Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sometimes you work with what you have on hand because it's the fastest and cheapest and easiest way to get something done. Other times you do it just because it's fun to just screw around. It's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Bit of column a and a bit of coloum b

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Motronic posted:

"All I have is a hammer so everything looks like a nail" is not unique to 3D printers. It doesn't make them anymore right than when you have a tractor, a bobcat, a welder, a mill and a lathe, etc that makes those things the right answer for everything you either don't have or have to go out to get.

I'm guilty of pretty much everything I've mentioned here.

Its more about the realization once you have one that its not just a novelty and has practical applications beyond making little plastic figures. It is a tool in the toolbox that opens the possibility of making plastic parts (both specially designed and replacements).

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

So update
Project wardrobe is now 50% functional

Pictured is both project wardrobe and the reason for project wardrobe

This is by no means a finished state but it will allow me to have something of a wardrobe and size up how big I want the span

Edit: she is a touch wonky.

My printer has a bit of an issue with warping. Troubleshooting my printer beyond producing these parts is not the biggest concern of mine.

Double edit: :3:

Jestery fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 30, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been learning how to do clay sculpture lately, and this is my first project that I've felt really warranted sharing. It's a...vase? Head? Thing? With some petunias because that's the flowers I had on hand and frankly they provide the appropriate level of gravitas.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been learning how to do clay sculpture lately, and this is my first project that I've felt really warranted sharing. It's a...vase? Head? Thing? With some petunias because that's the flowers I had on hand and frankly they provide the appropriate level of gravitas.

Nice, reminds me of an Aztec death whistle...minus the flower. Does yours make this lovely sound if you blow into it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Nice, reminds me of an Aztec death whistle...minus the flower. Does yours make this lovely sound if you blow into it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Mine doesn't make any kind of noise unless you drop it on the floor. But that's pretty awesome, in the "awe-inspiring" sense of the word.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My first thought was a troll doll but then I noticed the horns. I like it!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

A bit of a redesign and a sleep has done wonders and I'm happy for the time being

Project wardrobe V1

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Excellent. And thanks for the discussion about food safety and 3D printers, something to think about when I next have access to one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jestery posted:

A bit of a redesign and a sleep has done wonders and I'm happy for the time being

Project wardrobe V1

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50231630/

$12.99?

:confused:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJLyHZFWRc&t=136s

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yea, gently caress making poo poo for the sake of it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Megabound posted:

Yea, gently caress making poo poo for the sake of it

Yeah, I guess you are right. My post was a bit trollish.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Name post combo?

Edit: guess I can't talk

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Here's a whole bunch of small 3D printing things I've put together over the past year or so.

Knob for my coffee grinder, because the fine text and arrow rubbed off the original one.

Bluetooth Speaker Stand

Headphone and Controller stand

Lens Cap

Moon Bookends

Laptop Stand

Desk Organiser

Soldering Iron Stand and Wire Holder

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Microwave Transformer, some jumper cables, and a switch.

First test piece about a 8"x8" piece of Maple scrap.

Need to let it dry and sand it one more time but it works and I didn't kill myself :science: I have plans to incorporate lichtenberg figures into a humidor and other boxes. Going to play with this piece a bit and try some phosphorescent pigments and resin.

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 5, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nice! That's one of those things I've always kinda wanted to play with, but I'm too leery of the potential for horrible death.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Nice! That's one of those things I've always kinda wanted to play with, but I'm too leery of the potential for horrible death.

I mounted the transformer in that huge grey junction box and right now I have a pilot light in the switch to let me know there is power to the unit and then when I flip the switch it is on. I am unplugging it before adding more baking soda/water to wood. As it is it is "safe" but I am adding a turn key switch before the pilot light switch, a dead man switch after the pilot light switch, and a big emergency flashing red light on top of the box for when it is in use. I figure with 3 switches and 2 warning lights if I kill myself I deserved it.

Pulling the live capacitor out of the microwave was the most nerve racking. This thing would have a bit of a tingle touching the leads.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

JEEVES420 posted:

I mounted the transformer in that huge grey junction box and right now I have a pilot light in the switch to let me know there is power to the unit and then when I flip the switch it is on. I am unplugging it before adding more baking soda/water to wood. As it is it is "safe" but I am adding a turn key switch before the pilot light switch, a dead man switch after the pilot light switch, and a big emergency flashing red light on top of the box for when it is in use. I figure with 3 switches and 2 warning lights if I kill myself I deserved it.

Pulling the live capacitor out of the microwave was the most nerve racking. This thing would have a bit of a tingle touching the leads.

If I'm reading the diagram on that capacitor's label correctly, the 10M self-discharge resistor built into the cap would have prevented the tingle if you let it sit for a bit.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's pretty cool. How long did it take to blast the pattern shown? Is it a slow process?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

poeticoddity posted:

If I'm reading the diagram on that capacitor's label correctly, the 10M self-discharge resistor built into the cap would have prevented the tingle if you let it sit for a bit.

Probably, but i'm not trusting it.

Mister Sinewave posted:

That's pretty cool. How long did it take to blast the pattern shown? Is it a slow process?

