationship with Saudi Arabia.

I imagine the comedy focus afterwards was them trying to leave the episode on a happy note.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm fine with that then and even finer with them doing it every week because let's be honest, we need it

Dancer
May 23, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think the point was the right wanted a nationalistic movie that went "U-S-A!" and they were actually trying to make an apolitical film and make it about "a giant leap for mankind". So naturally people saw that as a political statement.

I mean, it is a political statement. A decent one.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

TheBizzness posted:

Shoving E pulls up your butt is called parachuting you crazies.

parachuting is when you wrap something in toilet or tissue paper and drop it down your throat so you don't taste whatever is in there.

boofing is putting the drug up ur butt.

I had no idea either of these were obscure terms at all but I guess I hang out with drug people a lot

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’ve spent some time around drugs and never heard the term boofing in my life.

It’s all regional like anything else vernacular related .

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I think I preferred John Oliver's hair before he ctrl-v'd a generic business haircut onto his head.

The Saudi monarchy is in many ways shaped by how back in around WW1, the Saudis were the radicals, as compared to the other state which was in contention for control of the Arabian peninsula wich was backstabbed by European "allies". It's really creepy just how well their monarchy can blend with the kelptocrats and corporations. Just another little reminder of how the path we're on is leading us back towards feudalism.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TerriIrwin/status/1052349180255981569

:3:

Woden
May 6, 2006
That ending song was better than the one they use in the intro.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
John tried his best to prepare me for the video they were about to show. I still wasn't prepared.

Now I'm sad and angry and I want to post today's episode as a response to every tweet Trump makes.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jamesman posted:

Now I'm sad and angry and I want to post today's episode as a response to every tweet Trump makes.
That'll show 'em!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

That'll show 'em!

That's basically what John Oliver does already; what new passive-aggressive video can we put online or on TV that Trump won't care about anyway.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Wow, he was upset and angry as gently caress after that video. It was hard to watch that clip, especially as a parent of young kids

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Haven't seen the episode yet, now I'm curious as gently caress

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
God forbid anyone itt actually votes

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

God forbid anyone itt actually votes

I'm voting tomorrow, but I don't think it's gonna matter because every other house I pass has a sign out front for Republicans (and I'm in a blue state).

I just meant I wish a video like that would actually be seen by Trumpsters and they would actually feel some kind of shame and regret, especially a day before they might go out and vote Red. But sadly, I'm pretty sure they just see stuff like this, dismiss it as fake news, or proudly proclaim how much they love triggering Libs by destroying families.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Haven't seen the episode yet, now I'm curious as gently caress

Tonight's episode reviewed Trump's stance on immigration and how he separated kids from immigrant children and put them into cages. He showed a clip of the traumatic effects it had on one kid as an example.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 5, 2018

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
"Well if his parents hadnt illegaled then this wouldntve happened now would it :smug::smug:"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

"Well if his parents hadnt illegaled then this wouldntve happened now would it :smug::smug:"

The frustrating thing is that this is legitimately the reasoning for a lot of people who support it. It's like that crazy conservative lady who tweeted about how going to a Democratic rally made her actually entertain the notion that her children might actually deserve universal health care and schooling...and then she shook off that delusion, because it's her decisions that determine how her children turn out. A lot of these people just see these kids as invisible casualties of their parents' choices, not as living breathing children who deserve protection regardless of who their parents are.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Every one of them motherfuckers families immigrated to this country and just cause it was a lot easier back then they think nobody else should have the opportunity. This country is gigantic and we need immigrants.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That's exactly what I've seen people say. And then you have that woman in the clip last night.

"I don't have a problem with immigration, so long as they do it legally."
-"Uh, they ARE doing it legally."
"...Then I hope Trump changes the law."

It's such blatant racism and it's disgusting how we just accept it and treat it as a fair and reasonable opinion.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Didn't one of the guards have AIDS

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This country is gigantic and we do need immigrants, but it’s worth discussion of...

1, whether those immigrants should be so strongly weighted to the unskilled labor category. America has it’s own home grown class without high school diplomas; and you see a lot of support for unskilled labor immigration from college educated people in skilled positions who won’t be competing with these people for jobs.

2, whether countries that can reach us by land crossing deserve to be treated differently than those who can’t.

None of that excuses child prisons, of course.

I don’t want to get too deep into it but I do feel a lot of the “more immigrants now” whites are economically advantaged people who aren’t negatively affected by a huge surplus of unskilled labor. To me the biggest missed opportunity in US immigration was the Syrian refugees; many of them spoke English and had trade skills. But our Islamophobes got in the way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A lot of the unskilled jobs immigrants take are jobs you literally can't pay people enough to do, they're hardly stealing are jerbs. Look at the crop picking jobs in California

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You actually can pay people enough, but companies don’t want to. It’s a labor exploitation/corporate greed issue.

And ideally immigrants are here legally because they’re getting protections on wages and labor law. Please don’t buy into the old “we need a permanent underclass of exploited workers” bullshit from the Dubya years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's an ethnic cleansing. I feel like that needs to be said, because that's the effect and that's the intent. The idea of a "deterrent" for people coming to the US, land of opportunity, is nebulous at best. They just want the people gone and want to enact violence upon them to punish them for existing. It's not a coincidence these people are all intermingling with white nationalists and adopting fascist tactics.

It is only the saving grace of what's left of American values permeating the system keeping them from actually enacting violence, so they're limited to more soft genocide tactics: Destroy families to destroy the people.

There are valid arguments that can be made about the way our country exploits the immigrants that come in here, and even uses the threat of deportation to prevent them from asserting their rights as humans (like how Trump built his tower), but sadly there's no room for that sort of nuance when there are people who are pushing for policies of extermination that must be stopped for the sake of humanity.

The whole deal of undocumented immigrants being exempt from human rights and labor laws and there being no option but to deport them is poo poo, but the fact that explicitly legal immigrants have been declared illegals is such a loving violation. There's an ungodly amount of paperwork that follows asylum seekers around, they're not undocumented, they're just an easy target because they don't know their rights and often lack community support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It is only the saving grace of what's left of American values permeating the system keeping them from actually enacting violence, so they're limited to more soft genocide tactics: Destroy families to destroy the people.

Yes. The language of it is in many respects closer to the cultural genocide behind Native American "re-education" or the Australian Aboriginal "stolen generation." "These brown savages are also unfit parents." It's too late for all the MS-13 rape-gang teenagers, but it's a tragedy that these poor children are being corrupted by their own culture.

All the sympathy theater behind officials' discussion of the policy lands there. "I don't hate children. It's just such a shame they're being forced into this situation." ICE doesn't *want* to separate them from their families, but they *have* to because of their criminal parents. It's literally the same bullshit as a century ago.

• Locked thread