Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so as a non diablo player I had a question, do the goatmen shaman have an ability that does a tornado? I was told this by a cosplayer by I can't seem to find the attack in question...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alan Smithee posted:

so as a non diablo player I had a question, do the goatmen shaman have an ability that does a tornado? I was told this by a cosplayer by I can't seem to find the attack in question...

No. They can fire a translucent orb that does a bunch of cold damage and it moves in a serpentine path, but they don't make tornadoes.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Holyshoot posted:

Yea man. That my little pony pet sure fits the theme of diablo.

Obviously it doesn't fit at all but something about it makes me really happy because it makes grognards really upset. Plus I like it too. Either way that wasn't the point of my post, it was that eventually they'd add stuff like that totally unironically and then they couldn't even pretend like the pony stuff was just for a laugh

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I flipped gems towards the end of rmah and bought RoS with it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

No. They can fire a translucent orb that does a bunch of cold damage and it moves in a serpentine path, but they don't make tornadoes.

is this possibly from a world of warcraft enemy?

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I think they've gotten the goatmen confused with the snake people in Act 2. Some of them conjure tornadoes iirc.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alan Smithee posted:

is this possibly from a world of warcraft enemy?

I have no idea if there are any. There's a couple of bosses in Diablo III that can make tornadoes and so can wizards and another enemy can do a spin attack, but no regular enemies make tornadoes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I looked it up and it's definitely the "moon clan" shaman goatman. The wiki description mentions they fire frozen orb but I watched a playthrough and they seem to fire lightning bolts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aABJ3IWk06U

are the orbs they supposedly fire same as the one above? I am trying to get some details right and it's hard finding the right specific info since let's plays wasn't big on diablo 3 or at least not for documenting minutiae

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Hellburger99 posted:

Oh, and I was in the beta so I got a special tabard emblem for that and some guy gave me a bunch of poo poo for it in chat because it was unfair pay to win something something.

Ah, I remember this. They announced a feat of strength for closed beta players before the game was released and people lost their minds. I'm pretty sure you can still find the threads on Bnet. It was loving incredible. It's not too dissimilar to the current outrage. A lot of "SLAP IN THE FACE" etc.

There was a Hitler video released and I still come back to it from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRXUNqAqWU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't conceive that there's ever been a single human soul who's paid attention to someone else's banner, I can't even distinguish them. They're one of the most boring form of cosmetic I've ever seen, probably the single boringest by 2012, and from the zoom out they look like a catalog of procedurally generated tribal tattoos.

The fact that people were angry about it enough to make that video is incredible.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My vanilla story is that my wife cornered the gem market during certain hours of the day with ridiculous spreadsheets which bankrolled us through inferno. The game itself was such bullshit that she burned out at just before RoS and I stuck around to play a Crusader from 1-70 which included beating A5 once and then I quit until Season 08.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is there anything I can do with this dupe Focus I got? Don't have Restraint yet but I guess this doesn't work in that cube recipe.

Also cheers for all the what2do feedback :cheers:

It won't let you Convert Set Item? Then I'd say if you have the materials, maybe try to reroll it for better stats. Otherwise, disassemble it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

It won't let you Convert Set Item? Then I'd say if you have the materials, maybe try to reroll it for better stats. Otherwise, disassemble it.

Can’t convert 2-piece sets.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t convert 2-piece sets.

I couldn't remember if that was the case. Thanks. So, basically, reroll if you have the materials, else disassemble.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember having some ridiculously defensive sword and board Barb build that I used to do Butcher runs over and over. I made enough on the RMAH selling random all resist gear to cover the cost of the game and then got bored because I couldnt even step foot in Act 2 without getting murdered over and over by flies.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bardeh posted:

I remember having some ridiculously defensive sword and board Barb build that I used to do Butcher runs over and over. I made enough on the RMAH selling random all resist gear to cover the cost of the game and then got bored because I couldnt even step foot in Act 2 without getting murdered over and over by flies.
Killing bosses all the way through inferno diablo was relatively easy if you had their mechanics down. It's any trash mob that would be immortal and unkillable. This is release D3.

The hardest boss was the guy who spawned two trash mobs in a4.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 5, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Immortal minion rage timer bees. A2 in a single sentence.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
At release, bees were hell on wheels, especially with a barbarian.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Iirc it was a bottleneck since you had to complete a story event before you could leave the canyon, so you couldn't just run past the murderbees to the next waypoint. I know my friend and I were stuck there for awhile. I don't remember how we got past it. But for a lot of vanilla, we just ran A1 warden/butcher and then eventually A3, a couple specific spawn points that had good density. God what garbage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They publicly said inferno was tuned to be impossible at launch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No not impossible. They play tested it until all their testers said, "yeah this is just about the limits of our ability."