Less than 10 minutes to touch 2 opposite corners, let them arc, move the clamps, re-wet the center, and then arc it again. It takes a few minutes for the burn to meet and form the arc from positive to ground. Distance of the leads will affect the amount of time and how wet the wood is will effect how much burn vs branching. There is a lot of different things you can do to effect the pattern but you will never end up with 2 identical pieces which is what makes them so interesting to me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Probably, but i'm not trusting it.

Less than 10 minutes to touch 2 opposite corners, let them arc, move the clamps, re-wet the center, and then arc it again. It takes a few minutes for the burn to meet and form the arc from positive to ground. Distance of the leads will affect the amount of time and how wet the wood is will effect how much burn vs branching. There is a lot of different things you can do to effect the pattern but you will never end up with 2 identical pieces which is what makes them so interesting to me.
How much control do you really have over the pattern? Is the burn real deeply charred like it would try and flake off with much handling? Is there a name for the process? My lumberyard has some samples of that recently and it looked neat.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Look up YouTube videos for burning Lichtenberg figures. Should get you started. You're definitely gonna die though, fyi, can I have your stuff?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Like Ante said Lichtenberg figures or fractal burning, tons of videos. The longer you leave it on the deeper the main vein will burn. The electricity is trying to make its way from "nail" to "nail" so longer distance, grain of wood, and wetness will affect what it is trying to do. Wood in itself is not conductive so you wet it with a baking soda water mix, as it burns it will dry out which will slow the path and cause it to burn more in the main vein. You can also wet only the path you want it to follow so you can sort of control the branching. Once you get the pattern you want sand it down and put a sealer finish like lacquer or resin and it won't come off on your hands. Some people bleach the wood after burning since the baking soda and burns will darken it. I just did the one quick "does it work" test of the 4 corners but plan to do a lot more testing with technique.

It is dangerous in that you are putting a very high voltage through a piece of wood and waiting for it to arc, applying water, and messing with a hot exposed clamp. People have died by loving up while doing it. Get a little too exited and try to wet the wood with it still on, no safety switches and just using a plug, getting too close and being that short point to ground, etc. It is electricity and unpredictable.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
It killed a guy who apparently thought he knew what he was doing so some woodworking association banned it from all their events and publications.

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/death-prompts-ban-fractal-burning

But really, what cool poo poo doesn't have the potential to kill you? Just don't be a lazy dummy.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

It killed a guy who apparently thought he knew what he was doing so some woodworking association banned it from all their events and publications.

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/death-prompts-ban-fractal-burning

But really, what cool poo poo doesn't have the potential to kill you? Just don't be a lazy dummy.

I just want to see the AWA meeting where they voted to ban it. "And a show of hands to ban it" 20 hands with a total of 60 fingers between them in the air...does a nub get a vote if there is technically no hand to show?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're doing something dangerous at least it looks cool as hell.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:stonklol:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Microwave Transformer, some jumper cables, and a switch.

First test piece about a 8"x8" piece of Maple scrap.

Need to let it dry and sand it one more time but it works and I didn't kill myself :science: I have plans to incorporate lichtenberg figures into a humidor and other boxes. Going to play with this piece a bit and try some phosphorescent pigments and resin.

This is really cool. Please don't die.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

So what you're saying is my work looks like a kind-of shoddy practical effect? I'm down with that.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Finally got around to shooting a video of my Fractal Burner. Mushroom Emergency Stop switch puts power to the box, pilot light shows it has power, switch makes the box "hot", and a dead man foot pedal that activates the transformer. Flashing light indicates the probes are hot as sometimes it doesn't appear to burn when the wood drys out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEMdjrZXm_8

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's a pretty nice setup, looks sharp!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Some resin filled burns. Hit with a blacklight for a few seconds to activate the phosphorescence.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

JEEVES420 posted:

I just want to see the AWA meeting where they voted to ban it. "And a show of hands to ban it" 20 hands with a total of 60 fingers between them in the air...does a nub get a vote if there is technically no hand to show?

Derek Lowe's Things I Won't Work With posted:

I’d call for all the chemists who’ve ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio.
Link

Also, the things you're making are very beautiful.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

JEEVES420 posted:

Some resin filled burns. Hit with a blacklight for a few seconds to activate the phosphorescence.

This is cool as hell. I wanted to do glowing resin fill on a wood walking stick at some point. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah that resin fill is really cool. I don’t mess with electricity so I wouldn’t try that but really neat stuff. Appreciate the safety stuff you built in too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Very cool final product, but yes -- the equipment/safety setup is somehow even more impressive to me.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Given what most people do is hook up a couple of alligator clips to it and a plug; I'd say yeah, the safety measures are impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

after seeing all the different setups, I have not seen one safe looking one. Lots of "I put this here 2x4 in between the switch and transformer so I don't accidentally hit it" or "I use the switch on my surge protector as the on/off".

Besides I am kind of a nerd when it comes to building stuff like this. I would honestly have more lights and switches on the box just so I could feel like I am in mission control or something...I was told the siren was a bit much so had to disconnect that :downs:

I should be able to print the OSHA safety stickers next week, I need to wait to add them to an existing print run as I just need a few 3x5 inch stickers and smallest roll of vinyl we have at work is 24 inches.