"And then we doubled it." --Jay loving Wilson

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

And then people beat it in less than a week and Jay Wilson threw a giant baby temper tantrum

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn’t it DHs “abusing” an invincibility mechanic ?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

euphronius posted:

Dameius posted:

No not impossible. They play tested it until all their testers said, "yeah this is just about the limits of our ability."

"And then we doubled it." --Jay loving Wilson

IcePhoenix posted:

And then people beat it in less than a week and Jay Wilson threw a giant baby temper tantrum

lmao what the hell

mewse
May 2, 2006

The infinite scaling of GRs is probably the uncapped difficulty they intended for Inferno

Hauki
May 11, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

lmao what the hell

none of that is hyperbole

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

lmao what the hell

jay_wilson.txt

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

IIRC weren’t stats completely random too? So you could end up with a legendary mojo or wand where it had it’s stats be dexterity and strength? Also lmao at the monk using dexterity because during launch they didn’t get bonus health from their main stat and would get plowed into the ground at higher difficulty anytime they got into melee range of things that lasted long enough to fight back

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Didn't that come because there was a big flaw in how prism armor worked for wizzies? How it reduced all damage to a small percentage of your health, so you roll all vit off your gear and take a good amount of life steal/per hit anf become immortal?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Hauki posted:

none of that is hyperbole

Waiting for someone to post actual evidence due to actual documented Goon hyperbole.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Go find it yourself. It was a literal live interview iirc

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
The tuning of Inferno was kind of the bnet forum poster's fault. Fans kept saying "make this game really hard!" and then they listened to that and had backlash.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

Waiting for someone to post actual evidence due to actual documented Goon hyperbole.
https://www.vg247.com/2012/05/07/diablo-iii-inferno-mode-twice-as-difficult-as-internal-testers-approved/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jay was a treasure of bad ideas:

Question: Why don't bosses guarantee decent drops on your first kill in Nightmare or Hell? This leaves 30-60 feeing VERY dull and boring because you're not getting your loot fix. It's not a question of how do I gear up, but a statement in that beating a boss that drops two bad blues is very disheartening and is a very NEGATIVE reinforcement for continued play.

Answer: (Jay): This was my decision, and I'll start by saying that Wyatt and Andrew have talked me out of it. In a future patch (not 1.0.3) we'll add this.
But so you know my reasoning I think this just moves the problem. Design intent is that at end-game we want you to stack NV and 'then' kill bosses to make farming loot more interesting. To facilitate this bosses have to stop dropping tons of rares 'at some point'.
My worry was that if it was at Inferno everyone would be like 'WTF why Inferno hardest difficulty with worst loot!?!??!' instead of the current complaint.
The reason I've decided my decision was wrong is the gap that exists between Normal first time drops and the NV farming of Inferno.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Scumbag posted:

I clearly remember the flying insects in Act 2 Inferno were just completely impossible on my Barbarian. I could either reroll, or carry on running Act 1 for more all resist gear. I just uninstalled the game because it was ridiculous.

All resist was the holy grail of stats and if you found some gear with a decent amount of it combined with even half decent primary stats it would sell for real money.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 5, 2018

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

Go find it yourself. It was a literal live interview iirc

So where's the bit about Jay Wilson throwing a tantrum?

I know he's a lousy dev, but there's nothing here that validates his alleged hissy fit.

Edit:

Bardeh posted:

I clearly remember the flying insects in Act 2 Inferno were just completely impossible on my Barbarian. I could either reroll, or carry on running Act 1 for more all resist gear. I just uninstalled the game because it was ridiculous.

Oh, I know the game was bullshit garbage at launch and I ran into similar issues with my Barb main when it came out (hence the Jay Wilson comment above) I was mostly wondering about him going apeshit over it not being hard enough cause I like to see trainwrecks.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 5, 2018

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I completely forgot about NV. God drat. Like i kinda see what Jay was going for and can see how better implementation would have made it ok, but boy did they drop the ball on making sure it was still FUN to play.

mewse
May 2, 2006

For others like me that didn't play vanilla

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nephalem_Valor

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I remember watching Kripp on his barb and that one dude on sorc beating diablo inferno in hardcore. And being the only ones to do it because the next day it was all nerfed. Was pretty cool to watch. However the sorc had to use a bug where when you respawn your hydra it healed you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mewse posted:

For others like me that didn't play vanilla

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nephalem_Valor

Yikes